Which would you rather have? Career Slam or 5 titles of the same slam? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?

Career Slam 77 59.23%
5 titles of the same slam 53 40.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #46
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which would you rather have? Career Slam or 5 titles of the same slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
so Davenport has 3 fluke Slams
and Serena - fluke Roland Garros title

Very brave statement )))
Looking back at Rena career and how she played on clay, you can say so but her 02 year is more close to GOAT all year statement about Calendar Career Slam winners, also she proved that she's great dominant player. You can't just pick one particular slam win without context to season player played and other slams results that year. Try harder to overblown Pova's career slam, i know you can do better than this
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #47
country flag Mixal

Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post
Fluke Career Slam spanning almost a decade to accomplish & made possible by cupcake draws don't equate winning multiple slams in a season and defending same. Henin was off 2yrs from the tour and still came back to woop this phony player to shreds on clay. Of course, pova defeated SARA ERRANI to win FO

Not long ago, pova was labelled "Qeen of Grass" just b/cos she won Wimby 04 and couple of next to nothing MM grass titles in 05 just to front. Um.....FF to 2012, any reason why we no longer hear them call her "Queen of Grass" anymore? I think we all know the answer to that. Now, according to her hallucinating fans, the "fraud in pova" is now "Queen of Clay" just b/cos....... . 2013 will be here soon and we would see how their fraudulent claim holds up. As history thaught us in the past, the "Queen of Australia" joke turned out to be an epic fail as was the "Queen of USO & Hardcourt" nonsense they peddled on TF for years.
Delusional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
What's with these Mashatards, these day?! Career-slam this and that?! Maria has 4 majors TOTAL..it's great that she managed to win all 4 once...but let's stop the delusion that it somehow means that she is in ANY conversation about greatness.

Her position is along with Kim Clijsters/ Martina Hingis..so stop with the hyping like Maria's somehow in the Juju/Vee group.
Pressed.

NashaP (who is a troll, btw) said that it wasn't Sharapova vs. some other player because no other player has 5 of the same, but even when Sharapova fanbase doesn't bring Maria into discussion, be sure that Serena's fanbase will. Ugh.

Anyway, 5 slams.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #48
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Looking back at Rena career and how she played on clay, you can say so but her 02 year is more close to GOAT all year statement about Calendar Career Slam winners, also she proved that she's great dominant player. You can't just pick one particular slam win without context to season player played and other slams results that year. Try harder to overblown Pova's career slam, i know you can do better than this
Slam can be fluke if player once reached Final and won it because of the lucky draw, injured main opponents , but if player has Finals in addition to the Slam and multiple Semifinals , it means her Major title is well deserved

for instance Myskina was only once in Semi + Final +Won Title = probably fluke

You can't say it about Sharapova , so try harder

by the way, OP should clearify the topic of discussion because 5 Slams + 3 Finals on all other Slams and 5 Slams and no Finals or even no QF on all other Slams are 3 different situations

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #49
country flag acetoace

acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixal View Post
Delusional.

Pressed.

NashaP (who is a troll, btw) said that it wasn't Sharapova vs. some other player because no other player has 5 of the same, but even when Sharapova fanbase doesn't bring Maria into discussion, be sure that Serena's fanbase will. Ugh.

Anyway, 5 slams.
Woow.... I can see how great a discerning mind u have Obviously u can't read between the lines. Are u saying that, despite the fact u know NashaP to be a pova fan and a deranged troll, u actually need to see "pova's name expressly mentioned in his/her original post before u can understand that the purpose of his/her thread was about pova and how to polish pova record to look better than it stands?

Ever heard of drawing conclusions by implication? Since pova won FO, I have never seen career slam mentioned in TF than anytime in the annals of the forum.
acetoace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #50
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

4 fluke slams.
Some people need a dictionary.

How many more threads will acetoace show his ass in during the offseason?
faboozadoo15 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #51
country flag atominside

atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post
Woow.... I can see how great a discerning mind u have Obviously u can't read between the lines. Are u saying that, despite the fact u know NashaP to be a pova fan and a deranged troll, u actually need to see "pova's name expressly mentioned in his/her original post before u can understand that the purpose of his/her thread was about pova and how to polish pova record to look better than it stands?

Ever heard of drawing conclusions by implication? Since pova won FO, I have never seen career slam mentioned in TF than anytime in the annals of the forum.
maybe because its happened recently and the last time a woman did it was 9 years ago.

That 4 fluke slams statement
acetoace is an embarassment to serena fans.
atominside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #52
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Slam can be fluke if player once reached Final and won it because of the lucky draw, injured main opponents , but if player has Finals in addition to the Slam and multiple Semifinals , it means her Major title is well deserved

for instance Myskina was only once in Semi + Final +Won Title = probably fluke

You can't say it about Sharapova , so try harder

by the way, OP should clearify the topic of discussion because 5 Slams + 3 Finals on all other Slams and 5 Slams and no Finals or even no QF on all other Slams are 3 different situations
Constantly reaching F\SF at slams can be flip-flopped from "this player consistent on this surface" to "this player is mental midget who can't win tittle at the biggest stage", so only wins that counts when all set and done.

Let's say we have two players who spend 10years on tour and both won 4 slam titles but

Player A: Won 4 slams on all different surfaces without winning more than one slam a year and never had back to back years of slam wins

Player B: Won 4 slams on one surface and had at least one back to back year of slam wins

For me player B is greater than player A because having more than one slam at one particular surface means you're the best player on that surface while having 4 titles on 4 different surfaces means that somehow gods of the draw helped you to get them.

anyway, 5 slams >>>> 4 slams, so try harder.
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #53
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Constantly reaching F\SF at slams can be flip-flopped from "this player consistent on this surface" to "this player is mental midget who can't win tittle at the biggest stage", so only wins that counts when all set and done.

Let's say we have two players who spend 10years on tour and both won 4 slam titles but

Player A: Won 4 slams on all different surfaces without winning more than one slam a year and never had back to back years of slam wins

Player B: Won 4 slams on one surface and had at least one back to back year of slam wins

For me player B is greater than player A because having more than one slam at one particular surface means you're the best player on that surface while having 4 titles on 4 different surfaces means that somehow gods of the draw helped you to get them.

SgtKimmy is that you?
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #54
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

absolutely wrong, because player who could win 4 Slams on clay may suck on hard and grass and considered to be a clay warm and not taken seriously anywhere except Roland Garros ....

Actually better player is the one who can win more titles, win on all surfaces , be competitive on all Majors. Lindsay Davenport was a much better player than Kuerten , same for Capriati

That's my point

If in your opinion Kuerten is better than these 2 , nobody should take your posts serious anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
SgtKimmy is that you?
i guess he is using the same ip ))) who can check it?

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #55
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atominside View Post
maybe because its happened recently and the last time a woman did it was 9 years ago.

That 4 fluke slams statement
acetoace is an embarassment to serena fans.
More like an embarrassment to human race.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #56
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since Sharapova completed Career GS it suddenly became a totally irrelevant thing according to TF. Winning the 5th Slam @ Marbella is more important these days than some phoney CGS We've already established that Sharapova is the worst thing that happened to women's tennis in the past ten years so why bother with these threads again and again?
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #57
country flag Rest Maria!

Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute

^
It was a Pova stan who opened this thread
Rest Maria! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #58
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
^
It was a Pova stan who opened this thread
Doesn't matter, the vultures are searching for the prey
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14
Monzanator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #59
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
Ever since Sharapova completed Career GS it suddenly became a totally irrelevant thing according to TF. Winning the 5th Slam @ Marbella is more important these days than some phoney CGS We've already established that Sharapova is the worst thing that happened to women's tennis in the past ten years so why bother with these threads again and again?
Only 3 players have, and probably ever will, win the Marbella slam. It's the stuff of legends.

I'd take 5 slams. Only having one on each surface is rather telling, and I really would be shocked if Maria didn't win another slam.

instargram
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #60
country flag NashaMasha

Lindsay Davenport on the Wertheim tweet ("what unites the likes of Davenport, Seles, Henin, Hingis - they've never won CGS") answered

Lindsay Davenport ‏@LDavenport76

I believe winning a career grand slam puts her at a higher level in history books even though (so far) she's 'only' won 4 slams.

It's competent opinion.....

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player