Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

2002 106 83.46%
2012 21 16.54%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #46
country flag Trickle
Cetkovstan

Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute Trickle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

In hindsight, the fact that Venus has 7 slams herself strengthens Serena's 2002. So 2002.
Trickle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #47
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

i would say 2012......the level of domination is phenomenal......48-2 or something of her last 50 matches......she was effectively few games away from beating razzano and winning the french open as well this year......

2002 she was probably more strong physically but it really doesn't matter if she can play like she did this year.....

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #48
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
No she wouldnt. 2012 Serena isn't serving that much better. It's a matter of subtle improvements and the level of competition today.

Additionally, Serena is not even nearly as agile on the return.
No way Serena served close to this level in 2002. Her placement, disguise and clutchness on this shot its been on another level since 2010.
Roookie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #49
country flag Z1988

Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold Z1988 is a splendid one to behold

I have to give a little edge to 2002; due to her inconsistency in the first half of her 2012 season...
Z1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #50
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute

1st round loss in a Slam? How could that be included in her "best year"?

Sure she got better and made it one of her "best years"...

...I think there has to be another French Open victory in order to even bring the question up...

...but let us hope that 2013 puts us in a place where we really have to compare it to Serena 2002.

I was there when the ALL BLACKS won the World Cup in 2011!!!

"I don't know that I changed all that much. They just found somebody worse." - Aging tennis bad boy Jimmy Connors, referring to John McEnroe, in 1984.

There can never be too many "Sister Slams!"
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #51
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

I was being nostalgic and watching some of Serena's 2002 and 2003 matches, especially the ones against Henin, Capriati, and Mauresmo.

Serena's serve has improved TREMENDOUSLY. AND! Her groundstrokes today have more juice and accuracy. 2012 Serena definitely get a set off 2002 Serena, no doubt. I think 2002's movement would expose 2012's Serena LACK of movement in the end though.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #52
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
I was being nostalgic and watching some of Serena's 2002 and 2003 matches, especially the ones against Henin, Capriati, and Mauresmo.

Serena's serve has improved TREMENDOUSLY. AND! Her groundstrokes today have more juice and accuracy. 2012 Serena definitely get a set off 2002 Serena, no doubt. I think 2002's movement would expose 2012's Serena LACK of movement in the end though.
Did you see the Paris indoors match in 2003 against Mauresmo. It is one of my favorites. Momo came out storming and Serena got into her grove and Muaresmo was over.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #53
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a comparison, imo. 2002 was the best year for her, even if I'm highly suspicious of her French Open win.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #54
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roookie View Post
No way Serena served close to this level in 2002. Her placement, disguise and clutchness on this shot its been on another level since 2010.
But remember, along with the aces comes practically the same amount of double faults. They pretty much go hand-in-hand for her serve.

She still has THE best serve on the WTA, though.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #55
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

'02 Serena's serve wasn't too shabby either, no?! plus then she had the movement..people act like it's just now that Serena learned to serve. Serena ALWAYS had the serve. nowadays she relies more on it, but in the past it was still good for 6 aces a match.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #56
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post

I did the same and noticed Serena 2002 played a lot more to the middle. In the last couple of years she places the balls in the corners more often with less UE's (AO Final vs Henin is a good example of where the difference started to show). Serena 2012 movement is really good, not as good as 2002, but it's not that far off.

The slam results show 2002 was her best year, but she's playing her best ever in 2012 (not the whole year, but PEAK-wise). here's why:

- Improved shot placement (2012)
- improved serve (2012)
- improved variety (2012)
- slightly better movement (2002)

Experienced Serena takes it! but the difference is small..
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #57
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1988 View Post
I have to give a little edge to 2002; due to her inconsistency in the first half of her 2012 season...
The inconsistency was because of the long lay off ---> near death experience??? shouldn't be counted.

she beat tougher competition in 2002 so it was her best season, but peak play is 2012
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #58
country flag Alejandrawrrr

Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute Alejandrawrrr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
Not really a comparison, imo. 2002 was the best year for her, even if I'm highly suspicious of her French Open win.
Suspicious? What's there to be suspicious of? Do you think she snuck into the stadium and stole it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
But remember, along with the aces comes practically the same amount of double faults. They pretty much go hand-in-hand for her serve.

She still has THE best serve on the WTA, though.
... That's not true

(Anyone playing Sharapova)
Alejandrawrrr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #59
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsova View Post
Suspicious? What's there to be suspicious of? Do you think she snuck into the stadium and stole it?

... That's not true
Sanctutary, sis.

█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #60
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

No way is Serena better off the ground now. Back in '02/03, her shots had so much leverage, huge thudding power complimented by great width and accuracy. Just look at the US Open final of 2002- she made Venus look underpowered and slow, such was the sheer insanity of her hitting.

Nowadays Serena is certainly more inventive on court, and can probably gage the tempo of a match much better. Also she has refined her serve to the extent that it becomes borderline unplayable when serving over 60%.

Movement wise, she's nowhere near the athlete she was 10 years ago. But that's to be expected obviously. What Serena has done is adapt completely to the changing conditions and limitations in her game, and that is the proof of an enduring champion. Making compromises, but not at the expense of limiting your results.

As for the question, 2002>>2012.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote