What are your favourite museums/art galleries? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #16
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are your favourite museums/art galleries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Lin View Post
No Forbidden City?
I love the Forbidden City but I wouldn't call it a museum although I know there are many displays there. Also, though I love it, due to its immense size and layout, it's hard to see it all in one visit. I do like museums/tourist attractions that are well laid out to make my visits easier! Though I can't really complain about the Forbidden City, can I!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsonice View Post
Out of curiosity, why don't you like the National Palace in Taipei?

I love the Met and MoMA. Guggenheim, not so much.
I also like the Getty because it makes for a wonderful day trip. I find the Denver Art Museum pretty underrated.

ETA: Smithsonian holds a special place in my heart for being the first museum I fell in love with.
Expectations. I read that it was one of the top 5 museums in the world and I was so excited about seeing what was on offer....pottery, more pottery, ah more pottery...wonder what's in here - pottery! I think having a diverse collection can be important! I'm not a big fan of pottery, even Greek pottery (I studied classical studies in school and at university) I did love the huge Buddha statues there big plus for me in a museum is being allowed to take pictures!! The MET, Louvre and British Museums all allow you to take pics so I think once you have your flash off it should be okay in most cases.

Anyway, nice list. Thanks for contributing!

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #17
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
The Pergamon is absolutely stunning, and after 7 visits to Berlin, it's still the only museum I've been to there. I went to the C/O gallery when they had the Helmut Newton exhibit. It was nice.

My favorite is still the MET here in NYC. I love that I can go for $1 and just spend my day walking around.

Kelvingrove in Glasgow is pretty stellar. The national gallery in Dublin, while super tiny, is a great place to check out if you want to take 45 minutes off the day and just see some great art. I was there like three weeks ago. It's nice.

LOVE the Leopold in Vienna. Egon Schiele is one of my most favorite, favorite artists of all time so I always make a point to go there. (I've only been twice; the first time, I almost cried.)

Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna is also magnificent. And it's about to get drop-dead gorgeous in the spring when they open up a new wing dedicated to Hapsburg treasures!!

The Vatican Museum is great; the Van Gogh museum is awesome; I love all three of the big museums in Madrid (though I don't like the city): Thyssens, Prado, Reina Sofia. I also really like Serralves in Porto. The National Gallery in both Oslo and Zurich are great, too. I love going there for the works of Munch and Chagall, respectively.
Was that the only time you had been to the National Gallery in Dublin? About 70-80% of the museum has been closed off for much of the year for renovations. No great loss as the most treasured work's are still on display. I love Carravagio's "The Taking of Christ" even though I don't usually like very dark paintings. It's a bit of a shame though because part of the museum is what looks like a former ballroom and it's definitely the nicest space in the museum.

Also, did you see William John Leech's "A Convent Garden, Brittany" in the side gallery of Irish art which is also still open. You can see it here:

http://www.nationalgallery.ie/en/Col..._Painting.aspx

Still kicking myself for not visiting the Kunstorisches Museum but I went to the State Hall instead which was beautiful. Still, I'll have to go one day.

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #18
country flag kwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
You can't get a better deal in the world than the British Museum...exceptional pieces of world history from all around the world for free (sacking the Greeks and Egyptians, though )

On another note, Auschwitz-Birkenau museums in Poland were something surreal. Truly shocking and once in a life experience. You have to be really strong not too shed a tear or two there
I mean, a room full of the original shoes the prisoners left before entering "the shower", another room full of their original hair, another one full of their suitcases...
On a similar note, the Tuol Sleng/S21 prison in Phnom Penh and the nearby Killing Fields are both experiences that will leave you reeling. I usually don't like audio guides but all visitors to The Killing Fields are given an audio guide and then people are free to follow the "trail." It's kind of nice because you listen to accounts from survivors and even hear old recordings (some of the perpetrators!) Everyone walks around in silence, which really is as it should be and ensures that the place maintains its solemnity. You can enter the Wat where many bones and skulls are kept and see trees from which palms were stripped and used to cut people's throats. You can even see the tree which living babies' heads were dashed against It's just so far beyond harrowing and at the same time an incredible insight into our species. It's an eye-opening experience. I think Cambodia is without a doubt the most special country I've been to in Asia, if not the whole world.

I like the point you raised about treasures having been taken from other countries to the west, especially Western Europe. What do people think of this? I think in many cases, it was outright theft but in other cases I think people had a genuine interest in preserving treasures that they felt might be lost, damaged or destroyed. I deplore virtually every action taken by Colonial Britain (and many of its opportunistic colonialists/business people) but in the case of the Elgin Marbles...I'm not so sure. I always think of how badly damaged the Parthenon was when it was shelled by the Venetians (damned Venetians!) It wasn't the Greeks fault that the Turks were storing gunpowder in the Parthenon. How could they protect their cultural assets whilst being oppressed! It is said that the roof of the Parthenon was largely intact until that attack but nothing remained after, columns fell or were damaged and it is also said that a lot of the achitraves, triglyphs, metopes and much of the frieze was damaged or destroyed!

I think efforts should be made to return much of what was taken. Elgin did his job, he preserved his "marbles" but now they should be returned. There's no reason not to really.

Love this statue in Athens:

Athlete by keithmaguire, on Flickr

In Motion by keithmaguire, on Flickr

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #19
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Was that the only time you had been to the National Gallery in Dublin? About 70-80% of the museum has been closed off for much of the year for renovations. No great loss as the most treasured work's are still on display. I love Carravagio's "The Taking of Christ" even though I don't usually like very dark paintings. It's a bit of a shame though because part of the museum is what looks like a former ballroom and it's definitely the nicest space in the museum.

Also, did you see William John Leech's "A Convent Garden, Brittany" in the side gallery of Irish art which is also still open. You can see it here:

http://www.nationalgallery.ie/en/Col..._Painting.aspx

Still kicking myself for not visiting the Kunstorisches Museum but I went to the State Hall instead which was beautiful. Still, I'll have to go one day.
I also went almost four years ago when I went to Dublin for New Year. And I saw the museum back when it was larger and the entrance was on Merrion - is that right? It was beautiful then. And totally agree about The Taking of Christ. It's fabulous, and really the overall quality of paintings there is fantastic.

I didn't get to see the Leech, but I looked it up, and I now regret paying less attention to the Irish paintings when I did my walk through.

During my stay most recent visit, I stayed at Merrion Hotel, which has a pretty incredible collection of art, too!

The Kunst Museum in Vienna is absolutely incredible. I think that the massive Klimt they have up won't be accessible after a few more weeks (here's a photo I took of a part of it: http://instagram.com/p/QZ-Ty-zOk2/), but the paintings they've got there are just ridiculous. Carravagio, Titian, Bruegel, Rubens (another of my favorites)...And next year that wing with the Hapsburg trinkets is going to mind-bogglingly amazing.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #20
country flag kwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
I also went almost four years ago when I went to Dublin for New Year. And I saw the museum back when it was larger and the entrance was on Merrion - is that right? It was beautiful then. And totally agree about The Taking of Christ. It's fabulous, and really the overall quality of paintings there is fantastic.

I didn't get to see the Leech, but I looked it up, and I now regret paying less attention to the Irish paintings when I did my walk through.

During my stay most recent visit, I stayed at Merrion Hotel, which has a pretty incredible collection of art, too!

The Kunst Museum in Vienna is absolutely incredible. I think that the massive Klimt they have up won't be accessible after a few more weeks (here's a photo I took of a part of it: http://instagram.com/p/QZ-Ty-zOk2/), but the paintings they've got there are just ridiculous. Carravagio, Titian, Bruegel, Rubens (another of my favorites)...And next year that wing with the Hapsburg trinkets is going to mind-bogglingly amazing.
Yeah, the quality's quite good at the museum considering Ireland's history. It's good that it's free too. I hope that means that people who might not usually visit an art gallery or museum would take a look and take an interest in a couple of the pieces. The Irish art is pretty good (esp. Jack B. Yeats, brother of William) but you didn't miss out on anything truly incredible except for this painting by Leech and a couple of other works. My one main problem with the museum is that zero photography is allowed. I think it's nice to render a piece of art through photography as you have done well with your picture of the Klimt.

I'll have to check out the Merrion Hotel some time!

Next time I go to Vienna, I think much of my time and money will be devoted to seeing the museums. Do you know if there's a museum pass or a Vienna card? Vienna's one of my absolute favourite cities in the world. I think it's just gorgeous!!

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #21
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Museums I'm kicking myself for not visiting when I had the chance:
The Doge's Palace Museum, Venice
I've been there. This is a very interesting museum. You really get a feel for the power of Venice in the past. There are some excellent paintings there also.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #22
country flag olivero

olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone has been to Quai Branly Museum in Paris? Heard it's awesome.
olivero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #23
country flag Mynarco
INAZUMA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

++++:
Heritage Museum, St. Petersburg
Le Louvre, Paris (+ Orsay)
Del Prado, Madrid

----:
Anne Frank House (during peak times, more like a pack of sardine than actually visiting a museum) + VG Museum (too pricey + commercial) + Rijkmuseum (LONG queues)

Honorable mention: London is a wicked city with MANY good museums for us aficionados - 2 free galleries about paintings and portraits, one BIG museum about history, one interesting one about warfare, one about modern arts(Tate Modern), two about traditional arts(V&A,Tate Britain). I reckon one week isn't enough.

I am gutted I didn't go to Kelvingrove when in Glasgow
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Last edited by Mynarco : Nov 10th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #24
country flag kwilliams

I'd love to visit a big museum such as the hermitage in Russia!

Kelvingrove is cool. They've got a bit of everything!! I'm glad a couple of other people have mentioned it. I hadn't heard about it before I went there.

Robed Woman by keithmaguire, on Flickr

Warrior's Plume by keithmaguire, on Flickr

William Wallace by keithmaguire, on Flickr

Main Hall by keithmaguire, on Flickr

Hallway by keithmaguire, on Flickr

Hall by keithmaguire, on Flickr

Did anybody else bash their shins trying to get up some of the steeper steps in the Anne Frank Huis? I'll always remember the picture of the statue of Anne Frank with a swastika spray painted on it. You think you know just how deep the hate runs then you see that even now someone will deface a memorial to a child!

Graffitti on the Anne Frank Statue by keithmaguire, on Flickr

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #25
country flag Mynarco
INAZUMA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Hermitage is fun. I took two days to visit the whole thing and I got the tickets for free (ISIC card)
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #26
country flag pierce85

pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute pierce85 has a reputation beyond repute

OP you forgot the new Acropolis museum, a true jewel in Athens

Dishonourable mention for me to the British museum for its most popular collection is stolen greek antiquities...

I have visited many museums around the world, my favourite are

Musee d'Orsay
Louvre
Museo Dali---Figueres
MoMA
Guggenheim NYC and Bilbao
MET--- So and so loved some collections, was indifferent towards others but the museum was huge
Museo Picasso Barcelona
Miro museum
La Pedrera
pierce85 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #27
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

London
The National Portrait Gallery
Saatchi Gallery
Tate Britain

(sometimes Tate Modern dependant on exhibition)

International
Nationalmuseum in Sweden
MoMA in NYC (Tim Burton exhibition was )
The MET in NYC
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #28
country flag kwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce85 View Post
OP you forgot the new Acropolis museum, a true jewel in Athens

Dishonourable mention for me to the British museum for its most popular collection is stolen greek antiquities...

I have visited many museums around the world, my favourite are

Musee d'Orsay
Louvre
Museo Dali---Figueres
MoMA
Guggenheim NYC and Bilbao
MET--- So and so loved some collections, was indifferent towards others but the museum was huge
Museo Picasso Barcelona
Miro museum
La Pedrera
So the British Museum is dishonourable but The Louvre is fine?

I really wish I had been to the Acropolis Museum - I should've put it in my kicking myself list. There's always next time.

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #29
country flag antonella

antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute

The California Palace of the Legion of Honor in San Francisco needs to be mentioned. Historical and contemporary European art (great Rodin collection!) on one of the most beautiful locations on Earth:

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #30
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I want to visit the MoMA so bad too

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote