WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #16
country flag allhingis

allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light
Re: WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW

ATP idiots, are the players involved in this kind of negotiation?
allhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #17
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
Just to play Devil's advocate here for a moment, what exactly is the motive behind Ellison's offer to increase prize money by $800K? Is he doing it because he wants tennis players to have more money or is he trying to set Indian Wells apart from the other Masters tournaments? If, as I suspect, the latter then that raises a further question.

If you have a Masters series where one tournament is giving out more nearly twice as much in prize money as most of the other events, doesn't that undermine the integrety of the series. After all, these tournaments are supposed to be on a par with each other. They have equal ranking points and are supposed to carry the same prestige. If Indian Wells were to increase prize money by $800K, the Masters events would look like this:

Indian Wells - $5.495 million
Miami - $3.973M
Madrid - $3.940M
Shanghai - 3.531M
Rome - $3.096M
Paris - $3.096M
Monte Carlo - $3.096M
Cincinnatti - $2.825M
Rogers Cup - $2.649M

If Ellison is trying to raise Indian Wells' status above that of other Masters Series events, are the ATP really being unreasonable in stopping that from happening.
Miami and IW will always have bigger prize money due to the 96 players draw.
Dubai has a Premier event. The prize money is about 2 millions dollars. Nobody is complaining.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #18
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post

Ellison: Yeah, sure. Love those guys. Heck, Nadal even stayed at one of my homes last year, remember? Nice kid, but left water bottles under all the chairs. Anyway, the tennis and players and the money -- let me guess: Someone asked where to send the thank-you note? Tell 'em not to worry about it.

Ellison: Call up Tim Finchem for me, would you? Pretty sure my money is good with the PGA Tour guys.

I think Ellison wants something we don't know and somebody (IMG ? ) is denying him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJJ View Post
And people are worried about Beijing trying to become the fifth slam

China Open is run/presented by IMG + CCTV.

Quote:
Just to play Devil's advocate here for a moment, what exactly is the motive behind Ellison's offer to increase prize money by $800K? ...

Miami - $3.973M
Madrid - $3.940M
Shanghai - 3.531M
Rome - $3.096M
Paris - $3.096M
Monte Carlo - $3.096M
Cincinnatti - $2.825M
Rogers Cup - $2.649M

If Ellison is trying to raise Indian Wells' status above that of other Masters Series events, are the ATP really being unreasonable in stopping that from happening.

Ellison knew what he got into and knew where the ATP's interest lies. He is just being a prick because he was denied of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhingis View Post
ATP idiots, are the players involved in this kind of negotiation?
It's not about the players, the ATP/WTA, tennis, sports, business, etc .... it's all about Ellison .
PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #19
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The ATP Tour Board of Directors passed on a proposal by the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells to increase its prize money by at least $800,000, in which most of the increase would be distributed among winners of the first three rounds. Tournament CEO Raymond Moore told the Desert Sun that the event offered to increase prize money by 29 percent or $1.6 million ($800,000 would also go to WTA players), but the ATP board voted 3-3, with CEO Brad Drewett abstaining
.A source told TENNIS.com that the tournament representatives on the ATP Board voted against the increase, with the player representatives voting for it.
ATP - What a disgrace........

by the way
Quote:
It is unclear how much Indian Wells proposed to give players in the first three rounds of 2013, but Moore said there would be small raises for the quarterfinalists and semifinalists, but no increases for the runner-up or champion. The ATP Players Council has been advocating for a greater share of prize money to go to lower-rounds winners.
I just don't get it , IW wanted to do what everybody wants : to increase reward for earlier rounds , but even this offer denied

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #20
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

It might just be a show.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #21
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by الحاجّ مالك View Post
What tournament is this?
Indian Wells (Premier Mandartory)

By the way , according to Stakhovski ATP denied this offer from IW not because of the sum of money and this huge intimidating(for others) prize fund , but more because this increase was to be distributed among earlier rounds , with no increase to the winner and low increase to semi/quarterfinalists....

It looks even more worse now

Quote:
Sergiy Stakhovsky ‏@Stako_tennis

Hard to understand the ATP decision on Indian Wells ...don't allow tournament to increase their prize money is absurd..

@TennisReporters the distribution was not by the book..but it was not this year ether ..next year would be significant increase in 1st rds..

In the ATP Rulebook there is a %key for PM distribution for every TIER of Tournaments..
It seems to me that he means that ATP denied offer for significant increase in 1st-4thR prize money in IW with slight increase in QF/SF and no increase in F/W , just because it's against their rules......

That's how ATP takes care about "struggling for a living" not top50 players..... Nice from them

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Nov 9th, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #22
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just to play Devil's advocate here for a moment, what exactly is the motive behind Ellison's offer to increase prize money by $800K? Is he doing it because he wants tennis players to have more money or is he trying to set Indian Wells apart from the other Masters tournaments? If, as I suspect, the latter then that raises a further question.

If you have a Masters series where one tournament is giving out more nearly twice as much in prize money as most of the other events, doesn't that undermine the integrety of the series. After all, these tournaments are supposed to be on a par with each other. They have equal ranking points and are supposed to carry the same prestige. If Indian Wells were to increase prize money by $800K, the Masters events would look like this:

Miami - $3.973M
Madrid - $3.940M
Shanghai - 3.531M
Rome - $3.096M
Paris - $3.096M
Monte Carlo - $3.096M
Cincinnatti - $2.825M
Rogers Cup - $2.649M

What's wrong with that?

So what if Larry Ellison wants to put IW apart in terms of money and in terms of amenities like HawkEye on every court. These are good things, not bad. It's not like Larry is demanding that the IW winners and losers get more points than other Masters events or something like that. For the sake of bureaucratic uniformity they could always name the extra prize money a "bonus" or whatever. So ATP's presented excuse doesn't pass the common-sense test, and the ATP CEO's abstention is a chicken shit coward move (he obviously is closer to IMG & co rather than the players, which is a disgrace since his organization is supposed to be a players organization).

For analogy: the Australian Open prize money is almost double the amount payed by Wimbledon, yet Wimbledon and the other slams are not destroyed by AO's move. They have stuck and kept their own prize money limits.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #23
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Indian Wells (Premier Mandartory)

By the way , according to Stakhovski ATP denied this offer from IW not because of the sum of money and this huge intimidating(for others) prize fund , but more because this increase was to be distributed among earlier rounds , with no increase to the winner and low increase to semi/quarterfinalists....

It looks even more worse now

It seems to me that he means that ATP denied offer for significant increase in 1st-4thR prize money in IW with slight increase in QF/SF and no increase in F/W , just because it's against their rules......

That's how ATP takes care about "struggling for a living" not top50 players..... Nice from them
They had to come up with some BS to deny their responsibility. As he said in the tweet "but it was not this year ether", so...
C. Drone is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #24
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its funny, no one mentions this point of view when ppl want unreasonable raise for slam 1st rounds even if it would exceed the prize money of winning an ATP/WTA MM title. Wouldnt that hurt small tournaments and whole ATP/WTA tour?
double standards much?
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #25
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
Surprised this hasn't been discussed.

Assuming the women would have received the same 800k boost in prize money as well, interesting to know if the issue was discussed with the WTA at all?
Quote:
One suspects that every player from Roger Federer to the likely first-round losers is hurling crockery, wondering why his own organization would take money off the table. But one also wonders how this went over with Ellison.
Threw it back in Larry Ellison's egomaniac-pompous-elitist face.
LUVS IT!!
SERENA: "I hate losing more than I love winning" | RVD: Knowledge(able)…?- In issues researched that interests me and affect my life directly. | Understand(ing)…?- Many subjects & topics in general; with an unquenchable thirst and open mind to learn more. | Experienced…?- In courses of study, and adversities faced. | Racism…?- Living it everyday; experiencing it’s pain in every way; knowing it’ll never go away; and fully understand the futility of arguing it’s ‘evils’ with 'the ignorant' more than I could possibly say.
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #26
country flag Rest Maria!

Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute Rest Maria! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Miami - $3.973M
Madrid - $3.940M
Shanghai - 3.531M
Rome - $3.096M
Paris - $3.096M
Monte Carlo - $3.096M
Cincinnatti - $2.825M
Rogers Cup - $2.649M

If the tournament gets more money from ticket sales, TV rights and sponsors than other Masters tournaments, thus has more money to give to the players, than maybe all interested parties already perceive it as the most prestigious one?
Rest Maria! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #27
C. Drone
CFO

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/11/i.../#.UKV0x2e5Xpj

not WTA, though some really dont like Ellison.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #28
country flag dany.p

dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of dany.p has much to be proud of

Quote:

Miami - $3.973M
Madrid - $3.940M
Shanghai - 3.531M
Rome - $3.096M
Paris - $3.096M
Monte Carlo - $3.096M
Cincinnatti - $2.825M
Rogers Cup - $2.649M

There are already discrepencies between prize money, even with tournaments with the same draw size. For me, this just strengthens the arguement for a prize money increase.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #29
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future

Quote:
As long as IW winner's prize money isn't (much) above other TMS events, it isn't above other TMSs in prestige. The only reason why ATP (Association of Tennis Promoters) didn't accept that was that other events' promoters would've had pressure to raise their R2 & R3 prize moneys.

And what if WTA had more prize money in IW than ATP? So what? Also Beijing, Sydney, etc. have higher prize money in WTA than in ATP. The calendar structure is different in WTA than in ATP. ATP has nine top tier non-slams/YEC, WTA's nine most important non-slams/YEC are on two tiers with P5 being below ATP's TMS in prize money. So ATP still gives more prize money.

A proud fan of
Sergiy Stakhovsky
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #30
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future

ATP is going to reconsider the IW prize money increase.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...996628834.html

And I understood that increase on WTA prize money also depends on ATP's decision. If there's an increase, it's for both ATP and WTA.
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote