WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute
WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW

Surprised this hasn't been discussed.

Quote:

It's like a boosted immune system. Spend enough time around tennis and you develop a threshold for mutant strains of nonsense, a resistance to the highest concentration of inanity and insanity. Yet even by tennis standards, this most recent one made us sick.

According to multiple sources, at Tuesday's ATP board meeting in London, the following issue was on the agenda: Should the ATP accept an offer from Larry Ellison to boost prize money at the Indian Wells BNP event by $800,000?

Why is this even an issue, you ask? Good question. A promoter is offering more money to the players. And it would be distributed evenly among rounds. A mainstay in the Big Three of the Forbes 400 rankings -- along with Bill Gates and Warren Buffet -- Ellison is precisely the type of credible, galactically wealthy figure the sport would do well not to antagonize. And at a time when the players make periodic threats to boycott the Grand Slams, you might think the ATP would want as much financial leverage as possible.

Think again. This, after all, is tennis, the sport that can't get out of its own way. If Ellison boosted the Indian Wells prize money, how would that make other events -- most obviously the IMG-owned Miami event the following week -- look? And ... well, actually, there are no other logical reasons why an organization tasked with growing and improving the sport would turn down a volunteer increase in money. Yet, that's what happened. With IMG's representative allegedly leading the charge, the three tournament representatives on the board rejected the prize money increase. The ATP's CEO, Brad Drewett, invertebrately declined to take action. And the measure died.

The ATP sent us this statement via email: "We welcome tournaments increasing prize money. However, in this case, a tournament is proposing a distribution that is not in line with the ATP rules that players and tournaments themselves have agreed to, and which every other tournament on tour follows. The ATP distribution model is designed in part to protect the middle-ranked players' share of prize money, and more evenly distribute prize money throughout every round in a tournament. We would be happy to approve a prize money increase if it complies with ATP rules on distribution."
One suspects that every player from Roger Federer to the likely first-round losers is hurling crockery, wondering why his own organization would take money off the table. But one also wonders how this went over with Ellison.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...#ixzz2BcwDYnq6
Assuming the women would have received the same 800k boost in prize money as well, interesting to know if the issue was discussed with the WTA at all?

instargram
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2012...0701/311060025
"Moore said he has gotten positive feedback from the WTA Tour on the proposal, but there won’t be a vote until December."
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTA influence on Prize Money?: ATP votes down 800k Prize Money Increase at IW

This article makes the ATP look f*cked up

"With IMG's representative allegedly leading the charge, the three tournament representatives on the board rejected the prize money increase. "

So players arent getting more prizemoney because tournament representatives voted it down. Imagine being ranked about 40, and these agents are costing you thousand$$ because IW adding prizemoney doesnt help their tournaments
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #4
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure Janko Tipsarevic will find a way to blame female players for this
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #5
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj74 View Post
I'm pretty sure Janko Tipsarevic will find a way to blame female players for this
You mean Sergiy Stakhovsky? He is not impressed.

Sergiy Stakhovsky ‏@Stako_tennis
Hard to understand the ATP decision on Indian Wells ...don't allow tournament to increase their prize money is absurd..
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #6
country flag duhcity
moderately sarcastic

duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute duhcity has a reputation beyond repute

IMG is just as visible on the WTA as the ATP, and I sincerely hope they wouldn't shoot it down.
What happens if the WTA approves the increase?

instargram
duhcity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #7
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Actually what they did is "they've stolen money from 2013 IW participants' pockets"
It looks like IW is doing well, they have increase in profit and want to share some of their profit among the players and ATP denies, most probably because other tournaments don't want both to share more profit and look like less significant tournament

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #8
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

This is absurd.

IMG has too much power over ATP.

Last time I checked Arthur Ashe, Mats Wilander & co established ATP as a PLAYERS organization.

But it looks like things have gone backwards (back to the early 1970s when promoters did whatever they pleased.

By the way isn't IMG Sharapova's agency?
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #9
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, what happens if the WTA agrees to the increase? That would be hilarious.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #10
C. Drone
CFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony. View Post
IMG is just as visible on the WTA as the ATP, and I sincerely hope they wouldn't shoot it down.
What happens if the WTA approves the increase?
^ well, WTA at least has different people in board of directors.
tournament representatives:
Steve Simon (IW tournament director)
Micky Lawler (Octagon)
Peter Michael Reichel (Linz owner???)

(I would be surprised they would vote this down.)

If they approve I guess it will look really funny total prizemoney will be higher on women's side.
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #11
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriy View Post
This is absurd.

IMG has too much power over ATP.

Last time I checked Arthur Ashe, Mats Wilander & co established ATP as a PLAYERS organization.

But it looks like things have gone backwards (back to the early 1970s when promoters did whatever they pleased.

By the way isn't IMG Sharapova's agency?
it's Nadal's and Sharapova's and Li's, it used to be Federer's some months ago and probably will be Djokovic's very soon

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #12
country flag NashaMasha

Quote:
[The scene: Ellison on the back porch on his Hawaiian estate. His yacht is behind him. As Ellison sips his last bit of mango smoothie, his phone rings. It's Giles, his assistant in California.]

Giles: Good morning, Mr. E.

Ellison: It's a great morning, actually.

Giles: Well, one issue: You know how you offered that $800,000 to the Indian Wells purse --

Ellison: Yeah, sure. Love those guys. Heck, Nadal even stayed at one of my homes last year, remember? Nice kid, but left water bottles under all the chairs. Anyway, the tennis and players and the money -- let me guess: Someone asked where to send the thank-you note? Tell 'em not to worry about it.

Giles: Well, actually, sir, it's not that simple.

Ellison: They want more? These guys are more persistent than Ferrer. But OK, I guess I can --

Giles: No, no sir. They want less.

Ellison: Right. And I want Oracle's share price to go down.

Giles: No really, they don't want it.

Ellison: Less money? Among athletes? That's like joking about bombs in the airport security line.

Giles: I'm being serious.

Ellison: OK. Did they give a reason?

Giles: I guess they thought it messed with their business model?

Ellison: Right. And paying more for a property than the list price really screws up the market. And leaving a $100 on the table really screws up the model of the tip jar. [Voice rising.] And giving employees a larger bonus than they expected really screws up their budget.

Giles: Sir, I'm just the messenger.

Ellison: Of course. Sorry. But here's what I don't understand: Wouldn't an organization concerned about the growth of the game view more money as a good thing?

Giles: Well, the players would, but not the other tournaments.

Ellison: Why? Because it might pressure them to be a bit more generous, too? I shouldn't mow my yard because it might make my neighbors look like slobs?

Giles: You're really going nuts on the analogies today, sir.

Ellison: Sorry. But this isn't even low-hanging fruit. It's a vegetable. In this global economy, with players getting sidelined with injuries, with that paltry pension plan, the players are turning down more money. Where's the union?

Giles: Well, um, the players don't have a union, sir. The ATP is this umbrella of players and tournaments.

Ellison: That sounds like a recipe for conflict.

Giles: Yeah, that word is in heavy rotation in tennis.

Ellison: And wait, aren't the players threatening to boycott the majors until they get paid more? Wouldn't it help their cause if they made as much money as possible at their own events?

Giles: Well, yeah, but you're forgetting the other tournaments.

Ellison: I still don't get it. They might not want me to show them up. But how is it good for the game when they veto a prize money increase?

Giles: Good for the game? Since when did that become a concern?

Ellison: Silly me. I forgot.

Ellison: Oh, Giles, one more thing.

Giles: Yes, sir.

Ellison: Call up Tim Finchem for me, would you? Pretty sure my money is good with the PGA Tour guys.
Jon Wertheim
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten.../?sct=tn_wr_a1

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #13
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the head of the ATP has the tie-breaking vote, and he abstained, so the proposal did not pass (according to SkySports tennis crew at WTF). Greg Rusedski thinks the head of the ATP did not represent the players adequately by abstaining. You can understand why the tournament directors rejected the proposal, as they would feel obliged to come up with similar monies, an easy thing for Larry Ellison but not for others not swollen with wealth. But I would expect the head of the ATP to take some sort of stand. Is abstaining taking a stand?
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #14
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

And people are worried about Beijing trying to become the fifth slam

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #15
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Just to play Devil's advocate here for a moment, what exactly is the motive behind Ellison's offer to increase prize money by $800K? Is he doing it because he wants tennis players to have more money or is he trying to set Indian Wells apart from the other Masters tournaments? If, as I suspect, the latter then that raises a further question.

If you have a Masters series where one tournament is giving out more nearly twice as much in prize money as most of the other events, doesn't that undermine the integrety of the series. After all, these tournaments are supposed to be on a par with each other. They have equal ranking points and are supposed to carry the same prestige. If Indian Wells were to increase prize money by $800K, the Masters events would look like this:

Indian Wells - $5.495 million
Miami - $3.973M
Madrid - $3.940M
Shanghai - 3.531M
Rome - $3.096M
Paris - $3.096M
Monte Carlo - $3.096M
Cincinnatti - $2.825M
Rogers Cup - $2.649M

If Ellison is trying to raise Indian Wells' status above that of other Masters Series events, are the ATP really being unreasonable in stopping that from happening.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote