Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - World Group II...again... - Page 183 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:57 PM   #2731
country flag Lulu.
`

Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute Lulu. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Back into World Group! Going for that 2013 title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Great picture. They did so well this year.

||||||||||||||||||||||
Lulu. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 24th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #2732
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Back into World Group! Going for that 2013 title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njay16 View Post
LOL. I'll do better, I promise.

You make a really good point aboput making the tie outdoors. It baffles me why the USTA NEVER does grass courts. If I had one WS on the team, grass would be the surface. End of story. No questions asked. I just really think Russia would be the best choice IMO. Italy is very wishy washy these days, but Fran/Flavia are always subject to GOAT mode in FC, regardless of how their season is going.

I would rather have Russia, Czech Republic, Serbia, Italy in that order.
They never have for the women. They have for the men. You can check the first page, all of team USA's results are there. It is stupid. 2007 SF should have been on grass. Russia had good players then, hardcourts would not be an advantage. You have a team of Wimbledon champions after Wimbledon, utilize the grass advantage. And it was fucking July there was grass available. Instead hardcourts against Russia, where there is no upper hand, it is even playing field. USTA thinks about the venues rather than the surfaces. Granted I think venues send into them that they would like to host the tie. They need to think about getting upper hand, that is the key thing about home court advantage. And also, the 2010 final. Putting that on grass would have been tons better. Granted it is November, but 2006 Davis Cup had a grass tie in California and they get good weather in November...I think at least.

Newport and Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage are available grass venues that I know of. Use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. VK View Post
Great picture. They did so well this year.
Yes, they did. 10-0 is perfection. 15-0 next year would be better and for a two-year total of 25-0. Thank you.

Now don't be a stranger, come around these parts again now ya hear.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #2733
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WG QF vs. Russia, Czech, Italy or Serbia!

Serena quotes:
“I absolutely love this team. I love Liezel, she is just so amazing and so perfect. Christina is awesome as well, and Sloane and I get along like two peas in a pod. Mary Joe is a young coach, she hasn’t been off tour for too long so she really knows and has so much experience. It’s a fabulous opportunity for me, I absolutely love it.

“It’s good to have Mary Joe out there. I told her at the beginning of the week, ‘Whatever you want to tell me, tell me, I am all ears’. I am open to any suggestions. I am out there to learn. I feel like I am a kid learning. I haven’t accomplished everything. It’s good to have a coach and different eyes out there.

“Ukraine exceeded my expectations. I had a really good time here. Everyone here has been great. I have so many fans here, which is kind of weird, but it’s really amazing and really cool. I was kind of nervous about coming here, it’s so far, but I was really wishing today that today was Friday because I have really enjoyed myself here."

Will Serena play Fed Cup next year…
“Definitely, it’s the perfect week for me… next year it will be two weeks after the Australian Open, which is even better!”

LOL at playing next year. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #2734
country flag ce

ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute ce has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WGQF is perfect time for Rena, says she'll play.

^ LOL no way
ce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #2735
country flag Slammer7
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!

Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute Slammer7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WG QF vs. Russia, Czech, Italy or Serbia!

Quote:
Serena quotes:
“I absolutely love this team. I love Liezel, she is just so amazing and so perfect. Christina is awesome as well, and Sloane and I get along like two peas in a pod. Mary Joe is a young coach, she hasn’t been off tour for too long so she really knows and has so much experience. It’s a fabulous opportunity for me, I absolutely love it.
What? Mary Jo's been off the tour for 13 years, that's almost Serena's entire career.

Quote:
“It’s good to have Mary Joe out there. I told her at the beginning of the week, ‘Whatever you want to tell me, tell me, I am all ears’. I am open to any suggestions. I am out there to learn. I feel like I am a kid learning. I haven’t accomplished everything. It’s good to have a coach and different eyes out there.

“Ukraine exceeded my expectations. I had a really good time here. Everyone here has been great. I have so many fans here, which is kind of weird, but it’s really amazing and really cool. I was kind of nervous about coming here, it’s so far, but I was really wishing today that today was Friday because I have really enjoyed myself here."

Will Serena play Fed Cup next year…
“Definitely, it’s the perfect week for me… next year it will be two weeks after the Australian Open, which is even better!”

LOL at playing next year. I'll believe it when I see it.
Yep. She's just happy she gets to go to the Olympics now and that she doesn't have to deal with Fed Cup anymore. That very well could have been her last tie EVER!!!!! Unless she intends to play another for years.
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2736
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WGQF is perfect time for Rena, says she'll play.

To be fair, if healthy I could see Serena playing it, but it is the weekend before Premier 5 Doha. Fed Cup is going to get a huge hit next year. Players that have to play qualifying for Doha will not enter Fed Cup. Fed Cup is going to be rather weak.

Old May 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2737
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

List of US Fed Cup Team Captains
1963 - William Kellogg
1964 - Madge Harshaw Vosters
1965 - Billie Jean King
1966 - Rosalyn Greenwood
1967 - Donna Fales
1968 - Betty Rosenquest Pratt
1969 - Donna Fales
1970 - Carole Graebner
1971 - Patti Hogan
1972 - Donna Fales
1973 - Linda Tuero
1974 - Donna Fales
1975 - Donna Fales
1976 - Billie Jean King
1977 - Vicki Berner
1978 - Vicki Berner
1979 - Vicki Berner
1980 - Chris Evert
1981 - Chris Evert
1982 - Chris Evert
1983 - Nancy Jeffett
1984 - Tom Gorman
1985 - Tom Gorman
1986 - Marty Riessen
1987 - Marty Riessen
1988 - Marty Riessen
1989 - Marty Riessen
1990 - Marty Riessen
1991 - Marty Riessen
1992 - Marty Riessen
1993 - Marty Riessen
1994 - Marty Riessen
1995 - Billie Jean King
1996 - Billie Jean King
1997 - Martina Navratilova
1998 - Billie Jean King
1999 - Billie Jean King
2000 - Billie Jean King
2002 - Billie Jean King
2003 - Billie Jean King
2004 - Zina Garrison
2005 - Zina Garrison
2006 - Zina Garrison
2007 - Zina Garrison
2008 - Zina Garrison
2009 - Mary Joe Fernandez
2010 - Mary Joe Fernandez
2011 - Mary Joe Fernandez
2012 - Mary Joe Fernandez
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:12 PM   #2738
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Next Wednesday is the draw ceremony.

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2739
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Draw comes out tomorrow.

Old Jun 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #2740
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Czech (s)(c) vs. Australia
Italy (s)(c) vs. USA
Russia (s)(c) vs. Japan
Serbia (s)(c) vs. Slovak Republic

s = Seed. c = Choice of Ground

Good looking draw. Taking on the Italians in Italy 2 weeks after the Australian Open.

World Group II:
Switzerland (c) vs. Belgium (s)
Argentina (c) vs. Sweden (s)
Spain (c) vs. Ukraine (s)
France (c) vs. Germany (s)

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #2741
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Czech (s)(c) vs. Australia
Italy (s)(c) vs. USA
Russia (s)(c) vs. Japan
Serbia (s)(c) vs. Slovak Republic

s = Seed. c = Choice of Ground

Good looking draw. Taking on the Italians in Italy 2 weeks after the Australian Open.

World Group II:
Switzerland (c) vs. Belgium (s)
Argentina (c) vs. Sweden (s)
Spain (c) vs. Ukraine (s)
France (c) vs. Germany (s)
I'm not looking forward to playing Sara on clay You just know Italy will pick red clay

Right now I would pick Rena, Varva, Liz and X-Tina Vee and/or Vania as back ups
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #2742
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WG QF in Italy!

Italy wants Indoor Red Clay. It is 2 weeks after Melbourne is done. So Paris Indoors and then Fed Cup after that. With Premier 5 Doha following Fed Cup weekend.

Next year also starts the 2016 new rules. So Venus and Serena have to play all 4 years if they want to go to Rio.

I hope Serena plays the Italy tie. I mean she doesn't care about the Middle East anyways, so going to Italy and getting a jump start on clay and to gear up for that assault on Paris would be ideal.

The Italian team is obvious with Fran, Sara, Roberta, and Flavia. Flavia will be coming back rusty from wrist injury. Fran has been sucking. Sara and Roberta would be too weak for Serena. So I like USA's chances if a Williams Sister can play. But I want that sister to be Serena.

I think:
Italy - Errani, Vinci, Schiavone, Pennetta. Backup - Giorgi.
USA - Serena, Christina, Sloane, Lisa/Liezel/Vania.

But SF is against Russia, away, and also going to be on clay if USA can beat Italy. I want Serena to play then too. Shit, I want Serena in all 3 ties But it won't happen. 13 long years since USA has held the Rose Bowl

Old Oct 16th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #2743
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WG QF in Italy!

Venue announced.

105 Stadium in Rimini, Italy on Indoor Red Clay.

I was thinking about Liezel potentially retiring and what would happen to the Fed Cup team. Do you use Lisa or just go for 4 singles players, most of whom are good doubles players?

I think the team next year should consist of Venus, Serena, Vania, Christina, Sloane, Lisa. I could totally see the team being Christina, Sloane, Varvara and Lisa as well though. I feel Lisa would be great to have on the team, but it's been a while since the last remaining member of the 2000 team has played Fed Cup. For some reason I just can't see Varvara being a good Fed Cup player...but I would love her to be on the team at least once in the future.

I really want Team USA to win Fed Cup and the big key to that is getting Serena and Venus. Fran is shit, Flavia injured, that leaves Sara and Roby for next year's tie. Both happen to be Venus and Serena's bitches. They could stomp all over them.

All in all, I'd go aim to get Serena, Venus, Christina, Lisa or Sloane for all 3 ties.

Old Nov 5th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2744
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WG QF in Rimini, Italy!

"A tradition of the ITF since 1981 is that every player who has contributed to a team’s victory in Fed Cup throughout the year also receives a replica." - From the Fed Cup site.

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #2745
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WG QF in Rimini, Italy!

Fernandez Looks at Italian Test

US Fed Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez admits that the USA’s opening round Fed Cup by BNP Paribas tie against three-time champions Italy is “not going to be easy”, but says that February’s tie is a challenge her side will be ready for.
Convincing victories over Belarus in February and Ukraine in April earned the USA a return to the World Group after a one-year absence, but their reward is a first round clash with Corrado Barazzutti’s Italian team at the 105 Stadium in Rimini, Italy, on Feb 9-10, 2013.
“Nothing like starting off with a bang with Italy,” smiled Fernandez. “Obviously it’s going to be challenging but we’re also very happy that we got back in the World Group this season. It feels like we played ages ago. Our last tie was in April in Ukraine.
“Hopefully we can get through Italy. It’s not going to be easy with the depth and variety that they have on their team. But obviously we’re looking to be confident and hopefully get through that.”
The Italians defeated the USA in back-to-back finals in 2009 and 2010 and remain one of the teams to beat in the competition in 2013.
“We played Italy in two finals. At that time it was Francesca Schiavone and Flavia Pennetta who led the charge,” continued Fernandez. “They had contrasting game styles, but were very effective on every surface. They translated their game well to every surface.
“The top two now are Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci. The good thing from my perspective is that they’re players that don’t blow you off the court. You can really play against them and you’re going to have time. But I guess the downside is how tough they are mentally, how they really, every time they get on the court, have a purpose and play the right way.
“It will be challenging, doubles-wise. They won the French and the US Open, they’ve proved how tough they are. So there’s a lot of depth. It’s going to be interesting and we’re going to give it our best.”