Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :) - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #31
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future
Re: Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
i am SCREAMING who banned him/her? I need him/her in my life
Wait WHAT?? Rapunxel has been the funniest new member we've ever got in SS. Unless he's trolling somewhere...

Back to topic. Just want to say I'm really happy. For everyone of us who went through those dark times after Montreal 08 all the way to Warsaw 09, really everything since then has been a bonus.

Fking getting emotional now so bear with me. Looking back to the days where we search high and low on youtube for that mysterious video lady just to get a glimpse of Maria's recovery from surgery. Disappointment of her not defending her AO title in 09. That little glee and excitement when she made a mini failed comeback in doubles with Vesnina in IW 09. Gutting out those insane 3 sets victories in RG 09. Every year since then, no matter how we sometimes cheer her on begrudgingly through her horrendous play, has been a bonus. She really could have just retired.

And then she went out there and gave us 2012. Full circle guys. Gonna tear up now
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #32
country flag Shezocas

Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice Shezocas is just really nice

My thoughts on Maria's 2012?
In one simple word:AMAZING

IMO Maria reached everything we could ask for in 2012. She won a slam, the most wanted, and made history with that. Won a silver medal at the Olympics and we all know how tough that was.And as cherry on top of the cake, she got back to the Nº1. It was only for 4 weeks, yes, but she did it and nothing can take away that from her.All this combined with a season with no ups and downs (yap,let's forget that loss to bine at wimby) and specially no injuries!!
And overall her tennis made progress, she is playing really well and when she has a bad day she can still beat top players so you see her level. 6 loses in important finals made it tough for us? Maybe! But I rather prefer seeing her in finals than losing in early stages.
For this, i'm very thankful. Since her injury i really got that mentally of "everything from now on is a bonus"-yes because it's already amazing the fact that she is still hitting yellow tennis balls for living- so i couldn’t imagine or ask for more.
Oh and Flagpova was one of the highlights of the season which made her even more special!!
As for 2013 we will see. Honestly I’m expecting good thins... I see maria in full committed to tennis and more important I see that desire in face, desire for winning so if she keeps this level-let’s hope she improves even more ehehe-we can expect great things from 2013, so BRING IT!!!
Many,many thanks to this woman, to her team and to all of you!!
2012, a year to remember!!
Shezocas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #33
country flag JimM

JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold JimM is a splendid one to behold

Has to be Maria's best season so far. An Olympic silver, Roland Garros, all Slams collected. But her movement on court now is a major plus! excellent, better than I had hoped. And she will keep working at it.

Cant wait for 2013 to start

JimM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #34
country flag heelsrule1988

heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all

I mean, everyone has said it... 2012 was unquestionably her best year ever. I keep remembering how things were in 2009 and 2010 after her comeback... I just never thought she'd ever be back to this point. I was prepared for her to be a shell of her former self, with getting back to the top 10 being the best goal she could realistically hope for. But then last summer happened, which gave us hope that maybe this wouldn't be the case. Sure enough, she ends up having a year like this. We've gone from being used to 3R and 4R in Slams two years ago to expecting SFs and Fs now. And now she's a part of the new Big Three... even though she's realistically the third-best of the group, at least she's in that group at all. Obviously the losses to Serena and Vika were the one negative of this year, but we really can't let that get us too disappointed. Like I've said before... we just kind of have to accept that there's one player that Maria just can't beat, and that's Serena. We don't have to feel that way about Vika, though... we know that although Vika still has the edge over her, Maria is certainly capable of beating her on occasion. But I think the main thing I'd like to see Maria improve in 2013 is the "on occasion" part... I want to see Maria beat Vika a little more next year and make the H2H a little closer. But yeah... this was a wonderful year. It's so nice to see Maria back to this level. I don't think anyone can argue that June 9 was the best day of Maria's career (and for us, her fans)... I'll never forget that day. I doubt Maria can top that, but here's hoping we'll see many more titles and another Slam (or two?) in 2013.
heelsrule1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 07:20 PM   #35
country flag Sharapovian
RG '14

Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute

Where to start?

Okay first off there's no doubt this was the best year Maria has had since her comeback. Some thoughts on 2012:

Beginning of the year. Couldn't play Brisbane due to the ankle injury, went into the AO with no match play. No one knew whether she would be 100% by the time AO started, and that led to most of us having virtually no expectations. Taking the injury into account, the way she blasted her way through the early rounds came as a huge surprise. Next thing you know, and she's in the final. Yes she lost, but considering she came into the tournament cold and just recovered from an injury, reaching the final was a pretty good.

IW & Miami - Would have been great if she won at least one of them Miami but unfortunately she didn't. Still, reaching back to back finals of two big tournaments was huge.

Clay Season - I'd be lying if I said this wasn't Maria's best clay season to date. Winning all the tournaments she played in bar Madrid, but that's okay. The most notable win being Roland Garros obviously and wait for it...completing the CAREER GRAND SLAM. Winning a Grand Slam in combination with getting back to #1 would have meant a lot to her because in a way it would have told her she is 'back' and all her hard work paid off.

*Ignores* Wimbledon since I only seen two of her matches.

Olympics - You could tell just being a part of it all was a huge honour for Maria, let alone winning a medal.

US Open - Going by her last few performances in previous years it was really hard to predict how she would do. She did have a couple of tough matches there (vs. Petrova and Bartoli) but overall it was a good tournament for her. Reaching the Semis and playing a tight match vs. Vika were definitely positive signs.

End of Year - Wasn't playing very well in Tokyo, but then turned it around in Beijing and reached the final there. Again, she may have lost but minus that final, her level of play was encouraging heading into YEC. Finally, she reached another final in Istanbul (9th of the year) beating Aga and Vika along the way. Going unbeaten in the RR stage was nice, and of course finally managing to notch another win over Vika. Didn't play too bad in the final either, despite the loss, was good to see her put up some fight and not just fade away.

Her slam results this have been the best since her comeback, not to mention she's been really consistent this year. Reached the QF stage or further in 13 of 14 tournaments she’s played in and 9 of 14 finals (I think those are the numbers). Of course it could have been even better if she had a better record in finals/won more tournaments, but even so there's no denying that it has been one fantastic year. [Winning a Grand Slam, getting back to #1...]

Just some general comments now: Considering she had a career threatening injury and could have easily hung up her racket just goes to show what kind of person Maria is. Her love for the sport and determination to get back to the top says a lot. She's a fighter and someone who doesn't like to give up. I mean she's definitely had her fair share of tough losses and could have easily stopped playing if she wanted to. Just to see her still playing is a privilege and sometimes I realise that no matter what results she gets, I should be proud of her and what she has achieved so far (getting a little emotional now )

With the amount of hours of training and hard work she put in to get back to this level, you can only imagine she will want to improve further (and there is lots to improve on )...I think we can look forward to see what 2013 brings.

Might add in some of my favourite pictures of the year later
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #36
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Maria's 2012 in pictures for me... – part 4
Clay season ended... While we were all still marvelling Maria's achievement and looking for all kinds of pictures and videos from Roland Garros; the business woman in Maria Sharapova didn't rest. She and Juan, her phyisio and his family hopped on the 1st plane to Spain to visit the factory which was in the middle of doing the final touch to Sugarpova, her gummie candies... And surprised us all by paying a visit to Ferrero's academy and celebrating her win there... On he pictures she looked both happy and somehow tired/sentimental at the same time...

[credit to Maria Sharapova and IMG for the first photo]
In the mean time Maria informed us that she was selected to be a flagbearer for Russia at the Olympics in London!!!!!! First time in Russian history a female athlete was chosen to carry the flag! Our happinnes for her couldn't have been bigger! At that same time all sorts of disagreements with that from Russia and from USA came, from tennis players, other athletes to journalists and PRs of members of the parliament... I had a hard time reading that, but decided to ignore!
Grass time!!! Excitement, mixed emotions... Maria has a lot to defend.. We notice the absence of the engagement ring... We start worrying how she feels and how much energy has she left in her to perform well in Wimbledon. We want a SF appearance...
Maria on practice looks stunning, No.1 suits her a lot!
She meets Kim and they have a warm greeting!
Wimbledon begins... Maria plays a bit tentative in round 1, her footwork is a bit off, but she wins comfortably so we survive for another day.. Which brings a real real thriller! That match probably took some years off of our lives... Maria plays against the grass GOAT Tsvetana Pironkova! In a nail biting match which ends because of drakness and is continued the other day she manages to beat her in 3 sets. We are relieved.

But troubles come soon! An inspired and in good serving form on that given day- Sabine Lisicki blows struggling Maria off court in two sets in round 4... Maria loses a lot of ranking points and that ends her reign on the rankings...

Masha headed home for a short vacation and preparation to the Olympics... We were left with expectations of London 2012!!!
And then ---- LONDON 2012 – the Olympic games!!!!!
Maria as other tennis players came earlier to train and adapt to the conditions.. Wimbledon got a new look – it was all in purple! The amazement started already during practice! The players weren't in their usual whites... Another amazing picture of Maria was captured there.. Totally zen sitting on and looking at the courts...

And ofc she had a lot of nice moments, that were captured on photos even before all begun; Maria filming with Novak a commercial for HEAD, which turned out to be EPIC, practicing with her teammates, having her mum around and having dinner with the Russian tennis team...

Then Day D arrived. The oppening ceremony!!! Maria surpirsed us with a few goodies on her Facebook page, posting us pictures from the village!
A lot of us felt slightly nervous as if we were carrying the flag, we wanted all to go well... For the 1st time a woman with the Russian flag! In front of a whole army of athletes... With the presidents and Royal members from all of the world watching you live on the stadium... Maria did the job solidly... We were happy and proud of her. And after that she had time to take photos with other athletes and volunteers...

And the Games begun! We were surprised a lot when we saw, no more no less, but Chelsea Handler in Maria's box!
Masha showed a lot of emotion during all her matches! She showed a good display against Shahar Peer in round 1, defeating her convincingly, then struggled a bit with Laura's attacking game, but defeated her in straight sets, and after that the inevitable Masha thriller came... The match against the player who took her out in Wimbledon – Sabine Lisicki! It was a really nerve consuming match; full of everything – winners, errors, drama... Maria was the most expressive in ages! In the 1st set she threw her racket on the ground several times; we rarely see her do that so often... You could see it on all her behaviour that this time she wanted to win! And she did! And celebrated as fiercly as she behaved during the match!
In the next round she defeated Kim and got her »revenge« for Cincinnati 2010, it turend out to be their last match against each other... [we miss you Kimmy..]

Maria got to SF, she was one match away from having a guaranteed medal! And she had to face her compatriot, teammate and friend Maria Kirilenko... We were anxious, knowing that a lot of their previous matches were tight... and that Kirilenko improved on grass a lot.. Sharapova won! She had at least a silver medal in her pocket! We celebrated!
»I won a medal?« Yes, you!
In the final there was Serena Williams waiting for her! Well, we all knew it would be extremely difficult against her. But nobody expected what we got, on a slightly windy day, a rather pale Maria was blown off the court by Serena's power and lost 6:0 6:1... A very hard moment for every Sharapova's fan... But we kept up positive spirits, because our girl was standing on the podium, when Shamil Tarpischev gave the medals... Gold-Serena Williams (USA), Silver-Maria Sharapova (RUS), Bronze-Victoria Azarenka (BLR)... The ceremony itself gave a funny moment, when the flag of USA was blown away and made all the players smile a bit, even Maria who seemed rather upset and full of mixed feelings...

Maria shrug off the defeat quickly and decided to celebrate what she achieved! First time an Olympian and with a silver medal! So she went out on a dinner at Zuma in London with her team, her mum and Chelsea Handler, who supported her eagerly even during the final.

And yet again, Masha had no time to rest! She got on a plane the next day and flew to Canada....
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #37
country flag iAmNinia

iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice iAmNinia is just really nice

Her best season so far after her post injury! I have a goosebump after she win FO. And achieved Career GS.
But I've been disappointed in Miami and Olympic Final.
iAmNinia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote