Off season - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #1
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute
Off season

Two months without tennis... But she'll play some exhos, so it's not gonna be that boring.
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off season

I hope Ana has a good off season for a change..

Hopefully she sees some sense and hires a fitness coach.

Making mistakes is human, repeating them is dumb.

What I write is my opinion, and my opinion only.
gaviotabr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
country flag The 2nd Law

The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute
We better start praying now for Radwanska at the AO
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #4
country flag gaviotabr

gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute gaviotabr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2nd Law View Post
We better start praying now for Radwanska at the AO

Maybe if we pray enough in the next 2 and a half months the Tennis Gods will hear us!

Old Nov 5th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #5
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

I think she's overranked but it was an otherwise OK year in many respects.

But it was a titleless year. Her first since the awfulness that was '09 .
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #6
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

I don't pray for a kind draw anymore, I pray for her brain to show up. Top 3 players have been very solid this year, but it, however, doesn't mean it's gonna stay that way. It's WTA.

Everyone is vulnerable in early rounds, especially those who defend a huge amount of points. If she doesn't believe in herself, she'll lose, no matter if it's Radwanska or Azarenka. I think that the most vulnerable opponent in R4 is Masha. She always struggles in R4. Azarenka is the most consistent one, Ana would have to play one of the best matches since 2008 to beat her.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
country flag SilverSlam
I-G-G-Y

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Off season thread

But yeah, exo with Italians and Masha
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #8
country flag SilverSlam
I-G-G-Y

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Also Ana said she plans to gain some weight, and finally acknowledged that she is way too skinny. Apparently her coach has been telling her she's too skinny too
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #9
country flag Cajka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlam View Post
Also Ana said she plans to gain some weight, and finally acknowledged that she is way too skinny. Apparently her coach has been telling her she's too skinny too
Did she say that?
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea whether she really said that but if she does decide to be stronger, I hope she doesn't make the mistake of thinking that just by eating a bit more it will happen. It might happen for a young guy who basically has natural steroids due to testosterone etc, but it won't happen for a woman.

The only way to know you are getting stronger is to make it measurable. You have to lift and increase the amount of weight you are able to lift. For women in particular, they tend not to add muscle if they just eat, they add fat instead. Well, it can be part of a woman's curvy and soft charm (up to around 20% the fat usually goes to the "right places" for a woman, although some women are more unlucky), but it doesn't help them as an athlete. If she can lift 1 kg more per week during the offseason that would be a good goal. Figure out how much weight she can move in each basic exercise and make sure it improves every week, probably lifting 2-3 times a week with at least 48 hrs between sessions would be good, together with training for her cardiovascular system on off days (interval training, cycling, running).

A good test to make sure you are gaining muscle more than fat is to check your vertical jumping height. It needs to improve or at the very least stay the same when you increase your strength, otherwise you are adding more fat than muscle. Sprint speed over 10m needs to improve or at the very least remain stable.

You should probably note that unlike many other people I have never felt that Ana is too skinny or anything like that. She is clearly not anorexic or anything, she looks like a gorgeous model, and neither do I believe that she is "naturally bigger" just because she was a bit plumper the first time I saw her. Genetics only plays a smallish role in determining an athlete's muscular strength, most of it is training unless you need to be as strong as an olympic weightlifter. Also her parents are pretty slim, as is her brother if I recall. But sometimes I think that Ana might actually be afraid of the kind of hard training necessary to build strength and stamina. I hope she proves that this is not the case.

Last edited by HowardH : Nov 5th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #11
country flag Cajka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
I have no idea whether she really said that but if she does decide to be stronger, I hope she doesn't make the mistake of thinking that just by eating a bit more it will happen. It might happen for a young guy who basically has natural steroids due to testosterone etc, but it won't happen for a woman.

The only way to know you are getting stronger is to make it measurable. You have to lift and increase the amount of weight you are able to lift. For women in particular, they tend not to add muscle if they just eat, they add fat instead. Well, it can be part of a woman's curvy and soft charm, but it doesn't help them as an athlete. If she can lift 1 kg more per week during the offseason that would be a good goal. Figure out how much weight she can move in each basic exercise and make sure it improves every week, probably lifting 2-3 times a week would be good, together with training for her cardiovascular system on off days (interval training, cycling, running).
She must hire a fitness coach + visit a nutritionist. Losing weight or gaining weight on your own is horrible for an athlete.

Since it's an off season, guys, you could vote for our lovely idiot in Sexysova's thread

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=470829
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #12
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlam View Post
Where did you see that?

Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #13
country flag gaviotabr

Quote:

The only way to know you are getting stronger is to make it measurable. You have to lift and increase the amount of weight you are able to lift. For women in particular, they tend not to add muscle if they just eat, they add fat instead. Well, it can be part of a woman's curvy and soft charm (up to around 20% the fat usually goes to the "right places" for a woman, although some women are more unlucky), but it doesn't help them as an athlete. If she can lift 1 kg more per week during the offseason that would be a good goal. Figure out how much weight she can move in each basic exercise and make sure it improves every week, probably lifting 2-3 times a week with at least 48 hrs between sessions would be good, together with training for her cardiovascular system on off days (interval training, cycling, running).

A good test to make sure you are gaining muscle more than fat is to check your vertical jumping height. It needs to improve or at the very least stay the same when you increase your strength, otherwise you are adding more fat than muscle. Sprint speed over 10m needs to improve or at the very least remain stable.

You should probably note that unlike many other people I have never felt that Ana is too skinny or anything like that. She is clearly not anorexic or anything, she looks like a gorgeous model, and neither do I believe that she is "naturally bigger" just because she was a bit plumper the first time I saw her. Genetics only plays a smallish role in determining an athlete's muscular strength, most of it is training unless you need to be as strong as an olympic weightlifter. Also her parents are pretty slim, as is her brother if I recall. But sometimes I think that Ana might actually be afraid of the kind of hard training necessary to build strength and stamina. I hope she proves that this is not the case.
Yes.. but I guess she needs someone to help her.. I don't think she can control all this without a trainer.. a full time one, not someone to be with her 3 weeks during off season.

Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #14
country flag Cajka

Both Ana's parents are strongly built people. Her father is a really big guy, her mom is a good looking tall and strong woman (not fat, not skinny). Her brother looks pretty normal. The problem with Ana is that we see more bones than we should. When people compare her to other slim players, you must notice that their bones look tiny, you don't see Safarova's bones when she's on the court. Ana's upper body doesn't look like a body of an athlete. As I said, she's probably not really anorexic, but losing weight all the time is hardly a good sign. Look at her pics from AO. Did she need to lose weight? No. Even for those who like model-like figure, she looked great. But, really, guys, I hate mentioning it over and over, especially since I love Howard's posts and I think he's a great fan, his contribution to this forum is great... But I must ask, why is it relevant if she looks like a model or not? Skinny Ana is a gorgeous woman, slightly chubby Ana is a gorgeous woman. My favorite Ana is 2008 and second part of 2010 Ana (when it comes to both - looks and game). But that's irrelevant, gaining few kilos won't change the fact that she's gorgeous and I'm sure that even 50 yo Ana will be stunning with those crazy good genes that she has. So, we should discuss which kind of weight suits her tennis. For me it's Ana from the second part of 2010. Slightly lighter than 2008 Ana, but not skinny. 2011 Ana wasn't that bad, it's Ana from the second part of 2012 who looks too fragile.

Last edited by Cajka : Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #15
country flag fANAtic

fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold fANAtic is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But sometimes I think that Ana might actually be afraid of the kind of hard training necessary to build strength and stamina. I hope she proves that this is not the case.
I also feel she's allergic to heavy iron. Classic case of female gymophobia.
fANAtic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote