Things you want Maria to achieve/do in 2013. - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM   #46
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things you want Maria to achieve/do in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Светльо View Post
Pull a 2008 AO in Melbourne!
Make The Falsetto Nightingale her bitch 2013 wise!
Beat The Lord!
She really must make all the semis of the Slam in a calendar year.
Win Miami.(not happening since she is cursed there)
Be Number One at some point.
Have a positive ration in finals.

Pretty Please!
Dont have anything more to add apart from I dont mind which slam she wins.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #47
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniaSharapova View Post
Exactly. Look at Wozniacki. She has 20 titles only because she enters small tournaments like Copenhagen, Brussels, New Haven etc. and winning them a few times.

Quality is more important for me than numbers. I would prefer to see Maria with 2 significant titles next season than 6 or 7 from smaller events.
I don't know what you guys are arguing about anyway. If she keeps on winning three or four titles for the next four or five years, which is far from impossible, Sharapova's total will be well above forty.

Wozniacki-like "vulturing" of smaller events only became a crime since the Williams sisters decided that only the slams matter and they only played a handfull of tournaments besides them. Before the Williams sisters decided for the rest of us what matters and what doesn't past greats did just as much 'vulturing' as Wozniacki, which is why past greats like Court, Evert, Navratilova and Graf ended up winning more than a hundred tournaments (the first three even more than 150).

Last edited by Chrissie-fan : Nov 3rd, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM   #48
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

if her shoulder is fine with her old game, Let's bring it back. I really miss it.
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#42
PAW Rank:#107
FITD Rank:#188.
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 03:46 PM   #49
country flag AniaSharapova

AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I don't know what you guys are arguing about anyway. If she keeps on winning three or four titles for the next four or five years, which is far from impossible, Sharapova's total will be well above forty.

Wozniacki-like "vulturing" of smaller events only became a crime since the Williams sisters decided that only the slams matter and they only played a handfull of tournaments besides them. Before the Williams sisters decided for the rest of us what matters and what doesn't past greats did just as much 'vulturing' as Wozniacki, which is why past greats like Court, Evert, Navratilova and Graf ended up winning more than a hundred tournaments (the first three even more than 150).
I have nothing against Caro enters small tournaments, it's her choice and her path to success.
She was just an example for me to point it out that sometimes numbers of titles doesn't mean about quality.
For me only Slams and Premier tournaments matters and it's my personal opinion which not based of what Serena or Venus told a few years ago.
AniaSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM   #50
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have nothing against Caro enters small tournaments, it's her choice and her path to success.
She was just an example for me to point it out that sometimes numbers of titles doesn't mean about quality.
For me only Slams and Premier tournaments matters and it's my personal opinion which not based of what Serena or Venus told a few years ago.
Well, it's probably not a discussion for this thread, but I agree that the quality of tournaments won by Sharapova is superior to those won by Wozniacki and that winning a Premier tournament (let alone a slam or YEC) is a bigger achievement than winning an international. Having said that, I wouldn't go so far as to say that winning 20 WTA tournaments of any description is insignificant. What TF calls MM events are still tournaments on the main tour. The real MM events are the ITF's. And I think it's a good thing that players that are being called vultures care enough about them to compete in them. I mean, if every top 15/20 player of the past ten or fifteen years had played the redused schedule of a Serena Williams the tour wouldn't survive because I don't think that a tournament with a number one seed outside of the top 20 attracts any crowds. If people are ok with seeing many tournaments disappearing from the calender there's no problem. If people want them to stay there is a need for players to support them. Having said that, for the sake of her own best interests I would like to see Wozniacki play a maximum of, say, 18 tournaments a year. If not, there might be a price to pay later on in her career. I think it's pretty obvious that the injury problems of Clijsters in her later years had something to do with her playing too much early on, so there are lessons to be learned there.

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #51
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

1. Stay healthy and fit.
2. Maintain the 3-set record; have good mental stamina.
3. Improve the serve (more variety please if possible).
4. Improve net play.
5. Go deep in Slams and possibly win one (AO please!!!).
6. Win at least 3 tournaments!
7. Win IW or Miami.
8. Defeat her closest rivals more often, play tough against Serena.
9. Qualify for YEC.
10. Try to stay in top 5.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #52
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
Honestly, it doesn't even matter because other players only have so many because they vulture smaller events. If we are only looking at big titles, she is quite on par with her fellow 3-5 slam champs minus Legend. Maria has 15 big titles (4 slams, 1 yec, 10 tier 1s), Kim only has 14 (4 slams, 3 yecs, 7 tier 1s), ASV with 10 (4 slams, 6 tier 1s), Davenport with 16 (3 slams, 1 yec, 1 og gold, 11 tier 1s).

Hell Venus only has 16, Henin at 20.

I think she's doing fabulous. Of course I want her to break the 40 mark too but # of titles only really matter for all time great debates imo.

Anyway I REALLY want her to win AO cos it means it'll be the first time in her career she holds 2 slams simultaneously. Plus it means Vika won't be holding one if not any slam is fine. And plz win more tier 1 titles and end the year top 3 again.
Yeah, I don't care about titles. They're never used in greatness debates anyway -- I mean even the most ardent Serena hater wouldn't claim Davenport is greater than Serena just because she has more titles I would never trade in Maria's Australian Open final this year for any (non-Slam) hardcourt title.....well, except the YEC maybe.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #53
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really care about title count (or ranking for that matter), and Maria clearly doesn't either. It's all about the slams and bigger HC events.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #54
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Win two (2) slams
Beat Serena and drive Serena into retirement (ala Henin)
Stay No.1 most of 2013 and end 2013 as No.1
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #55
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Yeah, I don't care about titles. They're never used in greatness debates anyway -- I mean even the most ardent Serena hater wouldn't claim Davenport is greater than Serena just because she has more titles
No, but I think it depends on how many more. If Serena would end up with one or two more or fewer slam titles than others I don't think that in the minds of most it makes that much of a difference when it comes to ranking them. But if she ends up with a total of around 50 titles while others have more than 100, or in the case of Court, Evert and Navratilova even more than 150 (plus many more weeks at number one)...I mean that's a HUGE difference. Not that I personally will hold that against Serena because I don't believe in a single GOAT anyway. Changing circumstances make it impossible to compare greats from different eras in my opinion. But I suspect that those who insist on doing so will make a bigger case out of (if Serena was to quit today), say, Serena's 46 WTA titles vs Navratilova's 167 than Serena's 15 slams vs Navratilova's 18.

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #56
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Exactly. Look at Wozniacki. She has 20 titles only because she enters small tournaments like Copenhagen, Brussels, New Haven etc. and winning them a few times.

Quality is more important for me than numbers. I would prefer to see Maria with 2 significant titles next season than 6 or 7 from smaller events.
sidenote, interesting debate considering fellow Maria fans like to bring up how she won titles in 10 consecutive seasons, and only thing kept alive that streak is beating Arvidsson & Barrios in MM finals.
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #57
country flag Shivank17

Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute Shivank17 has a reputation beyond repute

But...Memphis and Strasbourg were the 5th and 6th slams that year.

Career Grand Slam + Silver Medalist.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
Twitter: @Shivank17
Shivank17 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #58
country flag AniaSharapova

AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
sidenote, interesting debate considering fellow Maria fans like to bring up how she won titles in 10 consecutive seasons, and only thing kept alive that streak is beating Arvidsson & Barrios in MM finals.
I'm not this fellow Maria's fan who bring up she won titles in 10 consecutive years. I always consider 2010 as her worst season and don't even care about Memphis or Strasbourg.

I wrote about this few post earlier and repeat it once again: quality is more important FOR ME than numbers. Maria could have only 1 or 2 titles next season but if they're Slam or Premier it will be great and enough for me.
AniaSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #59
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I'm not this fellow Maria's fan who bring up she won titles in 10 consecutive years. I always consider 2010 as her worst season and don't even care about Memphis or Strasbourg.

I wrote about this few post earlier and repeat it once again: quality is more important FOR ME than numbers. Maria could have only 1 or 2 titles next season but if they're Slam or Premier it will be great and enough for me.
I agree. But when you enter a tournament, even a lower tier tournament, it's still better to win than to lose. Otherwise there is no point in playing.

Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #60
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

No problem, I see your point.
Its just IMO when she is losing more finals than win, I wouldnt care what she wins.
Of course its whole pointless argument if her smallest tournaments are Brisbane or Stuttgart.
C. Drone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote