Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 162 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2416
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
Of course there is that famous "Steffi, will you marry me?"
How could we forget this one, the one
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 11:54 PM   #2417
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

Recognizing someone?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...25826795_n.jpg
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2418
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Oh my! These two are hilarious....

https://www.facebook.com/officialsteffigraf
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2419
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
How could we forget this one, the one
And from 1995, turned back into a flustered student of French: "The only thing I can say is... mon chapeau est bien."
Ms. Anthropic is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2420

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabelcroft View Post
OK, so Steffi is Bjork. But who is Andre? Slash from Guns N' Roses? (Although did Slash ever wear a pinky ring???)
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM   #2421
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Halloween pics can be disturbing sometimes

We are not fond of Halloween here in France, but as I work with kids I had to...I was Harry Potter. Literally I was him.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 03:35 AM   #2422
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Halloween pics can be disturbing sometimes

We are not fond of Halloween here in France, but as I work with kids I had to...I was Harry Potter. Literally I was him.
Nice. You should have some Polyjuice Potion while grabbing Wilson Steffi Graf racket, so you can become and play like her for a while
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 03:36 AM   #2423
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Oh my! These two are hilarious....

https://www.facebook.com/officialsteffigraf
Wow, Steffi and Bjork, two of my favorites!
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 04:33 AM   #2424
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

Graf is the best ever but is soon to lose that title to Serena.
forehand27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2425

Steffi was also a very good tourist. She probably could have done advertisements for various cities' Tourism Offices.

Graf Has An Easy Time Of It
November 11, 1992
Mark Kram
Philadelphia Daily News

When Steffi Graf came to Philadelphia for the $350,000 Virginia Slims tennis tournament this week (her first visit, incidentally), she had scads to see and do. There was the Eagles-Raiders game at Veterans Stadium on Sunday, shopping in Center City on Monday and... oh, why, of course... tennis last night at the Civic Center.

The opponent was one Elena Brioukhovets and it was over in a little less than an hour. Calling on a wicked serve and superior athleticism, Graf whipped Brioukhovets, 6-0, 6-1 and... where were we?... looked forward to stopping in at the Art Museum today and seeing the Flyers tomorrow at the Spectrum. Oh, and the Liberty Bell. She also plans to see that.

"I am enjoying it," said Graf, the top seed in the tournament and two-time U.S. Open champion. "We drove in on Saturday from New York and I got to see the game Sunday."

And... ?

"Well... I think it was important for Philadelphia to win after their last three or four matches. Now Randall (Cunningham) comes back. "

We were tempted to ask Steffi her opinion of the four wideouts, but, well, tennis called... Now that she has beaten the Russian Brioukhovets (who probably took longer to get through U.S. Customs than to lose to Graf), Graf is scheduled to take on the winner of the showdown today between Zina Garrison and Conchita Martinez.

(That is, of course, if her travel agent can somehow squeeze it into her schedule.)

Graf professed to be delighted with her performance, and why not? She came, she saw, she conquered. While Brioukhovets summoned up enough to pick up a game in the second set with a smart backhand down the sideline, it was clear from the beginning she was in too deep. Graf beat to her right, beat to her left, beat her up in close to the net, and beat her deep. In the first set, when the Russian slipped a winning point down the side and grinned to herself (as if to say, "Finally!"), the relentess German spun her around with an ace that looked like something landing at Philadelphia International.

"This was one-sided, but I enjoyed it," said Graf, the winner of seven singles titles this year and the runner-up to Monica Seles for the Kraft Tour lead. "I was happy with the way I played."

Graf spoke of needing to improve her net game, but did not seem especially concerned. When asked if she was looking ahead to the Virginia Slims championships in New York next week, Graf said, no, she was concentrating on this week. Which, so far, has been a blast.

"I got this crazy T-shirt today," Graf said. "I am having a good time."

Oh, one other thing: How did you enjoy American football? How does it compare with European football?

"The two are such different sports," Graf said. "Two different types of people go to the games. In Europe, soccer is more rowdy, more crazy."

Someone should have walked her up to the 700 level. Now that would have been a sight...

HIGHS AND LOWS

Ever since Zina Garrison stunned Steffi Graf and Monica Seles at Wimbledon two years ago, before losing to Martina Navratilova in the final, she has skidded out of the upper rankings of the sport. After topping Brenda Schultz, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (9-7), yesterday Garrison conceded that her "priorities changed" in the wake of her sudden brush with stardom. Garrison said that her "dedication" for the sport seemed to dwindle.

"Wimbledon was a high and it was followed by a low," said Garrison, ranked 18th in the world and unseeded in the tournament this week. "I had to decide if I still wanted to continue doing this. The answer was yes. I still enjoy the competition, being out there with something on the line."
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM   #2426
country flag forehand27

forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold forehand27 is a splendid one to behold

Does Graf do any commentary these days.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM   #2427
country flag forehand27

I know not for the U.S but maybe for some Eurostation.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2428
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

The opponent was one Elena Brioukhovets and it was over in a little less than an hour. Calling on a wicked serve and superior athleticism, Graf whipped Brioukhovets, 6-0, 6-1 and... where were we?... looked forward to stopping in at the Art Museum today and seeing the Flyers tomorrow at the Spectrum. Oh, and the Liberty Bell. She also plans to see that.

Wonder if she ever missed visiting a museum in any city that she played/visited. Always up for it.
Even during recent Taiwan visit, she made sure she went to the museum and picked up some souveniors for her kids.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Wonder if she ever missed visiting a museum in any city that she played/visited. Always up for it. Even during recent Taiwan visit, she made sure she went to the museum and picked up some souveniors for her kids.
I have heard gossip that a few tournament organizers figured out that if they wanted Steffi to attend a sponsor party and not act like she was trying to escape from the seventh ring of hell, they turned it into an art exhibition or photography symposium instead of the standard cocktail party and buffet line.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2430

Graf And Sanchez To Meet In The Final Steffi Graf Needed Only 42 Minutes To Demolish Jennifer Capriati, 6-0, 6-1, In Their Semifinal.
November 15, 1992
Diane Pucin
PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER

Jennifer Capriati was nothing but some poor, misplaced trout yesterday at the Civic Center, mouth open, swimming back and forth, following Steffi Graf's forehands and backhands around the court.

Capriati, the No. 4 seed, lost, 6-0, 6-1, to Graf, the No. 1 seed, in the semifinals of the Virginia Slims of Philadelphia tournament.

Graf will play Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in today's 12:45 p.m. final. Sanchez, the No. 3 seed, came back to beat No. 2 seed Gabriela Sabatini, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, last night. If Graf plays today like she did yesterday, the awards ceremony will be held about 1:30 p.m.

If only she had one more digit. Then Capriati could have counted the points she won from Graf on her fingers and toes.

Twenty-one points was all for Capriati in the 42-minute match. That's like a baseball team scoring a run every 18 innings or a football team scoring a touchdown every three weeks. It means you lose.

Capriati wasn't devastated or anything afterward. How could she be? She never had a chance. "I couldn't breathe out there," Capriati said. "She was all over me. It was like she had an answer for everything." Graf had answers before Capriati could even come up with the questions. The answers: slice backhands so low that the net seemed to duck just so Graf's ball would float over; wicked forehands that seemed to be guided by some cruel radar that allowed the ball to only land on a line, the baseline, the sidelines, the service line, always on a line.

After Graf had held her serve with the loss of one point in the first game, Capriati found out exactly how hopeless this brief afternoon would be. The 16- year-old, who has worked hard to get her serves up around 100 m.p.h. on a regular basis, couldn't win a point in the second game on her own serve. The game took less than a minute and Capriati's eyes got a little wide and her mouth formed a little pout.

Graf said that her last three matches here "have shown the best I can show." Graf, this year's 23-year-old Wimbledon champion, is particularly happy with the way she is using the court. Against Capriati, Graf used that annoyingly low slice backhand to draw Capriati wider and wider until, after two or three shots, Graf would have an entire court into which to direct her ferocious forehand.

"I know I can go for shots whenever I want," Graf said. "I am simply enjoying (tennis) very much. I am aware of everything that is happening."

After going to the Flyers' game Thursday, Graf said she enjoyed one moment in particular in Philadelphia's 8-5 win. "I especially like when (Eric) Lindros knocked a guy down and the crowd started going crazy shouting 'Er-Ric, Er-Ric.' " If this had been a hockey game yesterday, Graf would have knocked Capriati down and the crowd would have been shouting 'Stef-Fi, Stef-Fi.' "

There was lots of shouting last night. There were two Catalan flags and a rowdy balcony-level crowd for Sanchez, who comes from Barcelona, Spain, home of the Catalans and their red-and-yellow flag. But there was also an Argentine flag hanging from the balcony and even more fans cheering for Sabatini.
Story continues below.

From the start, Sanchez seemed in control. Even while Sabatini was winning the first set, it was Sanchez, the 20-year-old who won the 1989 French Open, who was dictating play. Sanchez kept Sabatini sprawling, like a hockey goalie on a bad night. Sanchez was playing well-plotted points. Every shot seemed to have a purpose, to keep Sabatini off guard. Sanchez said she knew Sabatini would try to come to the net often. Sanchez said she didn't want Sabatini at the net. Sabatini didn't get there often. Sabatini said she was tired, especially in the third set. Sanchez could take the credit because she always had Sabatini moving.

"I knew I had to be aggressive," Sanchez said. "If not, she would come into the net. From the beginning (of the match), I was hitting the ball very well. I play the important points exactly the way I was thinking to do."

Graf owns a 15-3 career advantage over Sanchez. But Sanchez's three wins have come at crucial times. The first was in the final of the '89 French Open; the second was in the semifinals of the 1991 French Open; the third was just last September, in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open.

If Sanchez's match against Sabatini had lasted three more minutes (it took 2 hours, 3 minutes), it would have been three times as long as Graf's 42- minute blowout. "She's playing really well at the moment," Sanchez conceded. "But I don't have nothing to lose." Nothing but a little time, maybe a very little time.