Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :) - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #16
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your thoughts of Maria's 2012 :)

Her best year in a long time, with much to be excited about. Capping off the career Slam was a moment to remember forever. But she left a lot of opportunities out there. Maybe several of her fans, myself included, are too spoiled by Maria's success and are too negative and demanding. But the way I look at it is, tennis is an individual sport and, as a fan, you get to enjoy your favorite player once. It's not like rooting for the New York Yankees, New England Patriots, or Manchester United. Players come and go, but the franchise is always there for you. But there's only one Maria in the game of tennis. And once she's gone, she's gone for good. So that's why I and others have this sense of urgency for Maria to win as many titles as she can now, while she's at her peak. She'll be 26 next year and you don't know how many good title chances she'll have left. Will her game hold up? Will her health be there? Will other players rise up and surpass her? Will Serena continue to be invincible? You just don't know what the future holds. So when Maria loses 6 finals in one year, it stings. And at some point, you can't just say, "she'll get'em next year."

It was, as always, a pure joy to see Maria perform at a high level this year. So many great tournament runs. So many smiles on her face. I loved so much of it and am excited that after all these years, she's still a top 3 player. But I REALLY burn to see her win more titles to add to her legacy and get more respect from fans and the media. I want her to be remembered as one of the all-time great champions.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #17
country flag Kitten63

Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute Kitten63 has a reputation beyond repute

Too many lost finals and beat downs but still an incredible year. I remember back in 2009/2010 when she was serving a million double faults, losing early at the slams,losing to players she shouldn't be losing to and not being able to beat top 10 players. Now I look at how she's turned it around and has had one of the best seasons of her career and the best one after the surgery and I can't be anything but happy and proud of her for everything she's done this year.

Here's to an even better year in 2013

Anna Chakvetadze Petra Kvitova Jelena Jankovic Nicole Vaidisova Svetlana Kuznetsova Dinara Safina Elena Dementieva Vera Zvonereva Nadia Petrova Marion Bartoli Samantha Stosur

0663...Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Federer Gasquet Djokovic Youzhny Berdych Ancic Soderling
Kitten63 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #18
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

Mexicola, Maria reached and won what she could reach and win at the given moment with the form/health she had on those days when she played... Yes, we do wish her to do better but our wishes don't play on court, Maria Sharapova, a human made of flesh and blood with good and bad days, with happy and sad moments off court, with these and that thoughts, with better and worse form, was out there playing... And she won when she was good enough to win. Imagine if we didn't have any of what she got this year? It is what it is... And for her standards (because my oh my, she is no Serena, nor Henin etc.) she did good enough to be called a success...
Let's see how she does in the future! I wish her from all my heart to do good!!!! It's gonna be a brutal year, because she has a lot to defend! I wish her good luck and good play! We can only watch and hope for best, she will be the one who will play. But I am sure of one thing, she always gives what she has in that given moment... She doesn't tank matches...
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #19
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Even though it's seemed like her comeback has been really gradual, in another way it's been quite quick if you consider that this time 2 years ago, her career seemed well and truly in the toilet -- that rotten period between September 2010 and March 2011 That AO match against Petkovic, where Maria seemed so utterly lost, that was the one time I genuinely thought she would never win a Slam again.

Anyway, coming into this year, I just wanted a Slam and for Maria to remain as part of the elite (the thing I'd missed the most of all in the Wilderness Years wasn't the lack of titles per se, it was mainly the fact she wasn't around in the sharp end of the big tournaments and thus I was seeing her play less on tennis's big stages) -- she managed to do both those things plus a lot more on top, so I'm more than satisfied Of course I would've preferred her to win a few more of those finals to make the season even better, but I'll NEVER understand this line that some GM posters have been peddling all year that it's somehow better to lose in an early round than it is to lose in a final, just because it ruins your winning % in finals. As if that's one of the most important stats when assessing greatness anyway.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #20
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

It was an amazing year. More than I could have ever hoped for given how 2011 started and ended. RG was such a special moment for me as a tennis fan, but what I love more than anything else as a Maria fan is seeing her gut out three setters even when she's not at her best. There were a ton of those this year, and a lot of them were really high quality for a change.

The most exciting part is she will only get better.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #21
country flag MM_1257

MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of MM_1257 has much to be proud of

OK, Maria's 2012 in pictures for me... – part 1
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2012
1st we had to curl up our nerves for the thriller of the Lisicki match in AO... Maria managed to beat her in 3 sets and ended celebrating like this:

Then our hearts were beating fast for the SF clash... Maria vs. Kvitova... Kvitova went into the match as the favourite on paper after eating Maria alive in Wimbledon and playing her tough all 2011 and ending the year with stron performances in YEC... But Maria stayed tough, hung in there (as she likes to say) and won in 3!!! We couldn't be happier...

On to the F... We had great expectations... Ended up a bit bitter... We saw even some tears from her... But... Nerves of being in another Slam final got to her... She wiped tears, we cried... But she gave yet again one of her amazing trophy speeches!

We move on..
FED CUP 2012 comes... And we get to see a lot of AMAZE... The most epic team pics EVER are produced on the snow on Red Square in Moscow...

We get CutePova chatting with team-mates and BFFing with Sveta..
and we get one of best ever pics of Masha:
and one of best ever Masha Marat greeting... At least on pictures:
and ofc tired, shocked by the climate change and slightly ill Masha winning one FC match in Moscow...

Then PARIS 2012... IndoorPova, HairribbonPova, and IllPova loses to an inspired Kerber, who later ended up developing into an amazing top 10 player with great season!

European Season said bye for some time... Maria went home to USA... We hoped for new goods... Stay tuned for part 2...
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #22
country flag MM_1257

Maria's 2012 in pictures for me... – part 2
THE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN EXHIBITION
I have to play with Rory??
I have to dance??
INDIAN WELLS 2012 comes..
Some amazing OFF court interviews with Masha looking so relaxed and happy.. and ofc Caro's failed trick!
and... »you had to do this? They made me blow on some... stick...«

Some great matches until the match with the other Masha, who seemed so inspired... Surely Maria Sharapova destroyed some of our nerves in that match and we were all on werge of sending her our future medical bills. But she managed to win! And we got some famous quotes after the match... Tough love between the ex-BFFs..

some CompassionPova for Ana (in this match and in the Kiri match and in the final Masha really had me worrying for her ankle since she was stretching it..)

and the final... Another heartbreak-er for us... She played bad, Vika outplayed her and deservingly won the title.. Masha ended being a runner-up..

MIAMI 2012
aka Maria's »home« tournament.. She has a lot of friends on Florida and grew up there.. We saw a NervyPova... She struggled all tournament and ended up losing a final we all thought she'd »easily« win... Our hearts sank... We started wondering... Will she ever win a final again with this record?? Maria sounded really gutted in the trophy ceremony...

But she decided to shake it off, visited Disneyland and decided to trick us brilliantly... The tennis world gasped for a few hours (a day) and her FB exploded with comments, the news spread like a fire on websites all over the world – Maria Sharapova CUT HER HAIR!!! We were in disbelief, mourning her long hair and TM ponytail..

But 24h later she told us she didn't cut her hair... And that it was a wig for a photosession which ended being AMAZING! And we were all depressed again because all of a sudden we started loving the short hair on her...
On to Europe again..
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #23
country flag MM_1257

Maria's 2012 in pictures for me... – part 3
STUTTGART 2012
Maria enters Stuttgart... We are all thrilled, thinking – cool, she is adding another clay tounrament to prepare herself for her "worst" surface, without realizing what comes... In her first match Masha plays a bit shaky, isn't that solid.. But then comes one of best WTA matches of 2012 – her QF against Stosur... An epic 3 setter!!! An amazing fight! Masha ends up winning it 7-5 in the 3rd set...

A tough battle against Kvitova follows; we are scared since Kvitova is the indoor GOAT and because of the history of difficult matches between them... Maria prevails, wins in 2, ends Kvitova's amazing indoor record and moves into another final... against Vika.. Caution is the word... We didn't know what to expect.. Maria played yet again one of her best matches and defeated her main rival brilliantly.. She is thrilled, we are thrilled... and she wins a beautiful car... ClayPova was born in this tournament!!!! Brilliant play.

MADRID 2012
Maria struggled on the nice on tv, but not in reality- new blue clay, and lost to Serena in QFs.. Barely moved well in that match... Too tight.. Serena later won the title.

ROME 2012
Maria is defending the title.. Will she do it? Can she do it?
She reached the final.. And the final turned out to be very.. odd... Masha was on the losing end and even was at risk of getting bagelled in the 2nd set... But somehow, with her not giving up and with Li Na getting tight.. she fought teeth and nails and.. WON! YAY! ClayPova wa there to stay!!! But what an epic match that was, full of crazy and drama... sirenes, helicopters flying, rain and more rain, muddy court and rain delay and waiting for 3h to play an epic tiebreak!!! Hats off to both girls for playing in the conditions (while the ATP elite players couldn't).. We got an amazing handhsake at the end from both Max's girls..

ROLAND GARROS 2012
Practice.. The impossible is possible.. Maria smiling next to Serena and her team.. And people guessing; is that a sunscreen? a deodorant?

We were very scared about her potential match against Serena, but Serena shocked the world by losing early in round 1... The draw was open...
From round 1 Maria had an amazing aura around her to me... I loved her dress, it made her look strong and intimidating... And I loved her jacket... And boy did she rock the 1st round!!!

And 2nd and 3rd!!! In the mean time she produced again amazing interviews off court and a stunning look aswell...

Then round 4 came... Bad weather in Paris, bad day of play for Maria, struggled a lot... But managed to win a difficult 3 set match! In which AngryPova paid a visit and had a small argument with the umpire to spice it up a bit... And in which Maria reminded us why she used to call herself »a cow on ice«.

Maria improved in her next round and showed a brilliant play in very windy conditions and in SF defeated Kvitova again... By that time Maria knew, she'd be no.1 in the next week.. The joy on her face was priceless!!! So was our joy! Finally, she managed to climb back on top, after so many years of struggling and she reached her 1st final in RG!!! On clay!!! Unbelievable..

The final came... Maria was the heavy favourtie against an inspired Sara Errani... Cannot say that some of us weren't worried, with questions- is she gonna do it, can she hold her nerve... She did!!! Amazingly.. And WON!!!!! After an hour and 29 min Maria was on her knees!!!! Again a Grand Slamp Champion!!! Winning on Roland Garros, a tournament she herself sometimes doubted that she would have one day!!! Completing a Career Grand Slam!!! After all the struggles she was trully back! And in style! Dreams do come true... We were in 9th Heaven and full of pride!!! *tears up*

This tournament was like it was written in Heaven.. Like it was meant to be for her... I had the same feelings like I did for Roger's Roland Garros in 2009.. And it was even sweeter when Monica Seles, the player who Maria admired to watch when she was little, gave her the trophy...

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #24
country flag MM_1257

We were proud, Russia was proud while the Russian national anthem was played in Paris... Maria was fighting back tears...

After that the 2nd best picture of the year was made in the locker room of Roland Garros..

ProudTeamPova

And one of the most hilarious interviews was produced...
Nobody sensed at that time that the ring would go off her finger in the next few days and that the engagement with Sasha Vujacic would be ended...

More tomorrow!!!!
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #25
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

Arguably her best season ever. While the beat downs weren't great the way she was able to shrug them off and keep plugging away was so impressive. She has not been impatient with Thomas and has just kept working hard. RG was amazing my fave tennis memory!!! Even more than her first Slam. It was just so special. The silver medal and carrying the Olympic flag for Russia was so amazing. I was so happy as well that she got back to where she belongs at the US Open. She has made some great improvements this year and I think she will do even better next year. What Serena has done this year proves that age is no barrier.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #26
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Winning Roland Garros was like a dream come true.
To me, this was her best season since 2006. The only reason why 2006 is ahead, is because of the many beatdowns she got, and all the Finals she lost.

Still, I would gladly get another year like that next year, if that means 3 more titles, including a Slam.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #27
country flag claypova
#sugarfamily

claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute

It was a great year, but it could've been SO much better if she had a clue on hardcourts
claypova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #28
Cherry.

Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of Cherry. has much to be proud of

Maya, your picture recap of the year is AMAZING.
London Olympics 2012 - Proud Flag Bearer of Russian Federation & Silver Medalist

Martina Hingis|Roger Federer|Stanislas Wawrinka|Grigor Dimitrov
Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #29
country flag Joelina

Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future Joelina has a brilliant future

amazing year, but too many beatdowns in finals, that´s true, she should have won Miami and it would be amazing year but there is lots of room for impovements in her game, hopefully she will come more stronger in 2013

Kvitova Ivanovic Cepelova Hantuchova Jankovic
Joelina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #30
country flag Steven.

Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPUNXEL View Post
This year was amazing. Bravo Maria!
i am SCREAMING who banned him/her? I need him/her in my life