Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 57 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #841
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

This is an AWESOME interview!!! Martina is so interesting to listen to, as she shares a lot of personal things and is really not afraid of speaking her mind, and that's appealing no matter if you're not a fan. I'm in the middle yet but I have to stop as I have to do some work, so I'll finish later! Oh, the music she chose... it's quite an interesting selection.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 13th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #842
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

So moving ...Love her music choices ,curious she didn't pick Dvorak and his New World Symphony .
I'm a fan since 1978 and she never disappointed me .
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #843
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

^^^^ It's not an "interview" with Martina, it's her choice of records on "Desert Island Discs", a radio show that's been running on the BBC since 1942. Each week, a "castaway" gets to choose his or her eight favourtie pieces of music, while explaining his or her choices and talking about his or her life. At the end, the "castaway" picks a favourite book and a luxury item for his or her stay on the imaginary island.
-----

Last edited by newmark401 : Aug 20th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #844
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Here's a nice piece by Lance Tingay, featured in the "Players of the Year" section of the "World of Tennis" annual covering the year 1978:

"The BP Cup matches on the Palace Courts at Torquay at the end of January and the beginning of February 1973 still hold vivid memories for those who were there. The Czech women's team had a left-hander who played like a fireball. She was 16 years old and a volleyer – an absurdly imprudent volleyer. It is on record that in the round robin part of the tournament Glynis Coles beat her 7-6, 1-6, 6-2. However, it is also on record that when Great Britain and Czechoslovakia met in the final, Miss Navratilova beat Veronica Burton 6-7, 6-4, 6-4 and then Miss Coles 6-3, 6-2, and that Czechoslovakia won 3-2 against Britain and took the trophy. It was obvious that either Miss Navratilova, then at a joyous age when all in the west was new and bright and wonderful, would burn herself out or become a force in the game.

"The last of Miss Navratilova in her capacity as promoter of Czech national fervour was in the spring of 1975 in Aix-en-Provence. She was not, of course, the whole of the Czech side but she was its guiding strength. Even on the slow, clay court her aggression was dynamic, irresistible. She won, personally invincible, and the Federation Cup was won by Czechoslovakia. Later that year at Forest Hills she proclaimed herself a refugee from her native land. She was still short of her 19th birthday.

"No one could dispute her prosperity as an American resident or fail to acknowledge her vital force as a player. It was not until 1978 that the prestige of her accomplishment matched the richness of her rewards. At last she won the big ones instead of losing them, winning for herself what she had hitherto won only for her former country.

"Her personal triumphs began on the 1978 Virginia Slims circuit. Tournament after tournament she dominated, and between Houston and Kansas City she took six competitions in succession. It was almost a relief of tensions when in Dallas she allowed herself to be beaten in the quarter-final by Tracy Austin and the next week by Evonne Cawley. But when it came to the final play-off series, she avenged herself on Mrs Cawley very adequately. Yet even winning the Virginia Slims circuit so forthrightly - and taking $214,350 in prize money – would not necessarily in itself commend Miss Navratilova to the headlines of the history book.

"The Wimbledon Championships brought that about. Miss Navratilova's game was made for the quick ripostes of fast turf and in 1978 the conquest of her own nerves enabled her to bring it to fruition. In the course of winning Wimbledon she made Miss Austin pay for her temerity early in the season; Mrs Cawley, as delightful in defeat as in victory, fell to her again; and in the last match Chris Evert succumbed to the cuts and thrusts of the sharp Czech steel whose potential had first been revealed at Torquay five years before..."
-----

Last edited by newmark401 : Aug 21st, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #845
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Just came upon some interesting info about Martina, myself! Was talking about Chris & Martina with a local artist here in Santa Fe, who ~turns out~ did some sculptural work on Martina's property in Aspen back in the late 80s. He asked me for a piece of paper, scribbled down these letters: NOXQSS ...and as I looked at it, he said, "That was Martina's license place."

I had to sound it out - but 'no excuses' - pretty funny!! Gotta love that.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

Last edited by daze11 : Sep 10th, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #846
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

So Martina!
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #847
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Brief footage of a young Czech hopeful playing in the Annie Soisbault Cup back in 1973:

http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societ...tilova.fr.html
Thanks for this great footage, guys. It's really cute.

For those interested in what Martina's saying in the video:

"My name is Martina Navrátilová, I started playing tennis when I was five. Right now I'm seventeen so I've been playing for about 12 years now. I started playing tennis, because I liked the game and also because my parents played it, they were both tennis players. My tennis goal is to achieve the highest prize, i.e. to win Wimbledon. As yet, I've beaten Nancy Richey Gunter, who was 5th in the world's rankings, and Helga Masthoff, who was ranked 10th. So I'm satisfied with my results so far."

Thanks once again for the vid.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #848
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks once again for the vid.
Thank you for translating Petronius!

What part of the Czech Republic are you from?

For those who watch the clip the first face seen is a very young Mima Jausovec. The video really does a good job of showing Martina's power and natural ability to slide on clay-no surprise since she grew up on it.

and ya gotta love the two-toned color on the shorts to hold the balls
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #849
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Tooling around on the ina site I found this-it claims to be a clip of Martina's first appearance on TV and is from 1972-a year earlier than the other clip. Note that for 30 seconds the screen is blank-then it shows Martina in black and white.

http://www.ina.fr/sport/tennis/video...sbault.fr.html
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #850
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Thank you for translating Petronius!

What part of the Czech Republic are you from?

For those who watch the clip the first face seen is a very young Mima Jausovec. The video really does a good job of showing Martina's power and natural ability to slide on clay-no surprise since she grew up on it.

and ya gotta love the two-toned color on the shorts to hold the balls
You're welcome. I'm from Prague, the capital city.

Although Martina was born in Prague, they shortly afterwards moved to a little town of Řevnice (just 6 km from Prague). The local tennis club where she developed her amazing skills now bears her name. The club was founded as early as in 1902.

Here's a nice pic of her from the club website, she was already head and shoulders above the field

BTW, the other video you found is also great. She already had great feel for the ball and moved effortlessly.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #851
Double Fault
Team WTAworld

Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all Double Fault is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Tooling around on the ina site I found this-it claims to be a clip of Martina's first appearance on TV and is from 1972-a year earlier than the other clip. Note that for 30 seconds the screen is blank-then it shows Martina in black and white.

http://www.ina.fr/sport/tennis/video...sbault.fr.html
Fab video. Thanks for digging it up. That must be the earliest video of Martina I have ever seen.
Double Fault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #852
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fellow Martina admirers!
Just popping in to wish Magnificent Martina a Happy 56th Birthday! Doubtless she's got lots of challenges and adventures lined up for the coming year. May she be blessed with love, health and happiness, too.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #853
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Happy birthday Martina have a great day with your lovely family
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #854
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks for the notice Andy.

Happy birthday Martina-from one lefty to another!

For those who would like to find birthdays please note that I have started a birthday thread here at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=467650

It's still a work in progress, but all the Wimbledon champs have been added. As 9 time winner of Martina just might be on the list
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #855
country flag Wimbledon9

Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of Wimbledon9 has much to be proud of

Happy happy birthday Martina in Europe with all the people you love.
Wimbledon9 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote