Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012 (1 match and a withdrawal) - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #61
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
Petra said that Adam was hitting way too hard for her and they ditch him, i guess that's why they didn't hire anybody else but Kotyza should've know better that proper hitting partner cant tweak his shots but juniors can't and coach better coaching when watching player not when hitting with one because you can't properly evaluate stuff. Maybe now they find some kids that would hit with power that Petra needs

I think he was there just as her boyfriend but maybe she hit with him few times, who knows
I don't know/never heard Petra mention he "hit too hard for her". I thought Adam left (Ahem), cause he had to concentrate on his upcoming Pro career.

And even if he did "hit too hard", Adam could temper it, or Petra could get used to it.

And there are certain elements where that "problem" would come in handy (like practicing your ROS, volleys and touch shots under duress during certain drills). That's what you want then.

Last year, Petra was winning the ground stroke battles facing the top players. This year, Petra was making too many errors in that area (particularly against Sharapova, when all the other top players were kicking Sharpies ass). I don't see how Adam "hitting too hard (if true)", would hurt. Sounds like a cop out, a passing or faulty reason. All Males hit hard!! Come on now!

And you also brought up another excellent point. An experienced hitting partner can tailor his shots in a more subtle manner than a youngster could. They can work with you better and know what you want more than a in-experienced kid ever could.

So we'll see how this (Junior Brigade) thing works in a few weeks? However, I continue to believe Petra's team this past year has been almost totally clueless (and cheap).

They need a leader or someone to take charge. It almost seems like a rudderless ship--moving aimlessly. Every good idea seems to be an afterthought (or after the fact).
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #62
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
It was in Czech press around Wimbledon, i don't remember just before or after it, She said that she stopped hitting with Adam cause she can't handle his power because he was hitting too hard for her or something like that. We need to ask Petronius maybe he remembers that article.

I think even Petra don't know in what direction she wants to move besides just simple winning and dominating, I'm waiting for this off season because it can be milestone in her career how they handle her sophomore slump and how they retool her team.
Agreed.

I don't think Petra's lazy or lacks ambition per se. She and her team are just uneven too many times, and don't appear (in their actions) to know what it really takes to be great. They're like the nice, cute. unassuming tadpoles, Goldfish or guppies swimming in veritable shark infested waters.

They appear to lack a consistency of high standards and focus through out a tennis season, with too many inexcusable dips and mistakes from all of them.

I been ragging on them more lately, cause I don't see any improvements, while they continue to make dumb mistakes.

Like you, I'll never write Petra off--due to her talent and unpredictability. But at the same time, you don't expect her to do well, just cause it's destined. You would like good planning, confidence and conditioning, hard work, practices and expert tweaking of her game--to have positive effects as well.

At this moment, I don't think Petra and her team have distinguished themselves at the highest levels of preparation. Of course things can change. But until it does, you gotta wonder when/if it will. And like you said: What will Petra's development bring for the end of 2012 and 2013?

That's the scary part/proposition. Stay tuned.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #63
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Agreed.

I don't think Petra's lazy or lacks ambition per se. She and her team are just uneven too many times, and don't appear (in their actions) to know what it really takes to be great. They're like the nice, cute. unassuming tadpoles, Goldfish or guppies swimming in veritable shark infested waters.

They appear to lack a consistency of high standards and focus through out a tennis season, with too many inexcusable dips and mistakes from all of them.

I been ragging on them more lately, cause I don't see any improvements, while they continue to make dumb mistakes.

Like you, I'll never write Petra off--due to her talent and unpredictability. But at the same time, you don't expect her to do well, just cause it's destined. You would like good planning, confidence and conditioning, hard work, practices and expert tweaking of her game--to have positive effects as well.

At this moment, I don't think Petra and her team have distinguished themselves at the highest levels of preparation. Of course things can change. But until it does, you gotta wonder when/if it will. And like you said: What will Petra's development bring for the end of 2012 and 2013?

That's the scary part/proposition. Stay tuned.
that's exactly what I've always thought...it's not down to laziness or anything like that. more cluelessness than anything else.

I will say it's kind of refreshing to be a fan of someone inconsistent. You never take wins for granted :P or losses, for that matter.

Still afraid of the 2013 season but I keep thinking in the back of my mind that perhaps there will be some ridiculous turnaround, and 2012 will be looked at as the year she needed to settle into things, and 2013 will be the ~projected dominance that 2012 was supposed to be. And then I think ohhh God I shouldn't get my hopes up.
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #64
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by netphobia View Post
that's exactly what I've always thought...it's not down to laziness or anything like that. more cluelessness than anything else.

I will say it's kind of refreshing to be a fan of someone inconsistent. You never take wins for granted :P or losses, for that matter.

Still afraid of the 2013 season but I keep thinking in the back of my mind that perhaps there will be some ridiculous turnaround, and 2012 will be looked at as the year she needed to settle into things, and 2013 will be the ~projected dominance that 2012 was supposed to be. And then I think ohhh God I shouldn't get my hopes up.
Yes. They're like the Gang That Can't Shoot Straight, the Three Stooges (when they had Ivanko) or any other metaphors/examples of haplessness you can come up with . Well intentioned; just comical at times.

Nice people with nice goals, who want Petra to do well. Not sure if they realize the comprehensive commitment they and Petra need for her to be great (unless they're just taking it easy on her during her "transitional" year)?

As you said, maybe it will all click for Petra in 2013. We'll see? Cause right now it seems like her team and practice regimen are all over the place.

But there's still time (and like we alluded, maybe they're waiting on 2013 to implement the top flight--comprehensive team or management of Petra's schedule, training, practices, medical advice, strategic goals and game planning)?

Of course, if/when Petra plays lights out (for what ever reason), all will be tabled--though not forgotten (till the next unexpected loss, crappy play and dead period).
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #65
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior
They're like the nice, cute. unassuming tadpoles, Goldfish or guppies swimming in veritable shark infested waters.
Quote:

Yes, just call it FINDING PETRA (instead of Nemo).

They're/it's just like that underwater world and it's host of assorted lovable to sundry cast of characters.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #66
country flag steni

steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future

Off topic, I always wonder what the Pliskova twins(I kinda like them) think about Petra, if they see her as a role model or something else, in a recent interview Krystina said something interesting, btw somebody knows if Petra has a friendship with the twins?

Krystina Pliskova
If you could meet anyone in the world who would you like it to be?
KP: On court or off court? On court, it would be Petra Kvitova. Off court, ummm, I'm not sure.

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/Gettin...945700,00.html

Last edited by steni : Sep 23rd, 2014 at 03:47 PM.
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #67
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yes, just call it FINDING PETRA (instead of Nemo).

They're/it's just like that underwater world and it's host of assorted lovable to sundry cast of characters.
oMFG NOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Off topic, I always wonder what the Pliskova twins(I kinda like them) think about Petra, if they see her as a role model or something else, in a recent interview Krystina said something interesting, btw somebody knows if Petra has a friendship with the twins?

Krystina Pliskova
If you could meet anyone in the world who would you like it to be?
KP: On court or off court? On court, it would be Petra Kvitova. Off court, ummm, I'm not sure.

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/Gettin...945700,00.html
whaaat does that mean.

Is she saying she wants to play Petra??? Which...I guess means she respects her. Or thinks she can beat her? Or does she just think it would be fun to play a match??
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #68
country flag steni

steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future steni has a brilliant future

Quote:
oMFG NOOOO

whaaat does that mean.

Is she saying she wants to play Petra??? Which...I guess means she respects her. Or thinks she can beat her? Or does she just think it would be fun to play a match??
maybe this! lol
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #69
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
oMFG NOOOO

whaaat does that mean.

Sounds like it, would be an honor to play Petra and she really respects her countrywomen. Oh that's nice.

Then again, after Tokyo and Beijing who knows?
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #70
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is she saying she wants to play Petra??? Which...I guess means she respects her. Or thinks she can beat her?
May 16 2012
Kristýna „ Nothing against Petra but she is not my idol.“

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis/...vaidisova.html
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #71
country flag steni

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
May 16 2012
Kristýna „ Nothing against Petra but she is not my idol.“

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis/...vaidisova.html
So I think she wants to play Petra cause she wants to beat her than... lol
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #72
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Playing with guys is completely different than when you hit with girls – more topspin, deeper more powerful shots and ESPECIALLY more of the topspin-looper type shots that force you to hit w/open stance.
Yeah but I'd think that pro hitting partners have the ability to hit whatever shots the coach wants the player to work on.

Here's an article I'd posted to GM;

Quote:
http://www.tennis.com/gear/2012/10/g...art-two/39656/

JD: It’s important to have a good hitting partner, too. I’ve read that you worked with Maria Sharapova in this capacity. What does it take to be an exemplary sparring partner?

CM: Hitting partners are there to set up the ball for whatever the coach wants the player to do. It sounds simple, but actually doing it consistently is very tough. Because you’re trying to groove them and get their confidence up, and that’s tricky. For me, it was about trying to bridge the relationship between the coach and the player—seeing what he’s trying to do for her, the player, and then manipulating the ball in order for her to believe in what the coach is trying to tell her.

JD: What do you mean?

CM: Like, if we’re working on low balls, I’m manipulating the ball to be low, so that she can keep on hitting it and trusting it. It takes repetition to get that feel. But if I can’t hit that shot low and with slice in exactly the way the coach wants it to be hit, then the player might not start believing. And the coach can see: If the coach tries to hit with the player, he can’t evaluate him or her from different angles. To do his job, he needs the help of a good hitter.

JD: And if you’re not consistently perfect, then she may not get into that groove?

CM: Right, exactly. Hitting partners are ones who always give a great ball that’s consistent and true to what the rest of the field is hitting. I felt like I was always good, because I’m pretty fast, and I can get a lot of balls back. I’m like a human ball machine who can go from different places, different angles, and just hit you another ball. [Laughing]

JD: It seems on tour that it’s more the women who utilize hitting partners, not the men. Why is that?

CM: It’s a tough question. The subject of a hitting partner is weird, it’s interesting. I know guys use hitting partners to practice. Growing up, I practiced at Bollettieri’s, so I was a hitting partner for Boris Becker and Petr Korda—all the pros went over there to play. I traveled to Munich three times with Boris Becker to hit with him. I think that really helped me a lot in my game.

But yeah, I get this vibe: I don’t know if everyone feels like there’s a need for hitting partners. People say, like, “girls should be practicing with each other,” things like that. But for the women, I think they always travel with hitting partners just to make sure to always have somebody who’s better than them. But it’s a good question. I’m really not sure why it’s like that.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #73
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes. They're like the Gang That Can't Shoot Straight, the Three Stooges (when they had Ivanko) or any other metaphors/examples of haplessness you can come up with . Well intentioned; just comical at times.
Dang. You and a few others talk about these people like they're idiots. Which is of course nonsense. What's interesting is that it seems that some would rather think that "they're nice and clueless" rather than think that Kvitova has been lacking in her hunger to dominate. (Although she didn't win a major before she made the mental shift Azarenka is a good comparison. Her game hasn't changed - her attitude changed and desire to dominate increased.) Earlier this year - I was saying much the same thing and yeah I still think that I'd have her fit, toned and sharp. But really, Kviotva is the Czech tennis #1 - the people around her have access to all the advice they want. If it really is a team problem it is probably because underneath the "nice" exterior her coach has a "this is my thing, I'm gonna keep control and do it how I like" attitude.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #74
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Dang. You and a few others talk about these people like they're idiots. Which is of course nonsense. What's interesting is that it seems that some would rather think that "they're nice and clueless" rather than think that Kvitova has been lacking in her hunger to dominate. (Although she didn't win a major before she made the mental shift Azarenka is a good comparison. Her game hasn't changed - her attitude changed and desire to dominate increased.) Earlier this year - I was saying much the same thing and yeah I still think that I'd have her fit, toned and sharp. But really, Kviotva is the Czech tennis #1 - the people around her have access to all the advice they want. If it really is a team problem it is probably because underneath the "nice" exterior her coach has a "this is my thing, I'm gonna keep control and do it how I like" attitude.
Well, they are clueless cause of their mistakes (too numerous to mention, but hopefully you read the prior threads documenting them). The latest one being, Petra essentially admitting that they haven't really used any (or much) male hitting partners this year. And all of a sudden when Petra's discusses it, she's extolling the virtues of them (albeit Junior boys), and how they can help her game and prepare for the YEC, as if no one knew that.

For this year, her team always appears--1, 2, 3 steps behind regarding their decision making. Many times their decisions and explanations come off like a casual, small town-time team, than one for a Grand Slam winner and "most talented player under 31 yr old (see, giving respect to Serena) currently on the tour".

As far as Petra: She's a good kid that says she wants to win. And Kotyza says she's smart, determined, etc.. But Petra has her ways as well: She's not aware or mature enough at this stage (presumably for her lack of Top Juniors--it's world travel, and Petra's relaxed personality), to know what it really takes to be thorough professional day in day out (though she appears to be getting better at it). The problem with her team is, they don't seem to know either, or at least condone it.

Petra's manager Csernonek, has alluded to the fact in the past, that top down style coaches don't work with Petra (basically Kotyza caters to Petra and/or finds "unconventional" means to train her). OK. Kool. She's had success with Kotyza, after having success early in her career at 18-19 yrs old with another coach, then suffering injuries the next year, and finally a Wimby semifinal with the more relaxed Kotyza in 2010. However, I also feel that some one with high achievements (a great former coach or player), could make a great advisor, confidante, role model for Petra to listen to as well. That person could make Petra shoot for more sooner and be more comfortable with not only the absolute highest standards and goals, but the naturalness of being in that position. Does Kotyza command that type of respect?

Basically, it's like, you can wait on Petra's 1-4 years to mature/get it (if she ever does), or have someone on her team that can bring it out sooner/now?

Of course things can always change. So stay tuned.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #75
country flag pov

Quote:
Well, they are clueless cause of their mistakes (too numerous to mention, but hopefully you read the prior threads documenting them). The latest one being, Petra essentially admitting that they haven't really used any (or much) male hitting partners this year. And all of a sudden when Petra's discusses it, she's extolling the virtues of them (albeit Junior boys), and how they can help her game and prepare for the YEC, as if no one knew that.
Yeah. The thing is that I don't read much into reports like that. Things get said in the media in ways that often lead to the wrong conclusions. And I mean basically you're not far from saying that Kvitova is almost brain-dead. I'd think that they lost/fired their male hitting partners and were focused on other things so it just went by the wayside for a while. Now they're trying to find out what's "wrong" so that's raised as a possible factor. Her poor play hasn't been about her not getting to balls or being overwhelmed by hyper-spin or power. She just hasn't been fully engaged mentally and - probably as a result - hasn't been making her own shots too often. A male hitting partner won't help with either of those things. Plus she did fine on the US hard-court segment without one.