Peak Venus would destroy Peak Serenka in straight sets - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #121
country flag SV_Fan

SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future
Re: Peak Venus would destroy Peak Serenka in straight sets

Question:

What exactly is wrong with Venus' technique? It's criticized alot on this board.
SV_Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #122
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong? I'm more of a Venus fan than a Serena fan, but where do we start?

Both Venus's serve and her forehand have a lot more hitches than Serena's fluid game. So the second either becomes off-kilter it's error time, which can last for strings of games and even a full match.

That said peak Venus on grass is much more satisfying to watch—to me, anyway—because unlike Serena she plays a classic all-court grass game with more frequent forays to the net. Her last few Wimbledon titles delivered the kind of net-charging grass court tennis that people are often under the delusion that Federer plays. In fact it's Venus (along with Mauresmo) who held the last stand of an era of classic grass court tennis.

What any true Venus fan will tell you is that the fallibility of her game is part of the overall package and even why we love her because it's such a source of drama. She keeps you on the knife-edge rooting for her. That cliffhanger win over Davenport in the Wimbledon final was ultimate Venus, something no other player will match in terms of operatic drama.

I've always felt like that last USO encounter where Venus gifted set points galore to little sis was the ultimate turning point in their careers. I might be wrong, but Venus hasn't won a major since while Serena went on to win that very tournament and become far less meteoric and more dependable.

Last edited by Sally Todd : Oct 12th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Sally Todd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #123
country flag TPlaya8

TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of TPlaya8 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Todd View Post
What's wrong? I'm more of a Venus fan than a Serena fan, but where do we start?

Both Venus's serve and her forehand have a lot more hitches than Serena's fluid game. So the second either becomes off-kilter it's error time, which can last for strings of games and even a full match.

That said peak Venus on grass is much more satisfying to watch—to me, anyway—because unlike Serena she plays a classic all-court grass game with more frequent forays to the net. Her last few Wimbledon titles delivered the kind of net-charging grass court tennis that people are often under the delusion that Federer plays. In fact it's Venus (along with Mauresmo) who held the last stand of an era of classic grass court tennis.

What any true Venus fan will tell you is that the fallibility of her game is part of the overall package and even why we love her because it's such a source of drama. She keeps you on the knife-edge rooting for her. That cliffhanger win over Davenport in the Wimbledon final was ultimate Venus, something no other player will match in terms of operatic drama.

I've always felt like that last USO encounter where Venus gifted set points galore to little sis was the ultimate turning point in their careers. I might be wrong, but Venus hasn't won a major since while Serena went on to win that very tournament and become far less meteoric and more dependable.
Great Post And I too believe that US Open QF was the turning point. The way Venus got to those winning positions in both sets really made me feel like at their best she has the goods to beat Serena especially on fast surfaces. To me she dictated play and outhit Serena more in that match than she did at Wimbledon that year. Only difference was mentally she didn't play the important points well like she did at Wimbledon.

I still believe the way Serena responed and acted after Venus' win at Wimbledon affected Venus' mentallity in that US Open match.
TPlaya8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #124
new-york
和平.

new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute new-york has a reputation beyond repute

No one beats Peakrena.

Old Oct 13th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #125
country flag jrollaneres25

jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute jrollaneres25 has a reputation beyond repute

This match displays the closest we've seen of them near both of their peaks at the same time. Serena came out on top, but she still had to fend off a match point. I think it's safe to say Peak Vee and Peak Rena are more than likely EVENLY MATCHED!

Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
I am a pretty big Veeliver of Venus Williams, but I'm a FOLLOWER of

Jesus Christ!!
jrollaneres25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #126
country flag Singleniacki
~*Princess Karolina*~

Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute

Peak Marion > WTA
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #127
country flag MrProdigy555
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post
This match displays the closest we've seen of them near both of their peaks at the same time. Serena came out on top, but she still had to fend off a match point. I think it's safe to say Peak Vee and Peak Rena are more than likely EVENLY MATCHED!

That was not Serena's peak though.

You could tell how worn out/tired Serena was, as well as Venus. All the players looked dead that year in the WTA Championships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Don't make me come to T&T to huff and puff and blow your hut down, girl.
Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #128
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post

Not so sure if I could call this their 'peak'. But GREAT match and great example of their style of play.
However even with this example Serena's clutch-serving, desire to win (mental strength), and return game demonstrated the difference between the two. I suppose it depends on ones perspective though.

Best points of the match:
That incredible top-spin lob from Serena at 08:36.
That magnificent volley from Serena at the net @ 11:53.
The athleticism and shot selections starting @13:41, won by Venus.
And the wonderful BH-DTL shot by Serena.

Aside:
I wonder what people think of Venus' "psychology" in this match?
She even started grunting with maximum effort in the 3rd set.
Nice contribution jrollaneres25.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:36 PM   #129
country flag Passierschlag

Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light

Venus was such an incredible player in her prime.
Passierschlag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote