~Petra Martic~ - Page 199 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #2971
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ~Petra Martic~

With this win Petra actually only defended last year's points from Linz, but still great for her to go that far in a tournament. In singles there is a chance for a QF, but since it's just an International, even that wouldn't get her higher than around #57. Not bad, but not exactly where she deserves to be either.

Looking at next year, one thing cannot be overlooked. Petra has done horribly this year on virtually all mandatory events, and yet, somehow still managed to end the year close to top 50 (assuming she doesn't make a series of huge upsets here and wins the title). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all these events are mandatory: AO, Doha, IW, Miami, Madrid, Wimbledon, USO, Beijing - in neither of these tournaments has she managed to get away with a win. Hope that changes next year.
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2972
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Looking at next year, one thing cannot be overlooked. Petra has done horribly this year on virtually all mandatory events, and yet, somehow still managed to end the year close to top 50 (assuming she doesn't make a series of huge upsets here and wins the title). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all these events are mandatory: AO, Doha, IW, Miami, Madrid, Wimbledon, USO, Beijing - in neither of these tournaments has she managed to get away with a win. Hope that changes next year.
You make an excellent point, ma re. Her points from the mandatories have been a big drag on her ranking. That situation will improve next year--if only because it can't get any worse!

Btw, I think there are only 8 mandatories: the four GS's, the two mini-GS's (IW, Miami) and Madrid and Beijing.
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #2973
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

@ networthy: you're right, Doha is P5
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2974
battista

battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold battista is a splendid one to behold

Petra offcourt Linz:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralfreinecke/
battista is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2975
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

3rd match tmw, good luck girl
TimeyWimey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #2976
country flag TimeyWimey

TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of TimeyWimey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by battista View Post
nice photo, ralf also took some in 09, not sure if posted before
http://sports.webshots.com/album/574...XgAkR?start=24

so Petra in 09
--

in 12
--
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #2977
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeyWimey View Post
3rd match tmw, good luck girl
That means around 6 PM CET i.e around noon NY time, and for those of you in Europe, looks like Eurosport will cover the whole day of play on CC! That would be just...
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2978
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

Petra just closed out first set with score of 6-2!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #2979
country flag vladekCRO

vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold

final set, 3-0 for Petra
vladekCRO is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #2980
country flag TimeyWimey

couldn't watch the match, but looks like she's cruising right now
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2981
country flag TimeyWimey

closed out 6-0

just realized she's playing Vika in the quarters

at least we could expect her to do her part and see which Vika will show up tmw

good luck Petra
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #2982
country flag vladekCRO

vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold

6-0 Mayr got 5 points in final set

Next match against Azarenka
vladekCRO is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2983
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute

First, congratulations for beating Mayr so convincingly.
About playing Vika...well, I think it is amazing to have opportunity to play against world number 1! There is no any pressure on Petra and she just can enjoy every moment! I think one more win wouldn't mean so much for her rank, and I think this experience playing world number 1 means more than, for example SF of F of international tournament.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2984
country flag ma re

So let's see... This year Vika lost to:

- Bartoli on hard (Miami)
- MaSha on clay (Stuttgart)
- Serena on clay (Madrid)
- Cibulkova on clay (French)
- Serena on grass (Wimbledon & Olympics) and hard (USO)

Seems like tomorrow Petra will have an easy job

OK, let's not get ahead of ourselves (after all, Vika could get sick during the match...). Today I got the feeling that only the first set was won, while the other two were given through excessive errors coming from the other side. What made the difference is a) Mayr's inability to hold it together for a long time aka inconsistency and b) Petra's ability to calm down on time. Mayr is far from her best ranking and that speaks volumes, especially about consistency. I don't know how on earth she managed to surprise Lisicki to such a degree, but it was clear today that Petra was by far the better player, with herself as her only real threat. Mayr's defensive skills are not too shaby, but when Petra is composed and when her serve is working, she can keep things under control rather easily. Second set shows us what happens when her mind drifts and serve falls apart.

Tomorrow serious expectations would be ludicrous. I'd be happy with something like 6 games won by Petra and an interesting match. It would thrill me to see Petra loosen up as much as possible, use an array of weapons and try to provoke a firecracker of a match. Given how much Vika has been playing recently and that this is, after all, only an International, if Petra comes out ready to have some fun we could get a really interesting showdown.

Really looking forward to this one
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #2985
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future

Great
I couldn't watch the match. I will watch her tomorrow
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread