2012 Kim News - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #106
country flag kitb
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2012 Kim News

I rather think Kim wants to make the most of this very last tourney.
She's apparently healthy again and knows that focusing on singles only will most probably not help her go further anyway, so she just wants to give herself the opportunity to play as much as possible, I guess.
And if she's physically fit, she'll win her first few matches. Then we'll see who's waiting in the 3rd round.

Plus albeit a broken leg, I don't see Kim withdrawing from her last event. So she'll just go for it. That's so typically her ^^

kitb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #107
country flag Brαm

Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute Brαm has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like she'll go far in the singles draw, let's be honest. Round 4 would already be good since she'll be playing without any HC warm-up tournament under her belt... She's playing the US Open for fun and it's nice that she'll be playing in all three events for her very last tournament
Brαm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #108
country flag Robert-KimClijst

Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future

Exclusive interview with Kim Clijsters’s coach, Carl Maes. He has told The Tennis Space that Clijsters, who will retire after the US Open, ”is much loved in tennis – that’s partly because she’s a mother but also because she has the cuddly factor”. ”She will hopefully be remembered for being a nice person. If you look back at the last ten world number ones, Kim is probably the most approachable.”

Should we expect an emotional end to Kim’s career in New York?
“I think it will be emotional. It’s the second time that she has said her farewells to the tennis circuit, to this gypsy life, but you can say for sure this time that it’s final, and that she’s not going to come back. I had my doubts last time, after her first goodbye, that she would retire for good, because she was so young – though her body was aching I didn’t think it would ache for long. So it will be emotional because we all know that this is final, and also because she’s saying goodbye at the grand slam where she has had so much success. And she has a home not far from New York.”

How do you think Kim will be remembered?
“Hopefully as a nice person. If you look back at the last ten world number ones, Kim is probably the most approachable. That was partly because of being mother, but she also has the cuddly factor. Kim is much loved in tennis. I think with Kim, people will remember her personality as much as they will remember her tennis. Kim has always been a normal person, just a normal person who is very good at tennis. Yes, she’s a celebrity, but she’s not one of those people who is always in the magazines in Belgium or anywhere else. She has been good to her fans, and when she has spoken about her private life, about her life with Brian and Jada, she has always done it in a natural way.”

How was her second career different to her first?
“She was much more mature. She got the bigger picture. She understood what she had to do. She was also much better at organising her time – I suppose she had to be with Jada. The results were better in her second career than in her first. I think now, after her second career, there is great deal of satisfaction and fulfilment. There were questions at the end of her first career. Should she have done this? Should she have done that? Now there are no questions left.”

What are Kim’s future plans?
“She’s bought a tennis club five minutes down the road from her house in Bree in Belgium. It’s a building site at the moment. It’s going to be an inclusive club, with recreational players as well as performance players. The club is also going to be using Hawk-Eye as a training tool. Players will come from outside to use Hawk-Eye. It’s going to be a beautiful place. That’s going to take up a lot of her time. She will be spending a lot of time in Belgium. Jada goes to school now, and Brian’s coaching a Belgian basketball team. Their house in America is their holiday home.”

Is Jada playing some tennis?
“Jada started playing this summer. She’s done some little tests. She’s got good genes, with both parents professional athletes. But she’s not going to be pushed into tennis. Or into basketball.”

http://www.thetennisspace.com/opinio...cuddly-factor/

Thank You, Kim
Robert-KimClijst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #109
country flag lleytonpimpim

lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice lleytonpimpim is just really nice

Kim will play double mixte with Bob Bryan (or mike) in Us Open !
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #110

Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future Robert-KimClijst has a brilliant future

For anyone who has Tennis Channel, Tennis Channel is doing a special for Kim. All next week they will be showing big matches from Kim's career at 8 AM EST. Monday's match is Kim vs. Pierce. It's "Kim Clijsters Week.". Nice of them to do that for Kim...

Thank You, Kim

Last edited by Robert-KimClijst : Aug 20th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #111

Q. This is the obvious? What are your emotions entering this Open, being your last Open?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I'm excited. I'm obviously very excited to be back here after not being able to participate last year due to an injury in my stomach muscle. I'm really excited to be here. You know, obviously this place is magical for me. I have had so many beautiful memories. I have enjoyed coming here from when I was a junior. You know, I love the surface, I love the atmosphere, and I'm excited. I'm not really thinking about retiring yet, you know. I'm still focusing on trying to, you know, be in the best shape that I can be. You know, when I start Monday I want to be playing well. I'm focusing on that for now.

Q. You have a very difficult first quarter. Can you talk about how you're preparing for the upcoming matches?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Just like every other slam: just take it one match at a time and go from there. Like I said before, I just try to be, you know, as ready as I can be. I'm not looking too far ahead. I have an opponent first round up, a girl who I obviously don't know and have never played against. They can be tricky as well. I'm focused on just trying to play my best on Monday.

Q. What does it mean to you when you hear the respect and admiration of your peers as you prepare to retire?

KIM CLIJSTERS: You know, I have always enjoyed being around the other players and having a good relationship with them. There is a lot of girls I have stayed in touch with over the years even when I retired in the past and had Jada and got married. Tennis has been such a big, an important part of my life. The social side of it, as well, has been important. You know, it's great to be a part of these girls. But the respect and the admiration is not something that I think about when I'm amongst the other players. You know, I just try to be myself and be a good friend.

Q. What is it about the Open and New York City that makes it tougher and different than other matches?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I think the surface is more grinding. It's I think maybe a little more harder on the body, as well. Maybe not so much for me this year, but I think over the last few years it's definitely ‑‑ it's the last Grand Slam of the year. A lot of players have been playing for a long time, had a tough season, tough summer this summer as well with the Olympics being added in between the French and Wimbledon. You know, physically I think and mentally as well it's a tough one to deal with at the end of the season.

Q. You have entered three events, correct?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes.

Q. Which is a lot for someone who has had injuries and hasn't played a lot this year. Is the intention really to really win the singles, or more to have a nice going out and...

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, of course it's to try and win. My mindset is not any different. You know, I haven't played many matches or many tournaments. I really believe that physically I can do it. I have trained very hard for the last year to try and stay in good shape. I feel that I'm probably in maybe the best shape that I have been in. I'm not worried that, you know, that I'm physically not ready for it.

Q. You played very few tournaments. How do you think this makes it more challenging? Do you feel any sort of lack of match play?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I remember 2009 I didn't have many matches, so I don't worry about that.

Q. Golf has always had a senior tournament that has popularity.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Are you sending me on the senior tour already?

Q. Tennis has a senior tour. Is that something you would want?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I haven't really thought about the senior tour just yet. I have no idea. I think obviously for women, you know, when we retire, I think families, you know, become obviously a big part of our lives. A lot of the players go on and have kids. I think for women it's maybe a little bit hard. I think on the men's side we have a pretty big senior tour. We have the guys playing all over the world playing in big arenas and playing some big stadiums. I think for women it's a little bit hard to get back.

Q. World Team Tennis, is it something you would consider?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I have enjoyed playing World Team Tennis, I have played it, but seriously I haven't really thought about where my tennis life follows when I'm retired.

Q. Have you ever played three events at a slam? When was the last time you did it?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes, I have. I used to play too much. I don't know exactly. I mean, I remember playing singles, doubles. I think the year when I played finals mixed with Lleyton, I think I also played doubles and singles.

Q. But before you came back, not since you came back.

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, no.

Q. You say you're feeling in great shape at the moment. What makes you think now is the right time to call it a day?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Here. (Pointing to her heart.) You feel it when it's right.

Q. Level‑wise, when you look at Serena, you guys played a great match back here 1999 when you were a kid and she was 18. If you hadn't decided to have a family and stop now, level‑wise do you think you could play close to her level and be a top 5 player for the next couple of years?

KIM CLIJSTERS: A lot of it depends also injury, physically‑wise. If I didn't have that break, I don't know how physically what kind of shape I would have been in. And especially mentally as well. You know, it was very tough mentally I think to stay on top of the game for so long for me. So for me it was good to be away and to come back fresh, just kind of refreshed. It's hard to compare or to think what if I didn't retire or, you know, Serena is playing incredibly well. She, again, has switched something on. You know, it's great to see that she's doing so well physically after all the problems that she's had. She's fitter probably than ever, and that's great to see, you know, that somebody who has had so many great victories and gone through so much is still focused on trying to win and winning.

Q. Can you assess the state of the women's game now relative to when you entered the women's game?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, it's hard to explain, because when I came on tour when I was 15 or 16, to me it was like, you know, I saw Steffi, Monica, you know, and I was in full admiration of all those big names. I think now it's a different story. You know, I do my thing and I'm here to play tennis and that's it. Then I go home to the hotel; whereas when I was younger, you like to see what it's like to be in the same locker room as those big names. So I think when I started on tour, you don't really ‑‑ you have to first soak it all in before you kind of feel comfortable or easy at the position that you're in. As I got older, you know, you learn more about yourself and you learn more about other players. I think I have gone through a few different generations. I feel very lucky that I have been able to be a part of a big generation where Venus and Serena kind of raised women's tennis to a completely different level. So it's been an absolute honor to be a part of that.

Q. You mentioned Serena and then some of the other greats who were around when you started your career. Where do you rate Serena in terms of her talent and her accomplishments?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, to me Serena is the best ever just because I think physically she just stands out. When she's in good shape I think she just stands out tremendously. I mean, you know, she's fast, she's strong, she has a very good eye, as well. I think the combination of that is ‑‑ I mean, what we have seen over the last few months is the best player ever.

Q. What has she shown you by her ability to come back from life‑threatening illness to where she is today?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, every day there is people that inspire me just by whether it's, you know, seeing a mother on TV or seeing ‑‑ reading a story in the paper. Serena's is one of those, as well, what she's been through. Not just with, you know, the health problems, but dealing with the loss of their sister and all those kinds of things. It's not just one thing. We sit here and do our press conferences, but we have a personal life, too. That's something that's maybe not always ‑‑ you know, on the court everything always looks great and perfect, but it's not always that way. I think it's great to have, you know, big names like that and open up about it and be role models, as well.

Q. When you think about Venus and what she's been through, she's had injuries and the latest illness, why do you think she can continue to play?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. I mean, like I said, tennis, you know, has been for so long the only part of our lives almost. Okay, we traveled with our family and so did they. We have been playing since we were four or five years old. In a way we almost don't know any differently. You know, I think in my case it's easy. You know, when I retire I go home and I have my family. But, you know, it's something that's probably ahead for all the girls that are going to retire at some point in their career. It's a feeling that you need to have in the inside if you still want to keep going and you want to have more of those adrenaline rushes. Everybody is individual. You know, I just know for me the time is right.

Q. Can you talk about just how you mentioned that Serena and how Serena lies amongst the greats, but what is your opinion on some of the off the court things that come along with her career, you know, that happened in the media, like the Crip walk, some of her comments sometimes in press conferences...

KIM CLIJSTERS: I really don't think that's up for me to comment on. It's what happened in the past is in the past. There is absolutely no ‑‑ I don't really feel like I have to comment on that.

Q. The way you have gone about your retirement is a little different than other players. You let it be known this is going to be your last tournament for a while where some players like Demetieva kind of surprised with an on‑court ceremony after her last match. What are the advantages and disadvantages for you being so open about this timetable?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, it's me. I can't, you know, sit here knowing that, you know ‑‑ or for the last year sitting in the press conference and you guys asking me questions about, you know, do you want to have a second kid and when do you want to retire and am I lying or trying to find a way around not telling you guys. It's just the easiest way for me to just say it, and, yeah, let it be that way. That was the easiest way.

Q. What was the most enjoyable stretch, time period of your career: when you were younger pretty much playing every day and winning or the comeback later, middle of it?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Every stage has a different meaning because there is a personal side to it attached, as well. I mean, the first few years when you came on tour it's like everything is like amazing. It's like going to Disneyland as a five year old. Like I said, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, I got to play Steffi. You have more of those "wow" moments when you're younger, but then it actually, when you start to get to know yourself better and your game and other players and the life that you live on the road, when that all becomes easier, that is also a very comfortable feeling to have. It gives you, yeah, it gives you a lot of satisfaction. I guess, more than when you're younger it's kind of all in your head. There are so many things going on. You're kind of all over the place a little bit in the beginning. Like I said before, you know, you have to first soak that all in and then give everything kind of a spot in that lifestyle trying to find what suits you right.

Q. If you become the US Open champion, could it maybe change your mind about retiring and coming back next year and defending?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No. (Smiling) No.

Q. You are, I believe, the only woman on tour with children. There are a few fathers on tour. Could you tell me about balancing it all, being a mom and the schedule?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I was in the locker room with a physio the other day and there were two other moms laying on the massage chairs. We were laughing because we were saying how we needed it the most. Girls that are 16 were walking in there, and we were like, No, get away. We need this. No, but I mean, it's a balance for everybody. You know, there is obviously a detail for us I think for me especially in my mind figuring out the right balance between ‑‑ you know, especially when I'm on the road, spending time, you know, with Jada and, you know, with my family. I think that's something that has been ‑‑ especially in the beginning it was hard trying to find, you know, enough time to be satisfied with the time that I'm putting into my career as a tennis player, but then also putting in the time to be satisfied as a mother and as a wife. And it's communication. It has been very important with my husband and with our nanny, as well. I think without them I wouldn't have been able to do all this. So communication has been very important.

Q. Are you in communication with Justine Henin?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Sometimes, yeah. She will send text messages once in a while.

Q. Also, as you're retiring, can you still play doubles? Can you keep playing doubles? Can you retire as single and keep playing doubles?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I don't think so. (Smiling.)

Thank You, Kim
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #112

Q. What does Kim Clijsters mean to you personally and to the tour?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: To me personally she's been a great, you know, inspiration definitely. I never met Kim before she came back. You know, I was still playing in the juniors so I never had a chance to play against her. Once she came back, I drawed her right away in one of her first tournaments, which was kind of fun to play against. You know, what she done after just a few tournaments, to come back and win such a major title was definitely very inspiring and amazing accomplishment. For the tour she's been a great role model; for the kids she's one of the people who you always like to be around, you know, to practice. She's great in the lockers, you know, and great for the fans. They know obviously a lot of people love her. She's definitely going to be one everybody is going to miss. But, you know, I just wish her the best in her life. We'll definitely see the best of Kim here.

Q. Kim Clijsters said in here earlier, she was asked about you, and she said to you were the best player, especially if you're fit and strong. What is your reaction to that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I never think about that. I can't sit here and say I'm the best ever. I'm not. I'm not worthy of that title. I'm just Serena. I love playing tennis and I'm good at it. Just because I'm good at it doesn't make me the best.

I think Kim, you know, she's had such a fabulous career, especially here at the Open. She just brings some special tennis. She's always so bright and has such a positiveness about her that you can't help but wish her the best.

Q. What has Kim Clijsters mean to the tour, and what are your thoughts about her ending her career at this time?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Well, I mean, I think it's going to be a loss for the tour, and she's obviously been a great player and a great champion and great role model to a lot of people, you know, out here on tour and probably, you know, all the kids playing at home.
So, you know, she's one of those players that people like to watch and come out and see. I guess for her she's decided it's time. You know, I can imagine this is the perfect place for her to stop given the success she's had here in the past.
Yeah, it will be disappointing to see her go. Obviously she's decided it's time to go, and that's good for her.

Q. What does she mean to her fellow players?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Well, like I said, I think we very much respect her for the tennis, but also the person that she is. She's very gracious and always been, you know, a very good competitor but always fair. They are the kinds of players you don't want to see go.
Again, it's her time, and what a great career she's had. She's still so young and she's accomplished so much.

Q. Kim Clijsters was in here a moment ago. Can you tell us what she meant to the tour?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, well, I mean, what's there to say about Kim? There's so many great things besides the fact she's been an incredible tennis player and champion and someone that went away from the sport to commit herself to being a mother and a good wife and then coming back and being a professional and winning a few more Grand Slams. You know, she was always so focused and determined, one of the best athletes I think the game saw in women's tennis. The way she moved around the court. Also just a really great person, very humble. At the end of the day, just a down‑to‑earth person that, you know, I think reflected on life in a very good way. Always wanted to be a good mother and family was important to her and had really good values, so I really respect that in her.

Q. Is she one of the most all‑around popular players on the tour?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Definitely. Absolutely.

Q. You were speaking before about Kim. What does Kim mean to the tour and what does she mean to you personally?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Kim has, you know, had a resurgence like no other coming back winning two majors. I'm sure if she hadn't had injuries she would have been able to do more and even live more of a dream at the Olympics when you bring home a medal. I think she's inspiration for everyone who has said, If you put your mind to it you have a dream you can do whatever you want and do all the things that you want. So I think she's done that. I think for me that just is motivation for me.

Q. As you know, Kim Clijsters has spoken at Wimbledon eloquently about the pressures you've faced. When you think of Kim and consider the fact that she says this is her last major, what do you think Kim's legacy is?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, it depends. As a person, which is often ‑‑ it is much more important than the tennis. I mean, she's a lovely person. I don't know her incredibly well, but every time I have seen her or been around her she's been a lot of fun. She's very polite, you know. She obviously loves her kids and her family. Then as a player, I mean, great competitor, you know, I think she obviously had early in her career a lot of tough losses. She was competing against Henin a lot, and a lot of pressure came with that. She lost a lot of tough matches to Henin. Then she managed to turn that around after doing what she did taking a break from the game. To come back to win a slam or couple of slams is pretty incredible to do what she's done. I'm sure she will be remembered as one of the best players that played over the last 15, 20 years, and also one of the best people.

Thank You, Kim

Last edited by Robert-KimClijst : Aug 25th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #113

Clijsters aims to make one more memory
By Douglas Robson, Special for USA TODAY

NEW YORK – For Kim Clijsters, the U.S. Open is scattered with positive vibes.

"It's very hard to pick," Clijsters, 29, said recently when asked about her best moments in New York.

Understandably.

She won her maiden Grand Slam title here in 2005. Four years later, she captured a second championship after a 2½-year layoff to get married and have a child, becoming the first mother since Evonne Goolagong Cawley to hoist a Grand Slam trophy. She then backed it up in 2010 with a third New York crown.

Along the way, she's battled and beaten most of her main rivals, from Venus and Serena Williams to Maria Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport. She hasn't tasted defeat since a loss in the final to fellow Belgian Justine Henin in 2003.

"I have a lot of memories," Clijsters says.

Does she have space for one more in the final tournament of her career?

The daughter of a national soccer star from the quiet Flemish-speaking town of Bree, Clijsters has always clicked in the USA. Seventeen, or 40%, of her 41 career titles have come on North American soil. She married an American, basketball player Brian Lynch. She spends several weeks a year in Lynch's native New Jersey.

The knock on Clijsters, a former No. 1 in singles and doubles, before her retirement was that her fundamental congeniality worked against her on the tennis court. Unlike countrywoman Henin — who won with icy efficiency — she lacked killer instinct. Four career Slams later that notion is bunk, even if the preternaturally sunny Clijsters remains popular in the locker room.

"She's a special person," Serena Williams says. "And she's a good person. It's hard to come across people like her."

A sturdy 5-8½, Clijsters is strong and swift. Young players still marvel at her athleticism.

"She can still do the splits and everything," says 20-year-old American Melanie Oudin. "I can't even do that, and I haven't had a baby! It's pretty impressive."

Indeed, in some ways Clijsters 2.0 surpassed her first career. Since returning, she's won three majors, regained the top ranking and became the international poster child for working mothers.

She also learned to better integrate wins and losses with her overall experience.

"The great thing about getting older I guess is that you're able to connect things more to how you feel personally," she said. "It's not just a great match. There's a lot of personal things attached to it as well."

Like in 2009, when her then-18-month-old daughter, Jada, adoringly pointed at herself on Arthur Ashe Stadium's Jumbotron during the trophy ceremony.

Or when she hears Barry White.

Yes, that Barry White, the soulful, romantic crooner with the deep bass voice.

As Clijsters tells it, she was nervously riding in a van on her way to the biggest match of her comeback three years ago — a semifinal clash with Serena Williams at the U.S. Open.
In those situations, she often would call her father, Leo. But Leo had died from cancer in 2009 at age 52. Then a Barry White tune came on. It happened to be one of the songs her father had picked for his cremation.

"It was like a very special moment, like — phew," she recalled. "It relaxed me."

She went on to beat Serena and win the championship.

As she closes her career, Clijsters understands the comparisons to seven-time major winner Henin, who also retired and came back before quitting for good in January 2011.

"It was pretty incredible to have two Belgians from each side, one from north, one from south, both doing well," Clijsters said.

Clijsters, who was never close to French-speaking Henin, says she feels more linked with the Williams sisters, though Henin beat her in all three of their Grand Slam finals.

"They made us work harder and go to the gym, try to be stronger and be more accurate, return better, serve better," she said.

Despite more than two years away from the game, the injury problems that partially drove her out of the sport have not abated. She has missed four of 12 majors since coming back.
In 2012, she suffered hip, ankle and abdominal injuries, missing Roland Garros and entering just six events. Two were on her must-do list — Wimbledon and the Olympics — but she failed to advance past the quarterfinals.

In fact, she's failed to reach a final this year and hasn't won a title since the 2011 Australian Open 19 months ago.

Clijsters says she is the tennis player she's always wanted to be and remains motivated.

"Just physically at some point your body is not really up to putting in the time and the physical work," she said.

But the player who stormed to the 2009 U.S. Open trophy in only her third tournament back does not carry lowered expectations into her swan song event. In fact, she is playing doubles and mixed doubles besides singles.

"I believe that if I play my best tennis I'm capable of beating some of the good players," said Clijsters, citing her three-set semifinal defeat to eventual Australian Open winner and No. 1 Victoria Azarenka. "It's a matter of details here and there. It doesn't mean I'm doubting myself or don't believe I can't do it anymore if I'm not making finals all the time. Not at all."
Post-retirement, Clijsters hopes to expand her family, perhaps one day through adoption, and help run a tennis academy in Belgium.

"I'm just going to get the routine life back at home," she said.

There is relief, too, that she can abandon the compartmentalized life she's had to lead as mother and professional.

"What I won't miss now is cutting myself into different pieces," she said. "I had to choose. Do I want to get better in tennis, or take time with Jada and the family?"

As the No. 23 seed, Clijsters faces a tough road.

But after missing last year's U.S. Open due to an abdominal injury, she heads into the last event of her career with a 21-match streak at Flushing Meadows.

As she looks ahead at the women's game, Clijsters said she's been surprised that none of the under-23 stars such as 2012 Australian Open winner Azarenka, 2011 Wimbledon titlist Petra Kvitova and two-time year-end No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki have stepped up and taken control of the sport.

She also has the feeling that the level has slipped in the past few years.

"I think the generation that I was a part of or that Venus and Serena created, was high-end tennis," she said. "Physically we were all strong, we moved well and defended well. We were able to draw strength out of each other. … I think the younger generation is a generation of less risk taking — more consistent but not as impressive to watch as with Serena or Justine."

Clijsters insists she put everything into her career and comeback and has no regrets or intention to return.

"I think for me the most important thing is I've always followed my heart," Clijsters says. "I've always done what I felt was right. I've always stayed true to who I am."

If Barry White floats over the airwaves, it might be one more memory in the making.

Thank You, Kim
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #114
country flag kitb
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold kitb is a splendid one to behold

Just a quick post to let you guys know that this year's 'Diamond Games' will actually be called...

Details are yet to be be revealed but we already know there's going to be:
- a singles match (Kim vs ???)
- some show (music, speeches, etc.)
- a mixed doubles match (Kim-??? vs ???-???)

Tickets officially go on sale tomorrow (Monday) but you can already book them here.

kitb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #115
country flag BeyRena

BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute BeyRena has a reputation beyond repute

Kim Clijsters special guest at BGL BNP Paribas Luxembourg Open

Jeudi, le 18 octobre 2012 au CK Sportcenter à Kockelscheuer

Meet&Greet avec Kim Clijsters!

Programme:
16.00 heures
Tennisclinic avec les ramasseurs de balles du tournoi
Cérémonie d’adieu pour Kim Clijsters

17.00 Uhr
Meet&Greet au BGL BNP Paribas Village
Prix d’entrée pour les rencontres du deuxième tour Meet&Greet avec Kim Clijsters inclus: Adultes 23 Euro / Adolescents 17 Euro
BeyRena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #116

Whoa, actual Kim news!!! According to this article, Kim is considering semi-coaching Flipkens next year.

The article has a video of Kim hitting with her and a couple photos. Exciting if Kim would stay involved in the tennis world like that!

Thank You, Kim
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #117
country flag pedropt

pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute

I love Flipkens already, that would make me like her even more.

Loved the news
pedropt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #118
country flag Tully

Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold Tully is a splendid one to behold

It wouldn't surprise me.

Kirsten has had a very rough year being dropped by VTV. Hasn't she made that decision look stupid!

Kirsten spoke to Kim before & after every match she played in Quebec. Kim is in Luxembourg with Kirsten.

If it did happen Id think they'd just work together in Belgium and tournaments close to Belgium plus maybe couple US events (more likely east coast events as they could visit Jersey).

Kim and Kirsten are very close.

Anso & Ali - the rise begins ...

Lucie
Tully is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #119
country flag pedropt

pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute pedropt has a reputation beyond repute

pedropt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #120

Kim & Kirsten: A Little Help From My Friends
OCTOBER 17, 2012

LUXEMBOURG, Luxembourg - Not a lot of players have been able to stop her lately, and now that might be an even harder task given the secret weapon she just revealed - Kirsten Flipkens has Kim Clijsters in her corner now.

Well, Clijsters was always in her corner, in a way - but now that the former World No.1 doesn't have her own career to worry about, she will be coming to a few tournaments to help her good friend and fellow Belgian Flipkens.

"She's not my coach, but she knows how to help me and what I need before and after a match, and she's going to come to some tournaments with me," Flipkens said from Luxembourg. "Her family comes first, so we'll see where it's possible and where it's not, but I'm happy she'll be helping me wherever she can."

The two Belgians have known each other for a very, very long time.

"I've known her for 20 years - she has always been a little bit like my bigger sister, always taking care of me and trying to help me," Flipkens said. "We grew up in the same tennis school when we were younger. I was six or seven years old when I met her. Our moms are very good friends too, and I also grew up with her sister, Elke. It's amazing - I'm glad our friendship lasted this long.

"To everyone else she's Kim the tennis player, but to me she's Kim."

It has only been a few weeks since Flipkens had what she herself described as the best day of her life - winning her first WTA title at the indoor tournament in Québec City. It was the culmination of a lifetime of hard work and overcoming struggle after struggle, most recently an eight week lay-off in the spring of this year due to blood clots, as well as losing the support of her federation.

But the determined Belgian didn't give up on the dream, and in September the emotions all came out when she won in Québec. "It's everything at once. Where do I start?" she said after the final. "It's been a rough year for me. I was No.260 in June - I didn't even get into the qualies of Wimbledon - and now I have my first WTA title. You can only imagine how I'm feeling after all of this.

"This is the best day of my life."

And who was she speaking to on the phone after every match that week? None other than the one, the only Clijsters. "Kim has stuck with me through all of the rough times. She's like a big sister to me," Flipkens said then, too.

With her first round win over Sabine Lisicki in Luxembourg this week, Flipkens has now won 24 of her last 26 matches, combining WTA, WTA qualies and ITF results - and having gone into 's-Hertogenbosch in June ranked No.262, she is now ranked over 200 spots higher at a career-high No.58 in the world.

"It has been a good run in the second half of the year, but I don't know the reason for it," Flipkens said. "I've just been playing like before, and going on court just trying to do my best and enjoying my game. That's it."

And with a little help from her friends, she'll do more than just get by.

Thank You, Kim