Interesting Fact: 1st time in WTA history every player in top 8... - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #16
country flag Adi1987

Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future Adi1987 has a brilliant future
Re: Interesting Fact: 1st time in WTA history every player in top 8...

MS Paint
Adi1987 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #17
country flag AndreConrad

AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendestiny View Post
Belarus and Russia are practically the same.
^ A lot of people from Belarus would disagree with you ^
Bally, Rest In Peace!
AndreConrad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #18
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The way I understand it that's as true as saying Germany and Austria is the same... not at all.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #19
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The way I understand it that's as true as saying Germany and Austria is the same... not at all.
it's more like GDR(DDR) and FRG. For instance I'm 50% Russian, 50% Belorussian and live in Russia , consider myself Russian. There are millions of families who are both russian/belorussian. My cousins live in Minsk and are considered Belorussian.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Oct 9th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #20
country flag AndreConrad

AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute AndreConrad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
it's more like GDR(DDR) and FRG. For instance I'm 50% Russian, 50% Belorussian and live in Russia , consider myself Russian. There are millions of families who are both russian/belorussian. My cousins live in Minsk and are considered Belorussian.
That is normal order of things... There is a lot of Poles living in Germany and Germans in Poland, French in Germany and vice versa. Until WWII it was natural to walk on the street of any large city and expect people speak different languages and pay in multiple currencies. Those facts don't negate existence of distinct countries.
Bally, Rest In Peace!
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #21
country flag TeraByte

TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Then many people e.g. living in Poland should consider that Poland and Lithuania are still two parts of the same country, because there are many many families, like my close friend's, whose mother was born in Lithuania and still has cousins who live there - some of them think of themselves as of Lithuanian, some - as of Polish (the same for big part of Belarus and 1/3 of Ukraine). But people in Poland learned to not think in this way: way which should be considered imperialistic. Russians should learn the same.

Quote:
...There are millions of families who are both russian/belorussian. My cousins live in Minsk and are considered Belorussian.
Rather thousands of families. The whole population of Belarus is ca. 9,5 millions, of which ca 7,960 mio. are considered Belarussian, ca 785.000 Russian, ca 295.000 Polish, and ca 159.000 Ukrainian. Another ca. 1,7 mio. Belarussians live outside their country, out of which some 800.000 in Russia and 275.000 in Ukraine (all data from 2009).
TeraByte is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #22
country flag Marcoo

Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all Marcoo is a name known to all

Wow, cool
Marcoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #23
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreConrad View Post
That is normal order of things... There is a lot of Poles living in Germany and Germans in Poland, French in Germany and vice versa. Until WWII it was natural to walk on the street of any large city and expect people speak different languages and pay in multiple currencies. Those facts don't negate existence of distinct countries.
But Germans and Poles are completely different people. Belorussians and Russians are of the same Slavic group. As you can see, even Sharapova's ancestors are from Belarus.

Modern-day Belarus did not exist as a country until the fall of USSR. Before that, it was historically a part of either the USSR or the Russian Empire. Even today, Belorussians can go to Russia and enjoy the benefits of a Russian citizen (education, healthcare etc. )
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #24
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, but they're not ~technically~ part of the same country.

You wouldn't say Puerto Rico and the US are the same country just because one is a territory of the other/there are a lot of Puerto Ricans in the US. But I get what you're saying about many people from Belarus and Russia being from the same ancestry/etc.
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #25
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And so is Poland and Germany considering most German players are really form Poland.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #26
country flag AndreConrad

Quote:
But Germans and Poles are completely different people. Belorussians and Russians are of the same Slavic group. As you can see, even Sharapova's ancestors are from Belarus.

Modern-day Belarus did not exist as a country until the fall of USSR. Before that, it was historically a part of either the USSR or the Russian Empire. Even today, Belorussians can go to Russia and enjoy the benefits of a Russian citizen (education, healthcare etc. )
Belarus wasn't really part of Russian Empire; for centuries it was part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania. No need to evaluate history, because Belarus is its own country regardless of its problems. It is great if a lot of its citizens feel close to Russia or any other country, but there is no need to try to take away their own place from them.
Bally, Rest In Peace!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #27
country flag Sgt.Timmykinz

Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute Sgt.Timmykinz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
They aren't? At school we're taught that Germany and Austria are to be considered the same.
Sgt.Timmykinz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #28
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

Must be like the Canadian-American difference.
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #29
country flag TeraByte

TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold TeraByte is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreConrad View Post
Belarus wasn't really part of Russian Empire; for centuries it was part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
And it was REALLY IMPORTANT part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In fact, Grand Duchy's official language from 14th until the end of 17th century (1696) was not Lithuanian but Old Ruthenian (called also Chancery Slavonic) which was the closest to modern Belarussian language. Probably the first capital of Grand Duchy of Lithuania, established by Mindaugas ca. 1250, was situated in Navahrudak (small city in today's Belarus).

Actually at that time the Russian Empire didn't exist yet: it was Grand Duchy of Moscow.

Last edited by TeraByte : Oct 10th, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #30
country flag TeraByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Timmykinz View Post
They aren't? At school we're taught that Germany and Austria are to be considered the same.
Oh, really? You must be joking. Would you support another annexation of Austria into Germany???
Jimmie48 has a good point but not totally: actually Belarus and Russia (Rus') in their early history WERE TOTALLY SEPARATED which was not the case of Austria and Germany.