Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012 (1 match and a withdrawal) - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #16
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Some fleeting thoughts:

As I watch Sharapova get her butt kicked again (Sharapova loses 6-3 6-1, with horrible stats from both players), it really makes me laugh that Petra has lost three in a row to her.

And before Petronius can tell us how great Sharpie's been this year--compared to last year (though she can't beat seem to beat Vika, Serena and sometimes Aga and Kerber), the Australian Open wasn't like that. Not at all.

Sharapova was very fortunate she won that match. Even Sharapova fans said "Petra deserved" or "should of won that match". Kvitova only converted about 3 of 14 BP's (if I remember correctly), in a three set match, where she just seemed to give up at the end, following many close calls and numerous near break situations.

Yes, Petra was more comprehensively beaten at the French Open. No arguments there. But her lack of experience and preparation clearly showed in that Sharapova match at the Australian Open.

Shame! Cause Masha has so many exposable flaws in her game (for a top ranked player to exploit).

There's a reason why Masha couldn't win a final for such a long time (pressure), and why she seems to get her butt handed to her time and time again in these big matches (lack of skill level/ability to the competition). Petra tapped into those during Wimby (not including the surface--grass-- of course), and almost did at the Australian. But ever since Stuttgart, it's been down hill.

Hopefully there's a chance in 2013, or even the YEC, for Petra to start to reverse this recent almost-trend. When top players play well--or well on faster surfaces vs Masha, they make her look like a mug.
Excelscior is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #17
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Ex,it's time for you to come out of the closet and admit what intense affection you have for Big Masha...how you dream of being her personal hot-tub masseur.

All joking aside,though,she doesn't need the money that much so I think it's some sign of respect that she agreed to face Petra in that exhibition right in the CR.I can't imagine her going to Serbia to play one of the mental cases...or the UK to play one of the young whippersnappers(not unless there were a huge,international,promotional push).In a way,it's an acknowledgment that Petra is a very legit rival...one capable of supplanting her,really....and one of the crown jewels of the WTA's future

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Opening Soon: The Allaster-Stubbs-Amanmuradova Academy of Feminine Grace and Charm
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #18
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
Petra's level is nowhere near 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
How can you say Petra's level dropped off slightly, when she played some lights out tennis last year? We just didn't see that this year.

You definitely overestimate Petra's 2011. It's not like she was a 3-slam champion last year, consistently making semis or finals at all tournaments and ending the season with over 10,000 ranking points and three wins over a healthy Serena.

The fact is that in 2011, Petra reached the semifinals at just one of the 4 slams and had very poor results at many other tournaments (IW, Miami, Nassau, Dubai, Beijing etc.). You also forget that she won Wimbledon without beating Serena, who had straight-setted her in 2010 and then showed her who's the boss again in 2012. BTW, Serena, coming from a serious injury, was beaten by Bartoli, who had been too strong for Petra in the Eastbourne final a week ago.

In addition, Petra was actually one of the weakest Players of the Year in recent years, winning just one slam and ending the year with less than 7,500 points, with her ranking significantly inflated by her season-ending 1,500 points from her YEC win in the absence of Serena and healthy Sharapova.

In fact, she needed three sets in both YEC semi and finals and her coach had to help her on court when she had blown or almost blown 5-0 leads in both matches.

This year, she has improved her year-on-year results at 3 out of 4 slams and has improved big her US summer hardcourt record so saying that her level has dropped huge is simply not true.

Both in 2011 and 2012, Petra was far from being a dominant WTA player or a multi-slam champion and therefore there's a lot to look forward to as this talented young player works on her game and gets better.

Last edited by Petronius : Oct 7th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #19
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post

You definitely overestimate Petra's 2011. It's not like she was a 3-slam champion last year, consistently making semis or finals at all tournaments and ending the season with over 10,000 ranking points and three wins over a healthy Serena.

The fact is that in 2011, Petra reached the semifinals at just one of the 4 slams and had very poor results at many other tournaments (IW, Miami, Nassau, Dubai, Beijing etc.). You also forget that she won Wimbledon without beating Serena, who had straight-setted her in 2010 and then showed her who's the boss again in 2012. BTW, Serena, coming from a serious injury, was beaten by Bartoli, who had been too strong for Petra in the Eastbourne final a week ago.

In addition, Petra was actually one of the weakest Players of the Year in recent years, winning just one slam and ending the year with less than 7,500 points, with her ranking significantly inflated by her season-ending 1,500 points from her YEC win in the absence of Serena and healthy Sharapova.

In fact, she needed three sets in both YEC semi and finals and her coach had to help her on court when she had blown or almost blown 5-0 leads in both matches.

This year, she has improved her year-on-year results at 3 out of 4 slams and has improved big her US summer hardcourt record so saying that her level has dropped huge is simply not true.

Both in 2011 and 2012, Petra was far from being a dominant WTA player or a multi-slam champion and therefore there's a lot to look forward to as this talented young player works on her game and gets better.
I think you are confused/don't understand, while it's so clear (and I've mentioned this before).

Essentially Petra traded better tournament to tournament consistency THIS YEAR (though she can still be much better at it) in 2012, compared to less consistency and better top end play in 2011. That's what happened.

At no time during 2012 did Petra play better than she did at (especially when it counted) at Wimbledon, Madrid, Fed Cup and the YEC. Ditto with her Clijsters match in Paris (and other matches like that). Notice, I'm NOT talking talking about Petra's results per se. I'm speaking about her actual level of play.

I'll take Petra's year last year, over THIS years "better consistency" any time (comparing the years, though it wouldn't be an improvement on consistency).

I noticed many knowledgeable non Petra fans (or at least not clearly as such) here on TF mention the same thing. It's been pretty clear, so I thought it would have been self explanatory.

And I don't see how an analysis, mini rant regarding Sharapova (eventually relating to Petra), turned into re-summation of Petra's year. Lol.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #20
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Can somebody translate what is Petra talking about in the video she posted on facebook, please!
Petra visited a mini fashion show of her sponsor Steilmann in Prague … She will train more often with male hitting partners … „they return more balls“ ..., about training : service, return and net play ... she will be staying at Intercontinental during Fed cup … "Martic served very well and was very aggressive" … About Suarez Navaro match : "I had diarrhea in the morning and after the match I vomited."

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis/...jako-loni.html
http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/vol...kvitova-10985/
http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_...ezony--1121103

Last edited by paulmara : Oct 10th, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
paulmara is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #21
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
Petra visited a mini fashion show of her sponsor Steilmann in Prague … She will train more often with men hitting partners … „they return more balls“ ..., about training : service, return and net play ... she will be staying at Intercontinental during Fed cup … "Martic served very well and was very aggressive" … About Suarez Navaro match : "I had diarrhea in the morning and after the match I vomited."

Duh!?

Did it take Petra and her team that long to figure that out? This is what I mean: Keystone Cops/The Gang that can't shoot straight. You're kidding me?

Even if Petra says, "it's for the YEC, you know better players are there". OK. But eventually, even in a regular tournament, you're going to face a Serena, Vika (not that she's played her) or Sharapova--if everyone keeps winning.

That's who you need to practice your serve, returns, ground strokes and volleys for. Can't she pay some smuck $40,000 a year to travel with her (or that's a "No No" with Adam)? Of course you can use them per hire, but you don't get the same consistency in every particular area, depending on what you're working on. But it's still better than no one or trying to scrap up Li Na.

I think this has been one of her problems this year (regarding errors, foot work, lack of consistency and execution, ROS problems), facing Sharapova and Serena, and even some scrubs early. There's no regular male hitting partner.

It doesn't mean that you're going to always beat those players (of course there can be other co-mitigating factors). But at least you get used to the pace and serve, by playing against someone that hit's just as hard, if not harder than they do, as you try to implement your game plan, tactics and new touches/improvements to your game. Obviously with the scrubs in the early around, its' just the consistency (or even practicing an area they excel in, that could give Petra particular trouble) where it can help.

And the less said about that Martic match (she of the horrendous record since May), the better. Please stop Petra.

I gather by her practice comments, she's FOCUSING on her serve, return and volleys (cause of course, I would hope she would always practice those things). Hopefully, she'll hit with more topspin, deep, corner to corner with more angles, like she did last year during her rally's, before the volley or ground stroke winner. "Ahhh Petra (hands in the air)". SMH.

We'll see?
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #22
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Playing with guys is completely different than when you hit with girls – more topspin, deeper more powerful shots and ESPECIALLY more of the topspin-looper type shots that force you to hit w/open stance. Lots of girls hit flatter and tend to put the ball more in the "strike zone" so to speak (somewhere between base/service line) and it's harder to practice hitting off balance, off your wrong foot, etc. etc. – so I really hope she can have a consistent hitting partner.

Serena has a guy hitting partner right? Which has probably helped Serena greatly w/control, power, and reaction time as well since a lot of guys have longer reach/better athleticism.

Playing with guys always scares me I'm just like WHAT? HOW TOPSPIN??

Guys' overheads/serves are always really powerful as well. So I can't lob them at the net and if I do by accident I just back up and try not to get hit.
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #23
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Duh!?

Did it take Petra and her team that long to figure that out? This is what I mean: Keystone Cops/The Gang that can't shoot straight. You're kidding me?

Even if Petra says, "it's for the YEC, you know better players are there". OK. But eventually, even in a regular tournament, you're going to face a Serena, Vika (not that she's played her) or Sharapova--if everyone keeps winning.

That's who you need to practice your serve, returns, ground strokes and volleys for. Can't she pay some smuck $40,000 a year to travel with her (or that's a "No No" with Adam)? Of course you can use them per hire, but you don't get the same consistency in every particular area, depending on what you're working on. But it's still better than no one or trying to scrap up Li Na.

I think this has been one of her problems this year (regarding errors, foot work, lack of consistency and execution, ROS problems), facing Sharapova and Serena, and even some scrubs early. There's no regular male hitting partner.

It doesn't mean that you're going to always beat those players (of course there can be other co-mitigating factors). But at least you get used to the pace and serve, by playinhg against someone that hit's just as hard, if not harder than they do, as you try to implement your game plan, tactics and new touches/improvements to your game. Obviously with the scrubs in the early around, its' just the consistency (or even practicing an area they excel in, that could give Petra particular trouble) where it can help.

And the less said about that Martic match (she of the horrendous record since May), the better. Please stop Petra.

I gather by her practice comments, she's FOCUSING on her serve, return and volleys (cause of course, I would hope she would always practice those things). Hopefully, she'll hit with more topspin, deep, corner to corner with more angles, like she did last year during her rally's, before the volley or ground stroke winner. "Ahhh Petra (hands in the air)". SMH.

We'll see?
You meant Kotyza! This is dumb he is the coach he should know better about the adventages of a male hitting partners since long time ago!
steni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #24
country flag steni

steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of steni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Petra visited a mini fashion show of her sponsor Steilmann in Prague … She will train more often with men hitting partners … „they return more balls“ ..., about training : service, return and net play ... she will be staying at Intercontinental during Fed cup … "Martic served very well and was very aggressive" … About Suarez Navaro match : "I had diarrhea in the morning and after the match I vomited."

Thank you Paulmara, you the best
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #25
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

Part of me thinks Petra has had a really crappy year with her body and health, and she'll come roaring back 2013.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #26
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

She was that explicit?

OMG!!!
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #27

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
You meant Kotyza! This is dumb he is the coach he should know better about the adventages of a male hitting partners since long time ago!
She didn't have a male hitting partner at Eastbourne or the Olympics

Her hitting partner was David Kotzya.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
Part of me thinks Petra has had a really crappy year with her body and health, and she'll come roaring back 2013.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #29
country flag netphobia

netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold netphobia is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post
She was that explicit?

OMG!!!

petra the oversharer
netphobia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #30
country flag steni

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post
She didn't have a male hitting partner at Eastbourne or the Olympics

Her hitting partner was David Kotzya.
Well Kotyza is a male but not a good hitting partner I'm guessing, probably not a good cook either (his food gave Petra diarrhea )