Says Azarenka, Serena is the greatest player of all time - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #106
country flag lbristol

lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all lbristol is a name known to all
Re: Says Azarenka, Serena is the greatest player of all time

Did anyone noticed how hard it was for Serena to win WIMBLEDON 2012???
She had to contend with a extremely high caliber competition, espeically Jie Zheng in the Third and Yedova in the fourth. I encourage everyone to rewatch those matches on youtube. It's like all those players rise to the occasion against williams. It's a wonder she is still winning slams in an era where most female players go all out for the win and play very well and hit the ball hard and accurately and play cleverly too. There is no way either graf or I dont know who else could have the winning percentage or head to head stat williams has against the tour. The level is just too high right now. All credit to williams for being de facto number 1 at any even she enters, an incredible achievement she managed this year too against very hard competition.
lbristol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #107
country flag cehowardrx7
73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbristol View Post
Did anyone noticed how hard it was for Serena to win WIMBLEDON 2012???
She had to contend with a extremely high caliber competition, espeically Jie Zheng in the Third and Yedova in the fourth. I encourage everyone to rewatch those matches on youtube. It's like all those players rise to the occasion against williams. It's a wonder she is still winning slams in an era where most female players go all out for the win and play very well and hit the ball hard and accurately and play cleverly too. There is no way either graf or I dont know who else could have the winning percentage or head to head stat williams has against the tour. The level is just too high right now. All credit to williams for being de facto number 1 at any even she enters, an incredible achievement she managed this year too against very hard competition.

You just put a BULLSEYE on your back for the Graf-Tards!!

73,old, fast, and dirty..My daily warm up: http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv / http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI
Coming down from 3 miles up.. http://www.cehoward.net/188.jpg
My daily commuter motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/pretty4.JPG
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #108
country flag cehowardrx7
73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Seles played until 2003. Serena won her first Slam in 1999 and had her most dominant period in 2002/03 - useing your logic Serena's record could be considered tainted as well.
Consider it done!!

Hey All Ye Fans, Listen Up!!

Serena's Slam Record Is Tainted!!

73,old, fast, and dirty..My daily warm up: http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv / http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI
Coming down from 3 miles up.. http://www.cehoward.net/188.jpg
My daily commuter motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/pretty4.JPG
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #109
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post

She isn't, by any single mean, and I don't care who says it.

but i agree
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #110
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Since there isn't a clear definition or calculation for the "Greatest"- it's all opinions. It would be interesting if it were only Serena fans proclaiming her as the greatest, but as it's already been documented many well respected people in the sport have echoed that sentiment. Serena has time to keep making her case so we shall see... IMO- she's not quite there yet, but respectable arguments can definitely be made.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #111
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
Since there isn't a clear definition or calculation for the "Greatest"- it's all opinions. It would be interesting if it were only Serena fans proclaiming her as the greatest, but as it's already been documented many well respected people in the sport have echoed that sentiment. Serena has time to keep making her case so we shall see... IMO- she's not quite there yet, but respectable arguments can definitely be made.
Which respectable arguments though? Is there a single record she is remotedly close to, since if there is, I am not aware of it. "at her best" isnt really a valid enough argument.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #112
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Source for the Azarenka quote?
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #113
country flag producer88

producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold producer88 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
YouTube her interview after her lost at the US Open, she told the press, she thinks of Serena as the best ever.

Kim also mentioned the same thing in her US Open press conference.
producer88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #114
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
An interview with: VICTORIA AZARENKA

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Q. I want to ask you, going back to something you said a few answers ago where you thanked Serena for the way she pushes you and makes you strive to play better. You said something to that effect during the awards ceremony out on the court. If you could elaborate on that. You've played 11 times and she's beaten you 10 times. Do you really feel grateful for having her in the game in your era and that she does bring that out in you, your best?

VICTORIA AZARENKA: Well, hell, yeah; but in the other way, if she wasn't there, I mean, I probably would have won more titles. (Laughter.)

Q. That's my question, because some people would resent the other player.

VICTORIA AZARENKA: Yeah, but I will not take anything back. I think she's brought ‑‑ for me she's the greatest player of all time. She took the game to the next level. As I said before, she makes me all the time to make sure that I'm taking my game, my personality, my physical aspect to the next level. So, you know, having few of the players like that in the women's tour right now is something priceless, you know, something that you cannot take away. It's the people who, you know, like Maria, like Petra those kind of girls, they always push me to be better. I mean, it's great opportunity, so I have no regret. Today I was close. I'm going to have for sure another opportunity to make something better. That's what I'm looking for.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...237756272.html
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #115
country flag freefallball

freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all freefallball is a name known to all

People are scared that Serena is better than Graf, therefore they conveniently forget about Serena's other 15 grand slam double titles when they write their BS.
freefallball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #116
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallball View Post
People are scared that Serena is better than Graf, therefore they conveniently forget about Serena's other 15 grand slam double titles when they write their BS.
Since when is Serena being the best ever or not all about Graf. I didnt realize Graf was the consensus GOAT standard the way Federer was. However if doubles is that important Court and Navratilova are far beyond all others, and they easily surpass Serena in both singles and doubles achievements, not even close on either side of the fence in their case. King would also be ahead of Serena combining singles and doubles.

I am not sure what standards could be invented that make Serena above all other past greats or not far behind several others, be it focusing only on singles, singles with a bit of doubles consideration, equally on singles and doubles, you name it.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #117
country flag Bayo

Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute Bayo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
I dont think Serena is the greatest ever until she adds more to her current achievements, but I do think she is now the best female player ever. I like to distinguish between the two.
As always, a very perceptive point. I agree with your distinction.
Bayo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #118
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Serena and the others is that she is a part-time player whereas the other are full-time players. You cannot compare tournament wins because she play so few events 2 years of events for her is like 1 year for the like of Graf, Navratilova, and Evert. When it comes to game, it think she has the best ever, but game only brings you far enough, as many pointed out with her, she has the best game but she needs to be centered on the game more. Greatest ever is very subjective, i don't think there is a greatest ever, it should be Greatest of their era, rather than greatest of all time.

the best ever game for Serena is like with Petrova she has one of the most complete games you can see, but that doesn't make her one of the greatest in this era. Based on game alone Petrova is like top 5.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #119
country flag tak

tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light tak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
If she dominated the last two slam finals, I'd give her more credit but she's struggled in finals against weak competition this year. I'm not sure how these wins put her above the top 3 (Graf, Navs, Evert).

Even then, she's mopping up slams in the weakest point ever seen in the Open Era as far as greats. She has no rival and it's not because she is just that amazing but because the field is just so awful that when she actually plays like sh!t (Wimbledon and USO finals), no one can do anything about it.

In terms of accomplishments, she'll probably end up in Evert territory. Somewhat close to the greatest but definitely not the greatest.

Now if we talk about who the "best" female player of all-time is/was? I havent seen any form since 2002-2003 that comes close to the best players of all time aside from the serve.
What are you talking about. Your post makes no sense. Many great players at some point in their carry lose to some unknowns. Graf had some first round lose at wimbledon too. Your weakest point in the open era is just some nonsense from someone who probably know much about tennis.
tak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #120
country flag metamorpha

metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of

Yeah, now it's confirmed that Graf was overlooked.
metamorpha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote