Worst blown opportunity at RG for Hingis? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: WHICH ONE

1997 27 34.18%
1998 4 5.06%
1999 45 56.96%
2000 3 3.80%
2001 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #1
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute
Worst blown opportunity at RG for Hingis?

Hingis had so many opportunities to win this tournament throughout her career. Which was the most heartbreaking display of Legend watching the career slam slip through her fingers?

1997: l. in finals to Majoli 4-6 2-6
One of the biggest and most inexplicable upsets in a Grand Slam final ever. As a Hingis stan I'd like to blame this on the horseback riding accident, but the bitch had won 6 matches in a row going into this. She had played close matches against Majoli in the past, so maybe this just wasn't a good matchup for her. Still shouldn't have lost.

1998: l. in semifinals to Seles 3-6 2-6
Awaiting Martinochka in the final was Arantxa Sanchez, against whom she held an 18-2 H2H (and at that point in their careers it was 5-1). Hingis might as well have walked Sanchez out onto Philippe Chatrier on a leash. But oops, she had to beat past-her-prime Grandmanica in the semifinals. Not that losing a 9-time slam champion and 90's GOAT ( ) is anything to be ashamed of, but Hingis was a nightmare matchup for Seles throughout her entire career (H2H 15-5).

1999: l. in finals to Graf 6-4 5-7 2-6
Speaking of past-their-prime grandmas, Hingis had this match won in the second and then the brat done lost her damn mind. Serving underhand? This match was Karma d. Hingis.

2000: l. in semifinals to Pierce 4-6 7-5 2-6
Legend would have faced one of her biggest punching bags ever, Conchita Martinez (16 consecutive sets won against her going into this match), in the final. I know how hard this forum likes to fap over Peak Pierce, but Pierce is nowhere near as distinguished a player as Seles or Graf (or Hingis). She should've won this match, especially after coming back in the second and claiming the momentum. Chichi wouldn't have stood a chance in the final.

2001: l. in semifinals to Capriati 4-6 3-6
Hingis had already made herself Capriati's bitch by this point, so no one is shocked, but this would've been the surest victory in the finals of all. Clijsters did everything in her power to lose the match against Capriati, and it's hard to believe things would've gone differently against an even more legendary opponent.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
country flag Barktra
Allez

Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute Barktra has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Worst blown opportunity at RG for Hingis?

1997 and 1999

Other than that she faced players were just to good
Barktra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #3
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

The Graf match, considering she was up 6-4, *5-4, 15-0.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #4
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

2000 is the worst for me. Martinez in the final was too much of a gift.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #5
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #6
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by égalité View Post
2000 is the worst for me. Martinez in the final was too much of a gift.
Legend is 0-3 against Martinez on red clay (11-0 everywhere else).

The Graf loss was probably the worst of the bunch, because of the manner of the loss and how it affected the rest of her career in big matches. 2001 SF, Martina was completely out of it and played one of the worst matches of her career, and in fact she had been losing form rapidly since the Australian Open that year. 1997 was unfortunate because of the horse-riding accident and lack of preparation, but there was nothing she could do about that. I guess 1998 was a bad loss in that Martina really took her foot of the pedal after her banner year and just stopped working as hard (she was also a bit chubby that year), but during the match itself it wasn't like she could do much. Monica was very focused after Papa Seles's death.

Worst blown opportunity was obviously 2004 RG.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby : Oct 7th, 2012 at 03:23 AM.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #7
country flag LindsayRulz

LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute

The 1999 legendary breakdown.
LindsayRulz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #8
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
The Graf match, considering she was up 6-4, *5-4, 15-0.
I have to say this. Yahoo updated the score as "Hingis (1) leads Graf (3584548 or whatever) 6-4, 5-4, Hingis is serving for the match," and I went outside and had a celebratory dance in the trees and wrote my check to Satan.

Then everything happened and I never watched the match because back in the olde days we didn't get live Slam finals.

P.S. Don't make these threads because now I have to get drunk.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #9
country flag metamorpha

metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of

The worst is 1999, really. Her confidence was big and her opponent was Graf, no less. Too bad that she couldn't just focus on the game.

Second is 1998, I think. She slacked around after having much success already, that's why Seles was bossing her around in the semifinal.
metamorpha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #10
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Monica was very focused after Papa Seles's death.
That is until the GODDAMN FUCKING FINAL.

That one hurts too. If Monica was going to roll over to ASV she could have done us all a favor and bent over a round prior.

This thread is making me SO SAD.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #11
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
I have to say this. Yahoo updated the score as "Hingis (1) leads Graf (3584548 or whatever) 6-4, 5-4, Hingis is serving for the match," and I went outside and
that was when I turned off the TV to do something else, and an hour later I turned the TV back on and was shocked to see the match still going on and Legend serving to stay in it and serving that underarm serve.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:26 AM   #12
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Also 2000 was bad because I went into work late so I could watch that horrible SF. Bitch owes me like $15.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #13
moby

Watching Martina in the second week of RG is like watching Justine at Wimbledon. Too much fuckness.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #14
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Watching Martina in the second week of RG is like watching Justine at Wimbledon. Too much fuckness.
My favorite players always taste their career Slams before having them cruelly yanked away. WATCH OUT PETRA. Just kidding, like Petra will win another Slam.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #15
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

1999 of course. The rest she was simply outplayed.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote