Lesley Turner - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #46
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold
Re: Lesley Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Yola Ramirez eh? A great player on clay they say. You were a teenager in the early 50s when she came to the fore so of course you have an insight into her game that we dont have!!!!!!And agreed they cant play on clay to save their lives these days!!!
Nelslus was a teenager in the early 50s?

OK. Let nelslus put this another way....

NELSLUS WAS A TEENAGER IN THE EARLY 50S?!?!??!?

For cryin' out loud, the AGELESS nelslus was born in 1959- which of course is PLENTY bad enough, bub.

Just for this HORRENDOUS insult, Mister, nelslus shall have to cancel your subscription for the chance to view new of-course-tastefully-semi-revealing photos of nelslus and other photogenic Ancients at www.oldskanks.org.

P.S. When you next wake up in the morning to find Yola Ramirez's head in your bed, don't let it be said that you have not been warned.
Advertisement

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #47
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
Nelslus was a teenager in the early 50s?

OK. Let nelslus put this another way....

NELSLUS WAS A TEENAGER IN THE EARLY 50S?!?!??!?

For cryin' out loud, the AGELESS nelslus was born in 1959- which of course is PLENTY bad enough, bub.

Just for this HORRENDOUS insult, Mister, nelslus shall have to cancel your subscription for the chance to view new of-course-tastefully-semi-revealing photos of nelslus and other photogenic Ancients at www.oldskanks.org.

P.S. When you next wake up in the morning to find Yola Ramirez's head in your bed, don't let it be said that you have not been warned.
Of course I didnt think you were a teenager then. I mean I have some insight you know. Funny that comment about Ramirez and her head- my ex looked so like Brando. That is the Waterfront version not Godfather although I wouldnt complain either way.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #48
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this up for Thrust-who was a fan of Lesley.

In the meantime here is a picture from the summer of 1963. Turner (on right) has beaten South African Renee Schuurman to win the Dutch Championships.

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #49
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Renee bears a striking resemblance to Margaret Smith, only a few inches shorter!
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #50
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Renee bears a striking resemblance to Margaret Smith, only a few inches shorter!
LOL. I can see what you mean Jeff. Perhaps it also comes from a shared shyness.

Recently saw some film of Lesley. What a mover! she just naturally appears to glide on clay courts like she is ice skating.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 12:20 PM   #51
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
LOL. I can see what you mean Jeff. Perhaps it also comes from a shared shyness.

Recently saw some film of Lesley. What a mover! she just naturally appears to glide on clay courts like she is ice skating.
Renee does like a bit like a mini Margaret in that pic.

Oh I love watching footage of Turner on clay. She was a beautiful ground-stroker and as you rightly mention Rollo, the girl knew how to glide on the surface.

I think I have a RG QF with Turner beating King (as well as a few others) but it is her consistency and court speed which won her that match.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 11:17 PM   #52
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=tennisvideos;22228438]Renee does like a bit like a mini Margaret in that pic.

I imagine she carried stacks of mini new testaments around the tour, so as not to be out done by mighty Mags!
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #53
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bumping this up for Thrust-who was a fan of Lesley.

In the meantime here is a picture from the summer of 1963. Turner (on right) has beaten South African Renee Schuurman to win the Dutch Championships.

Thanks, just got to see your pic.. I probably mentioned that I saw the 1965 final at Dallas. Richey was hitting the lines, side and deep. Reading all the results was interesting, but I believe Bueno won the Italian 3 times.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #54
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

Didnt Turner lose a French Open once to Court after having Championship point. What a gut wrenching loss that must have been for her, especialy how much an additional slam means to players careers with relatively small number of them.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #55
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesGOAT View Post
Didnt Turner lose a French Open once to Court after having Championship point. What a gut wrenching loss that must have been for her, especialy how much an additional slam means to players careers with relatively small number of them.
She did lose to Court after holding a match point in the final. And she also lost another to Durr in 67 after leading 4-2 in the final set.

Lesley was an awesome clay court player.

Last night I got an invitation to play in a Legends event in Sydney in November and who is in the player list? None other than Lesley Turner herself along with other legends like Ken Rosewall, Judy Tegart (Dalton), and about 8 others. I am so excited as I got to play against Rosewall late last year in a similar event and it was one of the greatest days of my life. I pray I get to play against Lesley and Ken again!
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #56
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

She has 2 French Opens right? It sounds like she could easily have had 3 or 4. I wonder who is the 2nd best clay courter of the Court era. Richey, Turner, and Jones, would all have a possible claim. King was inferior to all. Goolagong I dont count as a true contemporary of those, although she wasnt probably a better clay courter than the 3 I mentioned either anyway.
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #57
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
I pray I get to play against Lesley and Ken again!
If you see her tell her she has a space here. If she ever wants to drop and and say hi as Nancy did.....

Enjoy the event TV
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #58
tennisvideos

Quote:
If you see her tell her she has a space here. If she ever wants to drop and and say hi as Nancy did.....

Enjoy the event TV
I most certainly will! Also Judy Dalton will be there who I know quite well so I shall mention this place to her as well.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #59
country flag SelesGOAT

She hit the ball very hard from the baseline. I think that was her greatest strength. She moved well too. She is unlucky she played in an era 3 of the 4 majors were on grass which wasnt her forte although she was still a good grass player.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #60
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
She did lose to Court after holding a match point in the final. And she also lost another to Durr in 67 after leading 4-2 in the final set.

Lesley was an awesome clay court player.

Last night I got an invitation to play in a Legends event in Sydney in November and who is in the player list? None other than Lesley Turner herself along with other legends like Ken Rosewall, Judy Tegart (Dalton), and about 8 others. I am so excited as I got to play against Rosewall late last year in a similar event and it was one of the greatest days of my life. I pray I get to play against Lesley and Ken again!
I had read that Ken still plays tennis. So glad to hear that after his near stroke last year. How are his shots? He is still my all-time favorite male player. He will be 78 this November. God bless him!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote