Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1 - Page 15 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #211
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
The quality of moderation in GM went up 100% when miffedmax became a mod

As for the schedule, one last comment from me:
Obviously Serena played all 4 Slams this year but let's look at the biggest tournmaents outside of the Slams:

Doha: DNP
IW: DNP
Miami: Serena played.
Madrid: Serena played.
Rome: Serena played.
Canada: DNP.
Cincy: Serena played.
Tokyo: DNP
Bejing: DNP

So basically Serena did not play 5 of the 9 biggest tournaments outside of the Slams, that doesn't look like a full schedule to me.
Thank you, facts are always a welcome thing here. Looking at this, one can simply not claim that she played a full schedule, it's factually wrong.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #212
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
wow great example
That's what you do, biased friend.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #213
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguehi View Post
This whole conversation is just weird. Is the WTA going to give Serena the number one ranking? No. Serena will have to earn it - math is math. What is the problem here? Serena's won slams, tournaments and the Olympics. Mathematically, not enough to be #1. There is no argument about deserving the ranking - it is what it is. Victoria has done enough to be #1 and that won't be taken away like some of you seem to think.

If someone thinks Serena is the best player based on her performances that is so different then someone saying because those performances she should leapfrog into the #1 spot ranking wise and be the top ranked player. Two totally different things. Sheesh.
It's as simple as that, really.

To those arguing about Serena's ranking...

Why are you posters arguing a moot point?

No one is saying that Serena should be ranked #1.
Where in this thread, or in any of the threads, is such an argument being made?
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #214
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
I agree as well. 1st Rd loss is worse than a loss in the final.

BUT(!!!!) Serena's loss is definitely not as embarrassing as Sharapova's loss in the Olympic Final. That's so fucking obvious, bro.
What? Maria lost to the best player in the world in that final and she still went home with something, a medal!!

I bet that the RG loss hurt Serena more than the Olympics final loss hurt Maria Seren was the favorite going into the French Open and she lost to freaking Razzano in R1 whereas Maria was an underdog at the Olympics and she still made the final.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #215
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long and Hard View Post
What? Maria lost to the best player in the world in that final and she still went home with something, a medal!!

I bet that the RG loss hurt Serena more than the Olympics final loss hurt Maria Seren was the favorite going into the French Open and she lost to freaking Razzano in R1 whereas Maria was an underdog at the Olympics and she still made the final.
How was she the underdog?! She was no.1 in the world if I'm not mistaken.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #216

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
How was she the underdog?! She was no.1 in the world if I'm not mistaken.
What do you mean she was number 1 in the world? Maria lost her number 1 ranking when she lost to Lisicki in the 4th round of Wimbledon and yes she was an underdog going into the Olympics cause no one really knew in what form she would show up in London and everyone was moaning on how her game is not suited for grass anymore .
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #217
country flag Kabibi

Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Both were hard to take for both players, however speaking on Serena's case, she used that as motivation to go on an impressive course that summer. So in essence, she turned that loss into super positive results wise. Sometimes blessings come in painful packages, but the strength of character shown by Serena after the fact added to her rewards.

Kabibi is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #218

Quote:
Both were hard to take for both players, however speaking on Serena's case, she used that as motivation to go on an impressive course that summer. So in essence, she turned that loss into super positive results wise. Sometimes blessings come in painful packages, but the strength of character shown by Serena after the fact added to her rewards.
What does that have to do with anything? My point is still valid, The loss against Razzano hurt Serena more than the beatdown that Maria received in the final, I would take a loss from Serena in the Olympics final which means I'm still going away with a medal any day rather than getting my ass spanked in the first round of a slam to which I was a favorite going into.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #219
Macomere

Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute Macomere has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Thank you, facts are always a welcome thing here. Looking at this, one can simply not claim that she played a full schedule, it's factually wrong.
Oh NOW you choose to talk about facts? You're such a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pling View Post
2012 Workload:

Azarenka : singles 54-8 (62) / doubles 1-0
Sharapova : singles 49-8 (57) / doubles 0
Williams : singles 53-4 (57) / doubles 13-1
Radwanska : singles 51-15 (66) / doubles 7-7
Kvitova : singles 44-13 (57) / doubles 1-0

So apart from Aga, Serena has played the same number of singles matches as the rest of the top 5 (bar a few more for Vika), but many more doubles (and all these in the more recent part of the year).

With all those matches through the summer, it's no wonder Serena needs a rest. And surely the others are plenty fresh from avoiding doubles? What will a handful of matches at Beijing matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
So, Jimmie my dear, what to you have to say about that confusing thing called math showing that Serena has played more tennis matches than Maria or Vika this year? Or that pesky thing called historical precedent that shows other 30+ year older players like Davenport cutting out tournaments and even whole parts of the year? One day you will get laid and awake from your willful, pressed ignorance.
Btw, you STILL haven't responded yet .
Macomere is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #220
country flag Deestruction
Two-timing...

Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute Deestruction has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is nothing but pure bs just trying to start some dumb shit that we all know of. Of course alot of people loves to hate on Serena its a disease. I quite actually like the fact that she is hated on because it makes her a better player and a better person. Serena never takes any crap for anything. People who complain about her schedule needs to either get a reality check or shut the fuck up. No one says that you have to be number 1 all the time to be the greatest player. And yes i do agree that of COURSE you have to play a full year to keep your number #1 status, Safina has almost did it, Caroline has done it twice and Vika is achieving it already. But does it mean that you automatically become the greatest player ever....NO. Same goes for slams and olympics. Just because you won one of those or two of those that doesnt mean you are automatically the greatest player ever. Its really all about mental strength and hunger and determination and all about the fight you put into every tournament you play and what you have shown to tennis fans before and after. So this thread is just pointless really if you ask me.
Deestruction is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #221
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't....
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #222
country flag TheLegendof

TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future

You guys realize you all largely agree, right? The overall consensus is that:

-- Azarenka deserves the #1 spot

-- Serena was not consistent enough to be #1

Stop trying to make this into a fan war by bringing in irrelevant details like 1st round losses vs. final losses and all that jazz.
TheLegendof is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #223
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute timafi has a reputation beyond repute

Safina

Sui have a seat kid
timafi is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #224
country flag Kabibi

Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute Kabibi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? My point is still valid, The loss against Razzano hurt Serena more than the beatdown that Maria received in the final.
If you can't see a connection to your post, then you didn't have a point other than to down Serena. Serena's loss was a horrible thing for her, as she's never lost 1st round at a slam and she was very positive going into it. Maria being embarrassed on a grand global scale should have been bad, but it seems by your account she was just happy to be there, being embarrassed. Okay. Two totally different viewpoints by the fans (I guess Serena fans have higher expectations since Serena has delivered time and time again) and the players and it's probably why Serena used her lowest point to reach highs while Maria is content to have her French. Cool.

Kabibi is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #225

Quote:
If you can't see a connection to your post, then you didn't have a point other than to down Serena. Serena's loss was a horrible thing for her, as she's never lost 1st round at a slam and she was very positive going into it. Maria being embarrassed on a grand global scale should have been bad, but it seems by your account she was just happy to be there, being embarrassed. Okay. Two totally different viewpoints by the fans (I guess Serena fans have higher expectations since Serena has delivered time and time again) and the players and it's probably why Serena used her lowest point to reach highs while Maria is content to have her French. Cool.
So you're saying that it is more embarrassing losing to SERENA WILLIAMS no matter in what stage of a tournament than losing to VIRGINIE RAZZANO? Is that what you're saying?
Closed Thread