Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #16
LeRoy.

LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute LeRoy. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Safina: Serena must play full year to be real No. 1

...and maybe win Rome and Madrid over Wimbledon, Olympics and the US open

LeRoy. is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #17
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
About what? About Victoria being the #1 player out there. Absolutely, she's deserving of the rank, and with a YEC and Beijing title would have an even stronger case for being the best player on the planet. But, Serena has played the full season to get her own rank, is it just a bad translation or does Dinara not even follow her own sport anymore?

To anyone who can think critically Serena still has an argument for being POY right now, i.e. the best player of the year - rankings or not. Anyway, the rankings were a joke with Dinara at the top. She was an awful #1 and even called herself a chicken in a slam final. That pretty much says it all when that's the alleged best player on the planet. The #1 ranked player isn't always the "world's best". Anyone with half a brain doesn't treat the rankings as a black and white text book of "who is better than who in male or female tennis.
Actually I think Dinara is the best slamless number one that the tour has had She challenged the best of the best while on top and she dominated everyone on clay when she was on top of the world rankings

Nobody said that Serena doesn't deserve the ranking that she has right now all Safina said was that Serena doesn't deserve to be number 1 especially considering the year that Azarenka has had so far. For me Victoria is a legit number one and should end the year as number 1, unless Sharapova somehow wins Beijing and YEC. Serena can take that number 2 rank from Maria but still Vika is far ahead of her.

And it's not about showing up at tournaments, it's about giving a damn about em.
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #18
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4m3ka View Post
Yes, I was about to say the same

Serena has played a full schedule, Dinara needs to stop living in the past
She missed 2 Premier Mandatory tournaments, at the same time Azarenka/Sharapova both reached at least QF on all 4 of them

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #19
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Not sure what's so funny about that.
see below, boo! Dinara's argument about serena selectively choosing only slams is not valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by starin View Post
She's played a full year though...
You can't call her a part timer considering how many matches she played during the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenus Christ View Post
Wait Kerber's ankle I thought it was her shoulder..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomere View Post
I hope its both.
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #20
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
She missed 2 Premier Mandatory tournaments, at the same time Azarenka/Sharapova both reached at least QF on all 4 of them
She never plays Indian Wells, and she was sick so she couldn't play Beijing. She reached QF in the other two.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #21
country flag J4m3ka

J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Serena has missed IW for the last decade for reasons we all know. It has nothing to do with her being a part time player. And well, if missing Beijing due to sickness means you are a part time player then fair enough
"But every sport improves dramatically every three-to-five years, and I think we've see that in the sport of tennis. These guys just keep getting better and better. There's no comparison between what guys are doing now to 10 years ago"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Agassi
"Listen, I could sit here and tell you that I'm the best of the best, but unfortunately, the best get better. That's just how it is. Speed, athleticism, change in technology, and why people don't come to the net anymore because of the angles that are created. It's a whole different set of circumstances out there"
J4m3ka is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #22
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute Matt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
see below, boo! Dinara's argument about serena selectively choosing only slams is not valid

She didn't play a full schedule, though. She missed IW and Bejing which are mandatory and she skipped the P5s in Canada and Tokyo as well.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #23
country flag Mary Cherry.
you're all sluts

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the problem with what she said.
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #24
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
She didn't play a full schedule, though.
Don't even bother trying, that's not getting through.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #25
country flag jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute

don't think she cares about No1 ...
Current crushes: Johannes STRATE Tom BATEMAN Éric BRUNEAU
Simply the best: Ole Einar BJØRNDALEN and JANNE AHONEN
jrm is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #26
country flag Hayato

Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute Hayato has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4m3ka View Post
Yes, I was about to say the same

Serena has played a full schedule
, Dinara needs to stop living in the past
Erm, why isn't she number one then? Or are you saying she's not number one because she's not really the best player?
Hayato is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #27
country flag J4m3ka

J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future J4m3ka has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
Erm, why isn't she number one then?
Because she hasn't won every event she has played or gone further than Masha/Vika/Aga in them all?

Oh, nice edit . I never said she deserves the number one ranking, did I? I said she hasn't been a part timer. Nice to take things out of context though
"But every sport improves dramatically every three-to-five years, and I think we've see that in the sport of tennis. These guys just keep getting better and better. There's no comparison between what guys are doing now to 10 years ago"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Agassi
"Listen, I could sit here and tell you that I'm the best of the best, but unfortunately, the best get better. That's just how it is. Speed, athleticism, change in technology, and why people don't come to the net anymore because of the angles that are created. It's a whole different set of circumstances out there"
J4m3ka is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #28
Miss Amor
Legendary

Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute

What does Safina know about being a real no.1 ..

Miss Amor is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #29
country flag TheLegendof

TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future

What a useless comment -- not relevant at all to the current situation on tour. Serena isn't #4 because she hasn't played well and often on tour. She's #4 because she crapped out in two grand slams. No biggie, she's still POY and she knows what she has to do next year to get that #1 ranking. Dinara needs to get a life -- this comment applied to Serena two years ago, not now.
TheLegendof is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #30
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Serena has missed IW for the last decade for reasons we all know. It has nothing to do with her being a part time player. And well, if missing Beijing due to sickness means you are a part time player then fair enough
I know the reasons why she missed these 2 mandatories , but full schedule still is 4 Slams + 4 Mandatories + 2 P5 (and in total 16 tournaments)

Serena didn't fulfil full schedule , because played less than 16 tournaments and missed 2 mandatories

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread