Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day" - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Stacey Allaster?

Yes 16 34.04%
No 31 65.96%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #31
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Switzerland is known for luxury watches, bank accounts, chocolate and Roger Federer.
Serbian players have a diplomatic passport. Djokovic could become the President tomorrow morning if he wanted to.

Players do represent their country everyday.

Go see a match at the Australian Open. There will be security if two players from "rival" countries play against each other.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #32
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

I think Stacey is kind of right about the playing for their country thing, but I think she draws the wrong conclusions about who benefits from that. The fact that fans often identify with players from their own country is something that benefits the WTA, because it helps to pull in fans who would otherwise not get interested in tennis.

The Fed Cup (and perhaps to a lesser extent the Olympics, although I'm doubtful about that) is an integral part of that, because Fed Cup ties are the events that motivate patriotic fans to come along and support their country. The football-match atmosphre that goes along with that means that Fed Cup is also often a lot more fun than regular tournaments. But that will only apply if the Fed Cup ties continues in more or less the current format.

The two-week proposal will pretty much kill the goose that lays the golden egg. The fact that Allaster proposed it suggests she doesn't understand that, and rather sees the Fed Cup as a burden on the tour that has to be reduced as much as possible. In fact they should do the opposite: streamline the tour to make more room for players to represent their country in Fed Cup more, without that placing undue burden on their tour commitments
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #33
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Typical PR BS. Nonsense of course. Players play for themselves.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #34
country flag onebridgecafe

onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice onebridgecafe is just really nice

What on earth would be good IF ever a player represented her country.

Show the power of the country?

RIDICULOUS.

19th century minded zombie.
onebridgecafe is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #35
country flag Celeborn

Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all Celeborn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I think Stacey is kind of right about the playing for their country thing, but I think she draws the wrong conclusions about who benefits from that. The fact that fans often identify with players from their own country is something that benefits the WTA, because it helps to pull in fans who would otherwise not get interested in tennis.

The Fed Cup (and perhaps to a lesser extent the Olympics, although I'm doubtful about that) is an integral part of that, because Fed Cup ties are the events that motivate patriotic fans to come along and support their country. The football-match atmosphre that goes along with that means that Fed Cup is also often a lot more fun than regular tournaments. But that will only apply if the Fed Cup ties continues in more or less the current format.

The two-week proposal will pretty much kill the goose that lays the golden egg. The fact that Allaster proposed it suggests she doesn't understand that, and rather sees the Fed Cup as a burden on the tour that has to be reduced as much as possible. In fact they should do the opposite: streamline the tour to make more room for players to represent their country in Fed Cup more, without that placing undue burden on their tour commitments
All of this!

A lot of people who are mainly fans of other sports are often general sport fans as well. That means in tennis they follow basically the slams and Davis Cup/Fed Cup. So having a properly working team event is good for the sport. This year's final was sold out in a few hours, which is absolutely amazing.

Reducing it to a one week event would be a bad decision imho. Maybe they should be more flexible with the schedule, say the second round, which is in the middle of the clay season, should always takes place in Europe if possible.

I would like to see a team event in the olympics as well, using both weeks of the olympics, first week a single competition, second week team competition or something similar. In return no Fed Cup in olympic years.
Celeborn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #36
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future

The ITF and the likes of Pete Bodo are trying to shame the WTA into submission. "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day" is a very appropriate response by Stacey Allaster.
PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #37
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Does any athlete who regularly turns down the honour of playing in their national team really belong in the Olympics?
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #38
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
Does any athlete who regularly turns down the honour of playing in their national team really belong in the Olympics?
"We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day" - Stacey Allaster

PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #39
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
No its just to prove you've actually shown some commitment to someone other than yourself. The Olympics as a whole is about a massive national team and the ITF are right to demand a player has shown commitment to their tennis team.
ITF would be right if FED Cup results would decide who gets in or not. Not just simple participation. Phelps and Bolt were at the olympics because they were swimming and running fast enough to get in their "national team". Not because they committed to a pointless race.

Quote:
who the fuck should care about "national team" when the qualification process depends on ranking points, not honour.

not to mention how the federations sabotaging their own players...
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #40
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

The athletes do represent their country every time they play. If they weren't receiving training or coaching provided through their national association they wouldn't be competing on the world stage for tour titles. Its a mutually beneficial relationship because the player receives the things that are often too difficult financially for them to provide themselves and the national association takes pride in its athletes winning under their country's flag.

The proposal for making Fed Cup over a two week or 7 day period would be interesting to watch unfold. It would have to be in a different location every year likely rotating between a city located within the world group I members because having a somewhat pre-determined location will allow for fans to travel to each city to support their country's team. It definitely could work and frankly having the Fed Cup season spread throughout the entire year is way more anti-climatic then this would be. In my mind I am thinking of Hopman Cup mixed with the Olympics. It would be a much larger draw for fans to watch and the tradition of it being annual won't have to go away.
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #41
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future

I quote former F1 World Champion Keke Rosberg to tell if sportspeople compete for themselves or their countries:

"I didn't drove the championship for Finland but for myself. And I didn't mean to create goodwill for Finland, but if I did, I have nothing against it."

I think that's also most tennis players' mindset, they play for themselves, even in OG and somewhat also in Fed/Davis Cup. But nationalism has always been very prominent in in sports, especially in individual sports. Players play for themselves but represent also their countries.

When it comes to changing the Fed Cup format, I don't know if it's a good idea. What I like in current format is that they have matches always at another team's home court. On the other hand, having ties spread aroud the year makes it anti-climatic, it's like UEFA Champions League compared to FIFA World Cup. But I wouldn't like to change the format, I just prefer the current format, and if they change the format, I hope they change only Fed Cup's format, not Davis Cup's too. ITF should just do all they can to make these nations' cups more attractive for players, give points like in DC and maybe also financial compensation for playing.
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #42
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I quote former F1 World Champion Keke Rosberg to tell if sportspeople compete for themselves or their countries:

"I didn't drove the championship for Finland but for myself. And I didn't mean to create goodwill for Finland, but if I did, I have nothing against it."

I think that's also most tennis players' mindset, they play for themselves, even in OG and somewhat also in Fed/Davis Cup. But nationalism has always been very prominent in in sports, especially in individual sports. Players play for themselves but represent also their countries.

When it comes to changing the Fed Cup format, I don't know if it's a good idea. What I like in current format is that they have matches always at another team's home court. On the other hand, having ties spread aroud the year makes it anti-climatic, it's like UEFA Champions League compared to FIFA World Cup. But I wouldn't like to change the format, I just prefer the current format, and if they change the format, I hope they change only Fed Cup's format, not Davis Cup's too. ITF should just do all they can to make these nations' cups more attractive for players, give points like in DC and maybe also financial compensation for playing.
Theres a difference between what sportsmen think and what the fans see. Its like when entertainers and sportsmen claim that they are not role models for kids.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #43
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Olympic Games/Spirit or organisers/whatever/whoever... seem to fancy the KO format used day in, day out on the ATP and WTA tours!?

If that's "for-your-country" enough for the Olympics, the whole Fed Cup thing is like making pole-vaulters qualify via a portrait painting contest.
Marlene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #44
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
[

ITF would be right if FED Cup results would decide who gets in or not. Not just simple participation. Phelps and Bolt were at the olympics because they were swimming and running fast enough to get in their "national team". Not because they committed to a pointless race.
I'd actually like to see some form of Fed Cup ranking for this purpose, however how would players win points like would Kvitova beating Ivanovic in the final be worth the same as Wozniacki beating Bowtell in Europe/Africa III

I guess the whole competition would need to be rejigged for such a rank system to work.

I however would have no issue with such a system for Olympic qualification.