Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day" - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Stacey Allaster?

Yes 16 34.04%
No 31 65.96%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM   #16
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
In fact it is the assertion that they do that is ridiculous. And obviously so. Is the country footing the bill for them? No. Are they there because their countries requested them to be? No. Do the players themselves see it as representing their countries? No. Are golfers representing their countries in PGA events?
It's like saying that Hollywood movies don't represent American culture worldwide, they only try to make money.

The same way an athlete represents his country whenever s/he competes in an international event.
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #17
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
It's like saying that Hollywood movies don't represent American culture worldwide, they only try to make money.

The same way an athlete represents his country whenever s/he competes in an international event.
Hollywood movies DON'T represent american culture at all. Out of EVERY movie industry, hollywood is the number one looking for the profit before anything else. Smaller countries and more independent movies may take more pride coming from a certain country but if there's one industry that only promote their personal interest it is definitely the movie/music and everything linked to art. That's why some are so controversial. Also what would give the "nationality" to a movie? lol his realisator or producer nationality? The country where it has been filmed? The average nationality of the actors that are playing in it? The home of the studios? I mean you remember much more the name of the actors and realisator then the country of the movie.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #18
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
In fact it is the assertion that they do that is ridiculous. And obviously so. Is the country footing the bill for them? No. Are they there because their countries requested them to be? No. Do the players themselves see it as representing their countries? No. Are golfers representing their countries in PGA events?

You never hear of countries national tennis associations paying for coaching, training locations, and being of constant support to players? Maybe not the elite, but a TON of players receive substantial funding from their country/national tennis association.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #19
country flag Simugna Help

Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute Simugna Help has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey! View Post
Hollywood movies DON'T represent american culture at all. Out of EVERY movie industry, hollywood is the number one looking for the profit before anything else. Smaller countries and more independent movies may take more pride coming from a certain country but if there's one industry that only promote their personal interest it is definitely the movie/music and everything linked to art. That's why some are so controversial. Also what would give the "nationality" to a movie? lol his realisator or producer nationality? The country where it has been filmed? The average nationality of the actors that are playing in it? The home of the studios? I mean you remember much more the name of the actors and realisator then the country of the movie.
Hollywood movies do represent American culture, because they're cultural products from America that are popular both in America and elsewhere, ie. people do watch them in their free time. They might not be art, but they're definitely part of the culture.

And yes, I often find myself checking where the movie was made, or sometimes deliberately look for movies from a specific country to find out something about it, something I can't learn from a wikipedia entry.
Simugna Help is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #20
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

useless arguing who represents what. Different for every people.

Point is, as Allaster said "Compared to other professional sports, athletes at the caliber of ours in tennis do not have the same eligibility requirements with their national associations or their international federations. We think that is unfair."

In other sports athletes need actual good results to qualify for Olympics.
But the FED Cup results are unimportant, even ITF doesnt care if players win or lose. But still want to force players to participate.
It is mindblowingly stupid because the actual qualification depends on WTA ranking points.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM   #21
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don´t give a s*** about Fed-Cup. What competition of nations is played out over a year? None. Because nobody would give a s***, if you played the group stages of the World Cup in January, and a knockout stage round every two months thereafter. I say this every time the topic comes up. Just change the format. Play 32 nations in one big Fed Cup event every two years at the end of the season. Every Fed-Cup team has four players and each player has to play at least once. No further restrictions. Every tie features three singles and two doubles matches. Three points win. Instead of regular sets you play match tiebreak sets. That way you can finish a full Fed-Cup tie in one day easily and the whole event in two weeks. Lots of drama, lots of action, more doubles, more team strategy setting your line-ups, less physically demanding to the players.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM   #22
country flag tennis-insomniac

tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute tennis-insomniac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
You never hear of countries national tennis associations paying for coaching, training locations, and being of constant support to players? Maybe not the elite, but a TON of players receive substantial funding from their country/national tennis association.
True, in Thailand especially, we are very proud of our players and they're often funded by the Thai tennis Association. I like the idea of having fed cup as a tournament that would be fun, I would love to participate if I were a tennis player.

-"Still On The Road"
tennis-insomniac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #23
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it seems to me that full Britain was rooting for Murray and hoping that he could won US Open , because he was definitely representing Britain as tennis nation and not only himself.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM   #24
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Fed Cup is the only time some players get to play in their own countries. Making it into yet another super tournament would mean some countries never get see their own players, like Serbia, Slovakia, Belarus etc. I know Im the only one who likes Fed Cup the way it is now, its a nice change to see the players in a different format two times a year and getting excited playing for something other than just money. Most of the Premier tournament matches like the one in China now are just dull, couldnt give a toss who wins and the players look bored.
King Halep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:16 PM   #25
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
Hollywood movies do represent American culture, because they're cultural products from America that are popular both in America and elsewhere, ie. people do watch them in their free time. They might not be art, but they're definitely part of the culture.

And yes, I often find myself checking where the movie was made, or sometimes deliberately look for movies from a specific country to find out something about it, something I can't learn from a wikipedia entry.
Depends if you're talking about HOLLYWOOD movies or independent movies. Anyway movies are made to showcase the talent of an actor, writer, Producer, realisater etc ... way before representing a country. I think you confuse the fans perspective with the film making production. I mean yes for a fan the nationality might be a reason to follow, watch and look for a player/movie/music etc... BUT the other way is not really true. A player or a movie producer is not making his work to showcase and represent a country unless it's in a geographical or international competition. I'm talking about Professionals who make their living with that of course. NOt talking about amateurs. Anyway this doesn't mean that a player or anybody else is not proud to see their country flag when they achieve something big. it's just not their purpose.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:53 PM   #26
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
Fed Cup is the only time some players get to play in their own countries. Making it into yet another super tournament would mean some countries never get see their own players, like Serbia, Slovakia, Belarus etc. I know Im the only one who likes Fed Cup the way it is now, its a nice change to see the players in a different format two times a year and getting excited playing for something other than just money. Most of the Premier tournament matches like the one in China now are just dull, couldnt give a toss who wins and the players look bored.
Good points. Not to mention that almost everyone here was excited about the recent FedCup thread which was packed with the pictures of players, venues, special outifts or even earrings worn by players, etc.

FedCup is a pleasant change.
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM   #27
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
In other sports athletes need actual good results to qualify for Olympics.
But the FED Cup results are unimportant, even ITF doesnt care if players win or lose. But still want to force players to participate.
It is mindblowingly stupid because the actual qualification depends on WTA ranking points.
No its just to prove you've actually shown some commitment to someone other than yourself. The Olympics as a whole is about a massive national team and the ITF are right to demand a player has shown commitment to their tennis team.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM   #28
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future

Fed Cup only changed in the 90's because they wanted a similar set-up to Davis Cup and to give it more exposure. They have tinkered with the schedule numerous times since then but I just don't think the interest is there.

I would love to the WTA to put tournaments in Fed Cup weeks but they won't.

babsi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #29
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

That's all she can come up with for the future ? She's so lame.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #30
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth did this thread sidetrack into a discussion about Hollywood movies? Only on TF...

Anyway, the bit about players representing their countries every day is a load of bollocks. That's one thing I like about tennis - I don't feel entitled to support a player just because of their nationality (although being British, the media makes that pretty difficult at times).

The idea about turning the Fed Cup into a one-two week event is a good one, even if it is a bit impractical. I'm not sure how the whole thing would work when it comes down to all the ties outside of the World Group.
Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote