Elina Svitolina: another sprout about to blossom? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: So what do you think?

top 10 2 14.29%
#10 - #25 0 0%
#25 - #50 7 50.00%
top 100 4 28.57%
will fade away 0 0%
never heard of her / I don't care 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future
Elina Svitolina: another sprout about to blossom?

Ukrainian girl, just turned 18 years old, 174 cm, right-handed, prefers clay and grass; #144 WTA this week.

Elina showed her talent in her junior years, winning RG 2010 at 15 yo and being runner-up in Wimby 2012.
As a pro, she won 2 25Ks and was RU in a 50K before the last week. Well, last week Elina won her first 50K in a fashionable way - not having the toughest opponents ever, but without dropping a set.

$50,000 Telavi

1st Round
Elina SVITOLINA (UKR) [2] 6-3 6-1 Ekaterina DZEHALEVICH (BLR)
2nd Round
Elina SVITOLINA (UKR) [2] 6-1 6-4 Corinna DENTONI (ITA)
QF
Elina SVITOLINA (UKR) [2] 6-2 6-1 Tereza MRDEZA (CRO) [5]
SF
Elina SVITOLINA (UKR) [2] 6-3 6-1 Anna SHKUDUN (UKR)
F
Elina SVITOLINA (UKR) [2] 6-1 6-2 Lesia TSURENKO (UKR) [1]

Now, I know she didn't beat top players yet. This tournament might be a fluke, but the scorelines proves she's in a good form and ready to break the top 100 next year. Then the things will depend on her. Most of you probably didn't ever watch her play, so there she is (not the most convincing video, I know):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVZJEuhsRc

I think she's gonna' be a constant top 30-50 player in a few years, maybe 20-30, but that's all.

What do you guys think? Oh, and please, no hate, no bandwagon

Last edited by Dan_Doe : Oct 1st, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM   #2
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of
Re: Elina Svitolina: another sprout about to blossom?

My guess is 50-100, maybe even up to 20, but not further. I don't think she's that talented but she seems consistent.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
country flag Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread, Dan_Doe. Fully agree with you. I also think she will be a consistent top 50 player. Maybe more than just a top 50 player but I doubt that really. Top 50 is a realistic goal for her in the next 2/3 years. Her game is exciting to watch imo.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Bencic Pavlyuchenkova Halep Muguruza Lottner
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:47 AM   #4
country flag Iceland
From island to island

Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute Iceland has a reputation beyond repute

She's really unimpressive from that match against Ana. The problem with those Eastern European players is that they generally don't serve well enough to be dangerous players. She will probably improve in the coming years but I think they are more talented youngsters than her.

Supporting Marion Bartoli - Aga Radwańska - Aravane Rezaï - Laura Robson - Caroline Garcia !!!

http://kristinamladenovic.blogspot.com/
Iceland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM   #5
country flag Wert.

Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute

25-50.
Wert. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:56 AM   #6
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceland View Post
She's really unimpressive from that match against Ana. The problem with those Eastern European players is that they generally don't serve well enough to be dangerous players. She will probably improve in the coming years but I think they are more talented youngsters than her.
Yeah, there are lots of more promising girls then her, no doubt about it. But she seems to be consistent in winning the matches in which she's the favorite and this is pretty rare in WTA. On the other hand, she's not herself when playing against top players, as you can see in that video.
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
country flag Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceland View Post
I agree with this but talent alone isn't enough to make you a top 30/20 player anyway. Look at Errani for sec, she is a short player with no serve and her talent is limited compared to many players on tour yet she is in the top 10. That's because she is a great hardworker and consistent. If Elina works hard on her game/tennis, she can be a top 30 player in the future.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Bencic Pavlyuchenkova Halep Muguruza Lottner
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM   #8
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen her few times at local events and i didn't think she can be Top30 any time soon, maybe Top50 if she works hard and improves her serve
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM   #9
country flag smarties

smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda. View Post
I agree with this but talent alone isn't enough to make you a top 30/20 player anyway. Look at Errani for sec, she is a short player with no serve and her talent is limited compared to many players on tour yet she is in the top 10. That's because she is a great hardworker and consistent. If Elina works hard on her game/tennis, she can be a top 30 player in the future.
That's true, but I think the main is reason is because she is very strong mentally.

You might as well smile, you might as well smile cause tomorrow, you just don't know...
- Beth Orton
smarties is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM   #10
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Her second serve is one of the worst I've ever seen. It just sits up for her opponents to hit winners off, Bouchard was punishing them in the Wimbledon final. And she made a lot of DFs. She needs to improve that. I can see her between 25-50 Maybe higher but who knows. Her ranking is pretty good for her age and the scorelines last week were really impressive
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute

She is very consistent and good on the Pro Circuit, but quite unimpressive in Juniors. In the Junior Video Thread there is her match vs Bouchard and I wouldnt have put her in the Top 20

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
The Chernobyl mutant is in her element within China's waste and pollution.
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote