'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to norm? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #61
country flag Wonderlander

Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of Wonderlander has much to be proud of
Re: 'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombrerero loco View Post
she just made it into top 20
I know. It's just a feeling.

Oh and what about Gajdosova? I really doubt she is able to overcome her current slump and put herself back into TOH 30-40.
Wonderlander is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #62
country flag Alizé Molik
Championne de Wimbledon 2013

Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute Alizé Molik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 'Journey Women' who became top players for a brief period before returning to nor

so a journeywoman is a player who has a limited talent and is just playing for the love of tennis knowing they have no actual chance of being a top 10 player and winning titles/slams regularly.

Players like Dokic or Groenefeld don't fit into that catagory. They really don't if you factor in the OP's other criteria i.e. having years of scrub status before suddenly becoming top 20 and then 12 months later dropping back.

\
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #63
country flag *Jool*

*Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute *Jool* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin. View Post
There are quite a few players mentioned here, that got f*cked up by injuries etc. , and were unable to return to the top
yeah, some if not most of the girls mentionned in the thread were in thatcase. who knows what would have happened without injuries.. but that's part of the game, alas ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
I've had one player that i really got behind and supported who ended up being journey women ....

I really thought she was going to be something...twas not to be.
perfect example of fucked up career by injuries

KATA - AMG -
APS

Serena- Garcia- Hercog- KDK- Daniilidou- Puig- Muguruza...

*Jool* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #64
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorpha View Post
I'm not so sure with Dokic and Jankovic. Dokic was No. 4 in the world before but has been a mere journeywoman since then, which is very odd. She had a very brief comeback in AO 2009 and then back to journeywoman again...

Jankovic was a journeywoman before 2006 that I sometimes mistook her for Jelena Kostanic She proved what she was capable of... but then she was slumping and looked like a mere journeywoman again like before.
oh so you were serious ?
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #65
country flag saint2

saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute saint2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cornet.
Honestly, Cornet should not be mentioned her. If she should, so should Cirstea, Oudin, Szavay and many other players.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #66
country flag rrfnpump

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetssllim View Post
Beltrame
Perfect example.

Also, maybe Sesil Karatantcheva even though her (drug) story is different.

We'll see about Errani and Lepchenko next year....

Last edited by rrfnpump : Sep 30th, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
rrfnpump is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #67
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit;22259926

[b
Elena Bovina:[/b] started off floating between #1420-158 for the first six years of her career. Then shot up all the way to #15. She had a run that lasted 3 years then plummeted to as low as #389 and never ended another season in the top 100.*Had wins over Dementieva, Clijsters, Petrova, Venus, Capriatti, and Davenport.
Their is still time!
Or did she retire when I wasn't looking?

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #68
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizé Molik View Post
so a journeywoman is a player who has a limited talent and is just playing for the love of tennis knowing they have no actual chance of being a top 10 player and winning titles/slams regularly.

Players like Dokic or Groenefeld don't fit into that catagory. They really don't if you factor in the OP's other criteria i.e. having years of scrub status before suddenly becoming top 20 and then 12 months later dropping back.

\
THANKYOU!! Lol,some of these players being mentioned are just ....a young player who jumps up the ranks but the falls due to injury,off court issues does NOT fit; a player who has spent more than 3 years inside the top 30/40 does NOT count.

Severine Beltrame(Bremond) is a perfect example(more than many in my OP)....I was going to mention the other Bremond,Iryna (Kuryanovich) whom spent the first 9-10 years of her career outside the top 200 as a challeneger scrub, then suddenly in 2011 she gets married, becomes french and gets a RG MD WC and wins a match thus finding herself as a top 100 player! She has since returned to her normal ITF level.
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #69
Miss Amor
Legendary

Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute Miss Amor has a reputation beyond repute

Cornet, Jankovic and Bremond.

Miss Amor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #70
country flag metamorpha

metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenius View Post
oh so you were serious ?
Yes, why? Others here also think Jankovic is journeywoman.
metamorpha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #71
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorpha View Post
Yes, why? Others here also think Jankovic is journeywoman.
others like who ? bradbury ? no comment
(and if someone spending consecutive years in top10 and finishing a season as #1 = journeywoman, I guess a lot of the girls on tour will dream of being called "a journeywoman" too one day)
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #72
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderlander View Post
Can you read? (Or does my English suck that much?)
didnt miss your use of "even". you are very witty and amusing
King Halep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #73
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
I disagree here. ALGs slip was because of her former coach. She was never the same after that, also physically. The way she took apart Sharapova at Moscow before injuring her ankle wasn't random IMO. I always feel she is a much bigger talent than most of the young Germans we are talking about now.
No doubt injuries were her main foe, but just like others have already mentioned that can be said of a lot of others as well. There aren't in asterisks marks by anyone's names- being a professional athlete can be a short lived career that might not workout and if I had to guess I would say injuries is probably the number one reason why.

But it doesn't change anything. Justified or not the results are that of a journey woman- thats the "breaks"- as they say... At the end of the day nobody cares why and everybody has a reason. After were done debating they will still be journey women.

Here is the OP criteria- how the term "joirneywoman" was defined:
Quote:
Anywho, i was wondering who are some players that have had similar runs: average/journeywomen for many years then has a sudden rise out of nowhere that skyrockets her rank but after a season or two they seem to eventually fall back to their normal level ?
ALG has the bell shaped curve if u use her year end rankings...low ranking in the beginning a spike to the top, then back to a low ranking again...
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro

Last edited by Sir Stefwhit : Sep 30th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #74
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit View Post
I don't know when I think German the first person that comes to my mind is Anna-Lena Groenefeld. In 2008 she was named WTA Player Of the Year. In 2005 she made it to the 3rd round in 3 out of the 4 slams. And in 2006 she had career high of 19.

Then it was back to obscurity...lol. She spent most of her first 5 years on tour outside of the top 100 and after her small window of success she collapsed and dipped to the 70's, then out of the top 100 the following year and then finished her last year outside of the top 500.
The topic specifically mentioned Journey Women and some of the players being listed here are nothing like that. It is clear that a lot of GM is unable to grasp the subtleties of language. The trajectory you describe here does not sound like a Journey Woman, she sounds like a talented player who had coaching and injury problems and quit singles well before she could join the Julia Cohens of the tour. She is now a doubles player and quite a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin. View Post
There are quite a few players mentioned here, that got f*cked up by injuries etc. , and were unable to return to the top
Thank you Elwin.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #75
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
yanina wickmayer is another one, she only had one great result in her career, and that was a semi final at the us open a few years ago, only for that result she would harldy be top 50
your killing me, really. next thing you will be telling me you had no idea she was injured. is yanina from a rich family?