No chance for Serena to end with No.1 this year? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 27th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #31
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No chance for Serena to end with No.1 this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTtErFrEnA View Post
shouldn't he be happy serena is a part timer? more chances for martha
That's where you wrong, Maria playing Serena week in week out would obviously increase her chances to finally beat Serena anyway this thread ain't about Maria.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #32
Adal

Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute

Serena & Venus have been critised in the past for playing limited schedules, but that's exactly why THEY are the only ones still on the tour while most of their main rivalries are long retired. Better to be a 'part timer' than retired at 25, no?

I'm happy that Sharapova understands that as well and that's why I think she still has many years ahead of her where she will actually be able to compete physically.

As for the #1, I think Serena made it pretty obvious that she doesn't give a damn. And even though she has had a terrific summer, overall it's been a very inconsistent season for her. So I guess that's fair.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #33
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfan View Post
I don't expect to see Serena play in the YEC either. I think Serena played her last match of the year at the USO finals. But who cares about the #1 spot. Serena has proved time and time again that the top spot is just a number. She didn't need it to win Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open. Get some rest Serena and come back recharged for the AO.
I understand about Tokya and Being but why wouldn't she play YEC? A bigger event and she'll be fully rested by then.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #34
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

She has just won 2 slams and Olympic Gold. Commitment? I'll take her commitment over any other type of commitment.
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #35
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adal View Post
Serena & Venus have been critised in the past for playing limited schedules, but that's exactly why THEY are the only ones still on the tour while most of their main rivalries are long retired. Better to be a 'part timer' than retired at 25, no?

I'm happy that Sharapova understands that as well and that's why I think she still has many years ahead of her where she will actually be able to compete physically.

As for the #1, I think Serena made it pretty obvious that she doesn't give a damn. And even though she has had a terrific summer, overall it's been a very inconsistent season for her. So I guess that's fair.
She has hinted a few times she wanted to be year-end #1. I think Azarenka making the USO final made it obvious to her it would be very tough she could obtain it.

If she does much better at Australia, plays a February tournament, and does better at Miami, she is #1 easy.

Depending on Azarenka's performance in Australia, Serena should be able to grab it there and cement it after.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #36
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
That's where you wrong, Maria playing Serena week in week out would obviously increase her chances to finally beat Serena anyway this thread ain't about Maria.
You're actually right. The law of large numbers even works for Serena vs. Maria.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #37
country flag Toxic

Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of Toxic has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
8 years and counting. Next!!!

Oh and careersilverslam
Toxic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #38
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute

She didn't have a chance anyway. 4rd in Australia 1rd in Roland Garros.
Roookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #39
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky or knock her or anything, just being curious: How did she play a heavy schedule? She played a regular schedule and even missed two big events (like Vika) so I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary.

Edit: She played Stanford? That escaped me, so it's one "unusual" tournament then.
From Wimbledon through to the US Open, she played 41 matches including doubles. That's a pretty hefty workload especially when you factor in the travelling etc.

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #40
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

she'll win YEC, AO and Miami anyway. +4000pts.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #41
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
Your point was that Serena is a part timer who hasnt been as good or as consistent as Martha this year. Thanks for playing along though. Now buh bye
Don't know why you sounds so pressed especially after the season Serena had. Anyway I stand my point, Serena wasn't as good nor as consistent and if you're not OK take a look at the rankings.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #42
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
How am I pressed? I calmly stated my opinion, that's it.

It's actually good news in my book as I'm looking forward to see Vika take the YE#1 so no reason to be pressed at all.
No. You just can't understand how a player is not fixated with number one, cause that was you and Caro's #1 fixation to legitimize her; her #1 ranking.

Obviously, Serena doesn't care. Been there done that (unless it's low hanging fruit for her). She just wants to win majors and stay sharp and healthy.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #43
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
For Serena it was a heavy schedule

Charleston
Madrid
Rome
FO
Wimbledon
Stanford
Olympics
Cincy
USO.

Since she won 6 of those tournaments, she played a of matches as well. To put it into perspective -

Serena has won 53 matches this year,
Sharapova has won 51 (?)
and Azarenka has won 56 (?).

Her goal is quality, not quantity and always has been that way.

As it stands right now after Tokyo, she has played the same amount of tournament as Sharapova. If she is a part timer then so is the world #2.
True. For someone who was utterly humiliated and had her ass handed to her by sub-top 50 players at 2 Slams this year, she didn't do that badly, all things considered.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #44
country flag doomsday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
No. You just can't understand how a player is not fixated with number one, cause that was you and Caro's #1 fixation to legitimize her.

Obviously, Serena doesn't care. She just wants to win majors and stay sharp and healthy.
I think she does care but she obviously won't give her very best in minor tournaments and maximize her chances in majors to get the N1 ranking but that being said, I think it won't be enough. Not with Sharapova and Vika being so good at majors and outside majors too.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #45
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRose View Post
I understand about Tokya and Being but why wouldn't she play YEC? A bigger event and she'll be fully rested by then.
What's the point of playing the YEC for Serena? Ranking points? Naw. Money? Naw. Chance to get to #1? Naw. There have been at least two or three times in the past where Serena has qualified for the YEC and declined to play. I think to Serena it's just another tournament. Plus by pulling out of China, she would have no warm up tournament, so I think it really signals she had no desire to play this fall and we won't see her again until January.