Why do girls miss so many simple balls? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 25th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #16
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do girls miss so many simple balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermod View Post
Everytime a female player has to do an overhead smash I hold my breath.

I think a lot of female players lack a bit of brain in certain situations. Like hitting an easy put-away directly to the opponent with an over-powered shot instead of playing a less risky shot in the other direction. Sometimes it seems a lot of players lack peripheral vision.

There are players like Errani who are more intelligent on court though.
So Djokovic doesn't have a brain, cause he sucks in hitting smashes.
dencod16 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #17
country flag supermod

supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of supermod has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
So Djokovic doesn't have a brain, cause he sucks in hitting smashes.
Yes, Djokovic doesn't have a brain. He misses simple balls all the time.
supermod is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #18
country flag Vespertine69

Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute

I think women do get a bit more nervous and also doubt their shots a bit more, which leads to more fluffed "easy" shots. But the idea that pro guys don't also screw these shots up is unfair and misleading... I tend only to watch the higher ranked guys and even they miss stuff that you would favour anyone with a racket in hand to make sometimes. I think perhaps a lot of women train less over their career on putaway shots, as especially at younger levels it is more common to just win points off the ground by hitting side to side... whereas boys need to learn to put away a short ball earlier in life and focus more on it.

Tennis is a sport of tiny margins, and there will always be hilarious shanks and flubbed shots into the net that are embarrassing. I really don't think this is something that is confined to women, and some of the posts in here about men having more "sport intelligence" are seriously worrying...
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #19
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

I was a fan of Marat Safin, he was hitting enormous number of UE , but still was able to beat Federer and Sampras at Slams.

for instance Pat Rafter vs Andre Agassi at Wimbledon 2000 7-5, 4-6, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3

Winners 52 -56
UE 59 - 64

Safin Federer Australian Open 2005 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6, 9-7

Winners 65 72
UE 60 59

And i can give a number of such examples

We are just forgetting how more agressive tennis was a few years ago. Nowadays consistency, combinations, stamina in mens tennis are priorities. It's just the matter of slow surfaces.

Girls still feel that if thier balls are touching lines , they are winning points and risk is benefitial. That's why i think that the main reason is that girls are trying to finish rallies earlier just with one good strike. In men's tennis it's not workable on current surfaces

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Sep 25th, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #20
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertine69 View Post
I really don't think this is something that is confined to women, and some of the posts in here about men having more "sport intelligence" are seriously worrying...
Uhh maybe because it's 100% true? Shot selection, variety, hand-eye coordination etc. have nothing to do physically.

It's common sense females lack the technical understanding required in most sports compared with the men. The only sport I seen where the girls have just as high quality as the men is in badminton (the chinese girls in olympics looked really good ).

It's harder to understand why that is though. Maybe it's the upbringing (boys play more sports) or maybe it is evolutionary. Whatever it is, it's clearly there.

And I'm not trying to be sexist, it's just the truth. I'm not saying women are dumber, infact on average they are smarter then men, but just not in sports.

And yes, Djokovic is incredibly shit at the net . Worst top men player I ever seen at the net.

Last edited by binky-GOAT : Sep 25th, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #21
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Timmykinz View Post
I think its because they try to go for too much to try and end the point with a winner. The men may take something off the easy putaway to make sure it goes in and then they prepare for their opponent to make a return shot. The women just don't seem to want to chase down a passing shot, running all the way to the back of the court, they'd rather finish the point then and there and so will sometimes go for too much.
You make sense for once.

Many WTA players suck at net not just because their technique is suspect, but more importantly because they do not think ahead when they come in. Coming to net on a decentish approach is as aggressive a move as possible, short of hitting a Mach 1.0 winner. Your opponent is under pressure, and you need to make them play under it, so just go for a solid shot and prepare for the next ball. Instead, most go for a huge groundstroke and look amazed when they miss it.

Thereafter they are forever divorced from the net.
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #22
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

The main culprits here are the players whose games are built around smacking every ball as hard as they possibly can. When the sensible thing to do is dink it into the open court, that would require a complete change of mindset and attitude so they just belt it. The drive volley is another example. It is the default volley for many women pros but it's a very risky shot and more often than not inadvisable if the player possesses half decent net skills.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #23
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Hingis? Navratilova? Evert? Graf? Henin? no way they are inferiour in their techniques and gameplay to Del Potro and Berdych.

Just change the surface to the one Pat Rafter and Ivanishevic were playing on and Nadals/Djokovices will be in trouble playing vs Rosols ......

For girls surface is not that much important, because even slow surface arranged for men tour is still pretty quick to let power hitters beat all-court players.

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #24
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
men are just better at sports.
It depends on what you mean by "better." Men are still mostly stronger and faster but they are not more skilful. Another thing is that over the past two decades, women's strength and speed has increased more than that of men.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #25
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Hingis? Navratilova? Evert? Graf? Henin? no way they are inferiour in their techniques and gameplay to Del Potro and Berdych.
Not only "not inferior" but far superior. Of course Del Petro, Berdych, etc are much stronger and faster.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #26
country flag pov

I think the whole premise of this thread is off. Women do not miss so many easy hits. A few spectacular clunkers here and there.

People are always on about something. A couple years ago it was why were women DFing so much.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #27
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
It depends on what you mean by "better." Men are still mostly stronger and faster but they are not more skilful. Another thing is that over the past two decades, women's strength and speed has increased more than that of men.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #28
country flag NashaMasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Not only "not inferior" but far superior. Of course Del Petro, Berdych, etc are much stronger and faster.
exactly, but ATPfans are still sure that ATP tour consists of 100 Federers and that all-court player with best techniques can't lose to "one dementional" player. It's not true, Soderlings and Berdychs still can beat anyone. Moreover players are too often called one-dementional if this player has something in his game which stands out. Player with big serve = servebot, player with powerful hawkeyeshots down the line from both hands = ballbasher etc, player with great anticipation and movement = pusher...... It's not always true , I'd say it's more often false

AS for the topic, In women tennis it's just easier for powerful players to be at the top because the power difference between big girls and the rest of the tour is very huge....

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player

Last edited by NashaMasha : Sep 25th, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #29
country flag binky-GOAT

You people are unbelievable

Most women can't even play a slice, let alone have skill even close to a mens future player.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #30
country flag NoChokes

NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of

It's a power thing. Less power = less margin for error = more missed balls.

KOB
NoChokes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote