PSY - Gangnam Style (South Korean smash single) - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 19th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #61
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PSY - Gangnam Style (South Korean smash single)

This song is utter shit. Why are people buying it?

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 19th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #62
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

Nominated for Best Video at the European MTV Music Awards, and rolled past 220m views today with no signs of slowing down anytime soon
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #63
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an interesting article that gives some context to Psy's "Gangnam Style," pointing out some of the issues in South Korea that are brought out in the song and that some posters here have been discussing. Maybe some have something to add to or correct in the article. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #64
country flag SidTheKid

SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future SidTheKid has a brilliant future

Better than Bieber and 1D combined still really bad

and few others

#20 #8 #1 #3
SidTheKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #65
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
Here is an interesting article that gives some context to Psy's "Gangnam Style," pointing out some of the issues in South Korea that are brought out in the song and that some posters here have been discussing. Maybe some have something to add to or correct in the article. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.
It's a good article. The stuff about people overusing credit cards is completely true. As the article says, each adult has about 4-5 credit cards. The number among some young women is much higher. You'll see them sliding close to a dozen credit cards out of their wallets at times, trying to recall which one they can use and which one they can't!

The article keeps calling Gangnam a neighborhood! It's not! A dong is a neighborhood and there is a Gangnam-dong but a gu is a district and the song is about the district. Gangnam-dong is probably the most commercial part of Gangnam-gu and it's arguably the most famous dong in all of Korea but other parts of Gangnam-gu like Apgujeong and Cheongdam typify "Gangnam" a little more (especially some of the things the article mentions) It's so true about people skimping on the essentials to afford luxuries and coffee shops are EVERYWHERE in Korea! There were about 5 Tom N Tom's coffee shops, 2 or 3 Starbucks, Café Java and a couple of Café Benes withing walking distance of my apt and those were just the ones I can remember and also just ones that were part of chains. Coffee shops are places to hangout 1) because apartments are too small to welcome visitors very often 2) because they are seen as somewhat trendy because of how popular they are made out to be in American movies and tv programs.

It's also true that people in Gangnam tend to be trust fund kids rather than self-made millionaires but the Korea's true elite still see Gangnam as a "new money" area.

I'm not sure if Psy's video is intended to be satirical or subversive. Most Koreans can't even grasp the concept of sarcasm, let alone satire! Also, one look at a Korean variety show will give you a sense of how infantile and straaaanggee Korean sense of humour is...

For example: Choco Boy - "That's Very Hot"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJlucj5JQ-U

I suppose this was subversive in a way since these performers were clearly trying to get Koreans to be more gay-friendly or more comfortable with "camp" but if Koreans really knew what this act was intended to be they (as a society) would not like it ONE BIT. This was a family show. Some of my really young students used to do that little grind/dance and say "that's very hot" and I was always like, "please stop...please."

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #66
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...xmhhnmOFY&NR=1

Weird, just...weird. I understand Koreans better than most, better than some Korean Americans, even but I will never, ever, ever even come close to understanding their comedy.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 01:09 AM   #67
Setsuna.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Forever Chakvetadze
Setsuna. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM   #68
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Psy is really milking it, isn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
oh no, simon cowell called it fantastic and amazing.

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 09:02 AM   #69
country flag rrfnpump

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Most Koreans can't even grasp the concept of sarcasm, let alone satire! Also, one look at a Korean variety show will give you a sense of how infantile and straaaanggee Korean sense of humour is...
I so know what you mean. It's the same for Japanese.
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 12:28 PM   #70
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this guy perform live on Ellen the other day Hilarious stuff
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #71
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCourt~Rally View Post
I saw this guy perform live on Ellen the other day Hilarious stuff
I prefer the one done by Korean mom and son duo.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM   #72
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
It's a good article. The stuff about people overusing credit cards is completely true. As the article says, each adult has about 4-5 credit cards. The number among some young women is much higher. You'll see them sliding close to a dozen credit cards out of their wallets at times, trying to recall which one they can use and which one they can't!

The article keeps calling Gangnam a neighborhood! It's not! A dong is a neighborhood and there is a Gangnam-dong but a gu is a district and the song is about the district. Gangnam-dong is probably the most commercial part of Gangnam-gu and it's arguably the most famous dong in all of Korea but other parts of Gangnam-gu like Apgujeong and Cheongdam typify "Gangnam" a little more (especially some of the things the article mentions) It's so true about people skimping on the essentials to afford luxuries and coffee shops are EVERYWHERE in Korea! There were about 5 Tom N Tom's coffee shops, 2 or 3 Starbucks, Café Java and a couple of Café Benes withing walking distance of my apt and those were just the ones I can remember and also just ones that were part of chains. Coffee shops are places to hangout 1) because apartments are too small to welcome visitors very often 2) because they are seen as somewhat trendy because of how popular they are made out to be in American movies and tv programs.

It's also true that people in Gangnam tend to be trust fund kids rather than self-made millionaires but the Korea's true elite still see Gangnam as a "new money" area.

I'm not sure if Psy's video is intended to be satirical or subversive. Most Koreans can't even grasp the concept of sarcasm, let alone satire! Also, one look at a Korean variety show will give you a sense of how infantile and straaaanggee Korean sense of humour is...

For example: Choco Boy - "That's Very Hot"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJlucj5JQ-U

I suppose this was subversive in a way since these performers were clearly trying to get Koreans to be more gay-friendly or more comfortable with "camp" but if Koreans really knew what this act was intended to be they (as a society) would not like it ONE BIT. This was a family show. Some of my really young students used to do that little grind/dance and say "that's very hot" and I was always like, "please stop...please."
Thanks for your comments. So, you don't think Psy is satirizing or perhaps mocking this way of life? Is he trying to elevate or glamorize it? Very interesting. Someone could write a thesis on the subject of Korean musical acts.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 11:55 PM   #73
country flag rrfnpump

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute rrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 12:17 AM   #74
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfnpump View Post

R.I.P. Bally
Sammo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:22 PM   #75
country flag New_balls_please

New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute New_balls_please has a reputation beyond repute

I was at this flash mob yesterday

I hope you guys like the vid