Donna Vekic - Page 153 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #2281
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Majoli in Charleston 2002, before which Talaja won Strassbourg in 2000.
After more than 10 years waiting we were so close this year in Kuala Lumpur and now in Taskhent! Hope next year it will come end to our waiting after 11 (!!!!) years!
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2282
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

After waiting a little bit for everything to sink in, I probably have something wiser to say now (or let's at least hope so).

This match was won on experience first and foremost, and only than by playing well. Begu was mixing her game too much for Donna to successfuly adapt, and she also wasn't able to force her own game plan into the match, so things couldn't have gone much different in the end. As Donna's fitness coach was saying during a live coverage on one of the national tv stations, if Donna was to win the match, the only way to do it would've been to dictate points, and she let her opponent take charge all too often.

Donna's game definately wasn't at the level of yesterday, not to mention the day before that. It could be that she was too tired to think straight, as she seemed to rush a little more, often forgeting to take the towel between points and do similar tricks which could've help her calm down and regain focus somewhat before continuing. But overall her mental strenght again showed in a really great manner, and she again seemed like a much older competitor out there.

But one thing that struck me during the match is Donna's inability or unwilingness to come forward, even when there's every reason to do so. She would, for example, many times send a really good groundstroke over to the other side, and Begu barely got to it, but instead of coming forward and finishing the point, Donna waited at the baseline only to eventually lose the point. This happened more than a few times today, and I think her team should point it out to her. Of course, these are the situations where inexperience usually shows, especially when players are still sort of fresh from playing junior tennis, which does tend to boil down to moonballing more often than not.

Lack of focus and initiative from Donna at 4-4 in the 2nd was the breaking point I think, as Begu was really giving her another chance. Who knows what might've been if she were more ready for that sort of situation, but after playing so many matches and reaching a whole other level of success, there's really not much we can hold against her today. Hardly anything. Sure, it would've been great to see her lift that trophy, but she is still very deep in the learning process and will need a lot of time to be ready for major achievements. As her fitness coach said today, eventhough they're not happy about this loss, they're aware that this is just one more step in her journey to the top. They are not bothered too much with points and rankings, but are trying to give Donna everything that she needs in order to properly develop into a world-class player. He said that's the main objective for 2012 and 2013 - experience, experience and more experience.

So we're at the end of a really wonderful week, and it'll be strange to wake up tomorrow and realise that we won't be watching Donna play But I think we'll be watching her often enough in not too distant future and dearly remember this result.

Great job Vekic team
ma re is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2283
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Btw, was I the only one who failed to notice Donna's awesome profile picture on the WTA website, or is this a new thing

Anyway, the photo is simply...
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #2284
country flag Dan_Doe

Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future Dan_Doe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Btw, was I the only one who failed to notice Donna's awesome profile picture on the WTA website, or is this a new thing

Anyway, the photo is simply...
I checked her profile on the WTA website yesterday or the day before, and the picture field was blank. And yes, awesome picture
Dan_Doe is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #2285
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

She was a bit tight today, but it's a great learning experience for her. Does anyone know where she is playing next?
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2286
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
She was a bit tight today, but it's a great learning experience for her. Does anyone know where she is playing next?
All her FC said was that she'll spend the next three weeks on and around practice courts, but beyond that, no details.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2287
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Well done to her. At 16 she's achieved more than some players years older than her. If she can stay int he game and continue to grow as a player she could go onto great things.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #2288
country flag paulmara

paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute paulmara has a reputation beyond repute

paulmara is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #2289
country flag doujyr

doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of

THE best photo of Donna online! there's something about this photo, can't quite figure it out ....

http://www.donnavekic.com/wp-content...012/04/006.jpg
doujyr is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #2290
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Doe View Post
a tournament won at this age would've put a lot of pressure on Donna's shoulders and god knows if she could've bear the weight. Lots of talented girls failed at it. A loss, on the other hand, should give her the motivation to continue improving and repeat this performance sooner than later.
I agree with this 100%. A WTA title at her age could easily have been too much. I think even a final--or even a SF--is too much. I would have been perfectly happy with a QF.

Donna is clearly in the spotlight now (she now has 7,000 FB fans). Let's hope it's not too much pressure. Yes, she appears very strong, poised and confident but let's not forget that she's still a child, really.

Donna has an amazing future. It's very exciting to watch.
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #2291
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Donna from 183 to 121 this week
networthy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #2292
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
Yes, she appears very strong, poised and confident but let's not forget that she's still a child, really.
Actually I think it's quite hard to forget about that; first you see those broad shoulders and strong arms and a six feet tall frame...and then you see the face of a baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by networthy View Post
Donna from 183 to 121 this week
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #2293
country flag vladekCRO

vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold

Her next tournament will be $100,000 Suzhou (08 October - 14 October 2012)

vladekCRO is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #2294
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladekCRO View Post
Her next tournament will be $100,000 Suzhou (08 October - 14 October 2012)
Good choice; still a strong field, nice points on offer and no need to qualify. It's right after the Beijing masters event so the draw probably won't be as competitive as, for example, in that Chinese 100k played last week (top seeds were Hsieh and Minella), but even with that it'll be competitive enough for a player like Donna. The surface is, of course, outdoor hardcourt - no surprise there
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #2295
country flag vladekCRO

vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold

And on last week 100 000 + H tournament eight seeded player had rank about 130 and there is good chance that Donna will be seeded
vladekCRO is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread