News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #196
country flag joe80

joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice joe80 is just really nice
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
How many in Sweden watch C More Sport as they both have football. Speedway, Ice hockey and now Tennis, so many pays...

Ithink it 399 a month, I tryed see on cmore.se yesterday...
That's correct, CMore's web service csports.se costs 399SEK a month. But keep in mind their rival Viasat's web service viaplay.se costs 199SEK and their package includes movies and other tv shows on-demand aswell. Cmore owns the Swedish football & Swedish hockey(only the top leagues), Swedish Speedway, La Liga, Serie A, MLB, ATP+Wimbledon. Viasat owns the Premier League, Champions League, NHL, NFL, Formula1, Nascar, MotoGP, Speedway GP, Eurobasket+basketball championships, all the golf men and women. Outside of the tennis, I'm pretty sure what I'd rather be paying for. Yet Viasat is only half the price. On TV, CMore(sports only) costs 399SEK and Viasat(sports only) costs 288SEK. So the differnce is pretty big there too. I should say that you need basic cable first though, so it's more than that in total even if you just want the sport.

Anyway, Let's face it. No one buys an expensive TV deal just for tennis in Sweden these days. The sport is all but dead for the wider audience. Cmore doesn't pay particularly much for those rights(a handfull of SEK millions per year, not more), so there's not exactly a bidding war going on with the tennis in Sweden. And that's the ATP which is a 1000 times more popular here, since we haven't had a top WTA player, well since forever. I can't imagine anyone taking on the WTA for other than peanuts.

What I'm hoping? That no one picks the WTA up. TennisTV is a very good service for a reasonable amount of money, that blocks Europe out when it comes to the bigger WTA tournaments. They already show all the ATP500+1000+select 250s and select WTA Internationals in Europe. If they would show the WTA Premier tournaments aswell it's all but a complete product. They also have the matches on-demand and the service works with iphones and ipads. That would be the best imo, rather than Cmore buying it and then burrying it in their expensive sports package.
joe80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #197
country flag cogent53

cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
What I've heard, Eurosport has national contracts. I guess it's obvious that the WTA won't be shown in many ES-countries after this year. There's even a chance that it won't be shown anywhere by Eurosport. But who is gonna show it then? I think the WTA is overpricing their product. Maybe some station will pick it up in France, and maybe some small station will pick it up in Spain. No one will buy it in Germany, I can't see anyone in the UK being too interested.

Eurosport was pretty much the best thing that the WTA had. In the long run this isn't good news for the women's game.

Eurosport has shown hundreds of hours of tennis for many years. I doubt they would show only three Grand Slams next year? That would sound very odd. Maybe they'll buy some smaller ATP tournaments and a few WTA tournaments.
I am devastated by the news that the WTA won't be on Eurosport. I love the British Eurosport commentators. Yes, sometimes the coverage gets shoved around, but I've been able to watch my favourite players in most of their matches - with careful watching of the schedules!
Unfortunately, the WTA is NOT a huge market to British fans. Mens tennis is more popular for some strange reason and Eurosport's coverage has meant us devoted followers have been able to keep up.
Reading all the messages on this thread, the European market for Womens tennis on tv is going to be a huge mess, and that is a HUGE mistake from the WTA. Not sure if they are trying to get more money or if ES are cutting back on their tennis coverage, but it is a big blow.

UK people - any news? ESPN UK might be a decent choice but they seem to have a pretty full schedule already? Even if it is just the tier I events, hopefully we'll get something outside of the slams.

Elena Dementieva Angelique Kerber Amelie Mauresmo Sabine Lisicki
Simona Halep
Sam Stosur Andrea Petkovic Svetlana Kuznetsova Maria Sharapova Yaroslava Shvedova

cogent53 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #198
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute

that's exactly what shouldn't have happened ES showed a lot of tennis throughout the past years and it was the best way to follow even smaller tournaments...the only "bad" coverage was the one of slams as they always favourite men's matches on both channels and this is the only coverage that will stay
I hope that Sky buys the rights at this point, they do such a great work with ATP and Wimbledon already, at least in Italy

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #199
country flag Monzanator
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute Monzanator has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, ATP is the superior product, whoever has the chance to get that, will never think twice over losing WTA in the proccess. One might moan about Simon and Tipsarevic remarks but the hard reality is, ATP steals all the spotlight.
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent 2012; (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14
Monzanator is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #200
country flag Sisyphus

Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute Sisyphus has a reputation beyond repute

The WTA is just shooting itself in the general abdominal area.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #201
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe80 View Post
That's correct, CMore's web service csports.se costs 399SEK a month. But keep in mind their rival Viasat's web service viaplay.se costs 199SEK and their package includes movies and other tv shows on-demand aswell. Cmore owns the Swedish football & Swedish hockey(only the top leagues), Swedish Speedway, La Liga, Serie A, MLB, ATP+Wimbledon. Viasat owns the Premier League, Champions League, NHL, NFL, Formula1, Nascar, MotoGP, Speedway GP, Eurobasket+basketball championships, all the golf men and women. Outside of the tennis, I'm pretty sure what I'd rather be paying for. Yet Viasat is only half the price. On TV, CMore(sports only) costs 399SEK and Viasat(sports only) costs 288SEK. So the differnce is pretty big there too. I should say that you need basic cable first though, so it's more than that in total even if you just want the sport.

Anyway, Let's face it. No one buys an expensive TV deal just for tennis in Sweden these days. The sport is all but dead for the wider audience. Cmore doesn't pay particularly much for those rights(a handfull of SEK millions per year, not more), so there's not exactly a bidding war going on with the tennis in Sweden. And that's the ATP which is a 1000 times more popular here, since we haven't had a top WTA player, well since forever. I can't imagine anyone taking on the WTA for other than peanuts.

What I'm hoping? That no one picks the WTA up. TennisTV is a very good service for a reasonable amount of money, that blocks Europe out when it comes to the bigger WTA tournaments. They already show all the ATP500+1000+select 250s and select WTA Internationals in Europe. If they would show the WTA Premier tournaments aswell it's all but a complete product. They also have the matches on-demand and the service works with iphones and ipads. That would be the best imo, rather than Cmore buying it and then burrying it in their expensive sports package.
sorry, this is confusing. TennisTV is an online streaming service, it has nothign to do with television broadcasting... And only reason it was banned from Europe is because Eurosport bought the online streaming rights for Europe and they have their own Eurosport Player.
Of course in theory its possible that WTA will sell the television AND online streaming rights to the same broadcaster, but very little chance I think.

IMO, considering Perform helps WTA to distribute media rights this year and Perform runs TennisTV... almost 100% that WTA Premiers will be on TennisTV in Europe too from next year.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #202
country flag xzchief

xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all xzchief is a name known to all

The WTA is going to learn precisely where it stands in the sporting world. Fans might not like the answer.
xzchief is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #203
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzchief View Post
The WTA is going to learn precisely where it stands in the sporting world. Fans might not like the answer.
Sadly, I have to agree with this. Even if people say the WTA was selling rights to Eurosport "under-value", I just don't see where the demand from other broadcasters is going to come from
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #204
country flag Pep Guti

Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold Pep Guti is a splendid one to behold

In Spain, as a Eurosport journalist friend of mine commented me, the TV rights will almost certainly to TVE (Televisión Española), public television through an intermediary. Eurosort Spain will broadcast some WTA International tournaments and perhaps some small WTA Premier like Moscow, Stanford or Brussels.

A Ivanovic - A Petkovic - S Williams - A Radwanska - M Bartoli

http://www.puntodebreak.com/

Twitter - @Pep_Guti
Pep Guti is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #205
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzchief View Post
There is more to the sporting world the broadcasting rights, you know. WTA tournament attendance and total revenue shows that the WTA isn't doing badly, and that the WTA is closer to the ATP than the ATP is to say American football or soccer. So save being down on the WTA when we don't even know what's going on yet.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #206
country flag Gangstress

Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light Gangstress is a glorious beacon of light

Ugh when will I hear Jo Durie now?
Gangstress is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #207
country flag Hedberg

Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep Guti View Post
Eurosort Spain will broadcast some WTA International tournaments and perhaps some small WTA Premier like Moscow, Stanford or Brussels.
Again, it's almost certain Eurosport has to show at least some tennis during the year. But WTA International tournaments sound very odd. It has to be semifinals or finals, because the fields are very weak. In that case they should probably show some ATP 250 tournaments. Maybe that's their plan next season. Try to figure which ATP 250's and WTA Internationals are the best and have the best field? Eurosport already shows ATP Doha and ATP Queens which have quite good entries. Which WTA tournaments are the strongest? Some indoor events like Linz?
Hedberg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #208
country flag -NAJ-

-NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute -NAJ- has a reputation beyond repute

maybe WTA wants to provide fans live Tv coverage for night matches.
Eurosport didn't show night matches live.
In Serbia SportKlub is broadcasting ATP tour and they are doing night matches live.

btw Eurosport won't show live Tokyo SF's & Final

WTA & ES are still in negotiations, so I won't be supriced if they make some agreement to show premier events in 2013. Who knows what might happen in next few months
-NAJ- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #209
country flag Bronx19

Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of Bronx19 has much to be proud of

They dont even show it now, who cares.
Bronx19 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #210
country flag Hedberg

Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice Hedberg is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
A dane said without he has a good source that Canal 8 Sport in Danmark has got the Rights in Danmark, I will try call them tomorrow! But that will mean it won't be on ES in 2013.
Any news or comments?
Hedberg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote