Music Thread - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #16
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Music Thread

I honestly completely forgot about that already.. I love how it was never talked about again..at all

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #17
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Can you even buy "Oxygen?" I thought that it was supposed to be a charity thing but if you can't buy it how does it make money?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #18
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Can you even buy "Oxygen?" I thought that it was supposed to be a charity thing but if you can't buy it how does it make money?
I think it was released in Poland, it was pretty much a Polish thing as the video was shot in Poland and it was to benefit Caro's Polish camp thingy.

My guess is that the response to it was rather underwhelming so everybody decided to forget about it

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #19
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe you can download it on iTunes?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #20
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Anything that starts with the Phil Collins era (so 1979 onwards)
Actually the first album to feature Phil as the lead singer was A Tick of the Tail which was released in 1976.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #21
country flag postalblowfish

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Generally Overkill and Ace of Spades are hailed as Motorhead's two best albums. Give them a listen, if you don't enjoy them it is probably fair to say that you will not enjoy anything else by them.
Aye, I gave some of it a try, it's aight. Probably not my personal kinda thing though.

Quote:
If you haven't heard it definitely give Weezer's first album a listen. It's a lot more poppy and "straight" than Pinkerton which is kind of their "weird" album but a lot of people consider it their best and most of their subsequent albums have been lesser versions of the first one. You may also be interested in Return of the Rentals which was a side project by the bass player (Matt Sharp).
The first Weezer record, or at least, some of its songs, was where I started with them. It's only after I've got more into Pixies that I noticed their influence, especially on tracks like Undone (The Sweater Song). My Weezer thing may be largely a passing phase though. I tend to go through those.

Quote:
I'm a horrible Canadian as I don't listen to many native bands. Maybe Sloan? They are kind of in a similar vein to Teenage Fanclub. The first album (Smeared) was kind of My Bloody Valentine influenced, after that they moved into a power pop sound. I would recommend Twice Removed, One Chord to Another, Navy Blues or Between the Bridges. I still really like the second Philosopher Kings album (Famous, Rich and Beautiful) but that is much more in the pop/funk vein. A buddy of mine is a big fan of Matt Mays. He kind of sounds like early seventies Neil Young and maybe Tom Petty. Matt Mays + El Torpedo is probably his best album. I quite liked the first album by Robin Black and the Intergalactic Rock Stars (Planet: Fame). Glam rock with a bit of punk mixed in. Nothing groundbreaking but it was refreshing to hear something like that when it was first released roughly ten years ago. I'm probably forgetting some obvious picks here. I never really saw the appeal but bands like the Tragically Hip and Blue Rodeo have been very popular in Canada for years without really having any significant success outside the country. Sigh, I'm not doing a very good job of selling my people, if the fine folks at the Canadian Tourism Commission read this post they would strongly consider evicting me from the country.
There's a lot of stuff there to check out. I'll give some of it a go and find out how I get on. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Canadian bands ... I listen to a lot of Saga in my youth. Yep. I am sure most of you will have to google them #generationgap
Just gave a bit of their stuff a try. Intersting that Jimmie mentioned Genesis since they don't seem that far distant musically from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I like pop/rock/soul and the rest of it, but also jazz. And I'm in a big way into classical music, including opera as well.
Would that include a certain Miles Davis?
postalblowfish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #22
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, some Hiromi. She's a Japanese girl and one of the best and most popular pianists in contemporary jazz. Here she does a jazzed up version of the old baroque piece "Canon in D" by Pachelbel. Classical music lovers, and probably most others as well will recognize it. But if not, here's just a minute of it to familiarize yourself with the tune.

And here's Hiromi's jazzed up version. At the start she even makes her piano sound like a harpsichord, which was of course a key instrument of the baroque period. Further on she really starts to kick butt and gets ultra-virtuosic. Amazing stuff, although I expect that most of you will probably not like it.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #23
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalblowfish View Post
Would that include a certain Miles Davis?
Definitely.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #24

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future

Quote:
And here's Hiromi's jazzed up version. At the start she even makes her piano sound like a harpsichord, which was of course a key instrument of the baroque period. Further on she really starts to kick butt and gets ultra-virtuosic. Amazing stuff, although I expect that most of you will probably not like it.

One of the most interesting things about her version is the range of musical genres she gives a nod to during the performance. I think there was even a bit of traditional French folk-style in there towards the end. Be interesting to know how much of that was truly improv (my assumption is most of it, a least to a degree).

Loved the foot stamp partway through too.

r.e. Miles Davis, what's your favourite record?
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #25
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Miles Davis, what's your favourite record?
It inevitably has to be "Kind of Blue", but I love "Sketches of Spain" just as much.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #26
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some initial points for discussion:
This is not the sort of thread where I'd be a valuable contributor,but I decided to make one,token visit when I saw that YOU were the OP since you're sort of a role model for decent comportment here at TF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYd088V6NOE

We've all heard the myths of the supposed greatness of the Beatles and the Stones despite their puny record sales,but the REAL leader of the 'British Invasion' was the maestro above whom you'll catch at about the 8:45 mark.......It's none other than the nonpareil legend Enoch Simpson with his incomparable,'England!England!England!'

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

JUSTICIA PARA LAS NORMALISTAS!! Pena de muerte para todos los narcos en Mexico!
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #27
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Old Sep 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #28
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just gave a bit of their stuff a try. Intersting that Jimmie mentioned Genesis since they don't seem that far distant musically from each other.
I think it's fair to say, a lot of bands from the mid 70's and up into the 80's have a similar sound.

All from the north American rock/pop scene.

ELO, Boston, Chicago, Saga, Toto, Genesis, Supertramp .. pops into me head. There'll be loads more.

British scene had a lot more edge to it. This was of course a wonderful time before Simon Cowell .. Sex Pistols, Clash ..

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #29

Quote:
It inevitably has to be "Kind of Blue", but I love "Sketches of Spain" just as much.
Kind of Blue I've already given a try. Is Sketches of Spain in a similar vein?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
This is not the sort of thread where I'd be a valuable contributor,but I decided to make one,token visit when I saw that YOU were the OP since you're sort of a role model for decent comportment here at TF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYd088V6NOE

We've all heard the myths of the supposed greatness of the Beatles and the Stones despite their puny record sales,but the REAL leader of the 'British Invasion' was the maestro above whom you'll catch at about the 8:45 mark.......It's none other than the nonpareil legend Enoch Simpson with his incomparable,'England!England!England!'
You're gonna keep plugging this, aren't you? Props.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
I think it's fair to say, a lot of bands from the mid 70's and up into the 80's have a similar sound.

All from the north American rock/pop scene.

ELO, Boston, Chicago, Saga, Toto, Genesis, Supertramp .. pops into me head. There'll be loads more.

British scene had a lot more edge to it. This was of course a wonderful time before Simon Cowell .. Sex Pistols, Clash ..
Interesting you mentioned Boston in that lot, since tracks like More Than A Feeling I woulda said were less experimental, if you like, than perhaps Genesis and what I heard of Saga. Sorta more straight-up rock structure.

Not that I'm in any way an expert, of course.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #30
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Quote:
Actually the first album to feature Phil as the lead singer was A Tick of the Tail which was released in 1976.
You`re right of course. But that pretty much still had the old Gabriel-inspired Genesis sound, they only started to move into the new direction with "And then there were Three".

I know that Genesis fans are mostly split, those who like the Gabriel-driven Progressive Rock stuff hate their later albums and others find their earlier work hard to get into and I would be a part of the latter group. The progressive rock stuff isn't bad, it's just not my cup of tea too much.

It might have a lot do with the fact that I like Phil Collins as a solo artist as well. His 90s work for Disney was pretty crap and sold bad for a reason but in the mid 80s, when "No Jacket Required" came out, he really was one of the biggest guys in music and there's a reason his albums sold like hotcakes during these days.

I've been listening to it for the past 20+ years and I just get back to it every time because it's so well made, him and Genesis really had that 80s drum-sound perfected.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter