Music Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1
country flag postalblowfish

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future
Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalblowfish View Post
We should start a Woz forum music thread one day, DIAH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
If you get the ball rolling I will be happy to follow.
So yeah. ^Youbettasticktothat.

Some initial points for discussion:

1) Are Motorhead overrated?

2) Sparky's Dream by Teenage Fanclub is basically one of the best songs ever written.

3) I decided to give Pinkerton a go yesterday and I really like it so far.
postalblowfish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Music Thread

How much time did it take you to dig up those quotes?

I was seriously considering starting this thread myself but you were a bit scarce lately and I didn't want to steal your thunder.

1) In some circles they may be overrated, there really hasn't been much growth over the last thirty-five years, but their albums are consistently good if not great. The peaks may not be as high as they once were but the lows are fairly rare. I would happily take any of their later albums over a new Judas Priest or Iron Maiden album.

2) I'm ashamed to admit that I am unqualified to address this one. I do have most of their albums but am not as familiar with them as I ought to be. I shall dust off my copy of Grand Prix and get back to you on this one.

3) For me Pinkerton was definitely a grower. I was disappointed at first but now I really dig it. There was a time years ago when I could relate to "Pink Triangle" to an uncomfortably large degree.

For those that are curious:

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)

Last edited by DownInAHole : Sep 11th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

A music thread ..

Okies ... I just watched the first episode of new The Voice US ..

When compared to the cr@p Cowell and ITV produces in the UK, The Voice US is from another planet.

No ploy to deliberate belittle and humiliate contestants. No female chav judges only there to make up the numbers and show their tits.

The contestants not picked in The Voice US were treated in a respectful and dignified manner ... and most of them also got a hug from Xtina (I'm applying for season 4!!).

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #4
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Chrissie-fan, if you are out there this thread is begging to hear your thoughts on the new Bob Dylan album. As a loyal fan you no doubt rushed out to your local wrecka stow and picked up a copy today (I'm assuming the release date is the same for you as it is for me). Of course you will need a few days to digest it and develop an opinion but once you do let us know what you think.

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #5
country flag postalblowfish

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future

Quote:
How much time did it take you to dig up those quotes?
Just went back through my posting history. Like you alluded to, I've not been around that much lately so they were a few pages back.

Quote:
1) In some circles they may be overrated, there really hasn't been much growth over the last thirty-five years, but their albums are consistently good if not great. The peaks may not be as high as they once were but the lows are fairly rare. I would happily take any of their later albums over a new Judas Priest or Iron Maiden album.
I only really know one of their songs, just sorta occurred to me that I didn't really know much else they've done. Bear in mind my knowledge of metal sorta limits itself to early 90s NY hardcore-crossover (post Youth of Today, pre-Earth Crisis' second album when that screamy stuff with the breakdowns sorta came in), a bit of late 80s thrash and some pretty terrible records by hardcore punk bands from the early 80s that 'went metal' (Void's one, and SSD's latter two are a couple of examples). I don't know quite how much I'd dig Motorhead, even their earlier stuff.

Quote:
3) For me Pinkerton was definitely a grower. I was disappointed at first but now I really dig it. There was a time years ago when I could relate to "Pink Triangle" to an uncomfortably large degree.
I've known about Weezer for years and years but I hadn't really got into them that much until more recently. Pinkerton's probably the best I've come across so far, although I haven't listened to all their material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
A music thread ..

Okies ... I just watched the first episode of new The Voice US ..

When compared to the cr@p Cowell and ITV produces in the UK, The Voice US is from another planet.

No ploy to deliberate belittle and humiliate contestants. No female chav judges only there to make up the numbers and show their tits.

The contestants not picked in The Voice US were treated in a respectful and dignified manner ... and most of them also got a hug from Xtina (I'm applying for season 4!!).
I think in general the American public's not so big on public humiliation as some of the British seem to be. Possibly a cultural thing.

I dunno if the female chav judges thing was specifically about anyone in particular, but I'm sorta a reasonable fan of Tulisa's, given that in interviews and stuff with her she seems to have a pretty humble outlook on life.

Also: DIAH. Best Canadian bands? I'd pick The Nils, The Weakerthans, SNFU and maybe some of Propaghandi's stuff. At least from what I know about Canadian music, which isn't particularly extensive.
postalblowfish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #6
country flag DownInAHole

Generally Overkill and Ace of Spades are hailed as Motorhead's two best albums. Give them a listen, if you don't enjoy them it is probably fair to say that you will not enjoy anything else by them.

If you haven't heard it definitely give Weezer's first album a listen. It's a lot more poppy and "straight" than Pinkerton which is kind of their "weird" album but a lot of people consider it their best and most of their subsequent albums have been lesser versions of the first one. You may also be interested in Return of the Rentals which was a side project by the bass player (Matt Sharp).

I'm a horrible Canadian as I don't listen to many native bands. Maybe Sloan? They are kind of in a similar vein to Teenage Fanclub. The first album (Smeared) was kind of My Bloody Valentine influenced, after that they moved into a power pop sound. I would recommend Twice Removed, One Chord to Another, Navy Blues or Between the Bridges. I still really like the second Philosopher Kings album (Famous, Rich and Beautiful) but that is much more in the pop/funk vein. A buddy of mine is a big fan of Matt Mays. He kind of sounds like early seventies Neil Young and maybe Tom Petty. Matt Mays + El Torpedo is probably his best album. I quite liked the first album by Robin Black and the Intergalactic Rock Stars (Planet: Fame). Glam rock with a bit of punk mixed in. Nothing groundbreaking but it was refreshing to hear something like that when it was first released roughly ten years ago. I'm probably forgetting some obvious picks here. I never really saw the appeal but bands like the Tragically Hip and Blue Rodeo have been very popular in Canada for years without really having any significant success outside the country. Sigh, I'm not doing a very good job of selling my people, if the fine folks at the Canadian Tourism Commission read this post they would strongly consider evicting me from the country.

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #7
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalblowfish View Post
I dunno if the female chav judges thing was specifically about anyone in particular, but I'm sorta a reasonable fan of Tulisa's, given that in interviews and stuff with her she seems to have a pretty humble outlook on life.
Indeed her in particular. We'll just agree to disagree

Canadian bands ... I listen to a lot of Saga in my youth. Yep. I am sure most of you will have to google them #generationgap

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #8
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Indeed her in particular. We'll just agree to disagree

Canadian bands ... I listen to a lot of Saga in my youth. Yep. I am sure most of you will have to google them #generationgap
I played a lot of Sega in my youth. I guess that's not quite the same thing.

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #9
country flag TennisFan66

Quote:
I played a lot of Sega in my youth. I guess that's not quite the same thing.
Ha! Not quite the same. I remember one of my friends got a zx81 spectrum for xmas. Wow. That was some machine. We programmed it to make a little dot bounce around the screen

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #10
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

You youngsters with your modern music..... Genesis is the best band ever, there..I said it!

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #11
country flag TennisFan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
You youngsters with your modern music..... Genesis is the best band ever, there..I said it!
I am huge fan too, but 'best band ever' ... I am finding it difficult to even pick a top 5, let alone a top 1 ...

Who's big in Germany these days?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #12
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Seventies progressive rock Genesis or eighties pop Genesis?

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #13
country flag Jimmie48
Killer Queen

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Anything that starts with the Phil Collins era (so 1979 onwards)

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #14
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a pretty broad taste in music. You guys will probably find some of my favorite stuff unlistenable while you'll like some of my other faves. Every now and then I may post some youtubes that may fall into either of those two categories. But to be honest, I'm completely clueless as to what other people like, I only know what I like myself.

I like pop/rock/soul and the rest of it, but also jazz. And I'm in a big way into classical music, including opera as well.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #15
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
lol I thought this is about Caro's music
We know it's a masterpiece, but an entire thread about "Oxygen" is maybe a bit too much of a good thing. We'll consider it when the album comes out.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote