Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment" - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #16
country flag The 2nd Law

The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute The 2nd Law has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

At the end of last season I'm sure very few people expected Vika and Petra to be in their respective positons - I would have thought they'd be the other way around tbh. You cannot really predict how things will play out, but I'm hopeful the Petra can make some big noise again next season, I'd even give her a good chance of defending her YEC title. On the other hand, she could fall out of the top 10. Who really knows?
Advertisement

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #17
country flag DOUBLEFIST

DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute DOUBLEFIST has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybotz View Post
kvitova reminds me of navratilova. another czech with loads of talent but lack of fitness. she'll be back. stronger than ever and will dominate.
She may lack fitness, but it's FIRE she's in desperate need of.
DOUBLEFIST is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #18
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
She has the game to beat anyone, including Serena. Only a few important points decided the winner on those Wimbledon matches.

If she improves her fitness, she will achieve even greater results.
It doesnt mean much, at their best they're all dangerous to anyone. The problem with Petra is as soon she is not near her best she becomes completely useless. She needs to find a lil more consistency in her game.
Tbh I also think tha the pressure got to her, everyone was expecting her to do great and after a great season in 2011 it wasn't easy to confirm. Last year, no one knew who she was she wasn't really the fave to win such big titles etc..... It clearly helped her to beat Sharapova at Wimbledon and win the YEC.

I feel like the same thing is gonna happen to Victoria, even though mentally she seems stronger and tennis wise a lot more consistent, she really surprised everyone this year and wasn't the fave to realize such things. Its never easy to confirm, this is why I think that Vika is going to get trough what Petra went trough this year.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #19
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

yes, it's true, the path to world domination is rockier than expected. i'm not too sure kvitova has the mentality to be the imposing player that she could be. which is a bit sad, but you know what? i like her all the more for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
now - except this thread there is 0 attention to Kvitova on this forum, 0 interest from the press. Former Wimbledon Champion becomes invisible in just 9 months
that's utter bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Jon Wertheim didn't write a single note about Kvitova in his " 50 parting shots from U.S. Open", just like she was absent at US Open or is irrelevant.
you seriously refer to jon wertheim?

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #20
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future

Kvitova is technical one of the most complete players ever and obviously one of the most talented players in the world.

Pretty much everybody expected her to get to the # 1 spot at the beginning of the year. She was so close.

She played a solid season but that was not what we expected from her.

I expected her to dominate the tour for years and step into Williams shoes.

So yes - a top 5 ranking for a player with that potential is very disappointing!!
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #21
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
Kvitova is technical one of the most complete players ever and obviously one of the most talented players in the world.

Pretty much everybody expected her to get to the # 1 spot at the beginning of the year. She was so close.

She played a solid season but that was not what we expected from her.

I expected her to dominate the tour for years and step into Williams shoes.

So yes - a top 5 ranking for a player with that potential is very disappointing!!
Agree.

And I don't think people should compare her to Navratilova! Martina had that special determination Petra appears to lack. I saw her at Wimbledon and was disappointed.

Many years ago I thought Svetlana was going to be the next Navratilova and look what happened! I think Peyra will have a similar career: respectableish but overall disappointing.

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #22
country flag mac47

mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute mac47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a huge fan of Petra, but this season has been a big disappointment. The close losses to Masha, and the losses to players she beat handily just weeks or days before (Bartoli, Kerber) are utterly annoying.

I want her to dominate, and I want a rivalry with Serena. Until that happens, and until she wins more slams, she will just be a very nice and likable disappointment.
“It's not as if everything revolves around me now that I've won Wimbledon for the second time — as if I'll just sit on my ass at home and send someone to do my shopping for me.” — the lovely and humble Petra Kvitová
mac47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #23
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

She's still a great player and she will definitely have a lot of success in the future. This year is probably a good thing in a way because all the bandwagoners are gone.

I still find it funny though how some people were calling her the next Monica Seles after the YEC last year. She will never be duplicated.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #24
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ana View Post
On the other hand, she could fall out of the top 10. Who really knows?
Don't worry, this is very unlikely, unless she gets injured.

1) Her points are now nicely spread over the entire season, because this year she has proved that she can play well everywhere, including North American hardcourts

2) She loves tennis, has a very good character with strong family background and it's unlikely that money and fame would spoil her and divert her from tennis too much

3) And she's the youngest player in the top 10 (the only one born in 1990s) so there's still lots of room/time for improvement
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #25
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

It ain't even about results...Petra disappointed MENTALLY. She has NO fight in her. As long as the going gets tough, she folds..
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #26
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
Kvitova is technical one of the most complete players ever
I died. This is a joke right?
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #27
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ana View Post
At the end of last season I'm sure very few people expected Vika and Petra to be in their respective positons - I would have thought they'd be the other way around tbh. You cannot really predict how things will play out, but I'm hopeful the Petra can make some big noise again next season, I'd even give her a good chance of defending her YEC title. On the other hand, she could fall out of the top 10. Who really knows?
To be honest, I thought Azarenka would be more successful because she's more consistent and works harder. She hired a new coach, improved on her fitness, and has shown consistency and passion. Petra is more talented but you see she hasn't lost any weight and is kind of in the wilderness in regards to her tennis. Considering she's still young their is time to turn it around but I see no hunger when she plays. When you also consider the fact that Petra hates the limelight and doesn't really want people in her personal life it just adds more pressure. After she won Wimbledon it seemed like she just wanted to get the hell out of the stadium and go home.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #28
country flag Grigorpova

Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of Grigorpova has much to be proud of

Hopefully she gets her act together and wins another Slam next year.
Grigorpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #29
country flag tennisbear7

tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute

Petra needs to become a real athlete, then we'll start talking dominating.
tennisbear7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #30
country flag azinna

azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute

I've often felt she was on the cusp of either a Mary Pierce or Lindsay Davenport career. Let's see where she goes between these two options before we start seeing her scale the heights of a Navratilova or Serena.

Meanwhile, if I were on her team I'd help her see that this year was not a disappointment. Very hard to back up a first-slam-winning year and she did well. Now, she needs to use the off-season to become one of the fittest in the top ten. She needs to know that she can win extended rallies over three sets and three hours. Right now, she's not convinced and neither are her opponents.

Always on the lookout for a great tennis match.
azinna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote