Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #1
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute
Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

"in the forth round she is playing Marion Bartoli. She beats her easily in the first and goes down 2-6, 0-6
This is a Wimbledon Champion from last year. This is a big lefty player who we expected great things of this year. She was one of those women who we thought might challenge Serena. .........Not even close.... "

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8364694

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #2
country flag tonybotz

tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

kvitova reminds me of navratilova. another czech with loads of talent but lack of fitness. she'll be back. stronger than ever and will dominate.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #3
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

She has the game to beat anyone, including Serena. Only a few important points decided the winner on those Wimbledon matches.

If she improves her fitness, she will achieve even greater results.

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #4
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
She has the game to beat anyone, including Serena. Only a few important points and a set decided the winner on those Wimbledon matches.

If she improves her fitness, she will achieve even greater results.
Quoted for truth.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #5
country flag b2b

b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold

tell us something we don't know
b2b is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #6
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2b View Post
tell us something we don't know
a year ago TF was flooded by
1) Kvitova = next player who will dominate WTA and will win all next Wimbledons
2) Kvitova will beat Masha,Vika on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
3) Kvitova will emulate Martina Navratilova
4) she has that powerful game that can challenge Serena

now - except this thread there is 0 attention to Kvitova on this forum, 0 interest from the press. Former Wimbledon Champion becomes invisible in just 9 months

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #7
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
now - except this thread there is 0 attention to Kvitova on this forum, 0 interest from the press. Former Wimbledon Champion becomes invisible in just 9 months
That's because people here have selective memory and bias. Please don't confuse general opinion here with what real, rational people think.

And Kvitova's rep in the press is basically unchanged. Can beat literally anyone on her day, needs to grow up a bit first before it happens consistently. And It's not like she was dominating the tour when she won Wimbledon last year. Most players have trouble adjusting to increased pressure after winning their first slam. Cases like Azarenka are rare. You as a fellow Sharapova fan should be familiar with that, no?

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #8
country flag b2b

b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold b2b is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
a year ago TF was flooded by
1) Kvitova = next player who will dominate WTA and will win all next Wimbledons
2) Kvitova will beat Masha,Vika on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
3) Kvitova will emulate Martina Navratilova
4) she has that powerful game that can challenge Serena

TF matters?

expectation is always there for her,so are her issues. i'm sure she knows how to be better better than TFers.

i thought there would be an analysis on why she was disappointing this year.that's what i meant.
b2b is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #9
country flag thegreendestiny

thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute thegreendestiny has a reputation beyond repute

She really was a bit of disappointment. I was expecting a Vika-Petra rivalry this year and it did not happen, even once.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #10
country flag Kunal

Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute

i truly hope that kvitova can come through and fight at the top. her, azarenka and serena can make this an engaging wta
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #11
country flag NashaMasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
That's because people here have selective memory and bias. Please don't confuse general opinion here with what real, rational people think.

And Kvitova's rep in the press is basically unchanged. Can beat literally anyone on her day, needs to grow up a bit first before it happens consistently. And It's not like she was dominating the tour when she won Wimbledon last year. Most players have trouble adjusting to increased pressure after winning their first slam. Cases like Azarenka are rare. You as a fellow Sharapova fan should be familiar with that, no?
Jon Wertheim didn't write a single note about Kvitova in his " 50 parting shots from U.S. Open", just like she was absent at US Open or is irrelevant.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ten...hts/index.html

WTA Championships 2004

21 weeks #1 player
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #12
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about all that game she has. When a lot of your success relies on power and aggression, you really are going to be hit or miss. The top players who have been consistent the last few years have consistent games (Wozniacki, Serena, Azarenka, Sharapova).

If she can find a way to reel it in and work on her fitness, she will be a top 5 player for years to come. Not sure about dominating though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #13
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I expected that Kvitova would be very up and down with her grand slam performances, but instead she seems to have found consistency but lost the spark of brilliance that took her to Wimbledon/YEC titles last year.

I don't know if I'd say she's been disappointing exactly...two slam SFs, a QF and a fourth round are good results...
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #14
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think she had had a horrible year, it just didnt live up to expectations after being the clear #1 player of 2011. Serena's comeback proved she is easily still better than Petra at this point, even at 30. Azarenka passed Kvitova by, although we have yet to see how a head to head match between them would now go, but it doesnt matter much since Azarenka vs the field >>> Petra vs the field right now. Sharapova turned the tables on Kvitova in a big way after losing that Wimbledon final and seeing Kvitova eclipse her last year.

I think there are a number of positives. Her performance is more consistent now. Obviously she needs to look at raising the level of her game now though. She didnt so much underperform as she found out she wasnt quite as good as people were saying she was. I agree with others that improved fitness level and improved movement is the first thing. Improving that would cut down on the unforced errors too, many of those caused by imperfect footwork.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #15
country flag justineheninfan

justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute justineheninfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Last year I expected that Kvitova would be very up and down with her grand slam performances, but instead she seems to have found consistency but lost the spark of brilliance that took her to Wimbledon/YEC titles last year.

I don't know if I'd say she's been disappointing exactly...two slam SFs, a QF and a fourth round are good results...
Exactly. She performed consistently this year, she just didnt reach the A+ levels ever to scale the heights, and that people were expecting of her.
justineheninfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote