Serena Williams- Interview Thread - Page 48 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #706
country flag nadlinds

nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of
Re: Serena Williams- Interview Thread

An interview with: SERENA WILLIAMS

Friday, September 7, 2012

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Only three games to the poor Italian girl. Is not fair. It's not nice.

SERENA WILLIAMS: She played really well. She's such a good hope for Italy. She's such a good fighter. I can see her improve so much. She played really well.

Q. How well did you think you played?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely played better today. I played better than my other matches. And playing someone against her you have to go better.

Q. What did you do better today?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I was more consistent. I did make some errors, but I was more consistent than I felt I was in the past.

Q. For once nothing weird or distracting has happened here.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Hey, it's not done yet. (Laughter.)

Q. How helpful has that been, that there haven't been these situations for this year?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well I did grunt once today, and I thought, God, I hope I don't lose the point. It's weird. I have another round to go. Like I said, my goal this year was not to get in any fights, but something happens, then, oh, you know, I try to count ten; hopefully I can make it.

Q. When did you make that goal? Did you really have that conversation with yourself?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No.

Q. There is a sportsmanship award this year. Are you trying for that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't think I'm up for the sportsmanship award. I mean, I'm a really good sportsman, I think. I think I'm really nice. I talk to everybody in the locker room. I don't know if that's sportsman, but I try to leave everything on the court. Once the loss is over, then, you know, I'm happy for the other person.

Q. What did you learn from last year's final here? How does that affect your thinking going into this year's?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, last year was different. I didn't get to bed until after 4:00. I had to come right back and play again. Went fast. This year, I know it sounds weird, but I have more experience than I did last year. But I don't have anything to lose. I feel like I'm going up against ‑‑ I personally think ‑‑ the most consistent and the best player this year, being Victoria Azarenka. I feel like I don't have anything to lose, and it will be a good challenge for me.

Q. How can you not think you're the best player in the world right now?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I said this year. I always believe that I'm the best obviously. I mean, on paper I think she's been more consistent, going much deeper in the slams than I have and being pretty consistent.

Q. How have you compiled such a great record against her? What have been the differences in the matches you have played against Victoria?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. We always play each other in tough settings, so I don't really know the answer to that, to be honest.

Q. We saw the fantastic and well‑deserving outpouring of emotion for Andy this week. On court you said, Come on, I'm the American. What is your read of how how you're appreciated or how you're taken by American fans?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I feel a lot of support here, especially growing more and more as my career goes. I have won here three times. It's always good and easy to get behind someone that's doing well. Being the last American, both the men and the women, it's exciting. You know, you want to see your country do well. So it's really cool. I feel a lot of support out here. And even when Venus was playing I felt even with our doubles like we just had so much support.

Q. Did you watch the other semi?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Not too much. I saw probably 10 points.

Q. Did you meet Aretha Franklin the other day, or did you watch your friend Michelle Obama on television?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I didn't get to meet Aretha. I hardly ever turn on the TV, so I didn't watch Michelle.

Q. You said before that you talk to every player in the locker rooms. Did you talk also to Vika Azarenka recently? What did you exchange?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I really get along with Vika. She's a really nice girl to me. After she won her match today I was walking off the court but I gave her a fist pump. I was like, Good job. She's come a long way. She's so young now, and to have such a good career and doing so well is awesome.

Q. What makes her so effective on hard courts, do you think?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. I honestly don't think about or study ‑‑ I don't study her game.

Q. Is tennis more fun than it was, say, ten years ago? Was there more pressure to produce then? And now that you're 30, can you just sort of go out and just play the game?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think ten years ago tennis was a lot of fun; I was twenty so it was cool. Just still kind of on the scene getting back, doing as good as, as well as I could, so it was cool. I was just kind of still being young and still starting out and getting my bearings. It was awesome.

Q. Was there ever a time when tennis wasn't fun?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think every person goes through a point in their career, whether they're a tennis player or something else in their career, in their life.

Q. When was that for you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I can't pinpoint it.

Q. If you weren't a tennis player, what would the 30‑year‑old Serena's life be like?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I decided the other day I would have been a rock star because I love to sing. Although I don't have a good voice, I'm great onstage. (Laughter.)

Q. Do you get the sense at all that players are little afraid to play you because you're so dominating?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I probably can be a better reader of my opponent, to be honest. So with that being said, I'm not reading them well enough, so I don't know.

Q. How much do the memories of holding the trophy at the end of your championships here stoke your motivation, stoke your desire to get back to that feeling?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I thought about it. It was an amazing feeling. I definitely want to reach that again. I definitely want to hold that trophy and to lift it up. But I have to play a maximum of three sets and I have to stay focused on that and the task at hand and play the current No. 1 player in the world. So, yeah, I have to do the best I can.

Q. You mentioned getting to sleep really late a year ago. What else is different mentally, emotionally, physically?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Physically I'm much better. Last year honestly I thought getting to the final was awesome and a great effort after being five months prior in the hospital. So for me, that was the most unbelievable effort. It's probably the only Grand Slam loss final that I wasn't really super disappointed. I mean, I was definitely disappointed, but not as down as I would have normally been under any other situation. So this year I'm physically better. I'm more confident, playing more matches and winning. I have Wimbledon under my belt. It's always fun to win that one. It's cool.

Q. If you're able to do this, how do you think you'll look back on this summer after Wimbledon, the Olympics, and the US Open?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it will probably be the best summer I've ever had. Let me think. Maybe not. It will be up there. Yeah, up there, because if you win the Olympics and Wimbledon and this it would be kinda cool. So, yeah, it will be awesome.

Q. Tomorrow it will be your 19th singles Grand Slam final. Do you remember what change in your routine preparing for your first single final 13 years ago?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I remember 13 years ago I painted my nails with OPI No Kidding polish every day, and before the final I did the same thing, red, OPI red. And then this year my nails are already done so I don't have to worry about it. (Laughter.) Although I do have Pinking of You in my purse as we speak, which is a nail polish color by OPI, too. That's the only thing I do. I mean, I have really gotten out of being so into routines because it can really drive someone bananas. I've been on the verge of going bananas because I have to have this, this this. It wasn't helping me win. It wasn't helping me lose. It has nothing to do with that. I kind of have chilled off on that.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...relatedcontent

VENUS WILLIAMS ~ 7 TIME GRAND SLAM SINGLES CHAMPION.

SERENA & VENUS WILLIAMS ~ 13 TIME GRAND SLAM DOUBLES CHAMPIONS.

SERENA AND VENUS WILLIAMS ~ THE 2 GREATEST SISTERS SUPERSTARS OF ALL TIME.
nadlinds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #707
country flag archie4

archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold archie4 is a splendid one to behold

Serena's interview on CBS This Morning the day after winning the US Open:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...flexGridModule
archie4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #708
country flag nadlinds

nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of nadlinds has much to be proud of

An interview with: SERENA WILLIAMS

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Q. As Mary Carillo said, it was a snappy summer for you on the court. The season is not over, but the Grand Slam season to be capped by that victory, just talk about the experience.

SERENA WILLIAMS: It was such a great experience. Gosh, it really is amazing. I came in the summer knowing it was going to be a long summer, but I knew that I could do well if I just put my mind to it. I knew that I could just be a good player and a champion this summer. I never expected to win all these titles. The highlight has just been so amazing. Everything has been so amazing, so it's just been fabulous

Q. What are your thoughts specifically on how you rescued this match from being down 5 3 and two points away from losing?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Whew, I don't know. I just thought I was on serve; at 30 All I figured I could serve that out and just make her serve for it. It's the least I could have done. The least I could have done is I wanted to at least hold my serve, and I hadn't been holding my serve very well. After that, I thought if I could just force another game and obviously I never give up. I never, never quit. I have come back so many times in so many matches. I wasn't too nervous. I just thought if I could get to the next game, if I could get to it was always the next game.

Q. Your serve wasn't the best ever today. What did you do outside of that to
make up for not winning many easy service points?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think I competed really well. Know, I never stopped competing no matter what, and I think sometimes if you can just go out and compete, then you can continue to do well.

Q. Does it give you more satisfaction in a way that you won struggling a bit? Because after six matches winning so easily, I mean, to have someone that fights and you have to recover over, is it not better?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It definitely is better as long as you're on the winning side; it's no good if you're on the losing side. Looking back, when you look back at the film and footage, it's always really exciting to see that it was a close match. Obviously I would have wanted to win easy. But at the same time, this is more exciting to win because you don't really know what's coming. You don't know what to expect, and then you get it. This is the most best feeling I think in tennis.

Q. When there was a foot fault called, I'm just wondering if things flashed through your mind then, past Opens, and what it means that you held things together and things didn't get crazy here.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, this is the first year I didn't in a long time I haven't lost my cool. (Laughter.) No, I think everyone thought about last year. That's never on my mind, because I was just focused. I was just thinking, Okay, which foot was it? So I would know not to do that again.

Q. You won this Grand Slam in '99; of course this is now 13 years later, if I do my math correctly. That's a bit of history right there. That's the longest span in a single Grand Slam for any individual to win. It says a lot about longevity; it says a lot about consistency; it says a lot about determination. Just talk about that.

SERENA WILLIAMS: It hasn't even sunk in that I'm the winner yet. It's awesome. Yeah, three decades. The '90s, 2000s, 2010s, that's kinda cool. Yeah, I just think that it's exciting to have this opportunity. And 13 years is a long time between the first and the last. It's just a great I was reading yesterday or this morning how Pete Sampras won in '90 and 2002. That was a 12 year span. That was pretty awesome. For me to get this in 13 years was just and I'm at No. 15 now? It's so cool. I'm so excited.

Q. And to do it here.

SERENA WILLIAMS: And to do it here. To cap off the gold medal and then to come from the gold medal to win US Open is unforgettable. I'm really so excited.

Q. Big picture wise, I don't know any other athlete who has more ups, downs disasters, breakups, fans yelling at them, surgeries, surprise wins. Even this year you had a mess at the French Open. Could you just take a moment and talk about all the ups and downs.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't think about the downs too much. I hope I never think about them as my life continues. But I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall. I have fallen several times. Each time I just get up and I dust myself off and I pray and I'm able to do better or I'm able to get back to the level that I want to be on. So I feel really awesome that I have been able to do that and that I can do that and I have done that. I think, for me, like you see great people like Muhammad Ali, for instance, who is a complete person I have always looked up to in sports. He went to jail for so long and he came back as a champion again. So I just really think that really defines a champion.

Q. This has more meaning perhaps after the past two Opens you have had here?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, for sure. I mean, I was in the hospital last year was it last year or I think so. Yeah, it was last year, 2011. Yeah. So, you know, it means a lot. To win Wimbledon is always so special, but coming to your home country and winning this one is always it's just awesome. And to win two in a year, it's great. I'm really, really excited. Like I can't even I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do.

Q. What did you think of the quality of that match? Were there times in the second and third sets where you felt like you almost had to dial down your emotions, you know, on your groundstrokes so that you weren't so hyped up?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I definitely had to relax. I feel like the more relaxed I am, the better I play. I got a little tense, a little bit tight, and things weren't looking good. The more I stayed calm, I won more points. I was making a lot of errors and I thought, Gosh, I was playing better. But it was important for me just to stay relaxed and just to do the best that I could.

Q. Could you go back to Eastbourne when you came back last year not in perfect shape because you had been in the hospital, not sure about your game and think about where you were then and bring it all the way to here?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It's been crazy. I was just telling I think my mom the other day, I was playing Wimbledon the fourth round against Bartoli and I was running and fighting, and at one point I was seeing stars because I was so tired and I couldn't breathe and I didn't have the lung capacity that I needed. But I kept fighting and I kept saying, It's okay, just fight for the next point. I really, really tried. After that I tried to get in even better shape. I didn't have as much time before Wimbledon during Eastbourne to get as fit as I wanted to. I kept doing and kept trying and trying new things, you know, always looking to see what I can do better or what I can do to add to my game to make it better. So then I had a great summer last year. You know, even though I lost in the final, I still thought it was a really, really awesome summer. This year has been the whole year has been great. You know, my goal was to make the Olympics, and I did it. Yeah. It's awesome.

Q. Athletes can use losses as well as wins as tools for motivation. How do those work for you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Losses really motivate me. Like I really want to go home and work hard and do better. And then wins motivate me as well because I'm a perfectionist. I am always like, What could I have done better? Why didn't I do this more? What can I do better to win easier? So, for me, obviously I think for sure losses motivate me a little more; but due to the fact that I don't want to lose, I always try to get motivated by wins.

Q. How would you rank your motivation right now?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, my gosh. My motivation is so up there. I'm so motivated to just stay focused. I just feel like I'm ready for the next tournament. I really want to be focused and do well there and just keep the dream alive.

Q. The crowd was incredible, a lot of support, a lot of chanting for you. Have you ever felt that great embrace as you did today?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I really felt good last year as well against Sam. I thought they were rooting for Victoria a lot too, at least in the second. Then the third came around and they started rooting for me more. So it's always good to feel the crowd love, and to, you know, feel a part of something special that's happening.

Q. Victoria spoke at length in her interview about how much admiration she has for you and appreciation because you really force her to improve her game, improve her fitness. Were there things Victoria did today that genuinely pushed you in a way that you hadn't been pushed this tournament?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, absolutely. You can see by the scoreline that she really worked hard and she pushed me; she returned really unbelievable today. She always returns really well. But, you know, I feel like she's really improved that aspect of her game. It's going to make me go home and say, Well, what can I do to improve so I'm not involved in a three set battle like this again? As great as it is to feel good after these wins, it's always easier and better for me to go faster and to win in straight sets.

Q. How careful will you be with your scheduling? A lot of people complain that you don't play enough. You know all that, of course. Are you very careful about that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I am. I don't want to overdo it, you know. I'm doing something right after 13 years or actually longer. So I have two more tournaments this year which I want to do well in, really, really well, and then have a little break. I think it will be awesome.

Q. How much of a downer was what happened in Paris and how much of a correlation do you see between that loss there and what you've done since then?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I was miserable after that loss in Paris. I have never been so miserable after a loss. I was playing extremely well before that. To be honest, I felt like I lost a little confidence after that. I had some tough matches at Wimbledon. But finally I pulled it together. I don't know if that helped me, the loss in Paris, or it fueled me or if it didn't. I like to believe it did, because, you know, I just wanted to do more. I wanted to do more and more and more. Sometimes they say it's good to lose. I still would have preferred to win, but, you know, that was forever ago.

Q. You won your 45th tournament out of 157; 15th slam out of 49 slams. But you missed 10 slams since '99. If you had played those 10 slams, don't you think that you would have won at least 5 of them and you would have 20 slams, 2 more than Chris and Martina and 2 less than Graf?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think so. Some situations I couldn't help. Like in 2010 I was playing really well. I felt like I could have if I didn't win the US Open I definitely could have won Australia because I love winning Australia. I definitely think that set me back. But there's nothing I can do about that. I've let that go. I don't think about what could have been. I just think about what I have and what I want to do.

Q. That's a perfect setup for your future and future slams. How much do you think you'll want to keep going and possibly break those records that far ahead of you?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I haven't thought about them until recently. I never thought I would even come close to breaking those records. But, you know, if I can play consistently and play some more matches at Wimbledon, then it will be awesome. We'll see. If I could win two a year it would be great. We'll see.

Q. Can you compare the 30 year old who won the 2012 US Open to that teenager who won here in 1999?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Gosh, we both have so much to look forward to. I feel like even though I'm 30, I have feel so young and I've never felt as fit and more excited and more hungry. Even with this win like I'm sitting here so excited still to play the next Grand Slam and see what I can do. Just to do more, I love that feeling. I feel like it's overdue. I'm excited. I feel that way.

Q. Do you always have that feeling about tennis or is that zoning in and out or has it always felt this strong?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I mean, I think for sure every athlete zones in and out at some point, and I have had mine for sure. But right now I'm so excited about it. I love every moment. I love playing doubles. I love stepping out in the court. It's a lot of mental work for me, so I'm excited to go away today or tonight and just relax and know I don't have a match in the next few days. But other than that, it's really great. It's a great job.

Q. Victoria in her press conference expressed gratitude what you have done for her game, which is somebody who has beaten her 10 out of 11 times. She said it's not about resentment, it's about you have pushed her to become a much better player. She also went on to say, quote, unquote, that she considers you, from her point of view, the greatest player ever. She's the top ranked player in the world. She's saying that about you. When you look back and think you have established that legacy for yourself, can you talk a little bit about that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think that, you know, she right now is probably one of the best players on tour. That's why she's the only other player to make two Grand Slam finals and to play so consistent and literally could have won today. We were pushing each other now, and that's awesome. That's great. She's improved so much in a few weeks, and that's always important to see in someone at her age so young in their game. I don't know. I will think about my legacy when I'm done. I have so much more I want to create for the history.

Q. You won three slams in 2003. How do you compare that year to a year like 2012 where you won two slams and another goal?

SERENA WILLIAMS: So basically three. It's kind of the same thing, right? (Laughter.)

Q. In your autobiography you wrote about you and Venus and your father on a paper route, riding along.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yes.

Q. I don't know how old you were exactly then, five or six...

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah.

Q. Did you think of becoming the greatest player...

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, no, no, not at all. I just never thought about I have always wanted to win. As a kid, you're always like, I want to be the best; I want to be No. 1; I want to win Grand Slams. But to actually do something is much harder than saying it and putting in the work and the effort and the sacrifices and absolutely everything. So yeah, at that age I definitely I was thinking about ice cream trucks, not anything else.

Q. You mentioned Muhammad Ali earlier, and his nickname was The Greatest, and earlier you were toasted as being the greatest. All week I heard nothing but your competitors saying you're the greatest. How does that make you feel?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Weird. I don't consider myself the greatest. I just consider myself a tennis player who's trying to do the best I can. And from then I'm just Serena. I have always considered I'm so crazy off the court and simple and easy and fun. Then I'm a totally different person. I know you guys don't get to see that other side, but for me it's just you know, I'm just Serena. That's all I am, and I'll never be anything else.

Q. You have won a lot of these by now. What's your favorite thing or the best part about winning a Grand Slam?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Taking a break afterwards. (Laughter.) Except for after Wimbledon. I didn't get a break. Usually it's like every day, I'm like second after 11:00. Perfect. Second after 11:00. Usually I'm like, Okay, what time do I play tomorrow? There's a lot that goes into it. Okay, I have to eat tonight. I have to eat this. Oh, I didn't eat enough. Now I'm like, Okay, I can have a week off and I will feel good and relax and, whew, deep breath.

Q. You love living on the edge.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I really do. (Laughter.)

Q. You were on the edge. How much personal excitement do you get out of winning a championship like this and having the world know that you have multiple challenges, other interests, and you're a very broad spanned person with multiple talents?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely like living on the edge too much, so I'm going to try to get off the edge. (Laughter.) I don't know. I just definitely enjoyed winning tonight. I would be lying if I said that I wanted it to be, you know, this long. But nothing is more exciting than winning such a tight match in a Grand Slam final. I wonder if I have had one this tight. I'm not sure.

Q. Could you have written a better script for CBS if you they said, Write this Serena?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I think it was really well.

Q. I just couldn't help sitting up there and watching and just thinking, you know, to prepare for a performance like what happened tonight, leading up to it, how do you prepare to, you know, perform like you did tonight? What's your
strategy when you are getting ready to do a big, you know, a big match like this?

SERENA WILLIAMS: My strategy is just to relax. I actually went to dinner yesterday and I started not to, and I usually never leave the hotel for three weeks. I was like, you know what, Serena? Try something new. Get something to eat outside of the hotel. It made me relax and it worked. It worked. So for me every day is changing. We'll see. I don't know. There is no one way I think for anyone, definitely not for me.

Q. Can you please talk about what has happened with your life or the support of your family has meant to you, the things that you have with all the things you have gone through with your sister and yourself the last couple of years?

SERENA WILLIAMS: We have had so much support. My family is really close and we do a lot of things together. We have a lot of support. You know, going through what I went through and what Venus went through and what she's currently going through I definitely think made me appreciate everyone more and just appreciate the whole family structure. But also made me closer to Venus in particular, because she has inspired me on a whole new level. Whenever my back hurts or whenever my foot hurts, I'm thinking, Seriously, Serena, you don't have what Venus has, so, you know, just get over it. I think everyone in sport can be inspired by what she's done and how she's come back and winning championships and just doing so well. So I have been utterly completely inspired by that. I just have no words for it. There is no greater champion in my eyes.

Q. How much credit do you give to the work you have done with Patrick?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think Patrick has been great. He's been really positive in my life. I love how calm he is. I'm a little crazy. Whenever I look up he always looks so confident. I love that. So we have a good strategy going on. We have a good chemistry. We have a lot of good things together. I was doing really, really well before Roland Garros and I was supposed to win there and then I didn't do so well. You know, his system, being in Paris has given me I don't live there, for the record. Can't pay those taxes. I live in the United States of America. I am American. (Laughter.) It's been fun to kind of get a change of scenery at 30 years old. It's like doing the same thing day after day, year after year, and then I have a change. It's kind of cool. I think it's just made me more excited to play. It's been really cool.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...303246276.html

Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #709
country flag nadlinds

TEB BNP PARIBAS WTA CHAMPIONSHIPS

October 22, 2012

Serena Williams

ISTANBUL, TURKEY

Q. You're coming from where tennis is important and popular. In Istanbul tennis is just developing. According to you and your experience, to improve the importance of tennis and tennis education, what will the Federation or parents do? What will they do to train for it?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think having an event like this, the Championships, with the eight players that did the best in the world this year, having them here is a great way to improve knowledge of tennis in Turkey.
I think it's a great start. Hopefully we can continue to have this relationship by having a tournament here and having players participate like we have this week.

Q. After the US Open, your coach, Patrick, said something about how tired you were from all the tennis you played this summer and all the winning you had to do, and what you needed the most at that point was rest. Have you been able to get enough rest, do you think, coming back into this very intense tournament?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I definitely needed to rest. After that it was a really, really intense summer for me, and I think my body was really feeling it at the Open towards the end of the second week and even before that.
I've gotten some rest. Hopefully I'll be able to do somewhat decent here at the last tournament of the year.

Q. When did you get back on court after taking time off? How long have you been practicing?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I started a while ago, like before Beijing. Obviously I wasn't training every day. I got sick in between there. Yeah, I started before Beijing.

Q. Can you just talk and compare this year, 2012, to 2002 when you won three slams and probably had more titles? Is there a bigger sense of accomplishment this year than then?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think 2012 is a little bit more of a sense of accomplishment, seeing that in 2002 it was great and I had no injuries and no comebacks and I had no serious issues.
So I feel like back then I was really just cruising and on the rise. Now it's a different scenario because I've been through so much in my life. I've had triumphs, disasters, happy moments, and I've had sad moments.
I think when your career comes complete circle like that you can really appreciate every win more and more.

Q. There have been some remarkable images of you on tennis courts this year. As you say, some triumphs, some disasters. Is there one moment, do you think, that really encapsulates the Serena Williams of 2012?
SERENA WILLIAMS: That's a tough one. I think winning Wimbledon was really awesome because I hadn't won a Grand Slam in a year or two. I had been through so much at that point, so having a chance to win another Grand Slam ‑‑ after I won, I kept saying, I won. I won Wimbledon. I couldn't believe it, because I didn't go in as a favorite but I came out the champion.
Who would have known if I would have ever won another Grand Slam before that happened. It was a pretty awesome moment.

Q. I believe you said that you were a little bit surprised at all the success you've had in the last three months. Does that mean after the real hard time you've been through that your attitude towards tennis has changed a little bit?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think I love the moment being on court. I love walking out and seeing‑‑ I love winning, just to be honest.
My attitude probably has changed a little bit. For the most part, I love being out there. It's definitely work, but it's a great moment to do something that you love so much, and to be able to do it, like I always say, halfway decent.

Q. You won lots of tournaments and trophies this year. You've had a great season. And also prize money as well. If I my ask, how are you going to spend it?
SERENA WILLIAMS: How am I going to spend it?

Q. Yeah.
SERENA WILLIAMS: That's a good question. I don't know. Maybe I should do more with charity. I have my big charities that I'm doing stuff with now. We'll see.
I'm not a big spender. I'm not a big spender, so...

Q. Can you talk about Li Na a little bit? You haven't played her for a while.

Q. At least two years since Wimbledon in 2010. She's now a Grand Slam champion.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, Li Na is obviously a great player. It's been a while since I've played her, but she hasn't been off my mind whatsoever.
She's been playing excellent and qualified for this event, so she's clearly one of the top eight players of the year.
Winning a Grand Slams is always a pinnacle of everyone's career. Being the first Chinese individual to do it is, I think, spectacular. I was so excited for her.
Yeah, I just think she's going to be a tough opponent. Everyone in this competition is going to be tough from the first to the last match.

Q. You tweeted a couple hours ago that you had a what‑was‑I‑thinking moment.

Q. Can you share?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I absolutely cannot share. It was definitely a what‑was‑I‑thinking moment. I'm glad I'm not in that moment anymore.

Q. You shared a little bit last night about how much Venus winning a title last week meant to you. Talk about your parallel comebacks and winning a gold medal together.
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's going great. I am so excited that Venus was able to win last week. Yeah, last week now. But it's really great. She's been through so much, and to still be able to play top tennis and win tournaments is amazing. Also shows her desire, that she's not done.
Of course I knew it, but now other people can see that she has no plans on stopping and only just improving.

Q. Can you tell me what was the first thing you will do if you win the tournament? Anything in your mind?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, that's a long ways away. I would love to win this tournament. Believe me, I would. So we'll see.
I don't think about it, because‑‑ no, I don't know. I don't know.

Q. So much of what happens in women's tennis in a sense over the last ten years comes back to how you're playing and how you're doing. Is that something you're aware of, and does that bring extra responsibility?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it's cool. I just feel honored that I'm even considered like that. First of all, I've been in the game so long and it's just been a great journey.
I always felt like if I'm playing well, feeling well, if I'm healthy, then I'm definitely one of the competitors, whether I was playing Lindsay or Venus or, you know, any of the new players now.
It's amazing that I'm still considered like one of the top players to beat. So for me it's the ultimate honor and the ultimate compliment.

Q. What would be your objective criteria for player of the year, and how do you think you fit in in the discussion?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, there are a lot of players that won Grand Slams: myself, Maria, and Victoria. I think that's one of the criteria.
There are also other players who have been consistent, like Agnieszka, who has won some big tournaments. You know, so I don't know. I don't know what the criteria is.

Q. But for you, do you think this week should play a big role in determining who that is?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think qualifying is definitely a really big obstacle. You know the answer to that. (Laughter.)

Q. You're drawn in the same group as Victoria, so we'll get a rematch of the US Open final. Talk about that match, about that matchup.
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's going to be a great matchup. She has not stopped since January. She's been so consistent this whole year. It's good to see someone playing so consistently throughout the whole year.
It'll be interesting to see our matchup. It'll be fun. Regardless of what happens, I'm going to have a good time. I know she's going to give 200%, and I am going to go out there and do the same. So it will be a nice match.

Q. You have been the younger sister in your family your whole life. As the eldest player in this tournament, to be your younger sister who would you like to pick and why?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I really like Victoria's‑‑ I like all the players here. I get along with everyone. I love Victoria's attitude. I have a lot of respect for her. So she could be my younger sister for the week.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=84386

Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #710
country flag nadlinds

October 23, 2012

Serena Williams

ISTANBUL, TURKEY

S. WILLIAMS/A. Kerber
6‑4, 6‑1

Q. It's been a while since you played. Just talk about how you felt it went, whether you had rhythm.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I felt okay. Just kind of getting in my rhythm a little bit. Obviously trying to do more, but really just feeling my way around pretty much.

Q. Are you okay physically? Do you feel you're moving all right? Body responding to what you want it to do?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah. I feel like I'm moving fine, getting a lot of balls back, being really defensive, running down dropshots really easily.
So I feel good.

Q. You lost to her last time you played in Cincinnati. You seem to have a pretty good record in your career of avenging losses. Is that something that can motivate you on court?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Honestly, you know, you don't really think about it too much‑ at least I don't. Obviously I go into the match‑‑ what I do is go into the match more focused thinking, Okay, she's beaten me before so she's going to be a little confident and feel like she can beat me. What can I do to improve?

Q. You were not here last year. How do you find the grounds, atmosphere, and the supporters?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I found it nice. I've never been here, but I never knew I had so many Turkish supporters. It was really an honor to hear the fans go crazy and be really loud when I walked out. It made me have this smile on my face, and even bigger smile inside.
So it felt really good.

Q. We saw you quite emotional out there, kind of fist pumping and screaming. Was that intensity? Nerves? What were you going through emotionally on court today?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I really wanted to win today obviously. When you're playing anyone that's in the top 5 you just are trying to play better.
She won last time we played, so I really just wanted to do well today.

Q. How much do you care about finishing No. 1 as opposed to winning majors?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Obviously I would rather win majors. I've been No. 1 and I would love to be No. 1 again. I think maybe one day I will. We'll see.
But, you know, for me, I just feel if I keep winning tournaments, majors, tournaments like this, and playing well and consistently, the ranking will come.

Q. Obviously you had a great summer, but you haven't played since the US Open final. Coming out tonight, were you wondering, How am I going to hold up? Am I going to be able to play as well? Am I going to be rusty?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Not at all. I felt like I was ready to play. I felt like I practiced too much, and if I hit another practice ball I'm going to go nuts.
So I just really wanted a match. I was glad I played first on the first day. I was like, if I have another practice day, you know, I don't know if I can handle it.

Q. Did you follow the Lance Armstrong stuff at all?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I've been in Europe so long. I just heard that‑‑ I don't know. I don't even know what I heard. I heard very, very little about it.
Like I guess‑‑ I saw someone tweeted that they striped him of his titles.

Q. Yeah.
SERENA WILLIAMS: And I just read that tweet like today or something. So obviously I know what's going on, but I'm not really...

Q. Not really about the specifics, but you're aware of who he was.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, obviously Lance Armstrong for a lot people in sports has been a legend.

Q. So for something like that to happen to a legend where all of his titles are gone and his reputation is trashed, just your reactions to that.
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I don't know. I don't know what happened. I wasn't there. I don't know if everything is true or if everything is false. He's saying one thing apparently, right?

Q. He never tested positive but the government found him guilty and striped him of his titles, yeah.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Interesting. Yeah, I don't know how that works. I just know that he's had a lot of cancer; I know he does a lot for charity. Although that doesn't necessarily mean that he's able to do other things; however I don't know what he did. Like I said, I wasn't there.

Q. Do you feel testing in tennis ‑ you talked about this before ‑ do you feel it's stringent enough?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Stringent enough is putting it mildly. People show up at my house at 5:00 in the morning trying to test me. You never know when they come.
I mean, I think, yeah, I get tested a lot. I don't know about the other players, but for me it's a pretty intense system, and I know a lot of the players feel the same way.

Q. Kerber's coach said it was very high level for first match, and he said for Kerber it was new experience and she was really excited and felt it at the end. Do you remember yourself for your first experience for your first master? How did you feel during your first master, and were you as excited as she was?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I could feel that she was really excited all week long. She's really happy to be here and feels honored to be here. She deserves to be here because she worked hard and has been one of the most consistent players constantly on the tour. I think ten semifinals is really pretty impressive, and winning titles as well.
I think she definitely was excited, and she will have a lot more chances to play at this event.

Q. And about your first experience in a masters, do you remember it?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I don't. I think it was back in the 1800s.

Q. You told us that it's your first time here. How will you spend your free time in Istanbul, and what are going to be the souvenirs you will take home?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Free time, I haven't had too much. Hopefully I'll have a day off soon.

Q. After the tournament.
SERENA WILLIAMS: After the tournament I'll go see the Old City and the New City, is that right? The Old City and then there are some only other things to see, so we'll see. I'll see, that is.

Q. Talk a little bit about what the WTA was like for you in terms scheduling and commitments and tournaments before 2009 and the Roadmap and how it differs from how it is now?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's always been difficult. It's always been a disaster and a nightmare in the past, and I think the Roadmap really helped. I know a lot of players were really, really unhappy before the Roadmap commenced, and I think that addition ‑‑ and I think in general Stacey Allaster has been a great leader for the WTA. Completely for the tour and completely unselfish.
I think above all, that has been a great model for our female tennis players. I think that's the reason why it's been so successful.

Q. Some of the younger players have been a bit more vocal about wanting more flexibility sometimes with the tournaments. They I feel like it's a little bit constricting in what tournaments they can or can't play. What's your response to that, or do you feel the same way?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Being on both sides I feel like this is pretty cool, because there are some events that you know you're going to be able to play week in and week out. You have your big events and your other events.
So I have nothing to complain about, because I think this is much better than the other system.

Q. On a very small organizational point, the in the men's championships they play on alternate days. You've had to play today and tomorrow. Do you think it would be more sensible if you played it group by group so you're all playing on the same day?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think so. I really think it would be more sensible like that. I'm also prepared to play on any day, any time, anywhere, any surface. Doesn't really matter to me. I have no complaints.

Q. I think after this you go to Africa; is that right?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Uh‑huh.

Q. Talk about your plans for your off‑season schedule and how rest for next season works into that?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Seeing it's been 20 years since I've had a vacation, I decided not to take one again this year. I'm going to go Africa and do a lot of things, play where they've never seen us play, Nigeria and South Africa.
It'll be fun. I've never been to those‑‑ I've been to South Africa but not Nigeria. I think it'll be cool and a positive experience not only for me, but for the people and the kids there just getting knowledge of not only tennis but also other positive things and the Serena Williams Foundation as well.
Ultimately if it means I won't be going on a long vacations I'm not upset, because, I mean, for me, I love going Africa and I love that experience. It'll be amazing.

Q. You going to play against Li Na tomorrow. What would you like to say about this game?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It'll be interesting, and definitely a tough match. She's been playing really well. Obviously to make it here you have to be playing well.
So I look forward to it. It will not be easy, but I don't think any match in this tournament is easy.
So you have to be ready.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=84435

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #711
country flag nadlinds

October 24, 2012

Serena Williams

ISTANBUL, TURKEY

S. WILLIAMS/N. Li
7‑6, 6‑3

Q. Strange match, because normally you win a lot of points on your serve, you lose sometimes the point on your return. Today the opposite. I never seen you losing twice a love game when you were serving for the set. How do you explain it?
SERENA WILLIAMS: My serve was a little off. That's the only way to explain it. I think the good news is I can serve better and I can play a lot better than what I did today.
That's what I have to focus on.

Q. Do you think she has a very good return also? It's only your serve?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think she has a good return, but I don't know how she can return a ball that's in the net or out. I think most of my serves were either in the net or out.
I lost serve today more than in all of Wimbledon. You know, it just wasn't a good serving day for me.

Q. Do you have any explanation for these troubles today?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I was just thinking about it too much. Felt like I didn't serve well yesterday, and then I thought about it. I just need to not think and just play.

Q. Serena, in some ways, though, it's not such a bad thing winning a match against a very good player when you're not serving well.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Exactly, yeah. It is, because I know I can serve a lot better and hold easier and maybe the score could be different. I was returning okay.
But knowing I was able to win still with, for me, zero serve compared to how I normally serve, I think it's something good I can take out of the match.

Q. So the early frustration with the racquet, you don't break too many in matches.
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I don't break racquets in matches. Although I didn't hit it hard and it kind of broke. Maybe I don't know my own strength.

Q. You sort of knew early on things weren't going well. Did you anticipate you would be fighting yourself the whole night?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it didn't go as well as I planned, and I just tried to‑‑ I guess I got angry, but try not to get so angry like that and I wasn't able to control myself.
But sometimes I play better after I get really angry.

Q. Why do you think Li Na knew is always a tough player it play? You guys play a couple of tiebreaks almost every match you apply against her.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, because, you know, we both usually serve really well and consistent‑ usually. I guess today we both returned well.
You know, I just think that was probably the main thing.

Q. Can you talk about the difference you feel about her as a player before her winning the Grand Slam last year? At that time you were not playing at all, so you are the perfect player to talk about how different is she before her winning and right now.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think before winning a Grand Slam she was really hungry and wanted to do well but she hadn't been able to cross the border, so to say.
But I think now she has a lot of confidence because she has that Grand Slam; she's in history for the rest of her life; she's made so many people proud; she's just playing with no fear.
I think that makes a big difference.

Q. You seemed quite emotional on the court the last few days; is that a fair comment? Is there any particular reason for it?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I've been emotional probably 28 years of my career, so...
I think I haven't been as emotional the past few months. If you look at most of my matches, I'm really, really emotional.
I'm going to try to go back to being more calm.

Q. You said you've been in Europe a long time the other day. How long?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Good question.

Q. Weeks?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Was I here for my birthday?

Q. Happy birthday, by the way.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think I was here since before my birthday.

Q. That's a while.

Q. Because why? You wanted to work out with Patrick?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I was training in Paris. I love Paris; I love the city. I don't love the new tax rules, so I make sure I'm not there too much.
Yeah, just working out and getting ready for indoor. Maybe I was better off relaxing, though.

Q. It's sort of a change of pace for you to come over to Europe in the fall and practice. First time really, no?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It is the first time. But when you've been playing professional for 15 years you need a change sometimes. I feel like I welcomes if. Usually I'm in the States and I'm doing this and that and that.
For me it was nice to do and try something different. You know, it keeps me excited and it keeps me motivated. It's almost like I'm starting over. When you first come out on tour you have so much excitement and you're so hungry because everything is kind of new.
I feel like it's all coming back like that for me.

Q. Your mom is here and Patrick is here and Sasha is here, and they all have roles in your life. Who is coaching what percentage and how does that work out? Do you get overwhelmed sometimes with the three of them all talking to you at the same time?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It can definitely be overwhelming. I think Patrick is doing most of it. I talk to my dad a lot still. My mom was out there today telling me some things and I was just thinking how helpful it was.
I was thinking, Wow, she's right. You know, she says things that are so calming sometimes‑ not all the time ‑ but she says things that are so calming for me and makes me remember what got me to this stage.
So I like having that balance, but definitely, yeah, mostly Patrick.

Q. You're next match here is against Victoria, which is the match that everybody started talking about when the groups were made here for this tournament. The stakes are a little different in this sort of situation, because you both could be already qualified for the semis before that match even starts. How does that sort of make this match different? How important is it for you to do well and win that match?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's important for me to do well and win every match I play. You know, she's playing well. She's had a stellar year.
Yeah, I don't want lose whether it's against her or whether it's against anybody else.

Q. Why do you think the matchup has been good for you against her in the past?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think she hits a good ball for me and I like it. I know her game really well; she knows mine really well, too. We've played each other a lot.
So, yeah, I think that's it.

Q. You mentioned the word "change" and how coming to Europe was a bit of a change. Seems like this year there are a lot of changes that you made. You've played a fuller schedule; you stayed in Paris to train after the French. Talk about that a little bit, the motivation to shake things up, I guess.
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, it was kind of all by chance. You know, I didn't want to change. I have a place in Paris, and so I figured I would stay a little longer and then ‑‑ I did not plan on staying longer, but it just so happened.
I don't remember the first part of your question. I played a fuller schedule. I have played a full schedule this year, so it's good. It was really good for me to play a lot, which goes to show you that I'm still really, really motivated to do well and do a very similar schedule next year.

Q. Can I just try to understand a little bit more about the match of today. Again on the serve you hit 51% of serves in, okay? You made the same sort of points with the second serve than with the first. You served 51% on first serve and 51% of second serve. You made exactly the same sort of points. How do you explain it? Whether you served first or second, she returns the same or doesn't make any difference? Should have made a difference.
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, my serve didn't go in today. How does that equal ‑‑ 51 and 51, isn't that 102?

Q. You made 20 points out of 39 on first and 21 out of 41 on the second.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, okay. I see what you're saying.

Q. So it's same percentage.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Okay.

Q. It's strange, because normally if you put the first serve in you should make many more points.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, let me tell you, every time I got my first serve in tonight I was surprised, so I wasn't ready for the ball to come back. That's what happened. (Laughter.)

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=84514

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #712
country flag Destiny

Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute

Q. It's strange, because normally if you put the first serve in you should make many more points.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, let me tell you, every time I got my first serve in tonight I was surprised, so I wasn't ready for the ball to come back. That's what happened. (Laughter.)

DEAD

TWITTER NAME : https://twitter.com/Mozzawalks
Destiny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #713
country flag Galsen
Tous les matins du monde sont sans retour.

Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute Galsen has a reputation beyond repute

Dead at the last question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Knowles View Post
That old ass pic is from 2006, the water from the swimming it took Rihanna to rally the US from Barbados had just dried. You tried.
Galsen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #714
country flag nadlinds

October 25, 2012

Serena Williams

ISTANBUL, TURKEY

S. WILLIAMS/V. Azarenka
6‑4, 6‑4

Q. She's a very good player, but you just seem to have her number and win the big points when you need to. Talk a little bit about the match and coming back in the second.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, she's a really good player. I just was able to play better than I did my first couple rounds. So like I said, that was what I was going to have to do going up against the No. 1 player in the world.

Q. Seemed like there were a lot of momentum swings in this match, even within games. A lot of games started one way and went another. How easy was it for you to sort of get a rhythm in this match?
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, it wasn't that easy but it wasn't hard. I wasn't thinking about it too much, about swings and stuff like that. I was just trying to get some serves in and play better.
Like I said yesterday, what I felt was really positive about my match is I know I can do better. So I knew that I would have to do better going up against this player and I knew that I could do better.

Q. In some ways you were saying coming in here you were practicing, you were sick of practice, but you hadn't played in five weeks. Maybe expecting to play really well off the bat was a little unreasonable and you're now in the groove three matches in?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I've been practicing really hard, and I actually expected to play better. If I could just play the way I have been in practice it would be more comprehensive matches.
So hopefully as the tournament goes on I can get better. If not, I hope to do better next year.

Q. Long layoff, and now you've played three matches and you'll get a day off. Looking forward to the day off or still ready to go?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Looking forward to the day off, although I'm ready to go if I have to. In tennis you always have to be ready. You never know when you're going to play.
But I'm happy to have a day off.

Q. Just breaking down the matchup against her, you've lost to her once and you've beaten her five times this year. The US Open match was super close, but what do you think the little or medium size or big difference is that gets you the wins every time?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Gosh, I have to think about it. I don't know. Maybe I'm doing the right things at the right time.
I don't know. I have to go back and study some of those matches. I played really well the first few times we played this year; namely in Madrid and wherever else we played, Wimbledon, Olympics.
Yeah, so I played really well mostly at Madrid and Olympics. You know, I think she went out and got better and started playing well, so I don't know what the edge is.
I think every time you step out on that court it's a brand new time and there really is no edge.

Q. Seems like given your record against her and Maria that you don't mind playing the hard, flat hitters, that you kind of invite the matchup.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I don't mind. I don't mind playing people that hit a lot spin, slice. Gotten used to it over the years. I think I've gotten particularly better with people that slice, so either way I don't mind.

Q. I saw when you were coming on the courts a nice picture of you with the gold medalist Serena Williams on your bag. Is that luck for you?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I have a nice picture of...

Q. Olympic gold medalist Serena Williams.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Where is this picture?

Q. On your sport bag.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, I don't think so. Is there? I'm a little out of it right now. I'm tired and hungry, so I don't remember having gold medals on my bag. Maybe.

Q. Last night I was watching you on TV and you were saying you love it here and you would like to move to Istanbul. How serious were you?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I didn't understand anything you just said.

Q. Last night in the TV interview you said you loved Istanbul and you would consider about moving here to Istanbul. How serious were you?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, I said I should move here because there is so much love and everyone is so nice. I just feel really bad because I can't sign all the autographs because the people go really, really crazy in the front.
But I don't know. I mean, it would be really nice. I like it a lot.

Q. The last Championships you played was in Doha, and then this is your first time in Istanbul. Can you compare the two cities, the two hosts?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, a little similar in culture. Not extremely, but they have a lot of similarities in the culture. I think both of them are great to host the Championships.
Doha did a fabulous job. Of course it's always a fabulous job when you win. So far love Istanbul. We'll see.
But I think it's been great here in Istanbul. I think the people are really, really nice, really amazing, and incredibly supportive not just of me, but all the players.
The crowds are great. Really a great city. It's a host, and you get new kids in Turkey involved in tennis and get some stars that come out of Turkey.

Q. How much are you looking forward to Monday and vacation?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't have vacation, but I am looking forward Monday. Obviously I wish it were now, but it's not.
You know, I have a maximum of two more matches this year hopefully; if not, one more.
That's how I look at it. So, yeah.

Q. In some ways too I would think given how well you've done the last six or seven months that you have the feeling I don't want season to end; I just keep winning and winning.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I can't wait to get to Australia. I wish it started next month.

Q. You likely play Radwanska in the semifinals the way things are shaking out now. You guys haven't played since that Wimbledon final, which was pretty up and down. Talk about the players that play with spin and stuff. Talk about that matchup and the challenges she presents.
SERENA WILLIAMS: That'll be a good matchup for me. She gets a lot of balls back, so I'll be definitely ready for that.
I'm ready. I mean, we are both fighting to be in the next round, so, yeah.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=84546

Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #715
country flag nadlinds

October 27, 2012

Serena Williams

ISTANBUL, TURKEY

S. WILLIAMS/A. Radwanska
6‑2, 6‑1

Q. Could you sense how tired she was from pretty early on?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Not early on, but definitely I probably had an idea that she was tired.

Q. What did you say to her after the match? You had a nice‑looking exchange.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Just told her it was awesome that she played so well and played through another match after playing a good eight hours.
It was really inspiring for me.

Q. There is something special between you and the fans here. What would you like to say about this?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's a good feeling to have so many fans here in Turkey. I love the support and I love how everyone is so awesome and nice and completely loud and into the game.

Q. Do you have any sort of preference at all for who you play in the final? Obviously you've done well against both so I'm assuming no. But do you?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, doesn't really matter. I think I whoever I play is a going to be playing unbelievable and playing really well.

Q. I've noticed that you've hardly grunted at all this whole tournament. Sometimes you can a lot in matches, but I don't think you have once here, if at all. Is there something different in how you're feeling on court that changes that, something you notice?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, not at all. I think I grunted in my first couple rounds, but not as much. Kind of depends on how I feel.
I don't think about grunting or not grunting. Really when I grunt a lot it takes a lot of the energy and breath out of me, so one reason I don't like to do it as much.

Q. So it's a sign that you're more comfortable that you're not doing it now, do you think?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, because I still start grunting a little bit sometimes if it's more intense, or sometimes if I hit a ball really hard then I get a louder grunt.
Yeah.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=84597

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #716
country flag nadlinds

Serena Williams: ´Now training and holiday in Mauritius´

Q. This wraps up obviously a big year for you. How important was it for you to get it title and end it on a good note all the same?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Now that I can be honest, I really wanted to win and win this title and put a little pressure on myself.
Yeah, I wanted it so bad but I didn't want to say it. I'm really excited that I was able to win it. I feel really good about ending the year.
Like it really was important for me to end the year with this title in particular, so I feel really good about it.

Q. How close were you to not playing this tournament potentially? I know you've been sick for sometime between here in the US Open.
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I was going to play the whole time. Yeah, it was never a doubt.

Q. Why all the pressure? Why after the year that you've had did you want to win this one so badly?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I had such a good year winning Wimbledon and US Open and stuff, Olympics, you know, it's like a heavy favorite going in to win this title, so for me it was really important. I mean, for my own sanity, so to say, I really wanted it, even though I didn't need it.
Like I don't think I needed to do anything else this year or any other year, but I really wanted to end on a good note.

Q. You've only lost one match since you lost at the French Open. How much credit of that goes to your new partnership with Patrick, or is there anything else that you've done to change? And just even bouncing back from that loss.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it's been an incredible run. I really love working with Patrick. He's been really, really positive and really awesome.
And I hate to lose. I think I went back to the drawing board. After Wimbledon my first few matches I was really, really tight, and I had a really great talk with my sister Isha who encouraged me a lot. I got better after that.
So I think it was a lot of factors that really helped me to be able to get better.

Q. You started the week a little bit slow and you really didn't have your rhythm, even though you didn't drop a set, and today was pretty good overall. Talk about the performance. She didn't have a break point; you were hitting winners from everywhere.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think she played really well today and I think she's improved so much, which is amazing that a player of her stature and caliber can still want to improve and still get better.
So I think that I played solid today. I think the last game I really played well. You know, when you're playing a player like Maria you always have to be focused for every point.

Q. Talk about how you focus. You get out there in front of this crowd, it's totally sold out, and people are yelling and screaming. Are you in your zone and able to block everything out and focus on the ball?
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I go through different emotions. Sometimes it's really exciting. Like when you first walk out on the court it's like, Wow, they're here, they're for you.
You see the sold out crowd and it's completely packed and you see all the signs and people sitting on the stairs with no seats just filling in the arena even more. It's cool, really cool.
Then you have to come to the moment where now you have to play. So for me, I have to kind of separate that. I think it's just staying focused and thinking about wanting to win every point.

Q. You played in so many Grand Slams and so many of these Championships. What do you think about the quality of the women's game now as compared to how it was perhaps when you' first emerged as a player, the depth of quality in the women's game?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think the depth is great. I think it's gotten better; namely this year I think the depth has gotten a lot better.
I think when I first started it was Monica Seles, Steffi Graf, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Martina Hingis. So it was probably even more depth back then, but now I think it's getting to be just as much.

Q. How do you rank this season in your career?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it's been a great season. I was asked that on the court. I have to say number two only because I didn't have two Grand Slams in the beginning. I faltered in the French and fell in the first round. I beat my record for 2002 match-wise, but, yeah, I didn't do so well at the French obviously or in Australia.
But it's close. It's neck and neck, really neck and neck.

Q. When you look back after couple of years, what is the biggest thing you're going to you remember about this tournament?
SERENA WILLIAMS: About this tournament?

Q. Yeah.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'll probably remember the fans, how amazing and excited they were. The karaoke sign, the guy had the sign that said, Are we going to karaoke tonight? He knows I'm a big karaoke addict.
So I'll remember all those things.

Q. You said you knew you were a heavy favorite coming into this tournament. How heavy a favorite will you be at the Australian Open, do you think?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Gosh, I don't know. I'll probably be one of the favorites, but, I mean, you can never underestimate Victoria or Maria or so many other players, like Kvitova, who's doing really well. There are a lot of other young players that are playing really well.
It's one thing to be a favorite, but it's another thing to show up and show the reason why you're the favorite.

Q. Have you got another Serena slam in you?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. I could. We'll see. I have a chance. Hopefully.

Q. On Monday on the media day, Li Na was speaking about you and she said that when Serena is on her 100% she's impossible beat. Do you feel invincible? Obviously she's right.
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I always said that if I'm playing well and I'm doing everything right, you know, it's really difficult to beat me. I still believe that, which is great that I still can kind of play that way.
You know, I feel like there are ways for me to improve, but I feel like it's -- I think it's a true statement, without trying to sound full of myself or anything.

Q. Patrick suggested that despite all you've achieved in the game that you can still improve. Do you agree with that? If so, can you say how you go about it without giving away secrets?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I definitely think I can improve. Especially when I was out there today I thought, Okay, I want to work on this in November. Oh, okay, I'm going to work on that one in November.
So I was thinking of all these things I can work on and I can improve on. I think every day, whether it's life or whether it's playing tennis, we always can improve as people or as whatever we do.
So the day I feel that I can't improve, I think that's the day I should probably hang up my racquet.

Q. At the top of the game at the moment you have, as it were, two 31 year olds, Roger Federer and yourself. What do you think that says about the longevity of tennis? If a young player is coming in now, they're probably got a very long career ahead of them before they actually reach their ultimate.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think it's been a great development. I think Roger and myself - and Venus is still swinging and winning tournaments. So it just goes to show that you we can still do well and play well at an older age.
I don't know if it's for everyone, though. Different strokes for different folks. It's definitely for myself and Roger and Venus. Yeah, we like it. We love the game. We love to play. We love being competitive. We love the competition. It's our life.

Q. Could you ever imagine a time when you wouldn't want to be competitive and out there playing tennis?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Not necessarily. I was playing Family Feud earlier today with my phone, on my smartphone, I should say, and I was really competitive with some other person in the digital world. I don't even know who they were and I got angry.
Yeah, I think I'm still ready to play tennis.

Q. They announced the candidates for the 2014 locations for the tournament. How much of a priority do you think it should be for the WTA to find somewhere that can kind of replicate this kind of environment, this sort of overflow crowds you get here, the enthusiasm, because it hasn't always been that way.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, no, it hasn't been. But when you're moving a tournament year after year or ever few years, it's not easy. You have to build a fan base.
I think in Turkey we were really quite fortunate in a way to be able to have such amazing tennis fans and amazing people. You also have great players, great star power that bring in the crowds as well.
So I think it's definitely important, but at the same time, some cities that might get chosen may need help in their tennis world or might have a bright future for a lot of tennis players.

Q. Start of the year you tore up your ankle in Brisbane.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Don't remind me.

Q. I know. Thinking back to that and not sure if you could play the Aussie, if you would've know you would've gotten to this point where you're Olympic gold and Wimbledon, and US Open champion, I guess you might have taken that, huh?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, definitely; although I was devastated when I went over on my ankle. Seems so long ago.
I guess, you know, you just got to take -- this is why I just got to take things as they come. I was positive. There is no way I should have played, but I thought, I'm not going to travel 8,000 miles to go back home.
So I won a few matches. It was nice. Afterwards I stayed a you few days and I had fun. I love that place, so, you know, it definitely was worth -- I don't know if it was worth it, but I definitely was able to get some rest and play some more matches.

Q. So Patrick says you're going to be training in Mauritius.
SERENA WILLIAMS: He talks a lot.

Q. Yeah, he does. That's a change for you. No L.A., no Florida. He didn't talk that much.

Q. But he said you were training in Mauritius. For you to put yourself out there, staying in Paris, going to Mauritius, not doing the normal things, is it something you're trying to do in your life to change things up and keep it fresh?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I mean, that's where everyone at his academy trains at the end of the year. So when we first started working out, that's all I wanted to do was go Mauritius, because I saw the pictures and it was so pretty. All I could think about - and I'm not kidding - in Stanford I went swimsuit shopping.
So six months in advance I have all my swimsuits and bikinis. Everyone is going to be training two and three times. I told Patrick, Now, look. I train in the morning and I'm at the beach in the afternoon. We have to have some sort of understanding here.
So I'm excited about that. It'll be like a mini vacation for me. I feel like I'll working hard and be laying out.

Q. I never seen you so fast to go to the net and play so much at the net.
SERENA WILLIAMS: On the?

Q. The net, play so offensive all the time. Do you think this is the evolution of yourself to play shorter points, always every match, and this is the best Serena? SERENA WILLIAMS: I didn't realize I came to the net. That's good. So when my dad is talking to me, I'll tell him what you said. I'm like, Daddy, I did come to the net. (Laughing.)

Q. The statistics are good.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Really? I'll have to look at 'em. It's funny. I don't feel like I was in at all. It's a totally different game when you go back and look at it as posed to being in the moment. You see so much more.
Definitely have to go back and look at the match.

Q. Is this the best Serena in' your mind?
SERENA WILLIAMS: The one that comes to the net?

Q. No, this one, this Serena.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. I can't say that. Like I said, I'm just always doing the best I can and looking to improve and, yeah, keep going forward.

Q. You've been playing very hard, and then maybe after tomorrow back to your country. So what are you imagining in Istanbul, the Turkish people?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I didn't understand the first part.

Q. You're playing all the week. You're playing hard.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm playing near?

Q. No, no, playing all week here.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Okay, yeah.

Q. Tomorrow it's back to your country maybe after tomorrow.
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, no, my country...

Q. No, what are your thoughts of Istanbul?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Okay, I'm sorry. It was so clear. It's me. It's not you.

Q. So for example, what are you doing tomorrow?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Okay. So Istanbul has been really great to me. Turkey has been great. I've heard so much about the city, so my goal is tomorrow to go into the city and see more.
I'm going to be here an extra day, so I'm excited to be here an extra day so I can kind of visit such a historic, amazing city that I've never been to before.
It'll be relaxing because I don't have anything to worry about playing a match, so it'll be good.

Q. I may be wrong, but at one point I hear you shouting in French, Allez.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Maybe next year at Roland Garros.

Q. So you didn't shout allez in French today?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, not yet.

Q. Anyway, I was told by Patrick that you're practicing in French, correct?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Practicing my French? Yes. Everyone at the academy speaks French to me. Sometimes I look like a der in headlights, and when in doubt I just nod and say, Oui.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Serena...icolo6743.html

Old Oct 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #717
country flag Pump-it-UP
Senior Stan

Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute Pump-it-UP has a reputation beyond repute

Q. Could you ever imagine a time when you wouldn't want to be competitive and out there playing tennis?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Not necessarily. I was playing Family Feud earlier today with my phone, on my smartphone, I should say, and I was really competitive with some other person in the digital world. I don't even know who they were and I got angry.

Q. But he said you were training in Mauritius. For you to put yourself out there, staying in Paris, going to Mauritius, not doing the normal things, is it something you're trying to do in your life to change things up and keep it fresh?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I mean, that's where everyone at his academy trains at the end of the year. So when we first started working out, that's all I wanted to do was go Mauritius, because I saw the pictures and it was so pretty. All I could think about - and I'm not kidding - in Stanford I went swimsuit shopping.
So six months in advance I have all my swimsuits and bikinis. Everyone is going to be training two and three times. I told Patrick, Now, look. I train in the morning and I'm at the beach in the afternoon. We have to have some sort of understanding here.
So I'm excited about that. It'll be like a mini vacation for me. I feel like I'll working hard and be laying out.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Practicing my French? Yes. Everyone at the academy speaks French to me. Sometimes I look like a der in headlights, and when in doubt I just nod and say, Oui.

Acted so dead and jetlagged in Stanford but she had the energy to go swimsuit shopping to impress Patrick.

GO AWAY Bitch!!! We don't want your Avon.
Pump-it-UP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #718
country flag JanNYC

JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump-it-UP View Post

Acted so dead and jetlagged in Stanford but she had the energy to go swimsuit shopping to impress Patrick.
well that's her man....I mean her coach lol
JanNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #719
country flag Nabalonge

Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute Nabalonge has a reputation beyond repute

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...152804935.html

Serena tells Mats there’s more to come

Nabalonge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #720
country flag nadlinds

October 28, 2012

Serena Williams

ISTANBUL, TURKEY

S. WILLIAMS/M. Sharapova
6‑4, 6‑3

Q. Congratulations.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Thank you.

Q. This wraps up obviously a big year for you. How important was it for you to get it title and end it on a good note all the same?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Now that I can be honest, I really wanted to win and win this title and put a little pressure on myself.
Yeah, I wanted it so bad but I didn't want to say it. I'm really excited that I was able to win it. I feel really good about ending the year.
Like it really was important for me to end the year with this title in particular, so I feel really good about it.

Q. How close were you to not playing this tournament potentially? I know you've been sick for sometime between here in the US Open.
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I was going to play the whole time. Yeah, it was never a doubt.

Q. Why all the pressure? Why after the year that you've had did you want to win this one so badly?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I had such a good year winning Wimbledon and US Open and stuff, Olympics, you know, it's like a heavy favorite going in to win this title, so for me it was really important. I mean, for my own sanity, so to say, I really wanted it, even though I didn't need it.
Like I don't think I needed to do anything else this year or any other year, but I really wanted to end on a good note.

Q. You've only lost one match since you lost at the French Open. How much credit of that goes to your new partnership with Patrick, or is there anything else that you've done to change? And just even bouncing back from that loss.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it's been an incredible run. I really love working with Patrick. He's been really, really positive and really awesome.
And I hate to lose. I think I went back to the drawing board. After Wimbledon my first few matches I was really, really tight, and I had a really great talk with my sister Isha who encouraged me a lot. I got better after that.
So I think it was a lot of factors that really helped me to be able to get better.

Q. You started the week a little bit slow and you really didn't have your rhythm, even though you didn't drop a set, and today was pretty good overall. Talk about the performance. She didn't have a break point; you were hitting winners from everywhere.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think she played really well today and I think she's improved so much, which is amazing that a player of her stature and caliber can still want to improve and still get better.
So I think that I played solid today. I think the last game I really played well. You know, when you're playing a player like Maria you always have to be focused for every point.

Q. Talk about how you focus. You get out there in front of this crowd, it's totally sold out, and people are yelling and screaming. Are you in your zone and able to block everything out and focus on the ball?
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I go through different emotions. Sometimes it's really exciting. Like when you first walk out on the court it's like, Wow, they're here, they're for you.
You see the sold out crowd and it's completely packed and you see all the signs and people sitting on the stairs with no seats just filling in the arena even more. It's cool, really cool.
Then you have to come to the moment where now you have to play. So for me, I have to kind of separate that. I think it's just staying focused and thinking about wanting to win every point.

Q. You played in so many Grand Slams and so many of these Championships. What do you think about the quality of the women's game now as compared to how it was perhaps when you' first emerged as a player, the depth of quality in the women's game?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think the depth is great. I think it's gotten better; namely this year I think the depth has gotten a lot better.
I think when I first started it was Monica Seles, Steffi Graf, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Martina Hingis. So it was probably even more depth back then, but now I think it's getting to be just as much.

Q. How do you rank this season in your career?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it's been a great season. I was asked that on the court. I have to say number two only because I didn't have two Grand Slams in the beginning. I faltered in the French and fell in the first round. I beat my record for 2002 match‑wise, but, yeah, I didn't do so well at the French obviously or in Australia.
But it's close. It's neck and neck, really neck and neck.

Q. When you look back after couple of years, what is the biggest thing you're going to you remember about this tournament?
SERENA WILLIAMS: About this tournament?

Q. Yeah.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'll probably remember the fans, how amazing and excited they were. The karaoke sign, the guy had the sign that said, Are we going to karaoke tonight? He knows I'm a big karaoke addict.
So I'll remember all those things.

Q. You said you knew you were a heavy favorite coming into this tournament. How heavy a favorite will you be at the Australian Open, do you think?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Gosh, I don't know. I'll probably be one of the favorites, but, I mean, you can never underestimate Victoria or Maria or so many other players, like Kvitova, who's doing really well. There are a lot of other young players that are playing really well.
It's one thing to be a favorite, but it's another thing to show up and show the reason why you're the favorite.

Q. Have you got another Serena slam in you?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. I could. We'll see. I have a chance. Hopefully.

Q. On Monday on the media day, Li Na was speaking about you and she said that when Serena is on her 100% she's impossible beat. Do you feel invincible? Obviously she's right.
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I always said that if I'm playing well and I'm doing everything right, you know, it's really difficult to beat me. I still believe that, which is great that I still can kind of play that way.
You know, I feel like there are ways for me to improve, but I feel like it's ‑‑ I think it's a true statement, without trying to sound full of myself or anything.

Q. Patrick suggested that despite all you've achieved in the game that you can still improve. Do you agree with that? If so, can you say how you go about it without giving away secrets?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I definitely think I can improve. Especially when I was out there today I thought, Okay, I want to work on this in November. Oh, okay, I'm going to work on that one in November.
So I was thinking of all these things I can work on and I can improve on. I think every day, whether it's life or whether it's playing tennis, we always can improve as people or as whatever we do.
So the day I feel that I can't improve, I think that's the day I should probably hang up my racquet.

Q. At the top of the game at the moment you have, as it were, two 31 year olds, Roger Federer and yourself. What do you think that says about the longevity of tennis? If a young player is coming in now, they're probably got a very long career ahead of them before they actually reach their ultimate.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think it's been a great development. I think Roger and myself ‑ and Venus is still swinging and winning tournaments. So it just goes to show that you we can still do well and play well at an older age.
I don't know if it's for everyone, though. Different strokes for different folks. It's definitely for myself and Roger and Venus. Yeah, we like it. We love the game. We love to play. We love being competitive. We love the competition. It's our life.

Q. They announced the candidates for the 2014 locations for the tournament. How much of a priority do you think it should be for the WTA to find somewhere that can kind of replicate this kind of environment, this sort of overflow crowds you get here, the enthusiasm, because it hasn't always been that way.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, no, it hasn't been. But when you're moving a tournament year after year or ever few years, it's not easy. You have to build a fan base.
I think in Turkey we were really quite fortunate in a way to be able to have such amazing tennis fans and amazing people. You also have great players, great star power that bring in the crowds as well.
So I think it's definitely important, but at the same time, some cities that might get chosen may need help in their tennis world or might have a bright future for a lot of tennis players.

Q. Start of the year you tore up your ankle in Brisbane.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Don't remind me.

Q. I know. Thinking back to that and not sure if you could play the Aussie, if you would've know you would've gotten to this point where you're Olympic gold and Wimbledon, and US Open champion, I guess you might have taken that, huh?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, definitely; although I was devastated when I went over on my ankle. Seems so long ago.
I guess, you know, you just got to take‑‑ this is why I just got to take things as they come. I was positive. There is no way I should have played, but I thought, I'm not going to travel 8,000 miles to go back home.
So I won a few matches. It was nice. Afterwards I stayed a you few days and I had fun. I love that place, so, you know, it definitely was worth‑‑ I don't know if it was worth it, but I definitely was able to get some rest and play some more matches.

Q. So Patrick says you're going to be training in Mauritius.
SERENA WILLIAMS: He talks a lot.

Q. Yeah, he does. That's a change for you. No L.A., no Florida. He didn't talk that much.

SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I mean, that's where everyone at his academy trains at the end of the year. So when we first started working out, that's all I wanted to do was go Mauritius, because I saw the pictures and it was so pretty. All I could think about‑ and I'm not kidding ‑ in Stanford I went swimsuit shopping.

Q. I never seen you so fast to go to the net and play so much at the net.
SERENA WILLIAMS: On the?

Q. The net, play so offensive all the time. Do you think this is the evolution of yourself to play shorter points, always every match, and this is the best Serena?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I didn't realize I came to the net. That's good. So when my dad is talking to me, I'll tell him what you said. I'm like, Daddy, I did come to the net. (Laughing.)

Q. The statistics are good.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Really? I'll have to look at 'em. It's funny. I don't feel like I was in at all. It's a totally different game when you go back and look at it as posed to being in the moment. You see so much more.
Definitely have to go back and look at the match.

Q. Is this the best Serena in' your mind?
SERENA WILLIAMS: The one that comes to the net?

Q. No, this one, this Serena.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. I can't say that. Like I said, I'm just always doing the best I can and looking to improve and, yeah, keep going forward.

Q. You've been playing very hard, and then maybe after tomorrow back to your country. So what are you imagining in Istanbul, the Turkish people?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I didn't understand the first part.

Q. You're playing all the week. You're playing hard.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm playing near?

Q. No, no, playing all week here.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Okay, yeah.

Q. Tomorrow it's back to your country maybe after tomorrow.
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, no, my country...

Q. No, what are your thoughts of Istanbul?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Okay, I'm sorry. It was so clear. It's me. It's not you.

Q. So for example, what are you doing tomorrow?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Okay. So Istanbul has been really great to me. Turkey has been great. I've heard so much about the city, so my goal is tomorrow to go into the city and see more.
I'm going to be here an extra day, so I'm excited to be here an extra day so I can kind of visit such a historic, amazing city that I've never been to before.
It'll be relaxing because I don't have anything to worry about playing a match, so it'll be good.

Q. I may be wrong, but at one point I hear you shouting in French, Allez.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Maybe next year at Roland Garros.

Q. So you didn't shout allez in French today?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, not yet.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=84620