Maria Still Has The Fight In Her, But Her Body Let Her Down Today - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #46
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold
Re: Maria Still Has The Fight In Her, But Her Body Let Her Down Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
I believe Maria lost the match in the 1st set.

She had great momentum service for the set at 5-1, then her predictable and inevitable bad serving patch showed up.
Although she eventually held to win the set, she lost great momentum going into the 2nd set.

At the same time, Vika regained her rythm, and Maria was playing catch up form time on.

That add tremendous stress when you go from holding easily in the first 6 games to suddenly facing bpts after bpts.
Yup that was actually the turning point in the match because Victoria broke Maria's serve and got confidence. Once Vika got her confidence back she was firmly into the match.

Maria also served a lot of double faults but I think she was really going for her second serves in this match.

This is where I think Maria NEEDS some strategy instead of trying to outhit Victoria why not try to change the pace?
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #47
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
I blame ever-improving racket string technology and Ivanisevic winning a slam for slowing down the courts. Watching Fed vs Sampras you could see he had a complete game for fast courts, it's a wonder he adapted so well. No wonder though he murders his current competition during ATP finals in London.
That is true, remember when the rain came and everyone was saying how they feared for Murray when the roof had to be closed? (Wimbledon final).

The very best players with great movement and ball striking always excel indoors. Guys like Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Becker, Sampras and now Federer all terrific indoors. It rewards skill and variety.

By the way, it is a pity the US Open courts seem so slow now compared to the early 2000s.

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #48
country flag Diesel
Been There... Won That... x2

Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
Don't mistake the grim look on her face, or the silly clenched fist, for real mental strength.

So nice to see her ridiculous high-risk serve come back to bite her.
Exactly.
Imperious in victory. Never conceiving the possibility of defeat. The greatest of her era. The self-belief, that smile, backhand, muscles, serve, personality, all larger than life. There's no greater sight in women's tennis than watching Serena J. Williams go to work.
The others are Great, but Serena's the Greatest

Diesel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #49
TSequoia01

TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future TSequoia01 has a brilliant future

It may be just me, but Maria lost that match because her forehand was awful. Everytime Vika wanted or needed a point she got it by hitting to Maria's forehand.

SERENA PRINCESS OF POWER
Victoria Duval - coming to a slam near you
Françoise Abanda definitely a future #1

Serena and Venus grannies with a purpose
Kimiko Date Krumm great granny still doing her thing.
TSequoia01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #50
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSequoia01 View Post
It may be just me, but Maria lost that match because her forehand was awful. Everytime Vika wanted or needed a point she got it by hitting to Maria's forehand.
With Maria lately, her FH does not just become awful.
It starts with bad serving patch(back to back DFs, easy to return serve) than spread other aspect of her games, including but not limited to her forehand.

IN today's match, she had total control of the match with everything (serve, FH, BH) clicking, until she serve for the set at 5-1.
Then the serve totally deserted her.

She struggle to eventually win the set, but she was never the same again from the start of 2nd set and on.
She was playing from behind all the time, having to face several break, while Vika was finding her rhythm.

As I wrote before, this is highly stressful situation to go from holding easily and breaking at will, to constantly face breakpoints in your own serve while the opponent is now holding easily.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #51
country flag FoxyliciousKhat

FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Keira is a bit too skinny..but Aniston is hottt!!
NO she's not!!! She just happened to be married overrated Brad Pitt and was probably the best looking woman on that horrible shot Friends, and thus was overhyped in the beauty department.

She's in the same category as Cameron Diaz and Rene Zellweger.

Foxy

WORD: Just because your friend or the pundits or the crowd doesn't agree or dislike something doesn't mean you need to, you are actually entitled to your own opinion even if it doesn't agree with that of everyone else. Don't be a a negativity sheep!
FoxyliciousKhat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #52
country flag FoxyliciousKhat

FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute FoxyliciousKhat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbian_siren View Post
there's having issues, and then there's threatening to shove a ball down somebody's throat.

it's on tape
They are are all on tape, they are all said or done in a heat of the moment. Some are just taken LITERALLY depending on who says or does the act.

Oh well we will never agree on this I guess.

Foxy

WORD: Just because your friend or the pundits or the crowd doesn't agree or dislike something doesn't mean you need to, you are actually entitled to your own opinion even if it doesn't agree with that of everyone else. Don't be a a negativity sheep!
FoxyliciousKhat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #53
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold

I do not think Sharapova is as mentally tough as the media are trying to say she is. When Sharapova gets tight she double faults a lot. I also think Sharapova is not as good an athlete as Azarenka. Victoria is much quicker and a superior athlete than Maria.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #54
country flag LindsayRulz

LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute

Well you have to take into account that it was her third three set match in a row after that highly emotional fight against Petrova and that weird match against Bartoli in which she somehow found a way to win whereas she looked dead and extremely unemotional for Maria's standards. You just knew at that point that she'd lose to either Azarenka or Serena, she didn't look fresh enough to go all the way that's for sure. Besides, she wasn't coming into this USO with the best preparation either ; she got that virus after the Olympics and didn't play any of the USO series events, I guess that didn't help. But you have to give the girl a break after that great year she's had though. She's been far in the draws of every big events except for Wimbledon.
LindsayRulz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote