Is Serena the Only Heavyweight? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #16
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Serena the Only Heavyweight?

Quote:
i fully recognise serena has more strength than most, but nevertheless, i've never heard anyone use this analogy while commentating on sharapova/kvitova dismantling an opponent
even Mats Trollander was telling this about Errani-Sahrapova matchup

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

32 WTA titles , including 12 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #17
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
add her to Stosur and Na , but she is more and more becoming punchbag in this weight

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr.graphics thread
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #18
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
even Mats Trollander was telling this about Errani-Sahrapova matchup
ok, thanks. wasn't aware of that
lloyders76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #19
country flag roguedandelion

roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all

I have actually heard them refer to Sharapova as a heavy weight when crushing some hapless little girl. Tbh, there are far too many boxy analogies in American tennis commentary.
roguedandelion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #20
country flag FattyKid

FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice FattyKid is just really nice

Serena's not even big by American standards
FattyKid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #21
country flag Diesel
Been There... Won That... x2

Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute Diesel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
I think they referring to man like serving by Rena
What's woman like serving?
Imperious in victory. Never conceiving the possibility of defeat. The greatest of her era. The self-belief, that smile, backhand, muscles, serve, personality, all larger than life. There's no greater sight in women's tennis than watching Serena J. Williams go to work.
The others are Great, but Serena's the Greatest

Diesel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #22
country flag Morrissey

Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold Morrissey is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyders76 View Post
yet again i'm hearing commentators (eurosport) using the same old boxing analogy in referring to serena as a heavyweight and her opponent as light/middle etc

i fully recognise serena has more strength than most, but nevertheless, i've never heard anyone use this analogy while commentating on sharapova/kvitova dismantling an opponent

there are allusions here which i don't feel are entirely acceptable. tennis is not won by strength alone, yet even if it was, there are other physically imposing players

it feels it's a mainstay of commentators to continually refer to serena's physicality above her skills as a tennis player. is it her type of build which provokes this, or is it the persistent belief that she and venus are athletes first, tennis players second?
I think the OP is alluding to the racism and sexism black female athletes experience in a white supremacist culture.

People may think it is a complement but it is also a backhanded racist and sexist comment.

The heavyweight comment is attempting to make Serena appear masculine and not feminine.

It is just like Cibulkova and Jankovic calling Stosur half a man because she can hit a big kick serve.

These racist commentators don't mention Serena's intelligence, or her strategy, or her out thinking her opponents on court.

It is offensive but not surprising the subtle racist bigotry Serena experiences because she's a black woman.

The Eurosport commentators call Serena a heavyweight because they are racist. If Serena was a white woman I doubt she would be called a heavyweight. Is Samantha Stosur a heavyweight she has bigger muscles than Serena? What about Mauresmo she's a pretty strong woman too.
Morrissey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #23
country flag TennisSLO

TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice TennisSLO is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
What's woman like serving?
Errani serve.
TennisSLO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #24
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisSLO View Post
Errani serve.
And Maria (before her shoulder fucked up her serve), Petrova, Sam and other less known players with big serve? Kiki Vandeweghe

Are you referring to speed or disguise?

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #25
country flag Becool

Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute Becool has a reputation beyond repute

kerber? shes heavyweight for sure.

serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki
vesnina × keys × mladenovic

facebook ~ twitter
[#ps - in portuguese]
Becool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #26
country flag lloyders76

lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of lloyders76 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I think the OP is alluding to the racism and sexism black female athletes experience in a white supremacist culture.

People may think it is a complement but it is also a backhanded racist and sexist comment.

The heavyweight comment is attempting to make Serena appear masculine and not feminine.

It is just like Cibulkova and Jankovic calling Stosur half a man because she can hit a big kick serve.

These racist commentators don't mention Serena's intelligence, or her strategy, or her out thinking her opponents on court.

It is offensive but not surprising the subtle racist bigotry Serena experiences because she's a black woman.

The Eurosport commentators call Serena a heavyweight because they are racist. If Serena was a white woman I doubt she would be called a heavyweight. Is Samantha Stosur a heavyweight she has bigger muscles than Serena? What about Mauresmo she's a pretty strong woman too.

i'm wary of making this about race, i don't post much but i read the level of debate most people descend to on here.

but thanks for recognising my issue with this line of commentary, Serena is a player with terrific technique, court smarts and feel. that's why the insinuation that it's an unfair match due to serena's size rankles
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #27
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i'm wary of making this about race, i don't post much but i read the level of debate most people descend to on here.

but thanks for recognising my issue with this line of commentary, Serena is a player with terrific technique, court smarts and feel. that's why the insinuation that it's an unfair match due to serena's size rankles
Welcome to the TF.

For many posters here , they would not bother with insinuations or other cloak language.
They are perfectly OK with reducing Serena's game to brute force, followed by she should join the ATP.

They disingenuously dismiss any other aspect of her game that has nothing to do with power.
The disguise and placement of her serve, her non-changing toss motion regardless of where she is serving.

For example, they discount or take away the work and time she put in to perfect her serve, the adjustment she makes on court during the matches, the anticipation...etc..

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #28
country flag lloyders76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Welcome to the TF.

For many posters here , they would not bother with insinuations or other cloak language.
They are perfectly OK with reducing Serena's game to brute force, followed by she should join the ATP.

They disingenuously dismiss any other aspect of her game that has nothing to do with power.
The disguise and placement of her serve, her non-changing toss motion regardless of where she is serving.

For example, they discount or take away the work and time she put in to perfect her serve, the adjustment she makes on court during the matches, the anticipation...etc..

i hesitate to say this as a big venus fan, and it's probably simplifying, but given they both have power and physical gifts (not identical gifts obvs) i think serena demonstrates how far you can take that if you are technically sound, smart and willing to alter stroke production to become as effective as possible

i'm not sure venus has done the same and their careers have diverged hugely in the last 4 years

amazing to think that going into their 08 us open qtr venus was on 7 slams to serena's 8, and prob would have equalled serena had she taken that match, instead serena has surged ahead in the stats
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #29
country flag tennisbum79

Quote:
i hesitate to say this as a big venus fan, and it's probably simplifying, but given they both have power and physical gifts (not identical gifts obvs) i think serena demonstrates how far you can take that if you are technically sound, smart and willing to alter stroke production to become as effective as possible

i'm not sure venus has done the same and their careers have diverged hugely in the last 4 years

amazing to think that going into their 08 us open qtr venus was on 7 slams to serena's 8, and prob would have equalled serena had she taken that match, instead serena has surged ahead in the stats
I don't want to make this a Serena-Venus thread.

I am also primarily a Venus fan, and I think her biggest problem is her stubbornness.

Serena is not shy or afraid at seeking input outside of her inner circle.
I have no solid evidence, but just by observation, I think she is more willing and eager to develop specific aspects of her game than Venus.

Serena has hired people to work on specific area of her development.

For example, before coming back form her illness, she hired a fitness coach just to get her endurance and muscle strength to an adequate level.
Right now, she has been working with a French consultant she hire around FO, I heard his role is more psychological than technical or physical.
All these things keep Serena ahead of the game.

Old Sep 8th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #30
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there are other 'heavyweights'. In the last couple days, I actually referred to the Azarenka-Sharapova macthup as a light-heavyweight fighting a heavyweight more than once.

But besides Sharapova, Stosur and Safina and Venus and Davenport all come right to mind. I'm not sure Kvitova is really a legit heavyweight. Bluntly, she overweight. Bartoli is no heaveyweight either, trimmed down the way she is now.

I know that kind of language is loaded for some of you, both racially and sexually, but for fight fans, it's an obvious analogy. They are both combat sports, one perhaps the most refined, one perhaps the most primal, but both combat sports.

Henin could whack the hell out of the ball, but she had to put her whole body into the shot to do it. Serena can 'arm' the ball and still hit it hard.

The lighter-weight players do win. Sometimes. Like today. Azarenka didn't, to me, seem to be hitting as hard as Sharapova, but she was hitting it hard, and accurately, and she attacked Sharapova's forehand like a tiger shark, even when the balls were coming back faster 10mph faster than she hit hem.

But Errani was a flyweight fighting a heavyweight. Her only shot in that match was Serena getting impatient. The balls she hits are traveling so slowly, Serena had no trouble setting up perfectly for almost every shot.

NOTE: I thought, pre-match, Errani might give Serena trouble.