So does this weekend pretty much determine player of the year? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #31
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So does this weekend pretty much determine player of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roookie View Post
You said it. And again since when Olympics is more important than tournaments like Indian Wells/Rome
Just so you know, I've never been one of those people that say the Olympics is not important.

Ask Andy Murray how important it was to him?

Of course it's important, cause the top/best players made it important (and rearranged their entire schedules and played -HUSH-Fed Cup for it).

Yes being an almost part time player may not be the fairest thing (cause it keeps Rena fresh/fresher against her peers).

However, if she wins the US Open, it's pretty much a wrap on the year, even if one of the others wins the YEC (cause Wimby, Olympic Gold and US Open trumps, their one slam, the YEC, and anything else they won). Sorry.

And if someones fave won the Olympic this year, they would call it the "5th major", touting how important it was, regardless of what they may of said in the past.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #32
country flag TheLegendof

TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrunt View Post
Yes, and it will be Serena--by a landslide.
Oh, I hope so!
TheLegendof is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #33
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: So does this weekend pretty much determine player of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
yes, 2GS proves she is champion but not the POY, for me overall performance on tour is what important when choosing POY, personally i don't like when people(players\fans\journalists\etc..) put GS above the rest of the tour, GS should be pinnacle of the tour but not the only tournament on the tour that matters
Let me try this
How many times has Serena beaten these players in 2012?
Maria, vika, Aga, Petra . Top 5 except Petra

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #34
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

Probably. And this conversation includes Errani too. Were she to win this on top of her RG final she'd have a very good case.

Never mind that she's already doubles team of the year and favourite to take 2/4 slams.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #35
country flag TheLegendof

TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future TheLegendof has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
I will admit that Rena is a GOAT if
1) she wins 18 GS
2) she wins her second RG
3) one or two more tour Championships are also necessary

the second point is the most complicated to accomplish for Serena , to my mind
I see that as hard but fair. Winning another French seems an almost impossibility for Serena now, but you never know, she may surprise us -- I personally think she needs 18 and RG, but don't really care about YEC.
TheLegendof is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #36
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

If Serena wins, she has POY on lockdown. It'll be interesting if Maria or Vika win USO but Serena manages to win YEC.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #37
country flag sweetadri06

sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute sweetadri06 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we have this conversation after the USopen? It's pointless to talk about hypothetical.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #38
country flag blackandblue

blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of blackandblue has much to be proud of

The gap in accomplishment between finalist and winner is greater than that between a 1st round loser and a finalist.
blackandblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #39
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Vika has simply been more impressive overall, no R1/early round slam loss either.
She also hasn't been in a final in almost 6 months and hasn't won a title in almost 8.

EIGHTEEN GRAND SLAMS
LaReina Jameka Williams
MrSerenaWilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #40
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSerenaWilliams View Post
She also hasn't been in a final in almost 6 months and hasn't won a title in almost 8.
Yep. Vika's been consistent, but her results since Indian Wells don't scream "PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!!111"

Even if Serena doesn't win this tournament (she will, but still) she's still the only one of the big three who has won titles on all surfaces. Azarenka has won, what, 4 titles this year and all came in the first three months of the year on hard courts and Maria's three titles all came on clay.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #41
country flag MrSerenaWilliams
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute MrSerenaWilliams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
Yep. Vika's been consistent, but her results since Indian Wells don't scream "PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!!111"

Even if Serena doesn't win this tournament (she will, but still) she's still the only one of the big three who has won titles on all surfaces. Azarenka has won, what, 4 titles this year and all came in the first three months of the year on hard courts and Maria's three titles all came on clay.
I don't know if it's her cooling off or everyone else picking up, but I think it's interesting that after starting the year at 26-0, she hasn't been to a final since Madrid.

I would even argue that Maria's having a better year even with 1 less title

EIGHTEEN GRAND SLAMS
LaReina Jameka Williams
MrSerenaWilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #42
country flag acetoace

acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute acetoace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roookie View Post
So now Olympics count as a Grand Slam..now that Serena won it ...when for years her stans claimed it was just a glorified exhibition event.

Serena is out of the question for Player of the Year...1R at Roland Garros 4rd Australian Open. The winner of Azarenka/Sharapova should get POY.

Just because u said so don't make it so particularly if they fail to win 2 slams. POY is in the bag for Serena should she lift the 2012 USO trophy. What more, tennis pundist and those that count in tennis world will state exactly just that. They never fail. IT'S HOW THE GAME ROLLS. WATCH AND LEARN.

Lastly, can u show us the thread/post, article, blog or whatever where a Serena fan claimed the Olympics is just a glorified exhibition?
acetoace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #43
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
Let me try this
How many times has Serena beaten these players in 2012?
Maria, vika, Aga, Petra . Top 5 except Petra
she beat Maria and Vika on fast slippery surfaces(grass , blueclay) and not even managed to reach them on all others

And when speaking about accomplishment H2H is irrelevant. Serena lost in the 1st round of FO and 4th round of AO and can't compensate it with her H2H vs top players.

If Serena wins US Open , her 2012 achievements will be greater than anyone's in the tour this year..

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #44
country flag Vikapower

Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute Vikapower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you a kid ? Victoria was on rate that she obviously was never going to keep for whole of the season -- you sound ridiculous especially that all the SF Victoria lost this year were against the winner and relative top heavy favorite for the title.

Victoria's last F was in Madrid, on grass she's far from being the top favorite and lost both times to Serena -- since then, she's played one joke match against Paszek and she's yet in another SF in the US Open -- so what exactly is your point, we have no idea.
Vikapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #45
country flag Papi

Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold Papi is a splendid one to behold

This year's USO will bring quite the excitement the WTA needs with three of the top stars of the game literally competing for POY - and I think the winner deserves to have that year-end title...
Papi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote