Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 256 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3826
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Well, of course her critics were right in saying that she needed to improve her offense, and I would never have had a problem with them saying that. That's what the're there for. But in Caroline's case the criticism went way beyond that. All throughout her career, or at least starting from when she became number one you got the impression that they were rooting against her. I've never heard anything like it in all the years that I've been following tennis.

Even now it still continues. Throughout her first round match of this USO eurosport commentators limited themselves to a one hour plus Caro bashing fest (by the same two characters that were bashing Sharapova in her last match btw - hence my comment yesterday that these two apparently were employed to ruin what would otherwise be good entertainment). Of course there was a lot to criticize about Caro in that match, but enough is enough already. Besides, they got on her case from the start of the match before they even knew what would happen.

But ok, eurosports usual team of Bradnam, Reed, Smith and Durie are ok because they don't have an anti-Caro agenda. But when I read how American commentators behaved towards her I would if I were Caro punch them on the nose if I met them.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #3827
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, of course her critics were right in saying that she needed to improve her offense, and I would never have had a problem with them saying that. That's what the're there for. But in Caroline's case the criticism went way beyond that. All throughout her career, or at least starting from when she became number one you got the impression that they were rooting against her. I've never heard anything like it in all the years that I've been following tennis.

Even now it still continues. Throughout her first round match of this USO eurosport commentators limited themselves to a one hour plus Caro bashing fest (by the same two characters that were bashing Sharapova in her last match btw - hence my comment yesterday that these two apparently were employed to ruin what would otherwise be good entertainment). Of course there was a lot to criticize about Caro in that match, but enough is enough already. Besides, they got on her case from the start of the match before they even knew what would happen.

But ok, eurosports usual team of Bradnam, Reed, Smith and Durie are ok because they don't have an anti-Caro agenda. But when I read how American commentators behaved towards her I would if I were Caro punch them on the nose if I met them.
Well, we do know that Caroline has some experience with boxing...maybe your idea will one day become a reality?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3828
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Even now it still continues. Throughout her first round match of this USO eurosport commentators limited themselves to a one hour plus Caro bashing fest
Navratilova and this Mary 'something' woman?

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3829
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak for Europe but over hear she is basically being completely ignored. I'm not sure if that is good or bad? Basically all we hear is "Serena! Serena! Serena! Maria! Serena! Maria!"

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3830
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
No. Two males, I don't even know their names but recognize the voices after one week of USO. Two former lower tier British players I guess. There's also a female commentating on some of the matches. First name is Lucy, I didn't understand the family name. She's quite good. I don't know why they don't have their usual team of Chris Bradnam, Sam Smith , Jo Durie and Simon Reed on the job. I guess they work for other stations during the USO.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3831
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFox View Post
Actually I felt like Caro did have the game to win a major. It just needed some additions and she would've been a major threat.

I wish she didn't listen to those who said change your game, but I can't change that and neither can she. All she can do now is move forward.
Caroline was already in a slam final, had match point for a 2nd slam final, and was in 2 other slam semis.
Azarenka, Kvitova have only been in one slam final also, and not more slam semis than Caroline.

But Caroline didnt believe in her game, or she would not have changed so drastically.
There was no reason to blow up such a successful game. 99% of the tour would love to be winning 6 titles a year and be in 3 US Open semis in a row

But she did blow up her old game, and now she's almost starting from even with Petrova, Kirilenko, Cibulkova.
Thats about where she is in the race
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3832
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

I think Caro needs to find a good balance between defense and offense (again). That's something she had during her post Wimbledon 2010 hot streak. She maybe needed a little more pop on her shots.

Her grass and clay game needs a lot of improvement though as she's never made it to the quarters of Wimbledon and only once to the quarters of the French Open.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3833
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
But Caroline didnt believe in her game, or she would not have changed so drastically.
There was no reason to blow up such a successful game. 99% of the tour would love to be winning 6 titles a year and be in 3 US Open semis in a row
If you mean that she shouldn't have dismantled her game by doing something highly different then,yes,you're right.

If you meant that she shouldn't have done ANYthing to modify her play,then that would've been like waiting for Godot: Caroline waiting in vain for in-form players to make an UE on critical points instead of being able to put away such players with a key shot when necessary.It would've been the same slam SF--with perhaps a rare final thrown in--and always the same result.The Buffalo Bills went to the SB 4 years in a row and lost EVERY time...only the first one was competitive and,thereafter,they lost to a superior team from the other conference who knew how to exploit the weaknesses they failed to address

Caroline didn't just want to REACH Slam semis,she wanted to win the whole event,and that necessitated some additional ingredients;unfortunately,she went about adding them in the wrong way

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Descansa en paz, Pedro Armendariz--OTRA victima de la incompetencia del hospital IMSS
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #3834
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Chris Bowers. That's the name of one of them.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3835
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
If you mean that she shouldn't have dismantled her game by doing something highly different then,yes,you're right.

If you meant that she shouldn't have done ANYthing to modify her play,then that would've been like waiting for Godot: Caroline waiting in vain for in-form players to make an UE on critical points instead of being able to put away such players with a key shot when necessary.It would've been the same slam SF--with perhaps a rare final thrown in--and always the same result.The Buffalo Bills went to the SB 4 years in a row and lost EVERY time...only the first one was competitive and,thereafter,they lost to a superior team from the other conference who knew how to exploit the weaknesses they failed to address

Caroline didn't just want to REACH Slam semis,she wanted to win the whole event,and that necessitated some additional ingredients;unfortunately,she went about adding them in the wrong way
I agree with this, I don't think Caro change her game style all the way, but she does need too add something new too her game, and need a weapon to help when she in trouble or to close out matches she can't always wait on the errors, I still think she can win an slam as well but she has too improve on somethings

S. Stephens | M. Keys | A. Riske | C. Vandeweghe | J. Hampton | T. Townsend | V. Duval | S. Vickery | S. Crawford

L. Chirico | Cici. Bellis |T. Black | H. Black | J. Daniel | M. Gordon | S. Kenin | W. Osuigwe | M. Shishkina | G. Faith Andrews
Trey is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #3836
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

What she really needs to fix now is her lack of precision. If she cant find a court with her shots it's not going to work either way: defence or offence.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3837
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, she's one of the greatest players in history, so I'm sure she's a tennis expert. I don't think she's much of a Caro expert though. Perhaps that's the problem with some of these former greats, including the two Martina's and Chrissie. They think that whatever worked for them will or should also work for everyone else without taking into consideration that every player has a different set of skills and different strenghts and weaknesses which may be totally different from what theirs used to be.
Yes, it seems to me that she thinks players nowadays just suck and doesn't appreciate the womens game much. And, due to a lack of real interest she has a lack of insight. Also, I think she prefers players who play aggressively and harps on those who play a defensive game. She is a tennis observer but I don't think she can be considered to be an expert, especially not on this era.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #3838
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Yes, it seems to me that she thinks players nowadays just suck and doesn't appreciate the womens game much. And, due to a lack of real interest she has a lack of insight. Also, I think she prefers players who play aggressively and harps on those who play a defensive game. She is a tennis observer but I don't think she can be considered to be an expert, especially not on this era.
It's often been said that legendary players make lousy coaches cuz they want everyone to be as obsessed with winning as THEY were.Maybe that quasi-neurotic obsession is what often makes them sucky-ass commentators,too;however,SW is sorta fixated in that same way,and SHE likes Caroline,so it hasn't been a 100% shutout in that respect for Caro

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Descansa en paz, Pedro Armendariz--OTRA victima de la incompetencia del hospital IMSS
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3839
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

It's been about a week since Caro last played. Any updates on her knee?
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #3840
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
It's been about a week since Caro last played. Any updates on her knee?
Yeah,Caro put a banjo on it and recorded a bluegrass album

Closed Thread