US Open Results - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #166
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
Re: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stewart View Post
August 28 to September 9
------------------------------------

First Round
Billie Jean King [1] d. Patty Hogan 6-3 6-2
Esme Emanuel (SA) d. Linda Tuero 7-6 4-6 6-3
Sharon Walsh d. Lita Liem (Indon) 7-6 3-6 6-3
Sue Stap d. Mary-Ann Beattie 4-6 6-4 6-3

Virginia Wade (GB) [8] d. Maria-Isabel Fernandez (Col) 6-4 6-3
Julie Anthony d. Janet Newberry 2-6 6-2 6-3
Barbara Downs d. Sue Molesworth (GB) 6-2 6-4
Susan Minford (Ire) d. Pam Austin 6-1 6-1

Rosie Casals [4] d. Nathalie Fuchs (Frn) 6-1 6-2
Valerie Ziegenfuss d. Cynthia Doerner (Aus) 6-1 3-6 6-0
Fiorella Bonicelli (Urug) d. Vicky Berner (Can) 6-3 6-4
Wendy Gilchrist (Aus) d. Maria-Eugenia Guzman (Ecu) 6-0 6-3

Margaret Court (Aus) [5] d. Janice Metcalf 6-2 6-1
Barbara Hawcroft (AUS) d. Ana Maria Pinto Bravo(Chile) 6-3 6-4
W. Appleby d. P. Moore 6-3 6-3
Lesley Hunt (Aus) d. Jeanne Evert 6-2 6-1

Wendy Overton d. Maria-Teresa Nasuelli (Ity) 6-1 1-6 6-2
Betty Stove (Neth) d. Laurie Fleming 3-6 6-0 6-1
Olga Morozova (USSR) d. Kristien Kemmer 6-3 5-7 6-0
Kazuko Sawamatsu (Jap) d. Nancy Gunter [6] 6-4 4-6 6-3

Julie Heldman d. Kathy Blake 4-6 6-4 6-3
Laura Dupont d. Judy Alvarez 6-1 6-2
Marita Redondo d. T. O'Shaughnessy 6-1 6-3
Chris Evert [3] d. Laurie Tenney 6-1 6-1

Ceci Martinez def. Rosalba Vido (Ity) 6-0 6-4
Kerry Melville (Aus) [9] d. Marina Kroschina (USSR) 6-2 6-4
Kristy Pigeon d. S. Vinton 6-1 6-1
Francoise Durr (Frn) [7] d. Brenda Garcia 6-4 6-1

Pam Teeguarden d. Christina Sandberg (Swd) 6-2 6-4
Mona Schallau d. Helen Gourlay (Aus) 6-4 6-3
Karen Krantzcke (Aus) d. Lindsey Beaven (GB) 6-2 6-2
Evonne Goolagong (Aus) [2] d. Brenda Kirk(SA) 6-2 6-2
----------------------------------------------------------
Second Round
King [1] d. Emanuel 6-1 6-3
Walsh d. Stap 7-5 3-6 6-4
Wade [8] d. Anthony 6-4 7-5
Downs d. Minford 6-4 7-6

Casals [4] d. Ziegenfuss 6-3 6-4
Bonicelli d. Gilchrist 6-2 7-6
Court [5] d. Hawcroft 6-0 6-0
Hunt d. Appleby 6-1 6-0

Stove d. Overton 6-2 6-2
Morozova d. K.Sawamatsu 6-4 6-4
J.Heldman d. L.Dupont 6-3 7-6
Evert [3] d. Redondo 6-3 6-3

Melville [9] d. C. Martinez 6-2 6-4
Durr [7] d. Pigeon 6-7 6-1 6-4
Teeguarden d. Schallau 6-4 6-4
Goolagong [2] d. Krantzcke 6-3 7-5
---------------------------------------------
Third Round
King [1] d. Walsh 6-4 6-4
Wade [8] d. Downs 6-3 6-2
Casals [4] d. Bonicelli 6-0 6-4
Court [5] d. Hunt 6-2 6-1

Morozova d. Stove 6-3 7-5
Evert [3] d. J.Heldman 6-1 6-2
Melville [9] d. Durr [7] 1-6 6-0 6-2
Teeguarden d. Goolagong [2] 7-5 6-1
------------------------------------------------------------
Quarters
King [1] d. Wade [8] 6-2 7-5
Court [5] d. Casals [4] 6-4 4-6 6-4
Evert [3] d. Morozova 3-6 6-3 7-6
Melville [9] d. Teeguarden 6-0 6-2

Semis
King [1] d. Court [5] 6-4 6-4
Melville [9] d. Evert [3] 6-4 6-2

Final
King [1] d. Melville [9] 6-3 7-5
--------------------------------------------------------
Liem=maiden name of Sugiarto
Kemmer=maiden name of Shaw.

The first big upset came early, as Nancy Gunter lost to fellow baseliner Kazuko Sawamatsu, who ran Nancy to death from corner to corner then dropshotted her. Evonne Goolagong's debut at the US Open was a short run. Goolagong led Pam Teeguarden 5-4 40-15 when she was beaten by 2 powerful forehands. The Aussie got only 1 more game as she went down "slow of foot, languid in manner, and lost in some drreamworld of her own."

Casals had Court on the ropes in their quarter. Margaret's husband Barry had to take their crying baby out of the stadium-and it looked as if Court was going to be crying as Casals led 4-2 15-40 on the Aussie's serve in the third. Ah, but the champ in Court then pulled out the stops, even if she did slip twice on the slippery grass,once with her racquet flying out of her hands. Meanwhile Rosie "wilted on the brink of victory", double faulting to end the match.

Morozova threw it all at Evert-mixing up "nothing balls" with forays to the net. "No two returns were alike". Evert turned the tide and seemed to have it won, leasing 5-2 in the 3rd, when the Russian stormed back with flashing forehands to surge to 6-5. Chrissie barely survived by sweeping the tiebreak. "It had been a sparkling, thrilling. memorable contest. It was voted the women's match of tournament.

Wade "fought like to tigress" vs. King, but could only manage to fend off 5 match points before going down.

'The two semis were contrasts in style and personality. King-Court was full of robust, forceful, all-court attack, while the Kerry Melville-Chrissie envcounter was all-femininity, reminiscent of the 1930's in it's baseline exchanges."

King was more consistent in her attack-Court made too many forehand errors to keep up. Kerry's "forceful forehand" had Evert on the move, throwing in the occasional drop shot to take Chris out of her groove. Evert got to almost every one, only to have Kerry rocket a passing shot by her. Melville's win shocked the stadium, who were xpecting a Billie Jean-Chris final.

Chrissie-mania was more subdued than in 1971, but the women (and the Open) were still big attractions in large part because of her. When there were complaints about the women getting "too much exposure" Chris and her sister
Jeanne were scheduled for an outside court "there was nearly a riot". All of singles matches were in the stadium.

The final was closer than any of King's other matches, but her serve wa stoo much for Kerry, who almost capitalized on the strong wind that sprang up in the second set. Melville had leads of 4-3 and 5-4 but couldn't break.

The potted grass at Forest Hills is finally prompting open calls to move to a clay surface. Some are even advocating taking the Open from FH because th efacility is getting old and too cramped to handle the crowds.

King won a Pinto Station wagon, which was driven into the stadium during the trophy ceremony. After winning the 3 biigest slams one writer declared King "must certainly be included among the handful of tennis immortals." With the rule on non-white discarded BJ won with a "see-through" dress and bright blue sneakers. In her press conference afterwards King threatens a boycott of next year's open if the prize money isn't distributed more equally. She got $10,000 for her victroy compared to Ilie Nastase's $25,000.
There is something very seriously wrong with this draw. I found published reports from several newspapers on September 1, 1972, claiming that Nancy Richey Gunter beat Marilyn Aschner in the first round 6-0, 6-1. Jeanne Evert beat Raquel Giscafre in the first round, i.e., did not lose in that round. Margaret Court beat Pat Walkden Pretorius in the first round 6-0, 6-1, not Janice Metcalf. Etcetra.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 25th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #167
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open Singles results

Quote:
There is something very seriously wrong with this draw. I found published reports from several newspapers on September 1, 1972, claiming that Nancy Richey Gunter beat Marilyn Aschner in the first round 6-0, 6-1. Jeanne Evert beat Raquel Giscafre in the first round, i.e., did not lose in that round. Margaret Court beat Pat Walkden Pretorius in the first round 6-0, 6-1, not Janice Metcalf. Etcetra.
Sharp eye AR!

It is fixed. There was a "preliminary round" before the first round! Confusing to say the least. It certainly wasn't a qualifying round, as it included two seeds (Court and Gunter) and followed that quarter of the draw. There were actually 3 rounds of qualies-with one qualifier being Pam Austin Tracy's older sister.

Now it is complete thanks to you.

I added the Prelim Round (I notice there was a Prelim round in 1973 also) and put in a [Q] symbol for the six qualifiers. I also added a couple of first names "Tam" for O'Shaughnesy "Sue" for Vinton and corrected the spelling for Vicki Berner.

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 25th, 2010 at 04:04 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #168

Thanks, but unless several newspapers got it all wrong, Nancy Richey Gunter played Marilyn Aschner in the preliminary round, not Gail Sherriff Chanfreau (etc.).
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #169
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks, but unless several newspapers got it all wrong, Nancy Richey Gunter played Marilyn Aschner in the preliminary round, not Gail Sherriff Chanfreau (etc.).
Well, several newspapers could easily get it wrong if they all stem from one wire source (AP, for example) that made an error. The other thing is WT has Marilyn Aschner losing in the final round of qualifying to Penny Moore by the score of 5-7 6-2 6-1.

The flip side is we also know WT can easily make errors. Chanfreau did'nt play doubles or mixed, which throws suspicions on her entry, and of course lucky losers did exist-even in 1972.

Could Chanfreau have been slated to play Gunter and Marilyn substituted at the last minute?

I note both possibilities in the reconfigured draw but gave preference to Aschner.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #170

Re: 1966

Quote:
1st Round
Billie Jean King [2] d. Sue Behlmar 6-2 6-2
Billie Jean King was seeded [1].

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #171
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stewart
1st Round
Billie Jean King [2] d. Sue Behlmar 6-2 6-2

Billie Jean King was seeded [1].

Thanks AR-fixed
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #172

Do we know the seeds for 1926 and 1927 (aside from Helen Wills Moody being the top seeded domestic player in 1927)?

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM   #173
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Added in all (singles, doubles, and mixed) draws for 1963
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #174
country flag RSimcox

RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice RSimcox is just really nice
Re: 1943

Quote:
September 1 to 6.
----------------------------------
Semis
Osborne/Talbert [1] d Brough/Falkenburg [3] 6-1 6-2
Betz/Segura [2] d Cooke/Cooke [4] 4-6 7-5 6-0

Final
Margaret Osborne/Bill Talbert [1] d Pauline Betz/Pancho Seguara [2] 10-8 6-4
---------------------------------------------
According to the tennis hall of fame, Segura WON the mixed doubles in 1943 and 1947, yet both the years here at tennis forum say he lost. An error on someones part.
http://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-famers/pancho-segura

I was searching here because I was wonder if Pancho Segura was consindered a US player or an Ecuedorian player for purposes of international play. Alex Olmedo was always considered an American at the majors but I wasn't sure about Segura.
RSimcox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #175
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Re: US Open Results

Quote:
According to the tennis hall of fame, Segura WON the mixed doubles in 1943 and 1947, yet both the years here at tennis forum say he lost. An error on someones part.
http://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-famers/pancho-segura

I was searching here because I was wonder if Pancho Segura was consindered a US player or an Ecuedorian player for purposes of international play. Alex Olmedo was always considered an American at the majors but I wasn't sure about Segura.
Thanks for this RSimcox-I will double check this and repost shortly.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #176
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The Hall of Fame is incorrect in this instance. Pancho was only the RU in 1943 and 1947. I double checked this against American Lawn Tennis and Dunlop's Alamanac. I even triple checked-Bill Talbert's autobio records his wins with "Ozzie" and seals the deal.

Per Dunlop's, Segura obtained a US National ranking as early as 1942. He was ranked #4 in the US (1942) #3 for 1943,1944, and 1945-and #9 for 1946. His Us rank for 1946 kept off off Davis Cup even if he were eligible, and Ecuador didn't contest Davis Cup in 1946.

Dunlop's lists him as "Ecuador" at Wimbledon in 1946.

If you send me a PM I can search a database in a couple of days to check his citizenship.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #177
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Redid the 1892 draw which is now complete for singles, doubles, and mixed.
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #178
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Thanks to Hugues Daniel for catching an error!
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #179
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Edited in full results for the 1897 US Nationals. Still missing many names, but at least the draw is complete