When did you start watching Maria's matches? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: When?

From the beginning (-2004) 16 38.10%
Will she live up to the hype (2005) 10 23.81%
Seen Peakpova (2006-2008) 9 21.43%
How will she come back from injury? (2009-2010) 2 4.76%
Recently (2010-2012) 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 25th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #16
country flag cautiouslip

cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of cautiouslip has much to be proud of
Re: When did you start watching Maria's matches?

First time I saw Masha was in 05, I caught the end of her QF against Kuznetsova but I wasn't really a fan. From then on I would basically catch a few glimpses here and there at the aus open as this was the only time I watched tennis. I don't think there was a defining moment where I became a fan, but I gradually was closet stanning for her throughout the years as my family really hates her. I only started following tennis intensively this year but I'd say I've been a fan since 07.
cautiouslip is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #17
country flag Yksi

Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold Yksi is a splendid one to behold

Wimbledon 2004!
Yksi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #18
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

The 2008 Australian Open final. I rooted for Maria because she was hotter, but by the end of the match I was a fan. I loved her intensity and her strokes were beautiful. I started watching her week in, week out after Roland Garros that year. I caught up on most of her older matches while she was out from shoulder surgery.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #19
country flag istase2000

istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all istase2000 is a name known to all

AO2008
VS Henin
istase2000 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #20
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Was only a typical British tennis-fan-for-Wimbledon-fortnight-only when I was young, so '04 Wimbledon was the first time. Heard vaguely about how some hot 17-year-old who screams had made it through to the final, but naturally assumed the final was going to be just a coronation for Serena. Then on that Saturday, I remember my mum watching the final and getting very excited (my Serena hate is genetic it seems ), and so I came in and watched the 2nd set. Just remember being blown away by how ice-cool she was under pressure, and also her game was a little similar to Agassi's (or so it seemed to me as someone who only watched Wimbledon) who was the only player I stanned for at that time.

Then I would root for her the next couple of Wimbledon, and remember being more upset than I'd ever been about tennis at that stage when she lost to Mauresmo in the semis in '06. Then I remember seeing in the papers that she'd won the USO, and being more happy than it felt I should be for someone I only took a passing interest in once a year Then after Wimbledon in 2007 I became a HUGE fan of tennis and started watching everything religiously, of course including Maria's matches, and.....yeah, by '08, I'd already reached the skipping-classes level of devotion so that I could watch the legendary AO08 QF

Writing this post has made me realise: I've never actually witnessed her doing well at a US Open first-hand That had better be corrected this year.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #21
country flag heelsrule1988

heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all heelsrule1988 is a name known to all

Noticed her when she won Wimbledon and thought she was cute, but I didn't really start to hardcore get into her matches until 2007. Now, she's like one of my sports teams.
heelsrule1988 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #22
country flag Reptilia
`

Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute

I Remember she made the 6o'clock news here during the 2004 AO for "Looking like Kournikova and sounding like seles" that's when I first heard of her... Remember watching Wimbledon highlights that year but I never saw the final. AO 2005 was when I fell in love. I still remember the Kuznetsova and Serena matches vividly.
Reptilia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #23
country flag AniaSharapova

AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold

The first whole Maria's match I watched was this epic battle against Henin in Madrid 2007.
I became Maria's fan during AO 2008. I remember I had winter break in the same time and could watch whole tournament. I was following every single Maria's matches and fell in love with her.
AniaSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #24
Adal

Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute Adal has a reputation beyond repute

2005 Miami Final was the first match I've ever watched and started supporting her since then. Crazy to think I was only 12 back then
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #25
country flag Jamrock,20

Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light

I started to really pay attention to Maria when she played Ivanovic in the Australian Open final and from then I have really admired her and she is now my favourite tennis player and most likely always will be.I went to the Sony Ericsson Open twice and saw Maria practice and play some matches there. Believe me she is quite the specimen to see in reality. If you think she is beautiful on TV then seeing her in real life is so much more amazing. She is very regal and serious about her practice but she also has the ability to draw you in and it makes you wish time would just stand still. When I was at another practice court you just had to hear that trademark grunt and people started saying Sharapova was practicing near by (quite funny). At that point almost everyone would clear out to go and see her. I remember the first event I saw her practicing and she looked straight at me when signing autographs and all I saw were these amazing and expressive green eyes even from a few feet away. I finally got her autograph (twice this year) and it was so emotional for me that I cried right after. When you finally see her she is everything you imagined and so much more. She might not always put on a show or smile constantly just to please the crowd but she gives us what she can as an athlete and a human being. For that you can't help but to respect her at the very least. Maria really appreciates her fans and her true fans know how to respect her as well.

I hope to see her again someday and will always wish her the best
Jamrock,20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #26
country flag claypova
#sugarfamily

claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute claypova has a reputation beyond repute

vaguely remember that AO 05 match against Serena. Started watching/following her matches from 2006!

QUEEN OF CLAY
claypova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #27
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

I had some "break" (even big ones, sadly) but I remember her sf and f in Wimbledon 2004 as it was just yesterday
Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #28
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post

Writing this post has made me realise: I've never actually witnessed her doing well at a US Open first-hand That had better be corrected this year.
I realized it's the same for me ...
I knew she was playing the final in 2006 but I didn't watch any other matches, and I couldn't see the match because I was working and I had to sleep, so I planned to see the replay the day after, but I spoilered the result opening my pc when coming back from work. So I was happy and that was it, didn't want to see the final knowing the result.
Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #29
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

I became a fan at Charleston 2003. At that time my fave was Mary Pierce. She was struggling with a lot of injuries and looked like retirement was close. I was looking for a player to replace her when she retired. I saw a pick of Maria in the Charleston photo gallery and though she fits my quoto....tall, blonde, pretty. I did some research and thought I'm going to see where this girl goes. I followed her pretty closely after that. I became a dedicated fan and new she was the one after her first round match at Wimbledon. It was the first time I saw her play and I just loved her game. I was hooked.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 10:34 PM   #30
country flag Eigenvalue

Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue Eigenvalue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergo View Post
When?
When I found the "mute" button on the remote...
Eigenvalue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote