Articles and Interviews - Page 165 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2461
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles and Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I think I just haven't adjusted yet, she used to be really private about her life off court and I liked that much, much better. It's just the contrast in the past 12 months that I don't get.

The whole campaign is absolutely horrible too. Apart from choosing despicable "celebrities" like Donald Trump, most of what they say in those promo videos makes zero sense.
Yah, it kind of baffles me why Caro came to really like a celebrity lifestyle.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 21st, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2462
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTennis View Post
WTA hires celebrity ambassadors to promote women's tennis
http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/N...womens-tennis/

OMG
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2463
country flag manixdk

manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of

Relax, fellow Caro fans. Take deep breaths. It's only tennis. Give her time. Being more aggressive isn't in her backbone yet, she still has to think about it.

Transcription of an interview from the Sky Tennis Podcast with Thomas J done just after the Olympics:

Did you share your Olympic experiences with Caroline?

-We actually didn't talk about my winning a Silver Medal in Beijing ... we were just trying to work on her stroke, her tennis, her movement, you know the whole game.

You called her victory against Daniela Hantuchova the best match you'd seen in a long time. What parts of her game are you seeing progress in?

-We've been working a lot on her offensive game, to try and take initiative in the rallies.I think that Caroline is probably one of the best movers on the court, but in the past she's been struggling with being aggressive and staying aggressive. I think the match against Hantuchova was by far the best match I've seen since we started to work together. We've been working on her serve as well. She's definitely on the right track.

There's a bit more sting in her serve. Even against Serena that was noticeable. You've made quite radical alterations to that haven't you?

-Yeah, we've been trying to work on her positioning when she's serving. All her weight moves forward on her serve instead of to the side. That's been the key on all her shots, try to stay aggressive and not worry about your opponents next shot.

And against Serena she couldn't really get close to it, only winning three games. Is there anything she could have done in retrospect to give herself more of a chance?

-I think against Serena it was too tough for Caroline. She was a bit unlucky in the beginning, but the score 6-0, 6-3 is a bit unfair, in my eyes it should have been 2 & 3 or 3 & 3. But it doesn't matter, it's a loss. But if Caroline is to beat Serena she probably needs a couple of tournaments the weeks before where she's played well so she's quite confident in her game.

Has it been a bit of a tough task for you Thomas to manage the mental side of her game as well, given that she's so used to being right at the very top. Now she's finding it a bit tougher. Is the mental side something you have to work on as well.

-Yeah, but I think it's a little bit like I said, you have to believe in you shots. But I think it feels like we're on the right track, it's just that Caroline needs to win a couple of more matches, then I think she might be ready to compete with the big ones.

Well, I'm glad to see your optimstic, because we all want to see Caroline Wozniacki at her very best. I'm curious Thomas to find out how it works out between you her and Piotr as well, her father. If you, say, think she shoud hit her forehand in one way and Piotr thinks it should be hit in a different way, wh has the final say in how she ends up hitting that shot.

-I think we have a good conversation between each other. Piotr listens a lot to what I say about the shots and technique, and how she should try and work, but even though Piotr has never ever played tennis before, he knows Caroline really well, and he knows what her strengths and weaknesses are, and we talk to each other about trying to find a solution to her whole game.

So it's a very diplomatic affair?

-Yeah, no no no, I know he's quite tough but I think that's also the reason she has been number one.

It must be difficult for her as well, Thomas, having a relationship with such a high profile figure as Rory McIlroy. How has she coped with the relentless focus on them.

-Everywhere they go there's a lot of attention on them from the media, from the people as well. But I think they cope with it really well. I mean, they're used to it. It's not easy having a relationship when one is playing a lot of golf and the other is playing a lot of tennis. They don't have that many opportunities to see each other. But I think it's nice. Rory is a great guy, I mean she cannot find a better boyfriend than that, so I think everything is working fine.

Lovely. So as far as you're concerned you don't see it having any impact negatively on her tennis?

-No no no, defintely not.

So is the plan for you to stay with Caroline until the end of the US Open, is that still the case?

-We'll see, I mean, Caroline is the boss. She's the one that decides. I've known Caroline since she was probably 15 years old, we've actually only been working for three tournaments, we've been practicing a lot back home, so it's up to her. I mean if she feels like I can contribute to her tennis, and make her a better player, I'm more than happy to continue to work with her. But it's her choice.

I just want to ask you Thomas, with Caroline, at the end of her career, what do you realstically hope that she will have achieved?

- I really hope that she can win a slam in the next couple of years. As I said, with the movement that she has on the court, I think that if she just believes a little more in her shots, and tries to be more aggressive, and we try to continue to work on her serve, I definitely sure that she is a contender in a slam in the next couple of years.

So you'd be happy with just the one?

- I would prefer more! But let's start with one.
manixdk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2464
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manixdk View Post
Relax, fellow Caro fans. Take deep breaths. It's only tennis. Give her time. Being more aggressive isn't in her backbone yet, she still has to think about it.
Maybe if you would post more often things would look a bit "saner" around here. I'm not being snarky when I say that, you really seem to know your stuff and do a lot of research, we need more posters who know what they are talking about to balance out the crazy people (like me).

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 09:05 PM   #2465
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised TJ sounds positive. He wants to be her coach.
Lets see what happens.
She was holding 9 titles last summer. This is the last of them.
Has that ever happened before, for a healthy player to hold 9 and defend none?
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM   #2466
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I'm not surprised TJ sounds positive. He wants to be her coach.
Lets see what happens.
She was holding 9 titles last summer. This is the last of them.
Has that ever happened before, for a healthy player to hold 9 and defend none?
I have no idea but I strongly suspect that the answer to your question is "no."

To be fair she still has one last title to try to defend.

Old Aug 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2467
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it was more like from Montreal 2010-NH 2011 (53 weeks) she won 10 titles, and since NH 2011 (51 weeks and counting), won none.

But I think its good to have 1 coach with 1 plan.
And stick with it.
Its still early in the game, if she can turn it around
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:55 AM   #2468
country flag manixdk

manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of manixdk has much to be proud of

The things she's adding to her game, she still has to think about. When she starts doing them instinctively, we'll see the progress. It takes a lot of time. It seems her fans are a hell of a lot more worried than she is. But she's the one who has money on the line, not us.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2469
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
The things she's adding to her game, she still has to think about. When she starts doing them instinctively, we'll see the progress. It takes a lot of time. It seems her fans are a hell of a lot more worried than she is. But she's the one who has money on the line, not us.
She completely spoiled us with the run she had from mid 2010 to mid 2011. Other than the slams she was either winning titles or making finals nearly every week. Now it looks like she may go a year without winning any titles. That's a very dramatic dropoff.

I think the thing that really puzzles most of us is that it is very difficult to fathom the reason for the drop in the level of her play. She has had some minor injuries but not anything major, more like the typical small injuries that nearly every player deals with in the course of the year. It seems like she just started losing a lot more matches than she used to.

Regarding the worry from her fans, well, that's natural, isn't it? We are completely powerless, all we can do is watch and see what happens. Caroline is the one that can improve and do the things that she needs to do to become a better player. She has all of the power, we are just helpless spectators.

Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:16 AM   #2470
country flag manixdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
She completely spoiled us with the run she had from mid 2010 to mid 2011. Other than the slams she was either winning titles or making finals nearly every week. Now it looks like she may go a year without winning any titles. That's a very dramatic dropoff.
The drop in her level of play has much to do with the rise in the level of other players. And other players began to suss out her patterns. Now she has to raise the ante. There are many encouraging signs: a vastly improved serve, where she now is winning more easy points, and where she's following aggressively up on it. She's going to the net much better now. She's getting much better at doing it at the right time. She occasionally trusts her forehand, makes the right grip change and hits off her front foot. But it's still not instinctive, and if she's just a bit rushed, she reverts to her old style and hits loopers. That's what happened against Pavs.

She still doesn't see her openings often enough. She'll always be a counterpuncher, but she has yet to learn how to be an aggressive one, jumping at the first opportunity to pressurize her opponent.

She's getting there, though, and, like I said, practice and matches.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:29 AM   #2471
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Under wear ...

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_s...cle1811769.ece

A couple of nice photos, but most will probably have seen them.

When the photos were leaked, inside first 24 hours, there was 100 million views on yahoo.com (red. : No idea what that explicitly means. Article doesn't say).

Anyhoo, JBS (the manufacture) is rather chuffed with the free publicity.

Caroline should be chuffed too. She's paid a base amount + 10-15% royalties ... Fok, if that line sells well that'll be an obscene amount of money for her. Maybe she did always want to be an under wear manufacture

(in secret - as JBS apparently had to spend 2 years wooing her before she agreed).

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:57 AM   #2472
country flag Jimmie48
In The Lap Of The Gods

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

100 million views in 24h? That sounds majorly exaggerated. Maybe the story was on the Yahoo frontpage for a while and they count every page view of Yahoo that day.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2473
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well,with the sum she makes from endorsements alone I don't think anyone would be that worried. She could retire tomorrow and still lead a very charmed life afterwards.
I think that she is trying to improve and turn around the negative trends in her performance. It's surprising though,that someone that used to be so consistent has got so beatable.
But she has to deal with it somehow and find a way to start winning again.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 09:30 AM   #2474
country flag Jimmie48
In The Lap Of The Gods

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anybody worries about her financial well-being. She has already earned much more than she could ever spent, her bank account shouldn't be nearly as much of a priority than improving her results again.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 11:18 AM   #2475
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
I don't think anybody worries about her financial well-being. She has already earned much more than she could ever spent, her bank account shouldn't be nearly as much of a priority than improving her results again.
And her bank account depends on her results anyway. Not that she needs the money, but if the're willing to give it to her, why not? True, she's very marketable and therefore the're willing to give her some slack, but if her results continue to disappoint those endorsement deals will at some point stop happening. But leaving aside the financial rewards, which though they are understandably too tempting to ignore, they should nevertheless be only of secondary importance to her now. I'm sure Caroline also has some pride as a sports woman which should be enough to get the best out of herself. Roger Federer, Maria Sharapova, Lionel Messi, Floyd Mayweather, etc make even more money than she does, but they nevertheless are as hungry as ever to achieve even more in the sport of their choice.

Thank you LI NA
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote