Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 234 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #3496
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFox View Post
I don't read press conferences by any of the players because of the stupid questions they get asked so I get no benefit from the pressers. why more players don't sideeye more of those questions is beyond me.

And really talking can only do so much anyway. It's not like baring her soul will make her play better.
That's very true. They do often get asked stupid questions* but sometimes they are asked good questions. Who knows, maybe the right question will catch her at the right time and she might open up?

* here is a great example. From last year in Cincinnati:

Quote:
Q. It was a pretty clean match. Not a lot of unforced errors.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Did you check the statistics? I think I made maybe 37; normally I'm 7, 8 a match.

Q. Is that a big difference?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, obviously if you make a lot of the unforced errors and you don't make a lot winners, it's difficult to win -
especially when she takes her chances.
First the questioner says it was a "clean match" when Caroline had a ton of errors then she is asked if that is a big difference. Sometimes I wonder if these people have the slightest clue about the sport they are supposed to be covering. With the right questions I think press conferences can be quite informative and entertaining. Sadly we rarely hear the right questions asked of the players.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3497
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is a bit silly to call this "a new low." Look at what she did last year in Toronto/Cincinnati, this year is an improvement over that. This was a bad loss to be sure but let us see how she responds to it. Barring some phenomenal play/results she is going to miss the YEC, we should all probably expect that, but there are still enough big events and points up for grabs that she can somewhat salvage her year and finish strong.

There was a fair bit of optimism after the Olympics and with how she did in Montreal, does this one loss really negate the other positives we have recently seen from her?

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3498
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future

I would love for her too make the YEC if Possible, but if it aint I would hope she get a chance too play WTA Tournament of Champions
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3499
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post

There was a fair bit of optimism after the Olympics and with how she did in Montreal, does this one loss really negate the other positives we have recently seen from her?
It's not about losing, it's about how. Last year these losses came after a long streak & summer break...and there was still fight in her. Remember the USO match against Kuznetsova? Can you see current Caro pull something off like that? Her on-court attitude has gone way downhill in the last six months...

She had a weak draw in Montreal and did do the absolute minimum, losing to the first in-form player.

My Tennis Photography - Flickr
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3500
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFox View Post
I don't read press conferences by any of the players because of the stupid questions they get asked so I get no benefit from the pressers. why more players don't sideeye more of those questions is beyond me.

And really talking can only do so much anyway. It's not like baring her soul will make her play better.
Agree, but maybe there is a nuance to the standard 'everything is fine'.

" You know. I am not really playing to the standard, I am hoping to and it is something I am working on with my team. "

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3501
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
I think it is a bit silly to call this "a new low."
Agreed,except 'silly' would be generous: F--king retarded would be more accurate.It's been clear the last several weeks that Nastya has turned around her results and lifted her level since her slump at the start of the year.We can't ever be happy when Caroline loses to a player she has dominated,but this was obviously a talented opponent and Caroline was neither blown out of the water nor did she mail in the match

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Shouldn't self-professed devil worshippers be forced to work every day during Holy Week?
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3502
country flag Blu€

Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute Blu€ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I would love for her too make the YEC if Possible, but if it aint I would hope she get a chance too play WTA Tournament of Champions
No thank you! That tournament is a joke, half of the entries are WC. She has nothing to win there. She's better off training at home.

···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···
Blu€ is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #3503
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Agreed,except 'silly' would be generous: F--king retarded would be more accurate.It's been clear the last several weeks that Nastya has turned around her results and lifted her level since her slump at the start of the year.We can't ever be happy when Caroline loses to a player she has dominated,but this was obviously a talented opponent and Caroline was neither blown out of the water nor did she mail in the match
Pavlyuchenkova lost easily to #83 Johansson in Bastad, struggled to beat/had tough matches against a few players outside the top 50 before losing easily to Rybarikova (she was #102 going into that tournament but was in the 50-70 ranking range before injuries, and lost easily to #39 Lepchenko in Montreal.

Maybe it's me but those results don't say good form let alone great form.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3504
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
No thank you! That tournament is a joke, half of the entries are WC. She has nothing to win there. She's better off training at home.
I think it would be better than following Rory around a golf course or playing an exhibition for that matter.
Protoss is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3505
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
Agree, but maybe there is a nuance to the standard 'everything is fine'.

" You know. I am not really playing to the standard, I am hoping to and it is something I am working on with my team. "
Yeah,and this is where common sense kicks in;if a player loses to Niculescu,6-1 6-1(or has any embarrassing loss that's somewhat less extreme),THEN we can insist on a lot more candor.However,I've seen plenty of cases where even legends gave TOTAL b.s. answers and it didn't seem to affect their destiny too much.Case in point,after her 3rd straight Slam loss to Henin in 2007,Serena angrily exclaimed that Justine won on 'lucky shots'.Telling a lie with an empirical statement--e.g.,pretending to be injured when you're not--is one thing,but being less than 100% revealing is VERY normal for pro athletes and doesn't reflect too poorly on Caroline's character,IMO

Btw,confirmed what you said earlier,but even the dictionary explained that most people identify it as being within the same clause even though that wasn't the original meaning

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Shouldn't self-professed devil worshippers be forced to work every day during Holy Week?
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3506
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Pavlyuchenkova lost easily to #83 Johansson in Bastad, struggled to beat/had tough matches against a few players outside the top 50 before losing easily to Rybarikova (she was #102 going into that tournament but was in the 50-70 ranking range before injuries, and lost easily to #39 Lepchenko in Montreal.

Maybe it's me but those results don't say good form let alone great form.
Protoss,please pull your head out of your ass and compare the stats as you do best.Look at Nastya's W/L at the start of the year compared to the last couple months.Even some commentators are saying that she is regaining her form;are we all conspiring together in a lie?

I never said that she had GREAT or AWESOME or SUPER form---only that she'd been improving and was a talented gal.If you're gonna sit there and debate that Nastya is a decent player,well,I'm not gonna waste my breath

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3507
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not embarrass ourselves by trying to talk up every opponent she loses to. Pav never won against her on the pro level, she didn't even win a set.

Both players are slumping so I say the playing field is leveled...and still she manages to beat Caro in straights. She may be talented but most of the girls in the Top 100 are, the problem is that Caro seems to be a player where more and more girls are managing to keep their talent together for a full match to beat her.

This is another problem. During her great run, intimidation was one of her main weapons. Her opponents knew that even if it goes to three sets Caro will somehow grind it out, that was demoralizing. Today's Caro dosen't intimidate anyone anymore, quite the opposite, pretty much every player now believes in her chance to beat her.

My Tennis Photography - Flickr
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #3508
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
Why not ATM, I wouldn't get mad if she play it, she could play it too get more matches under her belts and some wins too gain confidence which she need so badly atm
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3509
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

This isnt a new low. Its another Premier 5 where Caro lost early to a noncontender.
Just throw it up on the pile with the rest of the bad Premier 5's.
This is closer to Caro's norm than a new low.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #3510
country flag bruce goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Let's not embarrass ourselves by trying to talk up every opponent she loses to. Pav never won against her on the pro level, she didn't even win a set.

Both players are slumping so I say the playing field is leveled...and still she manages to beat Caro in straights. She may be talented but most of the girls in the Top 100 are, the problem is that Caro seems to be a player where more and more girls are managing to keep their talent together for a full match to beat her.

This is another problem. During her great run, intimidation was one of her main weapons. Her opponents knew that even if it goes to three sets Caro will somehow grind it out, that was demoralizing. Today's Caro dosen't intimidate anyone anymore, quite the opposite, pretty much every player now believes in her chance to beat her.
Well,you're right that it's a form of denial IF you pretend that every loss was acceptable and exaggerate the skill of the opponent....but I'm not saying that it was an acceptable loss.If I felt THAT way,then I'd have little hope for Caro's future;I was only saying that it wasn't a DISGRACEFUL loss.Even an in-form Caro likely would've lost to a talented,young Nastya at some point.

You're correct,though,when you say that the intimidation factor is gone...for NOW...but that doesn't mean that she can't earn it back with her future on-court performances.This assumes--as I do--that Caro is a woman of good character who is capable of fighting her way back and finding that balance of finesse and aggression.Though I'm not accusing YOU,I suspect there are folks here who have a much lower opinion of Caro's personal character and qualities

Closed Thread