Rule Changes - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #76
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rule Changes

I'm also wondering about the effect the change will have on the recruiting process; say, if it will be televised from the Final 4, that means TOP 4 schools will get all the attention..thus, elite players will be all the more concentrated on those top schools(Bar the pro prospects, maybe, they might just turn pro)..?
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
Nil admirari (never enthuse over things).
- Horace, Epistles
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #77
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

from the facebook group page
*OFFICIAL* Against the changes to NCAA tennis
------------

Roland Thornqvist
Changing the format is one thing. Let's make sure we don't change the sport! Tennis IS the third set...
42 minutes ago near Gainesville, FL

Coach Augustus also joined the group.
"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #78
country flag paul_masterton

paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute

USTA formally oppose the changes and will make making submissions to that effect apparently.

Good news
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #79
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_masterton View Post
USTA formally oppose the changes and will make making submissions to that effect apparently.

Good news
ITA is in bed with USTA. I don't really understand the exact relationship between the ITA and the NCAA.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #80
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
ITA is in bed with USTA. I don't really understand the exact relationship between the ITA and the NCAA.
This is a power and money grab by the NCAA away from the ITA. But if it loses money, then the loses will fall on the ITA.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #81
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Victory!

Well, sorta: http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.co.u...e-removes.html

The very cynical might suggest that the NCAA used the age old strategy of asking for something utterly outrageous and then compromising on what they really wanted. (I'm not being serious here.)
Embittered is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #82
country flag 3gtennis

3gtennis is an unknown quantity at this point

How is the 500 rule going to affect some highly ranked teams that play very tough schedules?
3gtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #83
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Well there aren't going to be any highly ranked teams that have to worry about it but there are always a couple of good bubble teams (usually from a tough conference like the SEC or ACC) with losing records that get in because the quality of their wins is so high. Arkansas and LSU got in last year with losing records.

I don't really see the point to the rule. I believe LSU was the last team in last year as an at-large and they had a losing record. On the one hand, we're going to go with this ITA formula that says that they are better than South Florida (the first team out) but then someone is going to step in and say that because LSU played a tougher schedule that they can't go to the dance?

South Florida is a bad example because they actually played a challenging schedule, but some team from a clown conference that goes 25-2 against nobody is going to end up getting in over an SEC or ACC team that goes 12-13 with 12 wins against ranked teams.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #84
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

The rule change was to fit tennis I to an easy television time box but the us open is reminding me that tennis can succeed even with the unpredictably long matches from 3 out of 5 sets.

The match in before Mallory Burdette had a 11 am start time. Its in the 5 the set, had a small rain delay, and at nearly 6 pm new York time its longer the is allowed for 6 singles and 3 doubles matches. And the us open brings in money.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Aug 27th, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: sorry for typos written on phone.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #85
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

So I see lots of billboards on Pac 12 network tv by CBS right now. Maybe the attempt had to do with it?

Anyway, dunno why NCAA bothered, since Team semi and final WILL fit the 3 hr slot anyway.

They really should've studied the Stanford lineup this season

Well, I guess Men could be different
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #86
country flag 2nd_serve

Also seeing heavy promotion of the PAC 12 network.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #87
country flag 2nd_serve

Maybe the rule was in anticipation if teams went to playing frequent doubleheaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
Well there aren't going to be any highly ranked teams that have to worry about it but there are always a couple of good bubble teams (usually from a tough conference like the SEC or ACC) with losing records that get in because the quality of their wins is so high. Arkansas and LSU got in last year with losing records.

I don't really see the point to the rule. I believe LSU was the last team in last year as an at-large and they had a losing record. On the one hand, we're going to go with this ITA formula that says that they are better than South Florida (the first team out) but then someone is going to step in and say that because LSU played a tougher schedule that they can't go to the dance?

South Florida is a bad example because they actually played a challenging schedule, but some team from a clown conference that goes 25-2 against nobody is going to end up getting in over an SEC or ACC team that goes 12-13 with 12 wins against ranked teams.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 06:19 PM   #88
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

coach Diaz of UGA men suggests eliminating individual NCAA;

link

Manuel Diaz, head coach, Georgia Men

Personally, I think that the main issue here is the length of the NCAA Championship and the student-athlete welfare.

I would suggest that by doing away with the NCAA Singles and Doubles (Individual) portion of the tournament, we would solve these issues. I believe the great majority of coaches don't want that event after the team event. The ITA already holds an individual National Fall tournament (the All-American) and also a National Indoor Championship. The Fall should be the individual portion of our season and the Spring should just be the team portion of the season. Right now the individual event is always anticlimactic to the team tournament. Some players are exhausted because they were in the team portion of the tournament while others just practiced. Yes, they will be more rested if the team event begins with the Final Four, but this would come at great cost to the many student-athletes that lose the greatest experience of the year. We need them to experience that event so they can grow.

If the coaches wanted to add a Spring Individual Championship later they could do that through the ITA or the NCAA.
- Woodrow Wilson
- Horace, Epistles

Last edited by fantic : Aug 31st, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #89
country flag spartyfan

spartyfan has disabled reputation

Self serving coach from a regular host of the Finals. Hundreds of male and female players have gone to the the finals in singles and doubles that are not part of the elite 8-20 programs in the US. Their programs will never make it.

Some of these people should be made to work at a non Stanford, USC, UCLA, Duke, Georgia, Florida, UNC for a few years and maybe his/her elitist attitude would change to understand that the sport is more than just a few programs.

Just a horrible idea. Thousands of athletes have advanced to the singles and doubles while a very very very very small number of schools have made the 16.

My school will never make the Final 16 but we could advance a top player or pair. That would be great for the kids, the program and our supporters.
spartyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote