Foot faults in league matches - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #1
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future
Foot faults in league matches

I played a league match today and my opponent blatantly foot faulted on every serve. I don't mean the foot just touching the line, I mean one foot fully inside the baseline before the toss. I didn't say anything because it just seemed petty to call a foot fault (just ask Serena ). But actually it did piss me off. Does anyone actually bother with calling foot faults outside the pros?

It's later than you think...
Siderophyre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foot faults in league matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
I played a league match today and my opponent blatantly foot faulted on every serve. I don't mean the foot just touching the line, I mean one foot fully inside the baseline before the toss. I didn't say anything because it just seemed petty to call a foot fault (just ask Serena ). But actually it did piss me off. Does anyone actually bother with calling foot faults outside the pros?
I haven't done it yet, but that's only because I haven't encountered anyone who was that bad. If I ever do, I will warn him per USTA rules, and if he continues to do it, I'll start calling it on him.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3
country flag oliverbecken

oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute oliverbecken has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
In the irish open tournaments I saw lots of people doing BIG foot faults and anyone says nothing. Too polite maybe?

MARIAJO/VENUS\CLIJSTERS/SCHIAVONE\WOZNIACKI/BARTOLI\CARLA
oliverbecken is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
I haven't done it yet, but that's only because I haven't encountered anyone who was that bad. If I ever do, I will warn him per USTA rules, and if he continues to do it, I'll start calling it on him.
To elaborate slightly, if there is an official available and you believe your opponent is foot-faulting, go get the official.

If no official is available, Darrin is right. You are supposed to warn your opponent that you believe he/she is footfaulting and give them a general idea of what they are doing (politely, something like "It looks to me like your foot is inside the line when you toss" or "I think you're taking a step" etc.)

If the person continues to footfault, you are allowed to call it.

However...

you may also want to doublecheck with the league director (or tournament referee or an official). In lower level leagues and tournaments, they'll sometimes go easy on footfaults just so players can play the game. In some adult beginner and young juniors events, you could call footfaults on almost every serve, but what would be the point?

Doesn't sound like this applies in your case, but I thought I'd give the long answer in case somebody else checks this thread (and this is all per USTA--rules may vary slightly in other parts of the world).
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote