Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 153 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #2281
country flag grafan92

grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold grafan92 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2012...World+Sport%29
grafan92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2282
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

I find the CNNSI headline now very annoying. "Golden Slam", it says. Excuse me, it isn't. It's a career Golden Slam but the way they say, it's almost like Serena replicated Steffi's unparalleled achievement. Ah well. I guess the Olympics tends to make people a bit more emotional and excited but winning the Gold medal a decade after you won at least one of each of the four slams doesn't come close to winning everything in the same year.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #2283
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
I find the CNNSI headline now very annoying. "Golden Slam", it says. Excuse me, it isn't. It's a career Golden Slam but the way they say, it's almost like Serena replicated Steffi's unparalleled achievement. Ah well. I guess the Olympics tends to make people a bit more emotional and excited but winning the Gold medal a decade after you won at least one of each of the four slams doesn't come close to winning everything in the same year.
Can't agree more !
Everywhere or on twitter were there are several pros, journalists, and experts, you read "Golden Slam", not only about Serena, Sharapova (before the match) too, and Roger (if he does it tomorrow).
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2284
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

I think when Andre Agassi won his career Golden Slam, people then at least called it a career Golden Slam (noting the word 'career'). Now the word career is being omitted.

I just read now: "It's the Serena slam! Williams matches Graf with career golden slam after blitzing Sharapova" I can't believe the two are being put on the same level for extremely different achievements. One sentence in the article indicated that Steffi won all five (4 majors + olympic Gold) in the same year, but it was almost mentioned in passing like it wasn't such a huge achievement. I should just stop reading these articles.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2285
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Steffi won the five most prestigious titles in a span of 9 months! Serena took over five years. Huge accomplishment by Serena, but lets not call it a golden slam. Its a career golden slam, which is a huge accomplishment, but still far less impressive than what Steffi did.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2286
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of how after the Seoul Olympics, Steffi was the defending champion of the four majors, Olympics, YEC and Key Biscayne.. the 7 biggest events on the tennis calender!
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #2287
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Just read 2 new articles in which you can read about "Golden Slam", absolutely no mention of doing it in one year or a career...and from 2 tennis specialized media...
I don't even mention the GM here or people bringing the doubles into conversation, while one player stopped playing doubles very early and the other one plays it at every GS...
(% stats are the only reliable stats to me.=
Whatever.

Last edited by djul14 : Aug 4th, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2288
country flag XTN

At least CNN SI tennis changed the headline to "The Gold Standard". Maybe some people pointed it to them and they made the correction. Regardless, at least that's one less article proclaiming Serena's success as a Golden Slam.

LOL I know this sounds so fanatical for me to be upset by this but I am just not pleased at the inaccuracy of these exaggerations.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2289
country flag djul14

It's not about being fanatical, just about being correct.
They are journalists, people read them (some (a lot) probably don't know about older achievements), in some article it's written She (and Nadal too back in 2010) joined Steffi by doing the same thing, same Golden Slam...yeah the same in 9months or 90years so the same achievement.
Why in the world tarnishing what a real golden slam and even grand slam (earlier this year with Djokovic if he had won the FO they all called this a Grand Slam) are ?
I just don't get WHY ?
And it's not over (if Roger does it too lol)
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #2290
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Have to remember SI is an American magazine and most of the journalists don't even bother doing their homework. Surprised that many of the journalists didn't know Steffi's 87-89 statistics till recently, even the ones who claimed to admire her. So not a surprise for that heading. At least they bothered to change after feedback which they seldom did in the past.

Steffi is at Olympics, participated with Gonzalez in a QA session, here is her take on the Men's final:
http://sport.uk.msn.com/video-clips/?VideoID=2i22l7po#
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2291
country flag djul14

No no, it's not only SI, American, I ve read French, Swiss, Belgian press it's the same, and it was absolutely the same with Djoko and Nadal when they had the opportunity to win all 4 slams in a row...in 2 years.

Wait, I didn't even try to read German press, if even them call it a Golden Slam and compare the achievement with Steffi's one, I stop reading 4ever

Edit : the world is safe , none of them (newspapers) is comparing it to what Steffi did in 88.
They speak about Career Golden Slam, the only one who write Golden Slam put it between quotation marks and then precises she achieved it during a career not in one year (they all precise it actually)

Last edited by djul14 : Aug 5th, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2292
country flag XTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Steffi is at Olympics, participated with Gonzalez in a QA session, here is her take on the Men's final:
http://sport.uk.msn.com/video-clips/?VideoID=2i22l7po#
Nice to hear Steffi's positive comments about Andy Murray. I'm really hoping Andy can win; I think it sucks for him that he just had to peak at the same time that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are at their legendary best and I truly feel he is the best player to (so far) not have won a Grand Slam title. He's 2 sets to love up now and I'm hoping he can close it out. (Sorry, off-topic I know...)
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2293
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all

Posted this a long time ago elsewhere, but here goes again:

Exhausted at the Goal of an Unbelievable Run
Steffi Graf wins gold and wishes for only one more thing: Quiet at last
Süddeutsche Zeitung
3 October 1988
By Ludger Schulze

Steffi Graf was asked what she would perhaps want if she had one free wish in her eventfully boring life now that even the very last athletic dream of the young tennis player is fulfilled. "I would wish to already be at home. So I'm counting the days, I'm counting the hours until I can leave here," said the Olympic champion very softly, but yet loud enough to allow the scream of a tormented soul to be audible. And that it was, not some mere set phrase.

This requires no psychology to establish. Steffi Graf is finished, inwardly empty, almost dead looking. After her 6-3, 6-3 victory in the final against the Argentine Gabriela Sabatini she presented a sad, almost pitiful look. That certainly isn't one's idea of a delightedly beaming winner, quite the contrary. At the obligatory press conference, she was nervous, concentrated with difficulty, constantly ran her hands through her hair, fidgeted at her face with her fingers. "I came here very, very tired, quite definitely not in the best shape," she said. And when she arrived at the Seoul airport, she got caught in a tumultuous swirl of journalists, Steffi here, Steffi there, Steffi, Steffi, Steffi.

She can't take a step anymore without being watched, everyone wants something from her. The blonde superstar gave away control and self-determination over her life, she is - by all the success - under the rule of other people. She looks right through her interviewers, as though her eyes were fixed on some alluring point far in the distance. Steffi Graf is barely aware anymore. Also like filtered through a wall of bodyguards, who protect her from annoyances of every kind, the existence of Steffi Graf takes place under a microscope. Even her sex life (whether existing or not) is put out on the public market. And even if she could withdraw to the isolation of the Galapagos Islands, presumably the birds would want to have autographs.

The inhuman pressure, which weighs heavily on her, leads her to react like a string puppet, almost like in a trance. Presumably, there is only one place in the world at the moment where she is wide-awake, full of imagination and zest for life: the tennis court. Sabatini, her opponent, the only one who already defeated Steffi Graf this year (and that just twice), didn't have the hint of a chance. Just in the first three or four games, the 19-year-old from Brühl rushed the Argentine from corner to corner, up to the net and back to the baseline. "She was dead in the first 20 minutes," said Ion Tiriac, the manager of Boris Becker, afterwards, "but that was already five minutes longer than I expected!" Only, he could not understand that the dark-haired South American with the mighty shoulders had learned nothing from the previous 13 losses (in 15 encounters). But that is so easily said, against this forehand, this mobility, there seems to be no answer. Steffi Graf is a perfect athlete.

In the estimation of the German national coach Klaus Hofsäss, Sabatini played her best game in this eternal duel, "but after 35 minutes, she was out of gas." From time to time, she shook her head in despair, the sympathies of the spectators belonged to the loser. "But I certainly can't suffer with her," said Steffi Graf, who immediately succeeded Helen Wills (USA). That woman was the last gold medal winner in tennis in 1924.

At 5-3 in the second set, she was quite sure, said Graf, of almost reaching the goal of an unbelievable long distance race: After winning the Australian, French, English, and United States championships, she now pulled off the Super Grand Slam, so to say, at Seoul. "Not very many after me will succeed in doing that," she commented. Despite all her emotional exhaustion, the young lady from Brühl could still yet feel joy about this great achievement. She had "goose-flesh" down her back during the national anthem - presumably just like all the others who are permitted to stand at the highest step on the pedestal.

Undoubtedly, the Olympic experience was not the biggest thing for Steffi Graf, "that was Wimbledon, I also played my best tennis there." Apart from maybe the semifinals in Seoul against Zina Garrison (USA), who had to put up with athletic humiliation for 45 minutes before the 2-6, 0-6 match was finally settled. "Now I have achieved everything," groaned Steffi Graf, and it certainly didn't sound as though she was happy about it. What still remains? "I still want to improve my game," she set as a goal.

It would be nice to wish that the friendly, kind Steffi Graf gets her life back in her own hands again. Other superstars like Michael Jackson or Madonna know how difficult that is, probably even impossible. Possibly, it will already help the young girl to also play a little less tennis, to have more quiet. However, on the 4th and 6th of October, she competes again already in two so-called exhibitions against Sabatini. "It's all the same to me whether I get money or not. To an athlete, the victory is much more important." In every respect, the two exhibitions against her Olympic final opponent are highly lucrative, highly superfluous. And dangerous. Because there is an IOC rule which states that all commercial contracts in the timespan of one week before to one week after the Games have to cease. Of course, in these days, an Olympic competitor is also not allowed to play in a professional event. In the opposite case, disqualification is threatened. And Steffi Graf really will not have taken everything upon herself.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2294
country flag djul14

He did it ! So happy for him. No slam, but a gold at home, who needs slams ? lol
Classy Roger during the medals ceremony kissing his silver medal while he should feel so sad.
And this exhausted and devastated Del Potro who still managed to win bronze, after the epic match from yesterday.
Mens Tennis is really worth following it. LOVE it.

Mr Anthropic, Where did you get this article ??? Don't you have to pay for SZ archiv ? Whatever HUGE thank you.

Dind't know Steffi was at the Olympics, great surprise
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2295
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote