Maria's best match on grass - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria's best match on grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
The 04 semi. She was scary good the second half of the match. The 04 QF against Sugiyama also deserves a mention.
Agree and the last set lasted 10 minutes or sth, it was scary good.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #17
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Why is no-one mentioning her loss to GOAT Jamea Jackson in Birmingham in 2006?

dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #18
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
nice points...so what do you think about her overall level of play in the final last year?

i was rewatching her final against kvitova two days ago...she didn't play as bad as people made it out to be, bar the serving and ugly double faults, of course...kvitova was in the zone that day and her classic lefty serve out wide and the inside out forehands saved her ass...i was just thinking she could have even won the 2nd set if not for some of the bold winners from kvitova at bps and gps (you know those winners that touched the line and could have easily gone out if kvitova wasn't at the absolute peak like she is now)

anyway, all of these things in retrospect is raising my expectations from her this year too i never learn
I agree with most of this. I've always thought Maria played pretty solidly in last year's Wimbledon final - maybe a bit too passive at times and gave Petra a few too many soft balls to tee off on, but it's not like she donated a boatload of errors, and in fairness Petra was really in the zone. Plus, people always say Maria got "stagefright" or "choked" in both her finals at Wimby last year and the AO this year - while that's true for the AO, at Wimbledon she was really totally engaged mentally, she was really fighting and kept clawing back breaks on willpower alone in the second set and was getting properly pumped up.

Yeah, another thing is people always say Maria only got to the final at Wimbledon last year because of a "cakewalk draw", which implies that she would have lost in the 3rd or 4th round or something if she'd gotten a "tougher draw" - but honestly, I don't think anyone apart from Kvitova and I guess Azarenka would've beaten Maria at last year's Wimbledon if they played her I mean, even though Maria was still some way off her best at last year's Wimbledon, who apart from those two would've been good enough to stop her? Venus obviously wasn't in condition too. Serena was a MESS at that tournament, barely getting past Halep and Rezai, it was only when she had a few weeks of solid training before Stanford that she got her game back to a semi-respectable level. So who would've stopped Maria getting to the latter stages? Bartoli? WOZNIACKI? It might've been a sign that the women's game was weak at that point that Maria was one of the best even while not playing close to her best, but that's not the same as having an easy draw, because whoever you put across the net from Maria at that point in time, most of them would've lost.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #19
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Maria's best match on grass in my opinion is the match she played against Sygiama at Wimbledon 2004, that match had everything .
Mr.Sharapova is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #20
country flag swissmr

swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute swissmr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Maria has played a great match on grass for quite a few years. I think, after her growth spurt in 2006, she really struggles to move on this surface compared to others.
swissmr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #21
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Any new additions after the Olympics? I was able to watch only her match against Lisicki and the final!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote