Former Players (and Venus) gush about Jennifer Capriati - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 19th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1
country flag tennisfan5

tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future
Former Players (and Venus) gush about Jennifer Capriati

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCou...853470,00.html

NEWPORT, RI, USA - Three-time Grand Slam champion and former World No.1 Jennifer Capriati was inducted into the International Tennis Hall Of Fame over the weekend, and the stars of the WTA - past and present - were all too happy to share their thoughts and messages about the American tennis icon...

Venus Williams on Jennifer...
"I remember when Jennifer went pro - I think everybody remembers that first week she played in Boca. I was so young, but I can recall all the excitement around her and how amazing her game was. I also remember her comeback, and how excited for her I was when she won her first major - how much that meant for her and just for everybody who comes back in life.

"I always respected Jennifer as a competitor. We had some amazing matches, like that crazy final at Miami in 2001. I won in the end, but only after facing eight match points! The crowd was totally behind Jennifer. People loved her - she was someone they really related to. Win, lose or draw, I think that match is a testament - hopefully for both of us it's a match we'll never forget.

"Being inducted into the International Tennis Hall Of Fame is another amazing day for Jennifer in her career. It's awesome."

Martina Hingis on Jennifer...
"Jennifer was a great thinker on the court: it wasn't just boom, boom. She had a great sense for the game and the talent to do the right thing in the right situations. I got to know Jennifer when we practiced together at Saddlebrook in the late '90s. I was already No.1 and she was coming back and was probably No.80 or something. But she was the Queen of Saddlebrook anyway! Our practices were always intense and such high quality. I think from practicing with me, she regained her confidence and realized she could play at the elite level.

"We pushed each other to train harder. We knew if we played well against each other, we could go out there and beat pretty much anybody. And Jennifer started playing great matches again, against the Williams sisters and Lindsay and me. For power, athleticism and quality of game, she was right up there.

"She could read me well and I could read her... there are only a few players you ever feel like that with. By the time we played the two finals in Australia it was like oh, we could have played in the backyard! Of course it was nicer to play in a big arena, even though it didn't go my way! But what Jennifer achieved is amazing. I was always compared to her, because if I made a 'youngest' record it was only because my birthday was six months later in the year than hers. One thing I didn't manage was Olympic champion at 16 - that is incredible."

Mary Pierce on Jennifer...
"I've known Jennifer since I was 10 or 11 years old - we played junior tennis in Florida together. I remember playing 12 and unders, she was a couple of years younger than me and playing in the 14 or 16 and unders... and doing very well! So she was already amazing, a star, at such a young age. So talented. So gifted. And as we would see, incredible fighting spirit. Jennifer is someone I really appreciate - I can always just see her laugh and smile. We had a lot of things in common and as we grew up on the tour together we became really close, good friends. There was a group of us that were almost inseparable for quite a few years. We had a lot of great memories on the court, off the court.

"I had a back injury and so I wasn't able to defend my French Open title in 2001 - I could only watch the tennis on TV. Every year, if you are the defending champion at a tournament, inevitably someone is going to try and take away your title. I couldn't have been happier that it was Jennifer."

Barbara Schett on Jennifer...
"I'm so proud of Jennifer and what she has achieved. Being inducted into the Hall of Fame is a great honor... I'm honored that I actually played with her on the tour, played so many matches against her. I hope she enjoys the moment.

"I think Jennifer has been an exceptional player. Her timing was up there with the very best. She would hit the ball so clean, like almost nobody else. She was blessed with talent but also her work ethic. I remember when I was 13, my federation sent me over to America to the Harry Hopman Academy. We were the same age and I just couldn't believe the way she was practicing.

"Later, I just loved hanging out with her. She was just easygoing and relaxed. And she was - she is - a superstar. Very down to earth. For me, as the little Austrian, it was very nice to be able to hang out with her and have dinners and watch movies. Off the court she was not somebody who did her own thing and didn't look left or right. She kind of let us be part of her life, which was great."

Lindsay Davenport on Jennifer...
"Everything that Jennifer accomplished career-wise, and even the backstory, makes Jennifer a worthy inductee to the Hall Of Fame. This was a player who had so much expectation on her, and just when people had given up on her she came back to win Grand Slams. Her victories in Australia will always stand out for me - especially against Hingis in 2002, when she came back from a set and 4-0 down. Jennifer's a fighter... she fought her way into the Hall of Fame.

"When Jennifer first came out of tour she had these great groundstrokes and everyone compared her to Chris Evert. But when she came back she was a power player and had developed her forehand into a real weapon. That, plus her speed and her attitude, made Jennifer a great champion. We played against each other many, many times and they were always tough battles. We were the same age, from the same country, two completely different personalities. We were polar opposites, but we definitely had a mutual respect for each other."

Iva Majoli on Jennifer...
"I think Jennifer's an unbelievable athlete - I mean, she was a superstar at 14 years old. Her all-around game was great and she was a tremendous mover, anticipating so well on the court. It was really hard to make a winner against her. Sometimes I watch her old matches and I think I can't believe she got to that ball and made a winner out of it. She never gave up, she played till the end, always. That's something I always admired about her. More than that, Jennifer has the biggest heart. She's a very good person. I think she always had trust in me and knew I was her friend and that went both ways. I always found it tough to play against close friends, and with Jennifer I was probably closest. Luckily we didn't play too much and when we did, we just tried to forget about it!

"To come back the way she did and get to No.1, you have to be special. I think if anybody deserves to be in the Hall Of Fame, she's the one. It's the biggest honor you can receive after such a successful career."

Martina Navratilova on Jennifer...
"The first time I played Jennifer was at Hilton Head, where they used to stage the Family Circle Cup. She had just come on the scene and was only 14. I won the match but I was like, 'God this kid's gonna be good.' Then I lost to her in the quarters at Wimbledon the following year - a crazy, rain-delayed match.

"Jennifer didn't really have any weaknesses. She moved well, had a good serve, a great forehand and backhand. If she came to the net she could put the ball away. It was really hard for me when I played her to know where to go.

"There's no doubt that Jennifer should be in the Hall Of Fame. Although she took breaks from the game, she has both the quality of record and the longevity. She played one of the all-time great matches at Roland Garros, beating Kim Clijsters in the final in 2001, 12-10 in the third. She won a couple of Australian titles and if she had beaten Monica Seles in the semis of the 1991 US Open she almost certainly would have beaten me in the final!"

tennisfan5 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2
country flag RenaSlam.

RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Former Players (and Venus) gush about Jennifer Capriati

No Sarin

Let the rivalry live on.
__W00.01.05.07.08__USO00.01__

Step.
RenaSlam. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice picture of Jen and her young American admirers.
Serena was already plotting to beating her

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Jul 19th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Great read, thx for sharing

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
country flag gmak

gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute

love that photo

but yeah, no Serena comments
Dementieva Clijsters Safina Novotna Davenport Seles Pierce Mauresmo Bovina Vaidisova Golovin Spirlea Farina Likhovtseva Monami Halard Rubin Bedanova Tulyaganova Maleeva Zvereva Sabatini
gmak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #6
country flag Mynarco
INAZUMA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Venus was much taller than Serena back then - when was this?

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #7
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always liked Capriati's game, so complete, I really enjoyed her athleticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Our practices were always intense and such high quality. I think from practicing with me, she regained her confidence and realized she could play at the elite level.
I love so much Martina.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #8
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Hingis is still so high on herself after all these years

Great read. Much appreciated

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #9
country flag olivero

olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute olivero has a reputation beyond repute

Great read, some amazing comments. Specially from Venus. Thanks
We miss you Jen.
olivero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #10
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post

I know what you mean, but it is an unforunate choice of word

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 11. 2013
Next Update Date: Post 2014 USO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #11
country flag V-MAC
blurring the lines between the real and the fake

V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute V-MAC has a reputation beyond repute

Martina would have to make it about her
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #12
country flag tennisfan5

tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future tennisfan5 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Great read, thx for sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post

Sure

and Martina still is--I love it
tennisfan5 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #13
country flag Miss Atomic Bomb

Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute Miss Atomic Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Leave it to Hingis to try and make everything about herself. She, just like her delusional fans, thinks she is some sort of a legend

Miss Atomic Bomb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #14
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
Leave it to Hingis to try and make everything about herself. She, just like her delusional fans, thinks she is some sort of a legend
She certainly is more marketable than your favourite.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #15
country flag Queenpova

Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute Queenpova has a reputation beyond repute

Leave it to Willytards to be pressed by Hingis years after her retirement. NID.

Legend Hingis <3
Queenpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote